PDA

View Full Version : Where do you originate from?

willowbankbear
09-Oct-06, 19:38
Right , where do you originate from? Its probably been asked before but Im passing the time of day now, Ive lived in Wick all my days what about all of you? Any Northumbrians on here?

porshiepoo
09-Oct-06, 19:41
Born in Aylesbury. Moved around regularly due to my father being in the RAF. Then moved to Nottinghamshire, then Boston and now here.....forever and ever and ever. :) :)

changilass
09-Oct-06, 20:10
Born in Singapore, have had over 30 different addresses (another RAF brat)which include Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbernauld and here on 4 different occasions - don't intend moving out of the county except in a wooden box, so you're stuck with me :lol:

acameron
09-Oct-06, 20:21
Born and bred Thurso, moved to Edinburgh for about 16 years, found out Golach lived there so moved back home to Thurso.

millie
09-Oct-06, 21:19
Originally from Lincolnshire!! born in Cleethorpes, you'll never get me out of caithness now!!:D

Murchiemannie
09-Oct-06, 21:26
born and bred in Wick then moved to Aberdeen where I've been for the past thirty odd years, but still I class Wick as HOME.
You can take the person out of Wick ,but you can never take Wick out of the person.
It's a strange feeling but whenever I come "over the Ord" I feel so happy.

loneranger
09-Oct-06, 21:48
caithness born and bred, lived in eastmey for the first 23 years now been living in barrock for 1 year! going to be moving to hallkirk for a short while until we get our new house built in eastmey!:)

saffy100
09-Oct-06, 22:04
I was born in Stafford, lived in Birmingham,then back to Stafford then off to Canada for 6 months....then back to Stafford...then moved to Caithness 6 years ago....don't know where next...all pretty much depends on the lottery...lol

Saffy100

coastown
09-Oct-06, 22:09
I Was Born In Bridge Of Allan, Stirlingshire, Moved Up To Wick 29 Years Ago

engiebenjy
09-Oct-06, 22:10
Fife originally, various locations around Scotland since then. This is the second time we've been to Thurso, but I cannae face packing a lorry and heading south again, so stuck here just now!

iain
09-Oct-06, 22:18
Started off as a Helmie,but been in Reay for 24 years,think i'll stay now !!

Wish
09-Oct-06, 22:35
Born and lived in the same small town in Lancashire for all my life (34 yrs):eek: But about to move to Skye:cool:

Can't wait!

scaraben
09-Oct-06, 22:43
I was born in Wick worked in Edinburgh for 6 years then returned to Wick. 50 years and three months with the same organisation spending my last few years before retirement in my home town.

Kenn
09-Oct-06, 23:06
Born and bred in Cornwall, got wed to a Brightonian moved to Sussex but would rather be in Caithness.

golach
09-Oct-06, 23:22
Born and bred Thurso, moved to Edinburgh for about 16 years, found out Golach lived there so moved back home to Thurso.
Golach found ye oot, and ye were thrown oot o Auld Reekie

Fran
10-Oct-06, 00:39
Born in London, then lived in Austria, singapore, Hong Kong,London, Essex, Thurso and now Wick.Intended to move back to England when I moved to Wick but 26 years later I am still in Wick!!

goldenguernsey
10-Oct-06, 00:39
Yes, border rievers born and bred, oops, don't know if I should admit to that.

oldmarine
10-Oct-06, 00:48
Born in Huntington County, Indiana, USA. Moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana. Enlisted in the U.S. Marines for WWII spending 36 months in the South Pacific while fighting four battles against the Japanese Empire. Returned to the states where I reenlisted for 3 more years spending time in Virginia and California. Attended college for one year and enlisted in the U.S. Army Paratroopers for the Korean war. Went back to college and earned my engineering degree in electronics. Worked in the private sector for 14 years while in the states of Indiana, Arizona and Utah. Took a position with the U.S. Army Communications Command as Electronics Engineer at Fort Huachuca, Arizona. Traveled throughout the USA and around the world designing and installing satellite communications systems. That included several trips to England and Scotland. That's when I made three trips to Thurso, Scotland where I was assigned to the NavCommStation. I later took my family on a tour of Great Britain where we spent time at Thurso where I introduced my wife and daughters to the wonderful Scots I had known earlier. As I enter my 81st year of life, I reflect on the wonderful opportunities I have enjoyed throughout the world right up to the time where I now enjoy sunny Tucson, Arizona here in the US of A.
[lol] :lol:

saxovtr
10-Oct-06, 00:52
born in dunbar in thurso,been in watten for 20year!!nearly 21;)

grantyg
10-Oct-06, 10:37
Born in North Yorkshire - Have theakstons for Blood and live on nothing but yorkshire puddings and aunt bessie is my pin up!

