PDA

View Full Version : Donating Blood

Jeid
10-Oct-06, 10:05
Hi all, I dunno how many of you know, but you can donate blood in Skinandi's(Thurso) today at 2-4pm and then 5-8pm(I'm not sure about the 5pm part... but it's definately on until 8pm)

I've never given blood, I've always wanted to as I always feel I should. I've never been able to in the past due to various piercings etc.

I just wanted to ask if there was anything I shouldn't do before giving blood... ie, get drunk, take drugs(prescribed or otherwise) etc

I'm in a rush for answers as I'm going to work in a while... thank you :D

mccaugm
10-Oct-06, 11:14
Have something to eat and drink before you go as if your "levels" are low they won't be able to take your blood. You will also be given something to eat and drink after your donation for the same reasons. Its a dawdle giving blood I did it for years. Sadly I now have anemia and am unable to give now. Trying to persuade my hubby to go...but hes reluctant.

Murdina Bug
10-Oct-06, 12:55
They will ask you if are generally well and taking any prescribed medication. If you are taking anything prescribed it is worth asking to check with someone as soon as you go in otherwise you could be in for a long wait before finding out you can't give. However - you should not have taken paracetamol in the last 24 hrs or aspirin in the last 7 days (as it thins the blood). These are the most common ones to catch people out.

Bill Fernie
10-Oct-06, 14:26
See als0 the Blood Transfusion web site at http://www.scotblood.co.uk/

BMcGillivray
10-Oct-06, 15:27
They will ask you if are generally well and taking any prescribed medication. If you are taking anything prescribed it is worth asking to check with someone as soon as you go in otherwise you could be in for a long wait before finding out you can't give. However - you should not have taken paracetamol in the last 24 hrs or aspirin in the last 7 days (as it thins the blood). These are the most common ones to catch people out.

ack... i was wanting to go give blood tonight, but i took some paracetamol for toothache this morning... does that mean ill have to wait till next time?

MGB1979
10-Oct-06, 15:28
I'd love to give blood but for as long as I can remember any medical procedures I've had have been spectacularly bungled. Giving blood quite literally puts the fear of death in me.

henry20
10-Oct-06, 15:39
I am terrified at getting injections/blood taken, but I would dearly love to be able to give blood.

5 years ago, I had to have a blood transfusion which now means I am unable to donate. It was only then that I realised how important it is to give blood. Without the generosity of others, I wouldn't be alive today.

I urge everyone to give blood and reflect on the fact that they are saving someones life :D

dirdyweeker
10-Oct-06, 15:43
ack... i was wanting to go give blood tonight, but i took some paracetamol for toothache this morning... does that mean ill have to wait till next time?

no. you can give blood. Paracetamol will not affect your donation

Murdina Bug
10-Oct-06, 16:18
Ok, I could be wrong about the paracetamol - but I am sure that I was stopped one time before because I had some soon before donating. I can't see anything on the website about specific medicines. Maybe someone who is going today can find out and post it here later!

BMcGillivray
10-Oct-06, 16:54
Hmm... couldn't see anything on the scotblood site about paracetamol, anyone have a link/source to say one way or the other?

What about caffeine? most days i take caffeine tablets to keep me going... today ive been drinking that Irn Bru 32 stuff instead... will that effect things at all?

You guys have got me worried now...

Buttercup
10-Oct-06, 18:20
Became an avid Donar many years ago after needing 13 pints of blood during an operation. Unfortunately they won't take mine now due to the medication I take.:(
But thank you to everyone who still donates none of us know when we might be grateful to you. :)

Fluff
10-Oct-06, 18:44
I have noticed the scotblood website is a bit pants, the national website www.blood.co.uk has the questions you get asked, i should imagine it is the same for all the uk.
My advice would be to drink plenty of water/juice before you go. In my first session i hadnt drunk enough and the struggled to find a vein.

Even if you are not sure if you are allowed, go along anyway! they dont mind and that way you will know for the future :)

Ricco
10-Oct-06, 20:18
I've given blood for years - 53 'pints' now. They do need to know about any recent illnesses (even a cold) and any drugs you have taken - even aspirin. They can still make use of the blood, I think, but not for transfusions. They asked me to wait (well, told me actually) for 6 months after I had a tatoo. It really is necessary to keep your fluid intake up on the day.

If you haven't yet plucked up the courage do go; have a chat to some of the people there and get some reassurance. It is a wonderful thing to do... and you get a free cuppa and biscuits. :D

Cazaa
10-Oct-06, 20:20
If you are taking Paracetamol it means you must have an infection somewhere, therefore you shouldn't really be giving blood (especially if it is for solving a hangover). I think they ask if you've taken it (or any other painkiller) in the last 3 days.
I used to give plasma as a student until the whole BSE thing. Now they get their plasma from the USA (I believe). Doesn't that make you feel safe.

Jeid
10-Oct-06, 22:04
I gave blood today. Go me. I was surprised at how many people were there. Fantastic turn out.

Bakerbhoy
11-Oct-06, 11:46
I gave blood yesterday, first time in years through various things. I had taken a paracetamol the day before for a sore head and they said it was fine, took my blood and all was well.

dirdyweeker
11-Oct-06, 17:00
If you are taking Paracetamol it means you must have an infection somewhere, therefore you shouldn't really be giving blood (especially if it is for solving a hangover). I think they ask if you've taken it (or any other painkiller) in the last 3 days.
I used to give plasma as a student until the whole BSE thing. Now they get their plasma from the USA (I believe). Doesn't that make you feel safe.

Paracetamol is acceptable. Ibuprofen and Aspirin to name a couple are not. As a rule I do not take Paracetamol for an infection but for a headache or some other such minor pain.