PDA

View Full Version : The Nature of the Org.

gleeber
25-Sep-11, 18:39
Ive thought for some time now that the nature of the org has changed but I can't be sure whether it's not me that's changed since I discovered the org. Probably a bit of both.
The org is only an electronic medium where individual people are able to post opinions about things that before the internet came along most of us would have considered in the cauldrums of our own heads. This kind of human contact was not open to ordinary people only 20 years ago and I think we are making a hash of it.
I was talking to someone recently whose been around the org a long time and when I suggested I had hope for the org to overcome some of the more disagreeable events we see on our screens his reaction was not as optimistic as my own asperations.
Surely the orgs better than this. Is there anything we could do to make the org a nicer place to spend some time?

Commore
25-Sep-11, 18:44
Ive thought for some time now that the nature of the org has changed but I can't be sure whether it's not me that's changed since I discovered the org. Probably a bit of both.
The org is only an electronic medium where individual people are able to post opinions about things that before the internet came along most of us would have considered in the cauldrums of our own heads. This kind of human contact was not open to ordinary people only 20 years ago and I think we are making a hash of it.
I was talking to someone recently whose been around the org a long time and when I suggested I had hope for the org to overcome some of the more disagreeable events we see on our screens his reaction was not as optimistic as my own asperations.
Surely the orgs better than this. Is there anything we could do to make the org a nicer place to spend some time?

What are your suggestions,

gleeber
25-Sep-11, 18:54
I dont have any. Im putting it out there in the hope that some others may have suggestions. I dont feel bullied or even attempts to shame me but I can read between the lines and see how people may be affected by some of the stuff Ive read on here. Perhaps the person I was talking to was right? this is it.
Do you have an opinion?

Spongeboab
25-Sep-11, 19:05

have it organised like a pub, lounge bar for polite chit chat/boring stuff and a public bar area for swearing, arguing and lively debate

linnie612
25-Sep-11, 19:16
have it organised like a pub, lounge bar for polite chit chat/boring stuff and a public bar area for swearing, arguing and lively debate

Ah but there's only a door separating the two, or maybe a short corridor..:)

Commore
25-Sep-11, 19:24
On the whole, I think the org is an ok place to be, I personally have only ever had one bad experience, however, there are those I believe who go all out to antagonise others.
I am maybe missing the point of your post, I don't really see what it is you wish to see changed.
:)

Rheghead
25-Sep-11, 19:27
Stop the facility to quote other posters remarks and ban copy and pasting the same as well, that way threads will become less confrontation and more constructive.

bekisman
25-Sep-11, 19:36
And maybe repping as some do overdo it at times..

linnie612
25-Sep-11, 19:36
Stop the facility to quote other posters remarks and ban copy and pasting the same as well, that way threads will become less confrontation and more constructive.

I doubt it. Look how many spin-off threads have been started by people who feel they haven't had 'the right to reply'.

NickInTheNorth
25-Sep-11, 19:45
pretty simple really - people need to learn to add those who's opinions wind them up to their ignore list, and also need to learn that others have a right to their opinion too.

it is self restraint that is needed, not more petty restrictions.

Torvaig
25-Sep-11, 19:49
"Surely the orgs better than this. Is there anything we could do to make the org a nicer place to spend some time?"

I had just written a reply to your post Gleeber and then it all disappeared! Maybe it was trying to tell me I was talking nonsense!

I think the anonymity of the org urges us to be more vociferous in our postings than we would be face to face. I certainly have written some replies then edited them to soften the tone as I am sure many other orgers have.

Talking and debating with someone in print is more open to using antagonistic words than if we are conversing face to face.

I find it easy to dash off a reply with indignant haste but try to moderate it before I press enter and usually feel the better of it.

When talking to someone in person you are able to look them in the eye and connect with them is some way that is not possible in print. You see their raw reactions and can read what is left unsaid.

There is more empathy with someone in a face to face conversation than there is in the written word.

Maybe we should all communicate through Skype or at least sit back and self-moderate before we press enter.

Mind you, as someone said to me recently when I challenged them about their belligerence in many a conversation "But I like to argue!"

And who can argue with that!

Bazeye
25-Sep-11, 20:10
When talking to someone in person you are able to look them in the eye and connect with them is some way that is not possible in print. You see their raw reactions and can read what is left unsaid.There is more empathy with someone in a face to face conversation than there is in the written word.

And that, to me, in a nutshell, is it.

squidge
25-Sep-11, 21:26
Always always always attack the post not the poster.

If you are wrong say you are wrong and for goodness sake stop taking it so personally - its not real life!

ducati
25-Sep-11, 22:03

If you are wrong say you are wrong and for goodness sake stop taking it so personally - its not real life!

