PDA

View Full Version : caithness and other drivers

windowman
24-Sep-11, 17:06
what is the need off speed slow down and save a life .no need to speed as you get there in time thanks

Kodiak
24-Sep-11, 18:52
This would have been an interesting post, I think, but I am nor sure at all what the OP is on about. Anyone care to translate for me.

Corrie 3
24-Sep-11, 19:01
This would have been an interesting post, I think, but I am nor sure at all what the OP is on about. Anyone care to translate for me.
"Drivers of Caithness and drivers not from Caithness. Why do you all think you need to speed on our roads? Slow down and save a life, you will still get to where you are going without the need for speed"!!.....
I think its something like that anyway Kodiak.

I will just add my own bit.!....... "Better to get there late than not get there at all"!!!

C3......................:roll:;)

bcsman
24-Sep-11, 19:32
or its better to be 5 minutes late in this life than 5 minutes early in the next

"Drivers of Caithness and drivers not from Caithness. Why do you all think you need to speed on our roads? Slow down and save a life, you will still get to where you are going without the need for speed"!!.....
I think its something like that anyway Kodiak.

I will just add my own bit.!....... "Better to get there late than not get there at all"!!!

C3......................:roll:;)

joxville
24-Sep-11, 20:15
'I'm too important to care about speed limits, I just wish all you slow drivers would stay out of my bloody way', is the arrogant attitude more and more these days, especially drivers of German made cars.

ducati
24-Sep-11, 20:30
And Italian...if god wanted us to survive crashes he would have given us airbags :eek:

Kevin Milkins
24-Sep-11, 21:44
I don't drive very fast, (in fact I don't do anything very fast).

I would consider myself to be a safe driver and over thirty years without a scrape I think is good, however, the accidents that have been near misses due to impatient drivers that try unsafe maneuvers to get by me is another story.

nospropertyservices
24-Sep-11, 21:57
As a father of a young baby worse fear is other road users, i am no saint when it comes to driving i occasionally drive at 65 - 70 but when wee one is in the car 50 - 60 the thing is people overtaking on blind summits and blind corners that’s just dangerous a little comon sense to those who are in a hurry 80 +

Fly
24-Sep-11, 22:29
What really annoys me are the ones who totally ignore the speed limits eg the 40 limit at Reiss, 50 at Murkle and 30 at Keiss as that is a blind hill coming from the north.

rogermellie
24-Sep-11, 23:07
maybe if the police were a bit more discreet, didn't stand out a mile away like a hi viz beacon and drivers didn't flash oncoming drivers to warn others of their presence there'd be a few more prosecutions.

my favourites are the (usually older) drivers who pootle along at 40 - 50 mph and then carry on through the villages at the same speed

sandyr1
24-Sep-11, 23:21
maybe if the police were a bit more discreet, didn't stand out a mile away like a hi viz beacon and drivers didn't flash oncoming drivers to warn others of their presence there'd be a few more prosecutions.

my favourites are the (usually older) drivers who pootle along at 40 - 50 mph and then carry on through the villages at the same speed

Perhaps if you look at it this way...
Speed Prevention is as good as charging someone....
i.e. The Police being seen and those that flash their light are also doing a service.....

rogermellie
24-Sep-11, 23:37
sorry, can't agree with you, all people do is slow down (put their seat belts on and lower their mobile) then as soon as their past, they speed up again and resume their call.

3 points + is the best speed prevention

mi16
25-Sep-11, 08:45
dont see the issue with speed here, speed never hurt anyone

Bazeye
25-Sep-11, 11:58
It does if it hits you.

Corrie 3
25-Sep-11, 12:22
dont see the issue with speed here, speed never hurt anyone
Speed......plus idiot driver = hurt or even death!!!!

