PDA

View Full Version : ordering on ebay

funky-dunky
25-Sep-11, 17:04
Hi i was just wondering if anyone has ever ordered something from china before through ebay?
I am wanting to order something that is going to cost over £200 and my partner has doubts of if we will actually recieve the goods or not once we pay for it

starfish
25-Sep-11, 17:07
i ordered a dress not that much in money it arrived in the said time and was a lovely little dress for my grand daughter half the price of one over here and less postage

nicnak
25-Sep-11, 17:27
we have loads of stuff through ebay from china and never had any problems, just be prepared that it can take slightly longer for it to be delivered than when you order from the uk, also be prepared that over a certain amount you have to pay the import tax yourself.

rogermellie
25-Sep-11, 17:31
a lot of counterfeit stuff comes from China and the Far East, so beware

having said that, if you're paying through Paypal you're protected

Mrs Sweetie
25-Sep-11, 17:34
I have ordered a couple of things and they arrived without any problem but they weren't as expensive as £200. What is the seller's feedback like? If you pay via Paypal with a credit card you have protection from both companies I think?

You are right to be wary though. I am a member of a craft forum where a number of folk bought what they thought were electrical items and some of them received things like a paperclip! They have received refunds via Paypal, I think, but it was all a hassle for them and some were out of pocket as they paid to have the item returned for a refund from China - which did not materialise.

When I buy from an unknown source I often do a Google search with the seller's name and the word 'complaints' in the address bar and see if anything comes up. :)

theone
25-Sep-11, 18:45
If the seller has good feedback and you pay through paypal you should be okay.

Remember though that goods coming from China are subject to VAT and import duty, so you might get a demand from customs for some money.

Dadie
25-Sep-11, 20:21
Have a wee look to see what the feedback is for, as well as how good it is.
If its for loads of low value goods and nothing else in the same price bracket...ie you said it was £200 and the feedback is all for things at £1-£10 I would be wary!
But if they have sold quite a few high value goods with good feedback it would be better.

Kodiak
25-Sep-11, 22:16
I have ordered quite a bit from several different sellers in China and Hong Kong. I have always received what I ordered.

Also remember if you pay via PayPal you are covered for up to £500 for any single item bought on eBay.

george1234
25-Sep-11, 22:20
ordered an A-Pad from china, said it would take 14-21 days to arrive, it too 8 days to arrive. well happy with it all.

bigk
26-Sep-11, 07:28
check the sellers feedback and use paypal and you will not have any problems......some things only take a week or so to arrive as well...personally never had any problems myself.

funky-dunky
26-Sep-11, 18:21
Thanks for all the comments just wasnt sure on what to think, i know mydad has been ripped of fby people on ebay then police couldnt do anything as the person that conned him off £200 then deleted his ebay account, ever since i am just weary off,
I want to order my wedding dress from china so wasnt sure if i had anything to worry about etc, which is costing me over £200 just didnt want to waste my money :)

kerry9316
26-Sep-11, 19:11
Hi
If its for a wedding dress I used Milly Bridal my dress was amazing and cost £120 I sent them a picture of an Alfred Angelo (£900 dress) that I couldnt afford and this copy was even better as they made a few changes. If you google them you will find they have their own site and sell on ebay if you want I can PM you pictures of my dress. They send you progress throughout the making of the dress etc so if you are worried ref security of your money plus you still pay via paypal then they might be worth a look!
Good luck with the wedding plans

oldmarine
26-Sep-11, 23:16
Hi i was just wondering if anyone has ever ordered something from china before through ebay?
I am wanting to order something that is going to cost over £200 and my partner has doubts of if we will actually recieve the goods or not once we pay for it
Never ordered anything from China nor ebay. I likewise have my doubts on China as I was stationed there at the end of WW2 and visited there again for a WW2 reunion in 1992. From my experiences I would not take a chance on ebay or on anything bought in China. For you braver ones be very carefully on what you do.

Kodiak
27-Sep-11, 14:08
oldmarine since you have never bought anything from eBay or from China then you have no idea what protection there is as a Buyer.

Also since the last time you visited China was in 1992 you are at least 20 years out of date and by the sound of what you wrote your mindset of China is coloured by your experience in the 2nd World War. Over 60 years ago.

As I have stated above if you buy through eBay and pay via PayPal then you are safe as you have buyers protection of up to £500. Makes no difference where the seller lives, be it China, Hong Kong, USA or even Thurso, you have the same protection.

I have bought several things from China and I have always received my item swiftly and well packed.

