PDA

View Full Version : Bag Packing In Co-op and Summerfield

Chrissie
09-Oct-06, 14:03
I am the only one who gets annoyed with the charity bag packing in the supermarkets? I know that it is not compulsory to put money in their tins butyou feel mean if you say you don't want your shopping packed. I travel around the country a fair bit and I have never seen this going on in any other supermarkets it seems to be Caithness thing! What are they going to do when Tesco comes to Wick as you can ask to have your bags for you as part of the service and I have never seen any charities packing bags in a Tesco store! Some of the bag packers for charity cannot even pack your shopping properly others are just down right nosie, again I ask why should you have to have your bags packed by somebody you don't like or even don't speak to? If you don't like a particular check out operator you don't have to use that checkout but as far as the charity collectors are you don't have that choice.
I am very interested to find out what other peoples thoughts are on this

WeeBurd
09-Oct-06, 14:27
Bag packers do my head in. As soon as I spot them in a supermarket, I begin to mutter unmentionables, and idle threats of walking out and doing the shopping another day [lol]. Having raw chicken placed in the same bag as a loaf of bread from the instore bakery... would you eat the bread once you got home?

HOWEVER, I also realise that it's usually a very long day of tiring work for them, and they can make a considerable amount for their chosen charities, so I totally understand why they do it. More often than not I just tell them I'll pack myself and give them a donation, unless I'm harassed with the WeeBurdies!

Taking a different tack slightly... once it was young boys bagpacking for a local footie team. I told the lad I would pack myself, and put my donation in the tin in front of him. As he stood back to let me pack, an older male who was supervising started laying into him for not packing my bags. Poor wee mite, I did step in to get him off the hook.

golach
09-Oct-06, 14:33
Bag packing is very common in all Super Markets in Edinburgh, and it is usually for a local youngsters football team both boys and girls and many other youth organisations. I pack Mrs G's trolly myself but Mrs G always puts in a donation........its for CHARITY!!!! [disgust]

Buttercup
09-Oct-06, 15:04
You are certainly not alone Chrissie ~ I detest them. I wouldn't mind so much if they asked first but they usually start grabbing the shopping before you get through to stop them. It's when you get home and discover your tins of soup and peas have been put in on top of your cakes, which are now squashed and unfit to serve to visitors or the yoghurt is burst because the idiot put the washing powder packet on top ~ makes my blood boil [mad] The supermarkets tend to have a sweetie free checkout so why can't they have a bag-packer free checkout? I know it raises a lot of money for charities but unless they're going to train them to pack the shopping properly please stop allowing it!
Maybe that's something for Somerfield's complaints book (If you can find it) ;)

tip top
09-Oct-06, 15:10
These charity bag packing gigs should be banned!

Firelighters in with (squashed) cake and bread and you have to pay for the pleasure.

chaz
09-Oct-06, 15:13
We bag packed for the kids dancing , I always asked if people would like thier bag packed, and packed with care!! I know that others packing near me did the same, its a way of fundraising that as long as its done with consideration can work.
I do understand how others feel as i have had my bags packed for me and no thought has gone into it, its just been thrown in[disgust]
Full respect has to be given to those who dont want thier bags packed, and care to those who do.

footie chick
09-Oct-06, 15:15
Why are they allowed to go to the ten items or less till?

WeeBurd
09-Oct-06, 15:17
Why are they allowed to go to the ten items or less till?

:eek: Bit cheeky that, no?

Fluff
09-Oct-06, 16:22
instead of complaining, why dont you advise them that chicken gets packed alone etc..?

pops
09-Oct-06, 17:01
i know that any time i have bag packed we were told that we were to ask all customers if they would like their bags packed before we procceded to do so. I was always reminded by my mother before i went to bag pack what would not go in the same bags.