C3............[disgust][disgust]

Dialyser
25-Sep-11, 14:10
I agree that excessive speed in the wrong place and or conditions is dangerous. However I also think that drivers who fail to make suffcient progress, for example drivers who sit at 30-45 mph on national speed limit roads in clear conditions are just as dangerous.

ducati
25-Sep-11, 16:17
Nope. They may be irritating but the accident is caused by the impatient driver overtaking in the wrong place.

Gronnuck
25-Sep-11, 17:59
I agree that excessive speed in the wrong place and or conditions is dangerous. However I also think that drivers who fail to make suffcient progress, for example drivers who sit at 30-45 mph on national speed limit roads in clear conditions are just as dangerous.

Drivers are obliged to make progress, but 'progress' is a subjective thing. A good driver will drive within their limits, not at the behest of the numptie behind him/her. The national speed limit is just that - a speed limit! It is not a target for you and your vehicle to attain.

Dialyser
25-Sep-11, 18:21
The department for transport state that in 2009, 143 accidents were directly caused by slow drivers. I suspect this figure is grossly under-reported.

I agree Gronnuck that speed limits are not a target to be aimed for, but if in clear safe conditions you only feel competent to drive at 30mph on open roads frankly you shouldn't be driving.........indeed you would have failed your driving test for doing so.

mi16
25-Sep-11, 18:28
I think you will find that it is the sudden stop that is the problem

annemarie482
25-Sep-11, 18:58
The department for transport state that in 2009, 143 accidents were directly caused by slow drivers. I suspect this figure is grossly under-reported.

I agree Gronnuck that speed limits are not a target to be aimed for, but if in clear safe conditions you only feel competent to drive at 30mph on open roads frankly you shouldn't be driving.........indeed you would have failed your driving test for doing so.

totally agree dialyser.
now this is just an example of why i feel like this.....

yesterday i was TWICE was stuck in a long queue of traffic ,
both times on a long open country straight,
both times by an old couple "tootling" along about 35mph,
(pointing at fields etc :roll:)
with a driver sitting behind them too scared to over take but making sure they were spaced out enough to make passing difficult for those behind.
unfortunately this is a common occurance :(

now i was in no hurry but this is besides the point, it is very frustrating for those wishing to make progress still well beneath the speed limit.

sids
25-Sep-11, 19:31
for example drivers who sit at 30-45 mph on national speed limit roads in clear conditions are just as dangerous.

Right. So are all lorries "just as dangerous" then, being limited to 40mph on all Caithness roads?

Atom for peace
25-Sep-11, 19:40
You are all on about people going 40mph on country roads, what about the idiots who use the streets in Wick and probably Thurso as their very own personal race track.

bekisman
25-Sep-11, 21:07
Right. So are all lorries "just as dangerous" then, being limited to 40mph on all Caithness roads?
Lorries doing 40? ain't seen one yet that slow!

Koi
25-Sep-11, 21:22
What really annoys me are the ones who totally ignore the speed limits eg the 40 limit at Reiss, 50 at Murkle and 30 at Keiss as that is a blind hill coming from the north.

I'm glad you've posted this actually as i experienced this just a couple of days ago while going through murkle. I was overtook by someone i used to know but don't speak to now. She didn't know it was me as she doesn't even know i drive. I was doing 50mph and she overtook me and sped of in the distance clearly doing far more than 50mph. Close to 80mph! Now she is a total idiot on the road and her heavy foot is going to get her into alot of trouble one day. I just hope its just her in the car when it happens.

I've also been overtook while passing mount pleasant school with the flashing lights clearly stating 20mph and children about. The driver behind me did not care and just sped away.

