PDA

View Full Version : Japanese knotweed

Humerous Vegetable
27-Sep-11, 17:42
I heard a programme on (I think radio Scotland) last week about alien species in Scotland and how, if you have japanese knotweed in your garden, some banks and building societies will refuse a mortgage to any buyers you might have lined up. Apparently it will undermine brick or concrete foundations and cause the walls to collapse.
I wonder why, therefore, Highland council is studiously ignoring the ever-expanding very large clump growing on Thurso riverbank right next to the bridge? I think I first noticed it 7 or 8 years ago, and have never seen them doing anything with it in that time. Maybe the council is not responsible for the A9, but it must be responsible for the riverbank? We poor mugs will have to pay for a new bridge when it falls into the river after all. What about the seeds blowing everywhere into local gardens, so people won't be able to sell their houses? There doesn't seem to be anywhere on the council website with a list of places affected by alien species, and what they're doing about specific instances. Does anyone carry out risk assessments for example?

Duncansby
27-Sep-11, 19:16
There doesn't seem to be anywhere on the council website with a list of places affected by alien species, and what they're doing about specific instances. Does anyone carry out risk assessments for example?

Try here: http://www.highlandbiodiversity.com/htm/invasive-species/invasive-species.php. There's contact details for the Highland Council Biodiversity Officer on the page too.

Humerous Vegetable
28-Sep-11, 14:43
Thanks for that. I have emailed them, asking to see their risk assessment. I have past experience of this stuff in another area. It knocked my neighbour's block-build garage down.