PDA

View Full Version : FAO Thurso & District Round Table

NickInTheNorth
20-Sep-11, 11:03
Regarding the recent thread about the fireworks.

In and amongst all the histrionics there is a perfectly legitimate question.

How much is the recommended donation going to be?

We the people that may well want to attend the event (or not) really would like to know in advance what sort of a donation you will be looking for.

Let me be clear - as far as I am concerned it is exactly that, a recommended donation, and as I have done every year I will contribute exactly as much as I want and not a penny more.

Something else that you could do to possibly make people feel a little less disgruntled at what is seen by some as a rather high "admission fee" is be open about the money spent on the fireworks, and the money taken in through the "voluntary donations".

I'm looking forward to this years fireworks.

lindsaymcc
20-Sep-11, 11:32
This was the ultimate point of the thread Nick - to see if they would advise what the suggested donation would be prior to the event.

Some people took exception to us daring to ask, and hence the resulting fall-out.

I do hope the powers that be will see this.

NickInTheNorth
20-Sep-11, 11:37
Really, I'm amazed!

lindsaymcc
20-Sep-11, 11:41
Really, I'm amazed!

Care to elaborate?

NickInTheNorth
20-Sep-11, 11:53
Not really - sarcasm can usually stand by itself ;-)

NickInTheNorth
20-Sep-11, 12:12
I've also PM'ed the OP of the fireworks thread to ask for a response - if nothing is forthcoming I'll not be paying more than a fiver to take the family to watch...

...would anyone care to join me?

Gronnuck
20-Sep-11, 12:19

We the people that may well want to attend the event (or not) really would like to know in advance what sort of a donation you will be looking for.

Let me be clear - as far as I am concerned it is exactly that, a recommended donation, and as I have done every year I will contribute exactly as much as I want and not a penny more.

Something else that you could do to possibly make people feel a little less disgruntled at what is seen by some as a rather high "admission fee" is be open about the money spent on the fireworks, and the money taken in through the "voluntary donations".

Good post NickInTheNorth. A simple question requires a simple answer.

teddybear1873
20-Sep-11, 12:35
Good post NickInTheNorth. A simple question requires a simple answer.

That often turns into a difficult debate.....................Shame really.

Gronnuck
20-Sep-11, 20:28
That often turns into a difficult debate.....................Shame really.

There's nothing to debate. Simple question. How much do I bring along with me on the night?

NickInTheNorth
20-Sep-11, 20:37
well I've also emailed them directly to ask them for the information and to draw their attention to the posts on here.

But I'm not going to hold my breath while waiting ...

teddybear1873
20-Sep-11, 21:53
There's nothing to debate. Simple question. How much do I bring along with me on the night?

Correct. Simple question with a simple answer. Shame they can't all be like that though.

I was speaking about other questions on this forum..........................If you catch my drift.

NickInTheNorth
21-Sep-11, 10:01
Well the email I sent has been read...

This is a receipt for the email message you sent to
<*****_********@btinternet.com> at 20/09/2011 19:05

This receipt verifies that the message has been displayed on the
recipient's computer at 20/09/2011 21:22

linnie612
21-Sep-11, 23:12

I've also PM'ed the OP of the fireworks thread to ask for a response - if nothing is forthcoming I'll not be paying more than a fiver to take the family to watch...

...would anyone care to join me?

well I've also emailed them directly to ask them for the information and to draw their attention to the posts on here.

But I'm not going to hold my breath while waiting ...

Well the email I sent has been read...

This is a receipt for the email message you sent to
<*****_********@btinternet.com> at 20/09/2011 19:05

This receipt verifies that the message has been displayed on the
recipient's computer at 20/09/2011 21:22

As you have taken it upon yourself to act for all, are you going to post the sent email?

NickInTheNorth
22-Sep-11, 08:03
no I'm not, and feel free to make your own enquiries

linnie612
22-Sep-11, 15:13
You have PM'd and emailed on behalf of 'We the people', and kept us updated. Surely 'the people' need to know what you have asked on their behalf?:roll:

alanabain
22-Sep-11, 20:26
I would just be happy to know the reply :)

gingernut
22-Sep-11, 20:32
You have PM'd and emailed on behalf of 'We the people', and kept us updated. Surely 'the people' need to know what you have asked on their behalf?:roll:

I would have thought it is fairly clear what NITN will have asked in the email.......... How much is the recommended donation going to be?

linnie612
22-Sep-11, 22:14
Why the song and dance, then?

secrets in symmetry
22-Sep-11, 22:34
Is there any connection between Thurso and District Round Table and Wick Academy Development Fund?

Could it be that the two organisations share a common public relations strategy?

Phill
07-Nov-11, 23:10
Note to organiser's: If Pyro 1 are doing the pyrotechnics then watch closely. Blink and you'll miss it.

Gronnuck
07-Nov-11, 23:18
Me thinks Thurso and District Round Table won't reveal the required donation because of 'commercial confidentiality'.

Bobinovich
08-Nov-11, 00:26
Well the poster on the front page of the Org says 'Entry by donation' with no mention of suggested or required donation, so just have to wait and see on the night now...