This really bugs me about other drivers as though i know alot of people do speed in caithness in particular the murkle part, it still doesn't make it right. I do not speed and i often have my little boy with me. We have a landrover discovery and she takes a little time to get up to 50-60 mph when coming on a 60 mph road.
I just don't understand the thought process of some drivers that think speed limits are nothing to them. Very dangerous drivers to be on the road.

ducati
25-Sep-11, 22:09
What I tend to do if I come across a slow driver is drop back, relax and complete my journey at their pace whilst experiencing a warm glow at the petrol I am saving. That way, everyone thinks I'm the git holding everyone up. :lol:

Koi
25-Sep-11, 22:31
What I tend to do if I come across a slow driver is drop back, relax and complete my journey at their pace whilst experiencing a warm glow at the petrol I am saving. That way, everyone thinks I'm the git holding everyone up. :lol:

Don't drive too close behind my car then as you might get a bit dirty lol. The landrover so badly needs cleaned. I keep thinking of washing it but then it doesn't look dirty enough lol. Where is your valeting buisness based? How much to do a filthy landrover discovery?

almo
25-Sep-11, 23:36
Speed can be a factor but it simply is bad driving that causes the problems.

sandyr1
25-Sep-11, 23:52
The posted speed is the 'Maximum Speed' one is allowed to travel.
A driver can drive at any speed below that unless there is a 'Minimum Speed' Law, such as in certain States in the US, where there is a Minumum Speed that must be attained.
Of course that is somewhat difficult to control and the offender has to be 'tailed' for quite a while to dismiss the defence of.... (Well I was slowing down or starting up.)
Yes I do think slow drivers cause others frustration, but 'c'est la vie'!

Here people have been charged with driving slowly/impeding traffic/Careless Driving, as a 'test case', but no convictions have been given.

rogermellie
25-Sep-11, 23:59
I'm glad you've posted this actually as i experienced this just a couple of days ago while going through murkle. I was overtook by someone i used to know but don't speak to now. She didn't know it was me as she doesn't even know i drive. I was doing 50mph and she overtook me and sped of in the distance clearly doing far more than 50mph. Close to 80mph! Now she is a total idiot on the road and her heavy foot is going to get her into alot of trouble one day. I just hope its just her in the car when it happens.

I've also been overtook while passing mount pleasant school with the flashing lights clearly stating 20mph and children about. The driver behind me did not care and just sped away.

This really bugs me about other drivers as though i know alot of people do speed in caithness in particular the murkle part, it still doesn't make it right. I do not speed and i often have my little boy with me. We have a landrover discovery and she takes a little time to get up to 50-60 mph when coming on a 60 mph road.
I just don't understand the thought process of some drivers that think speed limits are nothing to them. Very dangerous drivers to be on the road.

does this person drive a black mercedes by any chance ?

i only ask as this car passes me every day on the way to work in the morning doing at least a ton, i keep expecting to see her and the car in bits in a field

Bazeye
26-Sep-11, 01:34
I don't drive very fast, (in fact I don't do anything very fast).

Neither do I. Welcome to the chill zone. :cool:

hastings
26-Sep-11, 09:57
As a father of a young baby worse fear is other road users, i am no saint when it comes to driving i occasionally drive at 65 - 70 but when wee one is in the car 50 - 60 the thing is people overtaking on blind summits and blind corners that’s just dangerous a little comon sense to those who are in a hurry 80 +

When you are speeding, other cars may have wee ones in them, they deserve you to drive safely for them as well.

mi16
26-Sep-11, 10:13
56mph is the general optimum speed for economy
these "Sunday drivers" may well be costing you money

Torvaig
26-Sep-11, 13:02
does this person drive a black mercedes by any chance ?

i only ask as this car passes me every day on the way to work in the morning doing at least a ton, i keep expecting to see her and the car in bits in a field

A suggestion; take a note of the make of car, colour and registration number then report her to the police. May take you a few mornings to get all the info but you must stop her as she will most certainly find herself involved in an accident some day. If she wants to ruin her own life, that is her lookout but that doesn't give her the right to take someone elses.

mi16
26-Sep-11, 13:20
A suggestion; take a note of the make of car, colour and registration number then report her to the police. May take you a few mornings to get all the info but you must stop her as she will most certainly find herself involved in an accident some day. If she wants to ruin her own life, that is her lookout but that doesn't give her the right to take someone elses.