rfr10
09-Oct-06, 17:11
I have bag packed many times before and very rarely does anyone complain to us about packing their bags. Most people actually say that they think it's better that they have someone packing their bags for them, especially at Christmas time which is usually the time of year that we pack bags for people. If someone really doesn't want people to pack their bags for them then they just say and I just step back and let them carry on doing it themselves. Even if people like to pack their own bags, I find that quite often that they give a donation anyway. We're not there to annoy people, we are there to help and I'm sorry if that's the way you feel but no one is pressuring you into getting your bags packed. We also don't expect EVERYONE to give donations but we just like to feel as though we've helped. We are not going to hate you or go against you for not giving anything unless of course you are very rude which is a very rare thing that happens. Most charitable organisations (scouts for example) get told how to bag pack properly and there is usually always an adult or a senior scout at each checkout to make sure that the younger ones are doing it properly. Usually people are grateful for us packing their bags for them on the few days before Christmas and New Year. The Scouts along with the other organisations who bag pack put a lot of time and effort into bagpacking especially on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve when we could be doing other things instead.

Buttercup
09-Oct-06, 17:22
I have bag packed many times before and very rarely does anyone complain to us about packing their bags. Most people actually say that they think it's better that they have someone packing their bags for them, especially at Christmas time which is usually the time of year that we pack bags for people. If someone really doesn't want people to pack their bags for them then they just say and I just step back and let them carry on doing it themselves. Even if people like to pack their own bags, I find that quite often that they give a donation anyway. We're not there to annoy people, we are there to help and I'm sorry if that's the way you feel but no one is pressuring you into getting your bags packed. We also don't expect EVERYONE to give donations but we just like to feel as though we've helped. We are not going to hate you or go against you for not giving anything unless of course you are very rude which is a very rare thing that happens. Most charitable organisations (scouts for example) get told how to bag pack properly and there is usually always an adult or a senior scout at each checkout to make sure that the younger ones are doing it properly. Usually people are grateful for us packing their bags for them on the few days before Christmas and New Year. The Scouts along with the other organisations who bag pack put a lot of time and effort into bagpacking especially on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve when we could be doing other things instead.

I would like to make it clear that I have no objections with donating to charities, I just object to them grabbing my shopping before I get a chance to say "No thanks, I'll pack it myself". If they ask first, I still say "No thanks" but I do give a donation.

rfr10
09-Oct-06, 17:26
I would like to make it clear that I have no objections with donating to charities, I just object to them grabbing my shopping before I get a chance to say "No thanks, I'll pack it myself". If they ask first, I still say "No thanks" but I do give a donation.

:D fair enough, I'm with you there.

hammers
09-Oct-06, 17:28
Here here to all the bag packers.Getting your bags packed when you go shopping is well worth a couple of pounds donation.I would gladly pay every time i go shopping,keep up the good work,after all it`s for a good cause at the end of the day.

rfr10
09-Oct-06, 17:29
Here here to all the bag packers.Getting your bags packed when you go shopping is well worth a couple of pounds donation.I would gladly pay every time i go shopping,keep up the good work,after all it`s for a good cause at the end of the day.

Glad to hear it ;)

carasmam
09-Oct-06, 17:33
I love getting the bags packed for me and I have never had my shopping badly packed :) I just wish they would come home with me and put it all away too :Razz

marilyn
09-Oct-06, 19:32
:roll: I think the bag packers do a great job, I'm sure most of them would rather be somewhere else than standing at the end of the tills in either Safeway or the Co-op packing endless trolleys of shopping. The young ones (or often their parents) do this to raise funds for their activities and we are not oblidged to donate. I for one welcome them and hope they continue.

porshiepoo
09-Oct-06, 19:46
Oops is that what they are?????? LOL
I've seen them many times and they've packed my bags for loads of times.....I just thought they were either being helpful or were store staff with nothing to do. LOL.

I feel really bad now..........not!!!