Yes and avoid threads that will wind you up....er unless you want to be wound up :lol:

Errogie
25-Sep-11, 22:29
Unfortunately it's not possible to avoid some of the less attractive aspects of human behaviour any more than a drunk on the street or litter louts and perhaps we shouldn't loose sight of these frailities.
But I miss the original thought and zany humour which I think used to be more of the ORG hallmark. Perhaps it will return and I need to kick of some more topics when this fishing season finishes up and the clocks go back.

Metalattakk
26-Sep-11, 02:24

Bingo!

Douze points.

gleeber
26-Sep-11, 10:19

I agree with the first part but disagree with the second part.
This is as much a part of real life as going to a wedding. The org evokes feelings and it's feeling that are the driving forces behind most actions human beings take. We live and die by our feelings so I would say that the feelings evoked by the org are even more real than the ones we will encounter at a wedding. I mean its unlikely if you met a stranger at a wedding with a speech impedement or difficulties in forming sentences you would call them an idiot. No such etiquette on the org. :lol:
Now that I think about it I'm not so sure I agree with the first part either. I would find it difficult to seperate the post from the poster. The post is after all a reflection of the posters character so if we disagree with a post it's the character of the poster that's on trial.
Like most things though the important thing is to discuss them respectfully and if our posts are challenged perhaps then we would do well to consider the other persons point before we go off on one.
Peoples feelings get hurt on here and thats as real as it gets.

Rheghead
26-Sep-11, 11:30
The post is after all a reflection of the posters character so if we disagree with a post it's the character of the poster that's on trial.

Och away auld friend. Keep it to the post and make no personal judgements that is how I intend to go on yet I'm snagging many pitiful fish in a net of the other's making.

NickInTheNorth
26-Sep-11, 11:35
I would find it difficult to seperate the post from the poster.

The post is after all a reflection of the posters character so if we disagree with a post it's the character of the poster that's on trial.

Given that you probably know nothing about the poster how on earth can you hope to constructively discuss anything based on the poster.

The post is not a reflection of the character of the poster, simply what that poster has chosen to post - again you are unlikely to know anything about the character of the poster.

The only way to have any sort of discussion in real life or on-line is to simply discuss/argue based on the facts which are put up for perusal.

cuddlepop
26-Sep-11, 15:56
it is different on the org these days.
Many of the "zanny" posters are gone and with that alot of the fun,less serious threads.

Its the posters that make the org so maybe we should all try to be a bit more light hearted when we post,where appropriate.

Cant remember who started the pub thread but that was a good one.

gleeber
26-Sep-11, 17:22
Och away auld friend. Keep it to the post and make no personal judgements that is how I intend to go on yet I'm snagging many pitiful fish in a net of the other's making.
Aye your a fine fellow Rheghead and your never far from the action but I'll tell you one thing. Some of your posts are a right bunch of plonkers. :lol:
I take on board that a number of you have the same opinion and that it may be a blind spot for me but I cant see how you can seperate the post from the poster or a persons words from their character.
Communication and contact is about passing snippets of information from one person to another. Once that information has been recieved its effect on the reciever will normally prompt a reaction. Mostly those reactions will be internal and will be absorbed into the persons psychological make-up and along with a number of other determining factors the reciever will find the information favourable or disagreeable. Now if the information was favourable, for example coming from Churchill during the war, It will be a good contact and Churchill as the speaker will be completely associated with his speeches. You cant seperate the two though. Now, because of deeper national interests and other such invisible dynamics his speeches will indeed be the focus of attention but there's no doubt where they came from. Similarily with posts on the org. How do you seperate the two? How do you seperate my post from me and who I am? If you respond to my post your responding to me and my opinion which is a part of me as much as my nose. If my post is a plonker then so am I.
And your telling me that a persons character doent shine through the words he uses and we dont react to the person? Convince me otherwise.

ducati
26-Sep-11, 17:44
it is different on the org these days.
Many of the "zanny" posters are gone and with that alot of the fun,less serious threads.

Its the posters that make the org so maybe we should all try to be a bit more light hearted when we post,where appropriate.

Cant remember who started the pub thread but that was a good one.

Everytime I try that I get infarctions :eek:

ducati
26-Sep-11, 17:46
We frequently get threads like this and they are very annoying. The OP is saying I want the org to be my way. Well it ain't!

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON [lol]

gleeber
26-Sep-11, 17:52
We frequently get threads like this and they are very annoying. The OP is saying I want the org to be my way. Well it ain't!