You cannot do that!! you must collect all info fron the same time
how can you be 100% certain that it is the same car offending each day?
Could easily be two identical corsas both driven eratically by different folks.

sandyr1
26-Sep-11, 13:37
You cannot do that!! you must collect all info fron the same time
how can you be 100% certain that it is the same car offending each day?
Could easily be two identical corsas both driven eratically by different folks.

A person can complain any time they want/ perhaps the Police will set up on the vehicle's route at the approx time in the morning, and in the general area.
I don't think anyone would want to act as a witness in Court unless they are directly involved or inconvenienced. I cannot understand your rationale.

sandyr1
26-Sep-11, 13:41

I just don't understand the thought process of some drivers that think speed limits are nothing to them. Very dangerous drivers to be on the road.[/QUOTE]

I think we have to get it into our minds that the 60mph road is where the 'Maximum Speed' is 60mph, not that one has to travel at that speed.
Drivers should drive at a speed they are comfortable with, not the Max!

mi16
26-Sep-11, 14:07
A person can complain any time they want/ perhaps the Police will set up on the vehicle's route at the approx time in the morning, and in the general area.
I don't think anyone would want to act as a witness in Court unless they are directly involved or inconvenienced. I cannot understand your rationale.

Torvaig suggested that you collect the vehicle details over a number of days, I said that you cannot do this unless of course you validate the registration number each day to ensure you have the correct car and not just a black mercedes benz of which there are many.

sandyr1
26-Sep-11, 14:30
A member of the Public can do anything they want!
Their info will be assessed by the Police................

One cannot expect a member of the Public to 'chase' a car to get the plate, nor would the Polis want them to, nor would one be able to get the plate # if it passes at speed. So the complainant does their best and gives the Polis the info.

rogermellie
26-Sep-11, 14:44
it's certainly the same car i see each time, not sure of the model, but very expensive looking with a personalised plate.

i know the reg off by heart, but as it's only me in the car i thought i'd need a witness to corroborate my story.

next time i see her i'll contact the police with time and place etc

mi16
26-Sep-11, 14:53
Indeed you could pass your dossier over to the police detailing what you see and where, the will most likely have a patrol around the area to see whats what.
You certainly do not need a witness to report someone.
On a side note can you be absolutely sure without a shadow of doubt that this person is speeding?

sandyr1
26-Sep-11, 14:57
If you want to go to Court or the Police want you to go to Court you should keep notes. But I am sure you don't want to go that route.
Give them the info...days and times you see the vehicle...2 things they can do.
1. They can set up a speed check in the area at the approx time in question.
2. They can go and speak to the person and advise they have had a complaint(s).

As a civilian it is difficult for you to properly estimate speed, and to follow the vehicle and check it's speed you would need a 'calibrated Speedo' which Police cars have & you don't. Plus that is a dangerous thing to do. Now there are 2 cars speeding.

There is a Universal saying..the Public are the 'eyes and ears' of the Police. Report the prob and let them do their jobs...much simpler that way.
And you don't have to wait/ if it has happened more than once and on the same road and times, just give them the info.......

mi16
26-Sep-11, 15:03
Indeed Sandy if i felt that strongly about it then that would be my method of complaint.
chances are she will either see the trap or be flashed to warn her though.
I always flash oncoming motorists if they are headed into a speed trap.

sandyr1
26-Sep-11, 15:09
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...Shame on yee....(Joking)..I have done it myself!

Torvaig
26-Sep-11, 16:11
it's certainly the same car i see each time, not sure of the model, but very expensive looking with a personalised plate.

i know the reg off by heart, but as it's only me in the car i thought i'd need a witness to corroborate my story.

