PDA

View Full Version : photo printer

black rover
21-Sep-11, 16:02
Looking for info on printers to transfer my photos from lap-top. Is laser better and type of paper etc. Any help appreciated.

theone
21-Sep-11, 16:41
I personally think you're better off getting the photos printed professionally.

The chemist in Thurso does this, or there's lots of online companies that do it - I use Jessops.

The quality is generally a lot better than you can get with a home printer and in my experience it works out cheaper.

Kodiak
21-Sep-11, 19:29
Personally I Completely Disagree with the above post. You can print out just as good prints or in some cases better than prints from a PhotoLab. You have far more control in what you print and even greater control of the Quality.

I think that the best printers a "Epson" and I have pasted below a Link where you can buy a Epson Stylus Photo PX720WD Printer. It is a all in one Printer and It Prints up to A4 on Paper and Photo Paper, On CD's and DVD's, it has two trays for paper so you do not need to change over from Plain Paper to Photo Paper.

It also scans and can be used as a Photo Copier and used Direct without using a Computer. It is also WiFi so you can connect several Computers by the WiFi. Amazon are selling it at £84.99 which is more than £100 off the price. As for Ink if you buy Compatable inks you can but then for as little as 37p a Cartridge.

I have this printer and the Compatable Inks work perfect and I think this is a Great Printer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Stylus-PX720WD-Printer-Duplex/dp/B003YLHWFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316628678&sr=8-1

Just in case you think I do not know what I am talking about when it comes to Print Quality, I was a Professional Photographer for over 35 Years and I have worked in three Photo Labs as a Printer in Colour and B/W, by hand and Machine.

The Chemist only does Digital Photo's, in other words it is done via a Computer and a Printer no different than you can do at home.

black rover
21-Sep-11, 21:17
Hi, i am a complete novice is the printer easy to work (i am a granny) regards

George Brims
21-Sep-11, 21:22
My only quibble with what Kodiak has said is that prints made with some of the third party inks do not last as well as the Epson inks. That said, the Epson inks a few years ago had a bad tendency to fade to a red-orange cast quite quickly, but they fixed that. Third party can be much cheaper though. Oh also you may find the warranty voided if you use third party inks, so I tend to stick with the manufacturer's ink until that runs out!

Kodiak
21-Sep-11, 21:33
My only quibble with what Kodiak has said is that prints made with some of the third party inks do not last as well as the Epson inks. That said, the Epson inks a few years ago had a bad tendency to fade to a red-orange cast quite quickly, but they fixed that. Third party can be much cheaper though. Oh also you may find the warranty voided if you use third party inks, so I tend to stick with the manufacturer's ink until that runs out!

The Inks I use do last and do not fade. Epson do state that the Warranty may be void if you use a 3rd party ink. This is just to scare you into buying their ink as it is not legal. It makes no difference what Ink you use and this does not affect your rights in any way under the sale of goods act.

George Brims
21-Sep-11, 21:36
Ain't no sale of goods act over here! Besides the warranty on everything is so short it hardly outlasts the first set of cartridges!
Another thing I forgot to say is never ever buy a Lexmark printer. Awful. The ink dries up every time you don't use the thing for more than a couple of days. The you waste most of it on "nozzle cleaning". This has been my experience with two different models.

Kodiak
21-Sep-11, 21:59
Fortunately we do have the sale of goods act and the Gurantee on Epson Printers here is 1 year. I go through so much ink I could not afford epson Carts. I use at least one set a week as I do a lot of printing. I also have 3 Printers and they are all on the go.

As to the your point on Lexmark Printers clogging up. The way to stop this is to never switch it off. This way the ink is kept warm and so stays liquid and this stops the heads drying out and clogging up. This will save you more money in ink than the little power you use.

George Brims
22-Sep-11, 00:51
Well I've been using the third party inks in both of mine for ages, but whenever I get a good price on the Epson I switch back. I currently have a big one belonging to my son-in-law (Stylus Pro 4000) and it takes cartridges the size of my laptop battery. Not looking forward to replacing those!
One of the Lexmarks was never turned off, and it still went bad. I am sticking with Epson. We also have a big (42 inch wide) HP at work and it's fabulous. Wish I could afford one for myself!

Kodiak
22-Sep-11, 16:14
The Epson Stylus Pro 4000 is a A2 Printer and uses 110ml or 220ml Ink Cartridges. The cost for original Epson Cartridges are £50.89 for the 110ml and £80.76 for the 220ml. If you wish to buy Compatable Inks they come in at £19.99 to £24.99 for the 220ml, quite a saving.

Needless to say you would not use this printer if you only wanted to print A4 as the inks cost too much. I have a A3 Printer and I only use it if I want a A3 Print, otherwise I use one of my A4 Printers. Not only are they more cost effective but I get far better quality as they print at a far higher resolution.