Is that what im saying?
Ill need to consider that

Corrie 3
26-Sep-11, 18:29
I'm staying out of this thread because I do believe the .Org started going downhill when I joined!!!!

C3..................:roll::roll:;)

gleeber
26-Sep-11, 18:46

Well I considered it over my spaghetti and the answer is no I dont want the org to be my way but I am interested in why you would think that?
I think the org could be more than it is. Its more than a platform for one line comedians and people with an interest in getting reactions from others but unless we consider the problems that have developed over the years theres little anyone can do. Perhaps im niave and too idealistic for my own good but somethings not to the satisfaction of a lot of orgers and ex-orgers and to be honest I am losing interest which bothers me because Ive always enjoyed the org and the contact it gives me with the world.
At the very least we can talk about.
Every community has a forum for debate whether its tribesmen in the Amazon or the Wick community council. Why should the org not discuss itself?

ducati
26-Sep-11, 19:39
Well I considered it over my spaghetti and the answer is no I dont want the org to be my way but I am interested in why you would think that?
I think the org could be more than it is. Its more than a platform for one line comedians and people with an interest in getting reactions from others but unless we consider the problems that have developed over the years theres little anyone can do. Perhaps im niave and too idealistic for my own good but somethings not to the satisfaction of a lot of orgers and ex-orgers and to be honest I am losing interest which bothers me because Ive always enjoyed the org and the contact it gives me with the world.
At the very least we can talk about.
Every community has a forum for debate whether its tribesmen in the Amazon or the Wick community council. Why should the org not discuss itself?

Presumably it changes over time with new users appearing and old ones disapearing, the nature of any community. And the originals don't like it. Happens everywhere, why not here?

gleeber
26-Sep-11, 19:48
You see? Once again your suggesting I dont like the change. The truth is the org forums havnt really changed. Theyve always been a bit like they are now but the whole internet thing is becoming more familiar and the old saying familiarity breeds contempt. My point is could we do more with it than has been done up until now? There's been some awful things said on here and a lot of it is very subtle and is designed to penetrate. Those are the worst kind. At least when Shelley lost it everyone knew where they stood. No innuendo and people wondering what exactly are the trying to say?
Do you know what I mean?

Commore
26-Sep-11, 19:56
Perhaps the present day org is as it is because of the negativity felt by many in the present way the world is.
When people are struggling, they find it hard to be endlessy zany or humorous all the time,
the org to me personally is a mere tool, a means to an end and occasionally to find a really good friend anon or not whatever the case may be.

ducati
26-Sep-11, 19:57
You see? Once again your suggesting I dont like the change. The truth is the org forums havnt really changed. Theyve always been a bit like they are now but the whole internet thing is becoming more familiar and the old saying familiarity breeds contempt. My point is could we do more with it than has been done up until now? There's been some awful things said on here and a lot of it is very subtle and is designed to penetrate. Those are the worst kind. At least when Shelley lost it everyone knew where they stood. No innuendo and people wondering what exactly are the trying to say?
Do you know what I mean?

Well I think they have changed, even in the short time I have been posting. It used to be a lot more fun for one thing. With regular contributions from the likes of Northerner, tubthumper, Turquoise and Yoda the frump for example.

The first time I really got interested was when that massive global warming conspiracy thread was at its height and all kicking off. Sadly missed that kind of carry on.

Kenn
26-Sep-11, 20:02
It's bound to expand and contract as people come and go for what ever reasons.
When The Org was set up all those years ago, it was a novelty to both those within and outside the county but over the period of time it has been running there have been many changes both in perception of what it is about and how one should be allowed to express one's self.
This is a natural progression and has to be tried to see what is permissable and what is not.
It still remains a great source of information, humour,good sense (at times,) and has brought many people together who would not otherwise have met and in many cases become friends despite the fact that they may be seperated by vast distances.
What ever it evolves into we cannot know but I for one am looking forward to the next ten years of it's existance.

gleeber
26-Sep-11, 20:08
Well there you go then. Somethings happened and there's been loads of Northerners and Tubthumpers who dont post any more. Its been happening for 10 years. Same thing. All im asking is could it be any different? Why dont they post any more although I know they probably still keep up and let the blood pressure boil but for some reason they dont bother. Theres a pattern developing here. Maybe Im missing it and the others are right about the difference between post and posters but they still have to defend their case about that. I dont blame the Christians for keeping clear but you would think the atheists would have more sense. :lol:

gleeber
26-Sep-11, 20:09
Thats right Lizz. Maybe theres nothing the orgers can do about it. Its a monster in its own right.