Mister Squiggle
09-Oct-06, 19:49
Prior to moving to here, I had never seen bag packing done before but, both having had my bags packed and having done a few hours on tills for a couple of local groups, I have to say it's a brilliant fundraiser. I've never had any negative feedback and I've never seen anyone shoving stuff into bags willy nilly. Also, I always ask if the customer would like their bag packed, and I've not been knocked back yet. Most people are happy to put some pennies in the tin and chat about what we are raising funds for etc. Some people don't, but that's part of the strange and rich tapestry of life, I suppose.Bag packing at the local supermarket is just one way that community groups can get out there and raise much-needed funds. It also advertises what that group is trying to achieve and often gives younger members an active role to play in drumming up support and money for events that will be of benefit to them (ie the scouts, junior pipe bands etc). As far as I am aware, young people need to be supervised by an adult to avoid any possible "squashed bread" incidents.I think it's important to remember that the person packing your bag is a volunteer trying to do their bit by raising funds. They are giving up their own time and often, it is really hard to get people motivated to either help out in bag packing or other fundraising events. It can be a real slog doing endless raffles, cake stalls and yes, bag packs to try and keep your club or organisation afloat. Saying that, you could look at the number of bag packings happening in our local supermarkets as a sign that people do care and are willing to have a go at keeping community groups afloat. Worth a few broken eggs, surely? (which incidentally, is nothing compared to what I have achieved when packing my own shopping whilst keeping two small kids from dismantling the trolley).I'm sure if you really object to it, you could ask the packer not to pack - how about putting some money in the tin anyway?

footie chick
09-Oct-06, 19:52
I love getting the bags packed for me and I have never had my shopping badly packed :) I just wish they would come home with me and put it all away too :Razz

That would be well worth paying for if they unpacked it and put it away. If they could cook dinner too the clubs etc would make a fortune. lol

Max
09-Oct-06, 19:59
I am more than happy for someone to pack my bags, however I have noticed that some of the bagpackers are a little worried they put everything in the corect bags. To make one feel a bit better I once told them not to worry I usually get it wrong anyway and the bagpacker gave me a lecture about putting raw meat in separate bags (which I would actually do, I was just trying to be nice) - I felt most humble!

candyfloss
09-Oct-06, 20:12
I'm quite happy for them to pack my bags too. And i'm another one who hates putting the shopping away when i get home.

acameron
09-Oct-06, 20:16
Im a typical guy, I do not like shopping. In fact I would rather sit in the car and wait. But most of the time I have to go in as a trolley pusher and bag packer. Now, those bags are invented NOT to be used easily. I pick one up, no! wait its not one its six...so I have to separate one from the six, then I have to open it. I try to find the open bit at the top...nope.... lick my fingers and try to click it open ...nope...stretch the top until the opening is exposed. By the time I have done one, most of the shopping has gone through the bleep bleep thing and all piled up for me to pack. So there I am with one bag eventually opened, a pile of shopping in front of me, and a line of customers waiting. I feel obliged to rush it and start over filling the bag, then I go try open the second bag...so on and so on.

So, god bless you bag packers, I love each and every one of you.. anything to get me in and out of the supermarket as quick as possible. What do I care if my bacon is mixed in with the bleach, it gives the bacon sandwiches that extra kick

macleod_callum
09-Oct-06, 20:22
Quote: Chrissie
I am the only one who gets annoyed with the charity bag packing in the supermarkets?

For many groups this is the only way that they can make enough money to support themselves throughout the year.

I am sure if you would be willing to donate the money the Scouts (ect.) make from the bag packing, the kids would be quite happy not to turn up at Summerfield the day before Christmas and do a two hour session.

If they could cook dinner too the clubs etc would make a fortune. lol

Having run cooking sessions with Scouts and Explorers I can assure you that you really wouldn't want them cooking your dinner.

Callum Macleod

rfr10
09-Oct-06, 20:34
Quote: Chrissie
I am the only one who gets annoyed with the charity bag packing in the supermarkets?

For many groups this is the only way that they can make enough money to support themselves throughout the year.

I am sure if you would be willing to donate the money the Scouts (ect.) make from the bag packing, the kids would be quite happy not to turn up at Summerfield the day before Christmas and do a two hour session.

Having run cooking sessions with Scouts and Explorers I can assure you that you really wouldn't want them cooking your dinner.

Callum Macleod

Don't be cheeky now :D

caithness import
09-Oct-06, 20:34
To pack or not to pack, that is the question......