Good for you......

mi16
26-Sep-11, 16:49

Why wait until next time, if you know the reg number do it now

ducati
26-Sep-11, 17:38

If said vehicle passes you at "over a ton" I seriously doubt you would be able to tell the sex of the driver.

mi16
26-Sep-11, 17:58
he was doing 95 at the time though so got a good look

rogermellie
26-Sep-11, 17:59
i see this driver everyday, she often tailgates me coming out of Thurso, that's how i know she's a she

who knows, maybe she'll read this thread and modify her driving.

rogermellie
26-Sep-11, 18:00
he was doing 95 at the time though so got a good look

lol

if you saw my car you'd lol as well

ducati
26-Sep-11, 18:09
i see this driver everyday, she often tailgates me coming out of Thurso, that's how i know she's a she

who knows, maybe she'll read this thread and modify her driving.

Perhaps you'd drive faster if you didn't spend your time gawping at the rear view mirror :lol:

PantsMAN
26-Sep-11, 18:35
Repeat after me-

"I overtake other cars"

"I have been overtaken by other cars"

"I can't have been overtook by anything AS THERE IS NO SUCH TENSE! "

There, isn't that better now?

rogermellie
26-Sep-11, 18:52
Perhaps you'd drive faster if you didn't spend your time gawping at the rear view mirror :lol:

gawping, great word

i don't look anything like this .... my dungarees are green

mi16
26-Sep-11, 18:54
Repeat after me-

"I overtake other cars"

"I have been overtaken by other cars"

"I can't have been overtook by anything AS THERE IS NO SUCH WORD!

There, isn't that better now?

Best if you go back to school PantsMAN, overtook is a word in my dictionary!!

PantsMAN
26-Sep-11, 19:11
Best if you go back to school PantsMAN, overtook is a word in my dictionary!!

Ah yes, but not in that tense!

mi16
26-Sep-11, 21:51
wap wap wap waaahhhhhh
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/overtook

wrong again

Spongeboab
26-Sep-11, 22:07
Pantsman is referring to post #25 where Koi had the audacity to use the word overtook in the wrong tense :roll:

mi16
26-Sep-11, 22:14
ah ha I see it now, how vary dare koi to make such an error.
Perhaps koi will be reported to the grammar police

almo
26-Sep-11, 23:12
I like to overtake them at the first available safe opportunity so as not to impede any other road users as described in the highway code.
No doubt there will be those with "baby on board" stickers will want me arrested for that but will soon forget while the are searching the car for the toy their little angel dropped while looking in the rear view mirror so the can keep eye contact while chatting with them! :-)

ducati
27-Sep-11, 06:44
Anyway, the thing with this thread (as our lord said) he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

In other words, when you can say your driving is exemplary, 100% of the time, then you can be completely comfortable criticising other drivers.

Torvaig
27-Sep-11, 09:40
Ach weel, that'll be the end of this thread for most of us! :lol:

grumpyhippo
27-Sep-11, 09:51
Can't help but think that this link makes an appropriate comment about a lot of attitudes expressed on this and other threads...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn1Qolv4ntQ

Torvaig
27-Sep-11, 09:58
Haha gh; long time since I heard that one! And yes; quite appropriate for a lot of us..... ;¬)

(You do realise I will be singing that all day now!)

golach
27-Sep-11, 10:15
Haha gh; long time since I heard that one! And yes; quite appropriate for a lot of us..... ;¬)

(You do realise I will be singing that all day now!)

Now I would pay money to come and hear you sing Torvaig.

steverolly
27-Sep-11, 11:04
look its like this up ere past , think they can drive get in a car do speed crash or up tip if you pass your test up ere you should take advanced drivin course down in , inverness were the real traffic , round abouts , traffic lights , and many more dangers are ,up ere wat is there elderly wat cant see and drive too slow and and young wats too daft think they are special is the truth

mi16
27-Sep-11, 12:21
For those of us that dont speak Mongolian please post in the Queens English.

