PDA

View Full Version : Injured dog found

BalmoreSSPCA
22-Sep-11, 17:04
Today at about 1.30pm the Scottish SPCA Inspector picked up an injured dog from the Halkirk Area. She is a lovely wee black brindle and white staffie. Possibly only a year old or so. She looks to have been involved in a road traffic accident. She was taken to the Thurso vets and is going to be kept in over night for further observation and pain control. If you have lost a staffie or know anyone that has, please contact the Scottish SPCA Inspector on mob 07733007251. She is a beautiful little dog and was such a brave wee soul at the vets. I am sure someone must be missing this wee girl. Thanks

Iffy
22-Sep-11, 22:01
Trying to "bump" up the most important thread on here....at present !!

mop top
23-Sep-11, 07:22
Dog was reported missing to me at 2:00 by owner who was worried sick and had been looking for her

Phoned owner last night who was very relieved Suzy is alive and he will be claiming her from the vets this morning

hammers
23-Sep-11, 13:27
Glad the staffy is in good hands.
Just out of curiosity, do the SSPCA not contact the dog warden when they pick a dog up to see if it has been reported missing?

Moira
23-Sep-11, 22:33
Another great result and well done to all the agencies involved. M x

mop top
25-Sep-11, 21:08
Despite her injuries wee dog is doing well and a cheery, lovable wee soul. Enjoying lots of TLC from her foster mum.

wildcat69
29-Sep-11, 10:17
thought i would give you an update on suzie...
she damaged all 4 paws and lost all of her claws ( some down past the nail beds to the bone, she has a very large deep graze on her shoulder and back flank BUT despite all this she is a happy little soul.

I have had her coming up for a week now and she has not complained once with all the medication,bathing and creams she has to endure.

This little dog was definately looked after by an angel the day the car hit her.

She adores my children and my own dogs and has shown no signs of aggression ( well apart from trying to chase the cat very slowly across the kitchen floor )

one VERY LUCKY little dog who deserves her " forever home " more than most

Skirza
30-Sep-11, 10:12
Sorry if I appear dense...but didn't Moptop say that the owner was traced?

balto
30-Sep-11, 13:53
Sorry if I appear dense...but didn't Moptop say that the owner was traced?was thinking the same thing myself, im a bit confused.com

mop top
30-Sep-11, 19:37
Sadly the owner of the wee dog felt unable to cope with having her back so she is with a foster mum lapping up all the special attention while she recovers and waits for her new home to come along.

Moira
01-Oct-11, 00:38
Thanks for the update wildcat69 and to moptop for the clarification.

Hope this wee girl goes to her forever home soon.

unicorn
01-Oct-11, 00:50
I hope she finds a fantastic new home, I don't know the ins and outs obviously but battling with one of my dogs this week to keep him alive and healthy due to sudden illness, I really cannot get my head round the thought that when he needed me most and my love I would hand him over to strangers.
Well done to all those taking responsibility for her.

wildcat69
27-Oct-11, 18:46
I am pleased to say Suzie went off to her new "forever home" yesterday.
She recovered brilliantly with no lasting effects from her brush with a car and left me yesterday fighting fit and full of "staffy beans".

I am posting this not only to tell you of this lucky little girls story but also to highlight the work that's done with dogs who are lucky enough to find foster homes.
There has been an ongoing debate for a while now as to the suitability of chopping and changing a dog from home to home as opposed to kennels, well i can say with hand on heart that Suzie got the home she deserved BECAUSE she was fostered. The couple that took her had been looking for nearly a year and had approached the usual organisations but felt they were not getting enough background about the dogs so eventually found our site ( KWK9 ) and were very impressed at the amount of information given to any potential owner about their dogs, that can only truly be done with a dog in a home environment and as warm and comfy as you can possibly make a kennel it does not give the dog the environment it needs to show its true personality.

I feel this contributes to the amount returned as unsuitable.
Now please please dont take what im saying as any sort of slur on the wonderful work the rescue organisations do as i raise each and every one but KWK9 offer a more in depth insight into the dogs behaviour due to the fact they are in a home.

Suzie has started her new and wonderful life so its just a case of waiting for the next wee soul that needs our help and believe me in this currant climate it wont be long

Moira
29-Oct-11, 22:34
I am pleased to say Suzie went off to her new "forever home" yesterday.
She recovered brilliantly with no lasting effects from her brush with a car and left me yesterday fighting fit and full of "staffy beans".

I am posting this not only to tell you of this lucky little girls story but also to highlight the work that's done with dogs who are lucky enough to find foster homes.
There has been an ongoing debate for a while now as to the suitability of chopping and changing a dog from home to home as opposed to kennels, well i can say with hand on heart that Suzie got the home she deserved BECAUSE she was fostered. The couple that took her had been looking for nearly a year and had approached the usual organisations but felt they were not getting enough background about the dogs so eventually found our site ( KWK9 ) and were very impressed at the amount of information given to any potential owner about their dogs, that can only truly be done with a dog in a home environment and as warm and comfy as you can possibly make a kennel it does not give the dog the environment it needs to show its true personality.

I feel this contributes to the amount returned as unsuitable.
Now please please dont take what im saying as any sort of slur on the wonderful work the rescue organisations do as i raise each and every one but KWK9 offer a more in depth insight into the dogs behaviour due to the fact they are in a home.

Suzie has started her new and wonderful life so its just a case of waiting for the next wee soul that needs our help and believe me in this currant climate it wont be long

That's great news Wildcat69 and I applaud your part as a fosterer of unwanted/abandoned animals in Northern Scotland.

I've not been part of any debate regarding kennels as opposed to foster homes, nor would I wish to be.

There are several animal rescue organisations operating up here and I have the greatest respect for them all
I'd like to think all these organisations liaise, somehow. Do they?

Dadie
29-Oct-11, 22:49
My lab was a rescue from a kennel to a kennel (balmore) and needed time and lots of love to get used to a home(she was 3 and not housetrained and timid).
There isnt enough space/people that can give home space to a rescued dog and kennels are good in there own way the only way you can know if the dog is right in the right home is through time...about a month is enough time for all problems to surface and the teething probs to be observed and some to be ironed out or accepted!
A months grace should be given to new owners etc instead of take it or leave it to get them used to each other, with support on hand if needed as a dog good in kennels does not mean a dog good in the home, plus a dog introduced to a cat in kennels might have a more placid responce than a dog in a home..

purplelady
01-Nov-11, 01:01
I hope she finds a fantastic new home, I don't know the ins and outs obviously but battling with one of my dogs this week to keep him alive and healthy due to sudden illness, I really cannot get my head round the thought that when he needed me most and my love I would hand him over to strangers.
Well done to all those taking responsibility for her.was thinking the same wud have done anything for my poor holly to have been able to keep her with me but sadly i could not xxxxxxx