PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested?

Dadie
23-Sep-11, 23:38
Im thinking of starting a bat group, but dont know how to start or what to do...
Anyone interested?
As if there isnt any interest there isnt anything to be done but if there is there is a lot....ie all the usual committee stuff etc as well as trying to raise funds for bat detectors etc...
The nearest bat person to here is in Dornoch....and was wanting a more local group etc for surveying etc..

orkneycadian
23-Sep-11, 23:39
Cricket or baseball?

Dadie
23-Sep-11, 23:45
Pippestrelle 45 or 55 and long eared or the daubentons bat!....so far as seen up here!

Tilly Teckel
24-Sep-11, 02:08
I know very little about bats except that I like 'em, but I'd like to join the group! What sort of things do you anticipate doing?

Xposin
25-Sep-11, 00:34
Probably involves alot of hanging around

rogermellie
25-Sep-11, 00:55
I know very little about bats except that I like 'em, but I'd like to join the group! What sort of things do you anticipate doing?

staring up at the sky and waiting for a bat to fly past, then talking about the bat, guessing it's species/sex/habitat and then going home for a neck rub

this post has already been in the nature bit of the org and i wondered then what a bat group would do, now it's in the general section because .... :confused

the countryside rangers already provide an informative evening with bats, beyond that, what else is there to know about them ?

stick to the advice in the nature bit, if you get no takers then there's your answer

2little2late
25-Sep-11, 01:35
I have a few cricket bats I do not need.

Dadie
25-Sep-11, 10:03
I was thinking about starting with surveying the bat populations in certain areas counting them out a roost etc...
Learning more about identification, listening to them with a bat detector etc.
Seeing what other bat groups do and trying to get a group together for up here.
As there isnt a group up here and the info on numbers and roosts is a big black hole in the BCT information!
Plus I had a few pms from interested people, so putting it on here isnt a waste of time!
(just wish I hadnt done the stupid thing of deleting all my pms to free up space though!)
And the bat thread on the biodiversity bit started out in the general section...got silly with joke threads and ended up in the biodiversity area.....where I have to admit I havent looked at it since I got fed up with the silliness on it!

Tilly Teckel
25-Sep-11, 14:48
Well I'm still in - sounds interesting! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help set it up ;)

Dadie
25-Sep-11, 22:55
At this time of year probably a few trips to decide what to do next year at a pub or 2....with some relevant stuff from the BCT!
But some numbers would help!
Even just enough to form a committee (and yes I hate comittiees ) just so we can bring this forward....and have a viable group next year.