ducati
27-Sep-11, 12:37
look its like this up ere past , think they can drive get in a car do speed crash or up tip if you pass your test up ere you should take advanced drivin course down in , inverness were the real traffic , round abouts , traffic lights , and many more dangers are ,up ere wat is there elderly wat cant see and drive too slow and and young wats too daft think they are special is the truth

ere ere! :Razz

Leanne
27-Sep-11, 13:35
56mph is the general optimum speed for economy
these "Sunday drivers" may well be costing you money

Only for cars with 5 gears, with many of the new cars having 6 or even 7 gears, this is no longer true for all... Even landrovers have 6 gears now :)

mi16
27-Sep-11, 13:45
name me a mainstream manual transmission motor car with 7 gears.
56mph is still the optimum fuel efficiency speed.
More gears normally equals shorter gaps in the ratios not necessarily a longer final drive.

sandyr1
27-Sep-11, 14:13
name me a mainstream manual transmission motor car with 7 gears.
56mph is still the optimum fuel efficiency speed.
More gears normally equals shorter gaps in the ratios not necessarily a longer final drive.

Some of the new automatics are into 7 gears...but the average seems to be 5

mi16
27-Sep-11, 14:30
Like I said "name me a mainstream manual transmission motor car with 7 gears."
Automatic cars are not exactly famed for fuel efficeincy.

teddybear1873
27-Sep-11, 14:35
Like I said "name me a mainstream manual transmission motor car with 7 gears."
Automatic cars are not exactly famed for fuel efficeincy.

Reason why my Toyota Camry only does 25mpg.........I miss the gears.

sandyr1
27-Sep-11, 14:40
Not so at all.... disagree..and what do you do when you cannot get a manual/ like here...
Most better quality North Americal cars do not some with Manual....
I have heard that story before...
3.8 litre turbo 3500lbs...4 speed auto with OD....35mpg. basically same dimensions as a 5 series BMW...Of course not the same quality...
At 60mph revs 1700 approx

mi16
27-Sep-11, 15:31
Do you regard 35mpg as economical then because I certainly dont?
A slushbox will be fine in the land of no corners as little shifting of gear is required however in the UK we have a thing called corners which often require gearchanges, that is where the manual is better.
Having said that I prefer to drive my auto car to the manual one, just from a relaxed and luxurious drive point of view rather than economy.

sandyr1
27-Sep-11, 15:51
Do you regard 35mpg as economical then because I certainly dont?
A slushbox will be fine in the land of no corners as little shifting of gear is required however in the UK we have a thing called corners which often require gearchanges, that is where the manual is better.
Having said that I prefer to drive my auto car to the manual one, just from a relaxed and luxurious drive point of view rather than economy.

Yes yes, I know about Kaitness......I smashed 2 up before I left at 20!!
And 35mpg for what I have..excellent. Mine is auto or manual/ selectronic or whatever the latest 'code name' is.
OK I loved the diesel turbos, with the 5/6 manual, but when in Rome...u know the rest!
It is like the proverbial Apples to Oranges...there really is no comparison, but yes I did corners here on closed road rally sections, and yes I ditched another one!

_Ju_
27-Sep-11, 15:53
or its better to be 5 minutes late in this life than 5 minutes early in the next

In Portugal we say it's better to loose a minute in your life than your life in a minute. :)

mi16
27-Sep-11, 16:08
i thought the Portugese said "Oh balls we are bankrupt"

_Ju_
27-Sep-11, 16:14
i thought the Portugese said "Oh balls we are bankrupt"
no. We say: Cresce e aparece, filho. :)

Torvaig
27-Sep-11, 16:26
Now I would pay money to come and hear you sing Torvaig.

And once upon a time you could!

mi16
27-Sep-11, 16:41
no. We say: Cresce e aparece, filho. :)

florescer, você tem uma risada sangrenta. Portugal está quebrado.

PantsMAN
27-Sep-11, 18:51
Pantsman is referring to post #25 where Koi had the audacity to use the word overtook in the wrong tense :roll:

Actually it was #25 and #37.

