PDA

View Full Version : care aware

bobandag16
28-Sep-11, 10:37
today happy birthday lady of 102. she gets good wishes from all. except caring highland council .as on 1 oct daily warden visits will be cut. where does it end. those responsible will never grow old. think.

poppett
28-Sep-11, 12:42
I was absolutely flabbergasted when I read the missive from Highland Council regarding the way they were going to gloss over your warden retiring.

I do not suffer from memory problems (thankfully, so far) but the letter had me thinking twice and I will have to mark my calendar to work out which days which weeks you have a warden. OK it is a two weekly rota basis and a pro rata reduction is being given for the four days a fortnight there is no warden, but the whole point of being allocated a sheltered house with warden visiting twice a day is that the resident needs that provision of care. Hoops had to be jumped through to get the house in the first place and this seems to be the thin edge of the wedge to leaving the old folks to fend for themselves.

Some of the residents genuinely have no family or friends to do anything for them, and being a purpose built complex there is no cross section of good neighbours who would help in an emergency situation. Pull the red cord, that goes to Aberdeen hub, who phone the keyholder to attend the emergency. We had this provision in place ten years ago and were told by social services that this level of care was not adequate for your needs and you had to seriously consider sheltered housing. You were 81 then, you are 91 now and the rug is being pulled out from under not just your feet, but the rest of your residential neighbours.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the deputy warden goes on holidays and there is no cover at all.

poppett
01-Oct-11, 18:51
It would seem the care at home service in Sutherland is in similar crisis as reported in The Northern Times this weekend. Well worth a read.