PDA

View Full Version : Persistent offender jailed

Nwicker60
27-Sep-11, 14:39
Faces long prison terms if he doesn't behave- says sheriff

A SHERIFF has warned a persistent offender that he faces spending large parts of his life in prison if he doesn’t mend his ways.
The accused, Angus Cormack (24) was jailed for six months today, after he admitted breaching bail and curfew orders, at Wick Sheriff Court, today.
It was stated that he was one of several people police spoke to while making inquiries in Breadalbane Terrace, Wick, in the early hours of August 23. At the time, they didn’t realise he had breached, a 7am-7am curfew, but it subsequently came to light and Cormack also breached a bail order by not being available at his home in Main Street, Lybster, when police carried out a check.
Senior fiscal depute, David Barclay, said that a warrant was issued for Cormack’s address, but in the interval, he gave himself up.
Sheriff Andrew Berry, who took into account that the accused had co-operated with the police and had made a trial with 10 witnesses, unnecessary by changing his pleas to guilty told him: “It is entirely possible, that if you don’t start complying with what the court tells you, you are going to be faced with endless periods in prison.”
The sheriff went on say that although a young man, Cormack had been appearing in the court since the age of 17, and had clocked up almost four pages of convictions, for mostly “foolish behaviour” and failing to comply with bail orders.
Sheriff Berry add: “ I very much hope you are going to grasp the realities of co-operating with bail orders. I was very tempted to make the sentence longer than six months, but I won’ t do that.”
The term was backdated to September 1 when Cormack was remanded.
His plea of not guilty to two charges of theft in Breadalbane Terrace, was accepted by Mr Barclay.