Kenn
26-Sep-11, 20:43
Lol gleeber.
Over the years you have posted many profound items, asked questions, pondered the whys and wherefores and added some excellent dry humour but you like myself have stayed.
There are others who for many reasons feel that they cannot do that or have moved on with other things to occupy their lives.
May be some of us just have skins thicker than a rhinocerous !

gleeber
26-Sep-11, 21:01
Lol gleeber.
Over the years you have posted many profound items, asked questions, pondered the whys and wherefores and added some excellent dry humour but you like myself have stayed.
There are others who for many reasons feel that they cannot do that or have moved on with other things to occupy their lives.
May be some of us just have skins thicker than a rhinocerous !
My excuse is I have no where else to go. Ive tried a few forums but they cottoned on till me pretty quick and were as rude to me as some long time orgers are rude in here. Its the nature of the beast.

sassylass
26-Sep-11, 21:29
This is the most interesting thread I've read in awhile (apart from Are There Vampires in Portgower [lol]). I'll tell you why I stopped posting and took long holidays from here. My personal life got hectic and stressful, and I couldn't abide the negativity on here. For years it was a positive, entertaining, and meaningful social place, then there were accusations of cliques, viciousness, and an active campaign to ruin the forum. At least that's how it appeared. Lately, I find myself drawn back to it. There is always ebb and flow to life, and I suppose forums are no different. I'm glad to see this place taking an upturn.

p.s. Commore has something there, the world situation has affected us all deeply. Food for thought.

squidge
26-Sep-11, 21:41
I agree with the first part but disagree with the second part.
This is as much a part of real life as going to a wedding. The org evokes feelings and it's feeling that are the driving forces behind most actions human beings take. We live and die by our feelings so I would say that the feelings evoked by the org are even more real than the ones we will encounter at a wedding. I mean its unlikely if you met a stranger at a wedding with a speech impedement or difficulties in forming sentences you would call them an idiot. No such etiquette on the org. :lol:
Now that I think about it I'm not so sure I agree with the first part either. I would find it difficult to seperate the post from the poster. The post is after all a reflection of the posters character so if we disagree with a post it's the character of the poster that's on trial.
Like most things though the important thing is to discuss them respectfully and if our posts are challenged perhaps then we would do well to consider the other persons point before we go off on one.
Peoples feelings get hurt on here and thats as real as it gets.

Lol Gleeber, I disagree with you - the character of a poster is not "on trial" if we disagree with a poster. I disagree with people all the time but that doesnt mean their character is in question. The thing about the org that I find strange and sometime's incredulous is the inability of some posters to disagree without being personal and unpleasant. If you dont agree with something then disagree with IT, the opinion, the comments, the issues raised but I never ever assume that the poster is thick stupid, common, unpleasant, stuck up or other adjectives that I have seen applied to various people in the posts here over the years. I was once accuse by Fred I think of "never having liked" him. As I pointed out to him then, and will reiterate now, I didnt know him, i did not agree and sometimes disliked his opionions and theories and the manner in which he argued them but if he had been down here and invited me for coffee I would have gone and Im sure we would have had a laugh or two.

This is not and never will be real life. It is a "window" thats all, its like sitting on the top deck of the bus in winter and being able to see into people's living rooms where their curtains are open and lights on. You can IMAGINE that you know what you are seeing but you dont know and your imaginings dont make it real life. When people confuse what happens here for real life their feelings can get hurt and thats a shame but you can either cry and sulk about it or you can do what Shelley did and indeed what I did on Golach's other forum he mentioned and thats stand up for yourself and tell those that are behaving badly by bullying or insulting or having a dig at you to get lost. They dont know you, they would walk past you in the street with no more idea of who you are than the next person. IF they dont know you and its not real life then they cant hurt you or threaten you in a meaningful way.

There is no doubt that the internet is powerful and we are still learning how to use it and in many cases not let it take over our lives, it is also true that real friendships and relationships are formed on here. There are many people I have met through this forum and many for whom I have a true and lasting affection - it is only at THAT point - the point of meeting or knowing someone that it becomes real life. Maybe it feels real in a way that other forums dont because it is Caithness, It is cosy and everyone knows everyone else in real life and on here too in a way that is unlikely to be the case in other forums.

gleeber
26-Sep-11, 21:42
p.s. Commore has something there, the world situation has affected us all deeply. Food for thought.
It was a good point. Probably there are lots of reasons and because the whole thing was comparitively new its taken a while for a definite pattern to emerge. People are so statistically inclined and they dont even know it. :lol:
Funny about the Portgower thread though sassy. I avoided it like the plague and just didnt get it. Made me feel left out like a catholic kid in a protestant school.:lol:

gleeber
26-Sep-11, 21:51
Lol Gleeber, I disagree with you - the character of a poster is not "on trial

I was using poetic licence squidge but Im not a good poet. :confused
I dont see the difference between a window on real life and life itself. All of it changes us.
I still stand my ground. Words are only words its the feelings that matter.