I'm afraid Tescos does charity bag packing - they do in Oban and Stirling although it didn't seem as often as Thurso's Co-op.

Hows about a comprimise? - let them pack but enjoy being bossy about where your messages go in a nice way of course. They get the money, you get a load off and the world is good again. If they don't do it to your satisfaction, steal one of them and make them unpack it at your house to understand the error of their ways.

Also, Tesco have the new points for bags thing going - had this in Inverness last time we were down, you get a club card point for every time you re-use a bag. This might put your charity bag packers out of business. As once Caithness starts collecting club card points which has a better rate than the Dividend card we won't be using bags at all - hence no charity bag packers.

but to answer the first question, i like my bags packed thank you.

_Ju_
09-Oct-06, 20:53
These charity bag packing gigs should be banned!

Firelighters in with (squashed) cake and bread and you have to pay for the pleasure.

just say "NO" for a definition, should you not be familiar with the word: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

It's a very small word. It only needs to be used once for the individual it is aimed at to understand it.

These are people giving up their time doing something that is quite difficult and tiring (try packing for an hour) for charity. NOT for their own benifit or enjoyment. You do NOT have to pay, nor do you HAVE to accept them packing your bags. All you need is to be more assertive in your own needs and wants and those will be perfectly acceptable to the bag packer, no hard feelings (Afterall, better bag packing than walking around the street with a can and a request for cash).

danc1ngwitch
09-Oct-06, 20:53
We were all born with a mouth and some know how to use it better than others. FREEDOM !!! LoL. Sounds like these horrible people who take time out of their days to help our Schools etc. are being ridiculed for nuttin. If yer no happy wea the help and giving a few useless coppers then CRY out !!! NO LEAVE MA SHOPPIN ALONE!!! call out U AINT GETTIN MA MONEY!!! LoL.
As for me well i am happy to help out with bag packin and i am also happy for to give ma loose change that annoys me in ma purse anyway.
By the way i was in Australia for a while and yep they do have charity effents there and its welcomed. SO ask yersel ( are scots mean ) Jokin just incase some have no sense oh humor. ..

WeeBurd
09-Oct-06, 21:42
Prior to moving to here, I had never seen bag packing done before but, both having had my bags packed and having done a few hours on tills for a couple of local groups, I have to say it's a brilliant fundraiser. I've never had any negative feedback and I've never seen anyone shoving stuff into bags willy nilly. Also, I always ask if the customer would like their bag packed, and I've not been knocked back yet. Most people are happy to put some pennies in the tin and chat about what we are raising funds for etc. Some people don't, but that's part of the strange and rich tapestry of life, I suppose.Bag packing at the local supermarket is just one way that community groups can get out there and raise much-needed funds. It also advertises what that group is trying to achieve and often gives younger members an active role to play in drumming up support and money for events that will be of benefit to them (ie the scouts, junior pipe bands etc). As far as I am aware, young people need to be supervised by an adult to avoid any possible "squashed bread" incidents.I think it's important to remember that the person packing your bag is a volunteer trying to do their bit by raising funds. They are giving up their own time and often, it is really hard to get people motivated to either help out in bag packing or other fundraising events. It can be a real slog doing endless raffles, cake stalls and yes, bag packs to try and keep your club or organisation afloat. Saying that, you could look at the number of bag packings happening in our local supermarkets as a sign that people do care and are willing to have a go at keeping community groups afloat. Worth a few broken eggs, surely? (which incidentally, is nothing compared to what I have achieved when packing my own shopping whilst keeping two small kids from dismantling the trolley).I'm sure if you really object to it, you could ask the packer not to pack - how about putting some money in the tin anyway?

As I said in my post, I do donate whether I pack my own bags or not, but since we're getting down to the nitty gritty (i.e. money issues!), I donate every time because I feel obliged to. Not because I want to. And that's not being mean, it's stating that there are certain charities I would donate money to EVERY week, happily without issue. There are other "charities" which I do not support, but having a tin shoved at the end of the checkout I have no choice but to donate something. Don't make me name and shame them [lol] !