Spongeboab
27-Sep-11, 19:00
lol please accept my apologies for underestimating your pedantry

Leanne
27-Sep-11, 19:02
lol please accept my apologies for underestimating your pedantry

Thought the thread was about driving not walking ;)

Spongeboab
27-Sep-11, 19:09
it's certainly gone off road at any rate

oldmarine
27-Sep-11, 20:37
Until now I have ignored this thread. Finally got curious as to what goes on. After reading all the entries I am surprised law enforcement hasn't gotten involved.

teddybear1873
27-Sep-11, 22:20
Until now I have ignored this thread. Finally got curious as to what goes on. After reading all the entries I am surprised law enforcement hasn't gotten involved.

It would if it was in the US of A marine. :)

rogermellie
27-Sep-11, 22:32
if we were in the US of A i would have shot at the black merc as it sped past, while wearing a tee shirt

what with my right to bare arms ....

i'll get my coat

Torvaig
27-Sep-11, 22:36
if we were in the US of A i would have shot at the black merc as it sped past, while wearing a tee shirt

what with my right to bare arms ....

i'll get my coat

Yes, to cover your bare arms!

I suppose I had better get my coat too....:lol:

Corrie 3
28-Sep-11, 09:36
Our one and only law enforcement officer (The traffic warden from Wick) got sent down to London to sort out the riots last month and has never been seen again!!! This leaves Caithness drivers to do as they please Oldmarine!!!..
Mmm!! ...Nothing new there then!!!!

C3.............:roll::roll:;)

badger
30-Sep-11, 16:56
Been off the .org for a few days so if I may drag this thread back to its subject (sorry folks!) I've never understood why perfectly respectable, older people, pillars of the community in every other way, think the law doesn't apply to them when it comes to speeding. Driving above the legal limit is against the law so why ?? I'm sure they don't shoplift or hit old ladies over the head.

So, I have a question. What do I do when offered lifts by friends who regularly drive too fast (and I have several) ? It's getting awkward and they won't drive with me because I don't speed. Car sharing is sensible. Problem. Advice?

ducati
30-Sep-11, 22:55
Been off the .org for a few days so if I may drag this thread back to its subject (sorry folks!) I've never understood why perfectly respectable, older people, pillars of the community in every other way, think the law doesn't apply to them when it comes to speeding. Driving above the legal limit is against the law so why ?? I'm sure they don't shoplift or hit old ladies over the head.

So, I have a question. What do I do when offered lifts by friends who regularly drive too fast (and I have several) ? It's getting awkward and they won't drive with me because I don't speed. Car sharing is sensible. Problem. Advice?

They won't drive with you?

badger
01-Oct-11, 15:18
They won't drive with you?

The know they'll get there quicker! At least I think that must be it as I don't see them clutching the handbrake when they do accept a lift and I often take other people who don't speed and seem quite happy to repeat the experience. I usually drive around 55 in a 60 limit where they drive 65/70.

Sometimes wonder what people do with all that time saved. I counted the seconds once that a car which passed me arrived at a town speed limit before me - it was a good 12 secs!

ducati
01-Oct-11, 16:03
The know they'll get there quicker! At least I think that must be it as I don't see them clutching the handbrake when they do accept a lift and I often take other people who don't speed and seem quite happy to repeat the experience. I usually drive around 55 in a 60 limit where they drive 65/70.

Sometimes wonder what people do with all that time saved. I counted the seconds once that a car which passed me arrived at a town speed limit before me - it was a good 12 secs!