BTW - Warm Yorkshire Pudding - with ice cream and treacle mmmmmmmmmm

LRM
10-Oct-06, 10:56
born in Kirkwall, Orkney. Stayed there until I was 21 then lived in Edinburgh for 3 years before moving to wick. I love living here but Orkney will always be my home.

macleod_callum
10-Oct-06, 11:06
Born in Edinburgh. Spent eight years in Birmingham, three years in Wick and now living in Aberdeen

Callum Macleod

mccaugm
10-Oct-06, 11:12
Born in Dingwall, lived in Invergordon most of my life with the occasional stint in Inverness, Evanton and Dingwall. Now live in Halkirk - love it here but will always consider Invergordon "Home".

Piglet
10-Oct-06, 11:20
Golspie is home but have lived in Castletown for 11yrs now.;)

henry20
10-Oct-06, 11:24
Born Dunbar hospital, had 3 homes all in caithness - 2 in the country, now live in Thurso. Thurso is my home as I hated the country. Can't imagine living anywhere else - but only because its too much hassle packing up all the rubbish I've accumulated over the years :lol:

connieb19
10-Oct-06, 11:27
Born in Dunbar Hospital, lived in Wick all my life.

lassieinfife
10-Oct-06, 11:52
Born Inverness lived army camps all over place including Fort George, Cameron bks both Inverness,Redford bks Edinburgh,Singapore,Hong Kong,India,Kenya,Germany and finally arrived in Fife where i have lived for last 35 yrs

Sapphire2803
10-Oct-06, 12:50
Born in Southampton, lived in hampshire for 12 years then Ireland for 10, moved to Portsmouth in 1995 stayed for 11 years, moved to Caithness in March this year (Auckengill) and I'm afraid you're stuck with me cos I love it here. :D

obiron
10-Oct-06, 13:45
born in wick. spell in invergordon when tiny. year in ullapool with hubby and then back to wick.

sapphire
10-Oct-06, 15:08
I'm a local!

( I wasn't going to bother posting but seeing as how there is another 'Sapphire' on the go I thought it would be better ) [disgust]

sapphire
10-Oct-06, 15:19
I'm a local!

( I wasn't going to bother posting but seeing as how there is another 'Sapphire' on the go I thought it would be better )

When I chose my name I checked the members list to make sure I wasn't pinching anyone elses.So I would like to apologise to Sapphire2803 for any mix up.

lorraine_2406
10-Oct-06, 15:33
I was born in Thurso lived in Wick moved to Thurso lived there 6 years then moved to Edinburgh and now living in Germany oh how i miss Edinburgh

sweetpea
10-Oct-06, 15:41
Born and brought up in Inverness. Came up her 14 years ago, never looked back!:D

Sapphire2803
10-Oct-06, 15:50
When I chose my name I checked the members list to make sure I wasn't pinching anyone elses.So I would like to apologise to Sapphire2803 for any mix up.

Sorry 'bout that :) I've been Sapphire2803 since time began (at least that's how it feels) anyway, if I change my sig, it should avoid any confusion.
:)
Emma

canuck
10-Oct-06, 16:16
I am posting from Waverley Station in Edinburgh.

The playground of my youth was Winnipeg, Manitoba, the Selkirk Settlement, the destination of so many from Caithness and Sutherland during the time of the Clearances.

Tugmistress
10-Oct-06, 16:39
Born in Liverpool, brought up in Beverley then when about 21 moved to just outside of Stoke-on-trent, then derby, then beeford (near bridlington) then hull then up here, first 6 weeks in a caravan up janetstown, then 6 months at isauld, then finally where i want to be Scrabster :D

Sporran
10-Oct-06, 17:34
I was born in Aberdeenshire, and moved up to Thurso with my parents when I was two. I married an American, and left Thurso when I was in my early twenties. We have lived on both sides of the Atlantic since then.

engiebenjy
10-Oct-06, 18:43
BTW - Warm Yorkshire Pudding - with ice cream and treacle mmmmmmmmmm[/quote]

I know this is a complete digression, but mmmmmmmmmm, you've just made me soooooooo hubgry. I prefer with golden syrup though - yuuuuummmmmmmmmmy!