Oh heck, I can see the bad rep piling in for this beauty![lol]

footie chick
09-Oct-06, 22:17

Callum Macleod

Would try anything once for a night off ;)

Venture
09-Oct-06, 22:18
Just fresh from having done bagpacking for five hours to help raise funds for our organisation can I just say that 99% of the people had no objections In fact they were glad we were there and were willing to give us their loose change in return.

We always ask if they want it done and we always make sure that the packing is done properly. The checkout operators absolutely love us bagpackers because by doing this the customers get through the tills quicker and they dont have to help customers pack when we are there.

I did come across people who said they didnt want their shopping packed and there were also people who had their shopping packed but didnt contribute anything. This didnt mean that we emptied their shopping back out again we didnt mind because we were really grateful to all the people who DID put money in our tins. Its hard, back breaking work but worth it. All I can say to those who disapprove of us is instead of shouting about it on here why dont you just tell us to our faces. We wont mind after all there aren't many of you.

Mister Squiggle
09-Oct-06, 22:26
Hey Weeburd, no one should bad rep you for having your say about this! Fair enough if you don't like feeling pressured into donating, but it's a shame if the bag packers make you feel like this, as that's not the purpose of the exercise.

It's just that bag packing is a really good way of raising funds and yes, (deep breath) it is about money, as well being a good way to raise awareness of community groups and what they are doing.

And, as I said before, I'd always ask first if someone wanted to pack and if the answer is no, then that's the end to it. No pressure and no hard feelings.

Donating to any group should be voluntary, no question. It's just really hard to raise money for, example, PTAs, sporting organisations or childrens' groups and this is a great way of getting extra and much needed funds. I think the money raised from these events must be a huge help to a lot of groups, as I know our last PTA bag pack enabled us to fund school trips, buy additional school resources etc. We told people what we were fundraising for and most people were really positive. Some people didn't donate, but that's neither here nor there. It raised money, it helped the school and we all went home feeling warm and fuzzy. We didn't draw up a secret hit list of people who spurned us, nor did any of us attack people with tins.

So I know you might grimace when you see me at the end of your checkout, plastic bag in hand, but just say "No thanks" and that should be the end of it. Also, whenever I've bag packed there has usually been an open checkout without a packer on it, but of course that depends on (a) time of day and (b) the store.

WeeBurd
09-Oct-06, 22:27
Just fresh from having done bagpacking for five hours to help raise funds for our organisation can I just say that 99% of the people had no objections In fact they were glad we were there and were willing to give us their loose change in return.

We always ask if they want it done and we always make sure that the packing is done properly. The checkout operators absolutely love us bagpackers because by doing this the customers get through the tills quicker and they dont have to help customers pack when we are there.

I did come across people who said they didnt want their shopping packed and there were also people who had their shopping packed but didnt contribute anything. This didnt mean that we emptied their shopping back out again we didnt mind because we were really grateful to all the people who DID put money in our tins. Its hard, back breaking work but worth it. All I can say to those who disapprove of us is instead of shouting about it on here why dont you just tell us to our faces. We wont mind after all there aren't many of you.

Venture, please re-read my original post so you are clear on my stance as I believe I am what you would consider to be in the 1%.

Venture
09-Oct-06, 22:43
Weeburd - You are more or less saying that you feel you have to donate just because there is a tin sitting there. Not at all. I also appreciate that you feel some charities are more worthy than others. What I would like to point out is in this day and age it is very difficult to raise funds and even more difficult to get the people to help you do so. For a small organisation like ours bagpacking allows the "faithful half dozen volunteers" the chance to raise a realistic amount of money in return for a few hours work to help our cause. The BIG charities get donations no problem its the wee ones who struggle the most.

WeeBurd
09-Oct-06, 23:23
Weeburd - You are more or less saying that you feel you have to donate just because there is a tin sitting there. Not at all. I also appreciate that you feel some charities are more worthy than others. What I would like to point out is in this day and age it is very difficult to raise funds and even more difficult to get the people to help you do so. For a small organisation like ours bagpacking allows the "faithful half dozen volunteers" the chance to raise a realistic amount of money in return for a few hours work to help our cause. The BIG charities get donations no problem its the wee ones who struggle the most.