Leanne
27-Sep-11, 18:39
I've bought several items from China and all have been really well packaged, usually arrived within a couple of weeks (well it is China) and most have offered free P&P (probably why it took 3 weeks). No bad transactions yet :)

shazzap
27-Sep-11, 18:40
oldmarine since you have never bought anything from eBay or from China then you have no idea what protection there is as a Buyer.

Also since the last time you visited China was in 1992 you are at least 20 years out of date and by the sound of what you wrote your mindset of China is coloured by your experience in the 2nd World War. Over 60 years ago.

As I have stated above if you buy through eBay and pay via PayPal then you are safe as you have buyers protection of up to £500. Makes no difference where the seller lives, be it China, Hong Kong, USA or even Thurso, you have the same protection.

I have bought several things from China and I have always received my item swiftly and well packed.

Do you have to pay duty, on these transactions.

Leanne
27-Sep-11, 18:44
Do you have to pay duty, on these transactions.

Yes but the items are normally a lot cheaper anyway.

shazzap
27-Sep-11, 18:45
Yes but the items are normally a lot cheaper anyway.

How do you go about this please. Have no idea.

Leanne
27-Sep-11, 18:47
How do you go about this please. Have no idea.

Customs will send you an invoice. Sometimes one doesn't arrive...

shazzap
27-Sep-11, 18:50
Customs will send you an invoice. Sometimes one doesn't arrive...

Sorry to bother you further but. What are the approximate fees.

Leanne
27-Sep-11, 18:57
Sorry to bother you further but. What are the approximate fees.

Just VAT at 20%. They are hit and miss in sending out invoices - seems they don't really want the money lol. You don't pay VAT on gifts but it is actually fraudulent to mark a package you bought as a gift... Keep an eye on what they put as the value on the side of the package though - sometimes they will put an insurance value rather than the sale price and you can end up paying more VAT than you need to. Just send a copy of your receipt to the address on the invoice and they will charge you the real value. This happens because some sellers are a bit naughty in overinflating the price in case of insurance claims.

shazzap
27-Sep-11, 19:07
Just VAT at 20%. They are hit and miss in sending out invoices - seems they don't really want the money lol. You don't pay VAT on gifts but it is actually fraudulent to mark a package you bought as a gift... Keep an eye on what they put as the value on the side of the package though - sometimes they will put an insurance value rather than the sale price and you can end up paying more VAT than you need to. Just send a copy of your receipt to the address on the invoice and they will charge you the real value. This happens because some sellers are a bit naughty in overinflating the price in case of insurance claims.

Thank you.

oldmarine
27-Sep-11, 20:41

Thank you for the update. I just learned something new although I doubt I will buy anything on ebay or from China.

Vistravi
27-Sep-11, 20:58
I have only skimmed through the posts so not sure if anyone mentioned this. Hong Kong offers higher chance of good products than the rest of china.

Counterfit items and substandard or poor quality is far more likely from those sellers or in my case 'Distributors' (high volume suppliers) based outside of Hong Kong.

It may also depend on the item you are purchasing, whether couterfits are likely.

If it's too cheap there is probably a good reason.

As someone else has probably said by now if the feedback is less than 99.1% for a high volume seller, don't look any further into them, there is no need.

Scout
28-Sep-11, 11:43
What you have to remember most items you have in your home including Ipod Mobile phone etc are made in China cloths TV computers that is why UK has little industry left so not all is rubbish from China the other thing you need to remember their posting is a lot cheaper then here You can send a parcel from Hong Kong lot less then sending from here to London. And they even work on Sunday to post things off I don't think that would work well in Scotland :D

funky-dunky
28-Sep-11, 16:27
Hi
If its for a wedding dress I used Milly Bridal my dress was amazing and cost £120 I sent them a picture of an Alfred Angelo (£900 dress) that I couldnt afford and this copy was even better as they made a few changes. If you google them you will find they have their own site and sell on ebay if you want I can PM you pictures of my dress. They send you progress throughout the making of the dress etc so if you are worried ref security of your money plus you still pay via paypal then they might be worth a look!
Good luck with the wedding plans

Hiya thanks for your comment, i'll have a look out for them :)

cazmanian_minx
29-Sep-11, 16:48
Try aliexpress.com as well as eBay - they'll hold your money in an escrow account until you confirm that you've received what you ordered and you're happy with it.

Do allow plenty of time for a wedding dress though, the shop I bought mine from in Inverness was telling me that she'd had several brides in a terrible panic because they'd ordered dresses from China and what had turned up was unwearable.