PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Brothers concert: review

Nwicker60
24-Sep-11, 11:05
'After all those years',the Alexander Brothers are back
THE rear view of white heads defined the age group that had turned out to hear the Alexander Brothers perform in their own inimitable style.
Scottish variety is currently in the doldrums with the racey, modern-sounding Celtic style having, sadly, replaced the traditional tartan shows. The Assembly Rooms was only two thirds full but the crowd gave Tom and Jack a warm Wick reception, last night.
It was refreshing to find them taking the time and trouble to include Wick on their tour to celebrate 50 years in show business. Some achievement and, as Tom joked-“We’ve been that long in the business that some folk think we’re a tribute band!”.
The brothers were in full cry when Marge and I joined them and to be honest, they had hardly changed, perhaps due, in appearance, to a little hair toning.
It was a nostalgic return to the royal burgh for the boys. I had quite a few grey hairs less, on the last occasion I heard them. If you don’t ‘dig’ such an unashamedly heather and haggis type of performance, then you would simply boycott Wick’s civic hall and a few certainly did, as it was only two-thirds full. Who cares...we didn’t miss them.
Jack and Tom took us on a kilt-swinging, musical tour of Scotland, from Shetland to the Borders with a rare selection of Caledonian favourites, Jennie McColl, Song o’ the Clyde, I belang tae Glesca and some sentimental numbers, including appropriately, After all those Years, and the inevitable, Nobody’s Child plus some finger-tickling accordion Shetland reels and box standards such as The Dark Island and The High Level Hornpipe. Jack was playing a midified accordion with pre-recorded backing tracks producing an amazing sound for a single performer.
The brothers paid musical tributes to two of Scotland famous performing sons...Andy Stewart and Will Starr with whom the Alexanders performed on many occasions in the past, with old favourites such as The Battle’s O’er and the Jacqueline Waltz, complete with swinging leg, brought to life.
Fifty years, eh....some achievement! It drew some well-earned applause, with some sections of the audience linking hands and swaying in time to the music, there was no need to take a vox pop to confirm the all –important enjoyment factor.
Haste ye back, boys! N.D.