Cattach
08-Nov-11, 14:59

Simple answer pay what you think it is worth to attend otherwise stay at home. These people give up their own time and put in a lot of effort to provide a community event but still the morons are around looking for arguments to pick on price, date, quality of show, etc. No one is under any obligation to go nor forced to pay any amount of money. The beach area ia a public area so up is up to you walk and pay nothing and have it on your conscience, if you have one, or pay a fair price.

It sickens me to see all this nonsense - anyone who thinks it might cost too big a donation to go then stay at home and vegetate.

Gronnuck
08-Nov-11, 16:32
Simple answer pay what you think it is worth to attend otherwise stay at home. These people give up their own time and put in a lot of effort to provide a community event but still the morons are around looking for arguments to pick on price, date, quality of show, etc. No one is under any obligation to go nor forced to pay any amount of money. The beach area ia a public area so up is up to you walk and pay nothing and have it on your conscience, if you have one, or pay a fair price.

It sickens me to see all this nonsense - anyone who thinks it might cost too big a donation to go then stay at home and vegetate.

Cattach you're missing the point - you are not allowed to pay what you think its worth. A number of people last time arrived to find that the 'donation' demanded per head was quite costly, more than they expected, not more than they were prepared to pay. But because they didn't carry that amount of loose cash with them (most people use cards these days) they were humiliated and turned away.
I appreciate the work the Round Table do, all I want to know is how much cash should we bring with us on the night?

Dadie
08-Nov-11, 21:03
There was a bit the CLB side of the river that you could take the car to sit in to watch the fireworks.
Im not sure if it was only for disabled people or for everyone, but, if you wish to see the fireworks Kodiak it might be an option.
If you phone the no again you could always ask about the bit for watching in the car:D

pumkin
09-Nov-11, 10:14
I would feel very embarressed if I went to give a donation and was told the amount was too little and then I didn't have enough money to cover the cost. I thought a donation was a chosen amount of money given by the donator. People need to be prepared to go to events like this, especially with their families. Let us know what the minimum donation to be paid per head has to be to cover costs etc. I think its a great event to have in Thurso, and obviously alot of effort goes into it. I would be very interested in attending this year, but I would like to know how much I need to take to donate :)

Eilanboy
09-Nov-11, 16:48
Been watching this thread with amazement.It could only happen on the Org.Surely a donation means what it says you are donating the amount you want to.If there is a minimum although I have never heard of this before then it becomes an admission fee and should be stated.Reckon that is why the organisers won,t reply to any of the E mails no need to no set amount and if anybody tries to say there is ignore them.

Cattach
09-Nov-11, 17:03
Cattach you're missing the point - you are not allowed to pay what you think its worth. A number of people last time arrived to find that the 'donation' demanded per head was quite costly, more than they expected, not more than they were prepared to pay. But because they didn't carry that amount of loose cash with them (most people use cards these days) they were humiliated and turned away.
I appreciate the work the Round Table do, all I want to know is how much cash should we bring with us on the night?

Not missing the point at all. No one to my knowledge was refused entry last year and advice given regarding a suitable donation was objected to by a very small number of people who then sounded off on the org - which is their right if they wish but does not make their comments correct as can be seen by some of the claptrap in this thread.

As I say, go along and make a donation and no one will bother about what you put in the pail. In any event in the dark it is impossible to see what goes in the pail!

arat
09-Nov-11, 18:33
this thread is starting to get rather boring

judelock
12-Nov-11, 20:51
brilliant fireworks display tonight, last years donations well spent, look forward to see if next years can be topped.

Bobinovich
12-Nov-11, 21:07
Have to agree, was spectacular! Just when there was a final flourish and you thought that would be it, on more came. Unsure whether that final surprise was actually planned or not but it worked :D!! That's the first time I've heard applause at the end of the display too.

In light of the quality of the display, and the fact that the glow/flashing novelties had already run out by the time we arrived, I was happy to throw an additional donation into a pail as we left. Well done Tablers'

pat
12-Nov-11, 21:28
So glad you enjoyed your fireworks in Thurso - sounds as if it was a fantastic display.

Watched the beautiful fireworks in Battersea Park this year, personally would rather watch fireworks in an area I felt more secure, able to relax and enjoy the fireworks - like friendly Wick or Thurso!

Thank you Round Table for taking the time and effort to organise this event - keep up the community spirit.

poppett
13-Nov-11, 01:02
I watched, as usual, from my kitchen window.

Dadie
13-Nov-11, 01:36
I had fun and enjoyed it.
But it would have been a money spinner to have the buckets on the way outas well as the waty in ...I was looking for them, as I would have chucked in the rest of the loose change in...
As well as having more of the glow toys as they were really popular !

Loraine
13-Nov-11, 10:23
I watched, as usual, from my kitchen window.

Snap! So did we - and our bathroom window. An amazing display - I love fireworks!! Any orgers take any photos?!! :D

Just found some photos from last year's display: http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?126768-Thurso-fireworks.&highlight=fireworks