Venture, you're absolutely right, I do feel I have to donate because there is a tin there. I totally appreciate the act of bagpacking, which I acknowledged earlier - large sums of money for charities/groups, but that doesn't change the fact that it is obligation that makes me donate when I have packed my own bags. And lets not all kid ourselves, who puts coppers in tins in this day and age?

I accept it is often hard to find volunteers for such charity work too - I've done my share over the years, and will no doubt continue to do so, infact more so as the WeeBurdies grow up, and become involved in schools/clubs/hobbies... but there are certain causes that I do not feel particularly happy about contributing to. Selfish? Maybe. But I'm only being honest. It's not the act of parting with the money - it's who I'm giving it too.

But, this debate should not be reduced to money, and implying that people who do not support bagpacking are just tight, as that's not the case. I've already stated, my primary objection is the actual packing - there goes my OCD again [lol] . Hence I generally pack myself...

Tom Cornwall
09-Oct-06, 23:37
We have charities bag-packing in our local Sainsbury's, and I wouldn't be so mean as to say that they shouldn't do it. You aren't forced to put money in their tin but it's only a few pence so what's the hastle. Are we getting worked up over nothing. Are we really as mean as everyone says we are???

Fran
10-Oct-06, 01:47
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_12_2.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN) I was very interested to read all your posts which i will keep in mind when I bagpack for the Wick Lifeboat next month. I have done bag packing for the Royal British legion in the past and it is a good way to make funds. People do not have to put money in the collection tins and can always say they want to pack their own bags.
The Royal Britis Legion do their bagpacking at Christmas time and it is very hard work standing for hours packing.
I myself am happy to have my bags packed for me and am quite happy to put some coins in a collection box.

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZN (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb095_ZN&utm_id=7923)

mccaugm
10-Oct-06, 11:24
:Razz I was bag packing for the Halkirk Playgroup and Toddler group. I was very careful to pack the bags as I would do my own. Fresh food with fresh food, packets, jars, frozen etc. I had one woman who said she would prefer to do her own and that was fine. We raised a great deal of money and I would like to thank everyone who gave.

henry20
10-Oct-06, 11:28
Personally, I prefer to pack my own shopping as I pack it according to which cupboard/shelf it goes to. But give me a bag packer over a husband anyday. We bought a nice big bloomer in Tesco's yesterday and by the time we got to the car, it was flat as a pancake as he piled all the shopping on top of it!! :roll:

connieb19
10-Oct-06, 11:36
I find that the bagpackers are so wary about getting it wrong, that now they just put a couple of items in each carrier bag, so you end up home with loads of bags. I suppose it's better than getting the firelighters in with the bread.
If someone's packing my bags, I usually try to catch the things I want packed seperately.
I don't mind them there though, and don't mind giving a donation.

Piglet
10-Oct-06, 11:37
I have bag packed on several occasions but we always ask if you would like it packed & we always leave 1 or 2 checkouts free because we do under stand not everyone wants this service. It raises a lot of money when this is done.:D

I think its great when i get my bags packed & i have never had my bags packed badly.

tip top
10-Oct-06, 11:47
just say "NO" for a definition, should you not be familiar with the word: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

It's a very small word. It only needs to be used once for the individual it is aimed at to understand it.

I have no problems with using or understanding the word no, and when I use it to advise bag packers I prefer to do my own packing I do not feel any nead to "SHOUT" it.

PS Your link does not work

Buttercup
10-Oct-06, 18:33
I have bag packed on several occasions but we always ask if you would like it packed & we always leave 1 or 2 checkouts free because we do under stand not everyone wants this service. It raises a lot of money when this is done.:D

I think its great when i get my bags packed & i have never had my bags packed badly.

Thank you for being a considerate bag-packer/group- that's what I like - to be given the option without causing offence. :)