I once, in Cheshire, passed a slow lorry on a raural road, big and straight in Cheshire, on a fast bike. I then proceeded at well over 100mph for a good 10 minutes until I came into a village with a set of traffic lights and stopped. The lorry caught up before the lights changed. :confused

badger
01-Oct-11, 16:14
I once, in Cheshire, past a slow lorry on a raural road, big and straight in Cheshire, on a fast bike. I then proceeded at well over 100mph for a good 10 minutes until I came into a village with a set of traffic lights and stopped. The lorry caught up before the lights changed. :confused

I rest my case :roll: and promise not to tell anyone .

mi16
02-Oct-11, 23:58
I once, in Cheshire, passed a slow lorry on a raural road, big and straight in Cheshire, on a fast bike. I then proceeded at well over 100mph for a good 10 minutes until I came into a village with a set of traffic lights and stopped. The lorry caught up before the lights changed. :confused

Must have been very long lights then.
100mph for 10mins = 16.6miles
hgv speed limit on a normal road is 40mph which equates to 6.6 miles covered in the 10 mins.
therefore for the lorry to catch you, you must have been stationary for a minimum of 15mins.

Leanne
03-Oct-11, 12:56
hgv speed limit on a normal road is 40mph which equates to 6.6 miles covered in the 10 mins.
therefore for the lorry to catch you, you must have been stationary for a minimum of 15mins.

You've obviously never driven in Cheshire - usually takes several changes before you get through. I've used to be sat at the same set of lights for over half an hour some mornings :(

upolian
03-Oct-11, 15:21
You would think the speed limit in Watten had been removed the way idiots drive through! Nice to see the police pulling over 2 drivers this morning,had a little giggle to myself as 1 of them was clearly trying to talk her way out of it,UNLUCKY!!!

sandyr1
03-Oct-11, 15:47
One should remember that Police 'monitor' these local Websites.
Perhaps they got a 'hint'!

mi16
03-Oct-11, 18:48
Do you have supersonic hearing Upolian?

almo
04-Oct-11, 00:55
You've obviously never driven in Cheshire - usually takes several changes before you get through. I've used to be sat at the same set of lights for over half an hour some mornings :(
But bikers dont wait in turn, they would just pass the satationary traffic and go to the front!

almo
04-Oct-11, 00:57

Is that a speedo indicated 55 which in all probability is 50 or a true GPS indicated 55?

mi16
04-Oct-11, 16:49
Is that a speedo indicated 55 which in all probability is 50 or a true GPS indicated 55?

Funny you say that, just this morning I was in my car using the GPS, the GPS was indicating 84mph and the speedometer was reading pretty much the same.

Creme_Egg
04-Oct-11, 18:56
Yet another pointless thread about drivers in Caithness! No need for this, it's the least constructive topic to talk about! Thank you and good nightFor goodness sake the org is getting worse!

bekisman
04-Oct-11, 19:04
Yet another pointless thread about drivers in Caithness! No need for this, it's the least constructive topic to talk about! Thank you and good nightFor goodness sake the org is getting worse!
Oh come on, it's been much worse that this!

sandyr1
04-Oct-11, 19:24

Gosh you go to bed early!!

Corrie 3
04-Oct-11, 19:29
I know, it's nearly as bad as that thread about would you/wouldn't you pick up hitch hikers.......Now who started that one?...Let me think for a minute.....Oh I know, it's the Humpty Dumpty with creme filling fella!!

C3.........:roll::roll:;)

Gronnuck
05-Oct-11, 09:42

To a certain extent I could agree with you; so why don't you liven up the Org by making a constructive contribution to the discussions; any discussions! I see that you've been a member for a couple of years and yet have only made 135 posts! I think you can remedy that. Your opinion is as valid as anyone elses so let's hear more of it!

oldmarine
05-Oct-11, 22:02
The comments did get lively. Especially those in response to my posting. Thanks folks.

ducati
05-Oct-11, 22:30

Purely subjective, I didn't have a stop watch....don't you have a telly? [lol]

Fran
06-Oct-11, 01:47
Happy Birthday Kev, have a good slow day !!

mi16
06-Oct-11, 08:49
Purely subjective, I didn't have a stop watch....don't you have a telly? [lol]

lol..I do have too much time on my hands
To be fair one minute at a ton seems like a long time.

ducati
27-Oct-11, 08:52
I wonder if windowman has had any messages yet?

mi16
27-Oct-11, 13:03
windowlicker more like