PDA

View Full Version : Over the Ord 7

Nwicker60
27-Sep-11, 08:42
Academy got the win...I was happy with a ‘draw’

BY NOW, news of my good fortune in winning Wick Academy’s bumper 50/50 match draw, on Saturday, will be getting around, though not quite as extensively as that glorious, 9-1 thrashing of Coldstream, in the Scottish Cup.
As it happened, Lady Luck got a helping hand from Academy stalwart, Drewie Farquhar.
Normally, he is on duty at the gate and we exchange cracks about my continuing lack of success in the draw, as he issues me with my customary two tickets-one off the top of the pack, the other off the bottom, accompanied by my comment: “The system hasn’t done me any good, up to now, Drewie.”
However, as many of you will know, Drewie was unfortunately rushed into hospital, recently with an ulcer emergency operation, which I am glad to say was successful. As a result,, he wasn’t at his usual place, as I trundled through the gate with my camera gear and duly got my two tickets from another 50/50 salesman.
Fast forward to half-time and the 50/50 draw announcement. I turned to a fan behind the rail and displaying the ticket No 1377 moaned: “Would you credit that...one bloomin’ number off it!”. “Tough luck, Noel “ comiserated the supporter.
Then it dawned on me that, this time, I might have been given two tickets off the top. Could they have been consecutive. Sure enough, my other ticket was the winner, 17378 which, of course would have been on the bottom under Drewie’s top and bottom distribution and duly gone to another supporter.
On my way down the perimeter of the pitch, I encountered my neighbour, Michael Sutherland and broke the good news to him: “I’m off to collect my winnings”. He thought I was joking and it was only when he got a match call from another neighbour and Harmsworth Park groundsman , Dane Robertson, that he learned the truth.
As ‘luck’ would have it, Marge’s birthday falls this week, today in fact, so she will be getting an enhanced pressie out of the £190. There will be something too for my six grandchildren and the balance will go towards a new camera lens.
The draw was light years away in importance, of course, from Academy’s memorable win. Coldstream were getting nothing for their efforts as the first half progressed, and, just when it looked as if Academy were going to pull away from the visitors, after a couple of rapid goals, the Border boys got that all important reply that often keeps a team in with a chance.
Manager Davie Kirkwood told his players at the break that they would have to up the tempo, in the second period, but even he, couldn’t have anticipated they would run amok and rattle nine in.
Richard Macadie’s opening goal was an extra special one for him, personally. His grandfather Bill Mackay got Academy’s second strike the last time Academy met Coldstream in the cup, back in 1954. That 4-2 defeat, Wick suffered, all those years ago, has been well and truly avenged.
I was getting cross-eyed trying to note the scorers and times and catch the veritable avalanche of goals, on camera. Yesterday’s Daily Record gave the Scorries a splash in their sports section and I’ll wager there will be a few thousand word written before the eagerly-awaited second round fixture, due to be announced on the SFA website at 11am tomorrow. Where will the cup trail lead Academy?
Impossible to say at the moment. One thing is certain, though...if it’s an away tie, then the black and white cohorts will be on the move. I believe that the massive flag being waved at the Harmsworth, on Saturday was being referred to as the standard.
Couldn’t be more appropriate, cos that’s what an army carries into battle.