PDA

View Full Version : Speed of light broken

weezer 316
23-Sep-11, 20:26
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15034414

Incredible. If this does actually turn out to be the case then I think it could qualify as one fo the greatest scientific discovires ever.

shazzap
23-Sep-11, 21:06
I read about this yesterday. Understood that this has happened, but what the implications are. I have not a clue.

weezer 316
23-Sep-11, 21:37
Well a few things. Firstly, it would appear that time travel would be possible. Secondly, we could be able, if we could exploit the mechanism the neutrinos use (if thats even possible) to theorectically allow interstellar or even intergalactic travel. All in the far future though if at all. Still, have to start somewhere

shazzap
23-Sep-11, 21:52
Well a few things. Firstly, it would appear that time travel would be possible. Secondly, we could be able, if we could exploit the mechanism the neutrinos use (if thats even possible) to theorectically allow interstellar or even intergalactic travel. All in the far future though if at all. Still, have to start somewhere

I have always believed that one day, we will live, like they do in the Sci Fi movies. After all, it is not that long ago, that we would have thought. Communicating with each other via a machine, with buttons on it, impossible.

Kodiak
23-Sep-11, 21:54
So Many implications that it will be debated and talked about for years and Years to come.

For a start faster than Light travel might be possible, if so how much faster. Just a little bit or like SciFi writers have been going on for years, so fast that it would make interstellar space travel a reality and not just fiction.

Or could it mean that Time Travel might be possible, not into the past but perhaps into the future.

The main thing in my opinion, is that if faster than light speed is possible, it means that Albert Einstein was incorrect. If he was Incorrect in his theory that it is impossible to go faster than the speed of light, then what else did he calculate incorrectly. Does this mean that everything from E=MC2 and onwards will need to looked at again, I dont know.

Perhaps this is one of those turning points in history and in two or three hundred years time, people will look back and say, 2011 that was the defining point in all human history.

bekisman
23-Sep-11, 22:02
I'm sure a couple of org scientists will be along shortly to tell us more....

shazzap
23-Sep-11, 22:53

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd225/pinklipspinkkisses/albert-einstein.jpg

I'm here. How dare they contradict, my theory of relativity.

oldmarine
23-Sep-11, 23:00
This new discovery goes far beyond what I learned in school, but that's so many years ago it's not surprising.

John Little
23-Sep-11, 23:07
I thought that it's been known for years that particles called Tachyons exceed the speed of light?

Any Dounreay types out there??

orkneycadian
23-Sep-11, 23:11
Firstly, it would appear that time travel would be possible.

[lol][lol] - If it were, then the Scottish Government may be keen to talk to you about how they are going to manage a time efficient Pentland Firth crossing now that they have specified the "lifeline" ([lol]) route!

Mystical Potato Head
23-Sep-11, 23:14

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/sat5_photos/1275389857_naked-gun-facepalm.gif

weezer 316
23-Sep-11, 23:41
So Many implications that it will be debated and talked about for years and Years to come.

For a start faster than Light travel might be possible, if so how much faster. Just a little bit or like SciFi writers have been going on for years, so fast that it would make interstellar space travel a reality and not just fiction.

Or could it mean that Time Travel might be possible, not into the past but perhaps into the future.

The main thing in my opinion, is that if faster than light speed is possible, it means that Albert Einstein was incorrect. If he was Incorrect in his theory that it is impossible to go faster than the speed of light, then what else did he calculate incorrectly. Does this mean that everything from E=MC2 and onwards will need to looked at again, I dont know.

Perhaps this is one of those turning points in history and in two or three hundred years time, people will look back and say, 2011 that was the defining point in all human history.

You have fallen into a silly trap there! It may very well be that einstein was wrong. However, one theory of this is these Neutrinos travelling via another dimension. Strng theory seems to say there is 11 dimensions (as I understand it) and that quite possibly its this that breaks the speed of light. Im fairly certian in our 4 dimensional world E=MC2 holds true.

However, It could very well be thyat Einstein was wrong. That in a nutshell is sciences greatest asset.

Angel
24-Sep-11, 23:37
Travelling beyond the speed of light was observed by myself one evening when a contractors white transit van passed on its way home...

Angel...

2little2late
25-Sep-11, 01:37
And my farts are faster than the speed of smell.

oldmarine
25-Sep-11, 02:28
And my farts are faster than the speed of smell.
Fortunately we don't have to follow you to smell your behind to determine what you have written is true. lol!!!