Ali
10-Oct-06, 20:05
Born in Sanday, Orkney. Moved to Kirkwall , Orkney, a couple of other Orkney homes before Inverness and now Thurso, initially for a year but I'm into my 4th year now !! Am I a local yet?? lol

Ali

aileenmac
10-Oct-06, 20:25
Born in Glasgow, moved to Livingston, Mid Calder, Glasgow, Sittingbourne (Kent)
then Caithness. Probably moving to East Sussex soon!!

aileenmac
10-Oct-06, 20:27
Born in Sanday, Orkney. Moved to Kirkwall , Orkney, a couple of other Orkney homes before Inverness and now Thurso, initially for a year but I'm into my 4th year now !! Am I a local yet?? lol

Ali
If you are wearing red overalls then you are now a local!!

grantyg
10-Oct-06, 21:44
BTW - Warm Yorkshire Pudding - with ice cream and treacle mmmmmmmmmm

I know this is a complete digression, but mmmmmmmmmm, you've just made me soooooooo hubgry. I prefer with golden syrup though - yuuuuummmmmmmmmmy![/quote]

AARRRGGGHHHHH I meant treacle!

muddywilli
12-Oct-06, 00:36
I was born and lived in Warminster Wiltshire all my life until now. Now age 32 I moved to Milton and we are loving it. Though i will add the weather was a little on the crappy side today. View from no.10 Weir Cresent across the fields is great and our joining neighbours seem lovely.

futurelegends
12-Oct-06, 21:46
Born in Rhu (Near Helensburgh) and Brought up in Dumbarton Nil until I moved to Thurso in 1979 (best move I ever made).

Casey
13-Oct-06, 10:51
Born in Rhu (Near Helensburgh) and Brought up in Dumbarton Nil until I moved to Thurso in 1979 (best move I ever made).

I'll Dumbarton Nil you;)
I'm a Dumbarton FC season ticket holder for 25 years +

Born in Helensburgh, lived all my days in Glasgow ish.

I poke my nose in here from time to time as my father in law (Colin Fraser Mackay) is from Reay (the old smiddy and joiner shop) and my wife does family tree stuff, so I keep an eye out for anything of interest.

paris
13-Oct-06, 12:18
Born in Lenham, Kent (village ) Moved to Maidstone Kent, then to Lincolnshire (Boston ) then to Lybster caithness , now back in Boston Lincs but sooooooo want to come back up to Lybster area. HELP ! convince the other half its a good idea...... Jan x

Alice in Blunderland
13-Oct-06, 17:11
Born in Dalkieth moved to Wick then down to Livingston for a few years then came back to Wick.Have no plans to leave as I love it hear nice to go away for weekends and holidays but lovely to return again.

zappster
13-Oct-06, 18:24
Me...born,bred & died in wick

futurelegends
13-Oct-06, 19:15
I'll Dumbarton Nil you;)
I'm a Dumbarton FC season ticket holder for 25 years +

Born in Helensburgh, lived all my days in Glasgow ish.

I poke my nose in here from time to time as my father in law (Colin Fraser Mackay) is from Reay (the old smiddy and joiner shop) and my wife does family tree stuff, so I keep an eye out for anything of interest.

So Your the other one, I had a Season ticket myself for a while before logistics kicked in. I think my brother still buys one.

I still keep an eye on the results when they are playing.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
13-Oct-06, 20:16
Born in Ayrshire,the best county in Scotland......Until.......I met a Wicker,fell in love wi' the place,here for good!!!:D

cuddlepop
14-Oct-06, 16:08
Born in Glasgow,spent teenage years growing up in Wemyss Bay.Moved to Skye over twenty years ago and would dearly love to move to Caithness:D

Metalattakk
14-Oct-06, 22:21
Born in Thurso, lived in Thurso all ma days.

Hevna' any plans 'til go anywhere else - why wid I? None o' hid's as good as here. ;)

misty woman
14-Oct-06, 22:24
Born in wick,lived in the country for a few years,now live one mile outside wick.

airdlass
15-Oct-06, 07:28
Born in Wick,lived in the houses that used to be at the airport(anybody got any photos of them?)moved to Tongue.Have lived in Aberdeen,Kinlochbervie and Kirkwall. Now in Kincardineshire.