PDA

View Full Version : Family Tree software

Gronnuck
28-Sep-11, 12:51
Can anyone recommend good family tree software please. I've looked at 'Family Tree Maker' by GPS Software and am impressed but what else is out there?

domino
28-Sep-11, 15:27
I use Legacy and have used it for years. Great program and it is free. Highly recommend

Oddquine
28-Sep-11, 17:54
I use Legacy as well.......moved from the free version to the paid one.......and am still wondering why I bothered. I recommend the free version as well.

sgmcgregor
28-Sep-11, 19:40
Gronnuck,

I use something called Brother's Keeper. I downloaded the free version as a trial (many moons ago), and never tried anything else. A small fee allows you to upgrade to the full version, but a trial version would allow you to compare it with any software suggested by others. As I've never tried anything else, I don't know what I could be missing and can't compare what I have to other packages available, but I'm happy enough with what I've got.

Steven

Durran
28-Sep-11, 20:43
Gronnuck,

Just to confuse you a little more, I strongly recommend RootsMagic. One very useful facility as that you can download the program, plus your files, to a Flash Drive and then use it on any other computer simply by plugging the drive into a USB port.

John

Gronnuck
29-Sep-11, 16:46
Thanks everyone. So far I've found most software publishers will allow you a 30 day trial before having to purchase or upgrade; I'm taking advantage of that.

Tricia
30-Sep-11, 23:24
Family Historian - used it for years.
very user and UK friendly.
http://www.family-historian.co.uk/

online help - forum - member group etc
and you can try it