Moira
26-Sep-11, 22:29
I was using poetic licence squidge but Im not a good poet. :confused
I dont see the difference between a window on real life and life itself. All of it changes us.
I still stand my ground. Words are only words its the feelings that matter.

I'm no poet either but I appreciate your first point.

I would also agree with your second point.

Yes, you are right, feelings matter.

Which is why I still post on these forums. I've met some great folk through my time on here and am still in touch with the majority of them. I'm stiill looking to expand my horizons. Please feel free to contact me.

teddybear1873
26-Sep-11, 22:54
I still think the org is still high on the list of majority of people in here. It's my homepage so that says it for me so it's my first glance when I get on the pc which is not everyday. Sometimes I'm not near a pc for a week.

I used to love the chatroom in the beginning of the org. I cant say if it's the same crack it was back then, cause I'm hardly in there anymore.

oldmarine
26-Sep-11, 23:09
I like the Org the way it is now organized. I enjoy reading other people's comments whether I agree with them or not. I have the right to comment on others people's views as long as I don't make un-true statements or personally attack a person with un-acceptabble behavier. If I do I can expect action from those policing the Org.

Tubthumper
27-Sep-11, 10:23
I still like it, I'm just tied up with other stuff these days. :D

(And my poetry got boring...)

Torvaig
27-Sep-11, 16:29

You mean you have a life Tubs; that's not fair; time some of the rest of us did too......

P.S. your poetry was never boring.....

sandyr1
28-Sep-11, 19:04
You mean you have a life Tubs; that's not fair; time some of the rest of us did too......

P.S. your poetry was never boring.....

I concur!................................

golach
28-Sep-11, 19:18
I concur!................................

I do also......

sandyr1
28-Sep-11, 20:02

BTW...What on earth could be more important than reading the rants on the ORG, and commenting...so differently!
It gave us some respite from the some of the 'air heads' on here/ Yes me included! So there you are...................

gleeber
28-Sep-11, 21:16
Theres was something unique about the poetry but it also charictertured the org in a particular fashion that made it instantly recognisable. Might have been bad poetry but it was never boring. :lol:

Moira
28-Sep-11, 22:46

Unlike you Tubthumper, I dislike the format most of the time now.

Like you I have a very busy life.

Your poetry was never boring, it was just rubbillish,,,,,,,,,, ;)

oldmarine
29-Sep-11, 15:54
Unlike you Tubthumper, I dislike the format most of the time now.

Like you I have a very busy life.

Your poetry was never boring, it was just rubbillish,,,,,,,,,, ;)

Moira, you may have a good point here. It seems the interest is down a bit. Looks like I have less of a problem than many of you as I am retired and have more time to use looking at this forum. [lol]:lol:

Moira
29-Sep-11, 20:27
Oldmarine, the forums are usually a bit quieter during the summer months but usually become busier during the long, dark winter nights in Caithness. It was dark by 7.30 pm here tonight so...... not long to wait now...... :)

I'm not sure which I prefer. The rants caused by the heat of the sun in summer or the rants caused by the cabin fever just after Christmas. ;)

Birons
29-Sep-11, 23:45
Oldmarine, the forums are usually a bit quieter during the summer months but usually become busier during the long, dark winter nights in Caithness. It was dark by 7.30 pm here tonight so...... not long to wait now...... :)

I'm not sure which I prefer. The rants caused by the heat of the sun in summer or the rants caused by the cabin fever just after Christmas. ;)

I was considering getting some light boxes in for Christmas, I have heard that they work.

Light Boxes and Light Treatment For S.A.D - Sadbox.co.uk (http://forum.caithness.org/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=lightboxes&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CIYBEBYwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sadbox.co.uk%2F&ei=b_OETqnoM8TOhAfJsPztDA&usg=AFQjCNFGzViEajk87jX6xdoSSQI205XMmg)

Corrie 3
30-Sep-11, 09:39
I was considering getting some light boxes in for Christmas, I have heard that they work.

Light Boxes and Light Treatment For S.A.D - Sadbox.co.uk (http://forum.caithness.org/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=lightboxes&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CIYBEBYwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sadbox.co.uk%2F&ei=b_OETqnoM8TOhAfJsPztDA&usg=AFQjCNFGzViEajk87jX6xdoSSQI205XMmg)
I have quite a few friends who have these Birons and they wouldnt be without them, they do seem to perk you up and the one's with alarms on make sure you wake up to a sunny morning every morning!!

C3....:)