View Full Version : Thurso firework display

thursochin
18-Sep-11, 19:21
THURSO & District Round Table

FIREWORK DISPLAY

Saturday 12 th November 2011, Thurso Harbour
Fireworks start at 7 pm
Glow Novelties will be available

ENTRY BY SUGGESTED DONATION, PLEASE DONATE GENEROUSLY AS THIS EVENT IS ENTIRELY SELF-Funding ,DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND OUR CONTROL IT IS ON THE 12TH AND NOT THE 5TH

orkneycadian
18-Sep-11, 19:39
I thought bonfire night was supposed to be the 5th of November?

ShelleyCowie
18-Sep-11, 22:57
I thought bonfire night was supposed to be the 5th of November?

Read the last line :roll:

Anyways, is this actually donation?! Because when i went last time, we were charged a fee and i wasnt impressed at the cost [disgust] i know, i know...they have to pay for fireworks, but i aint gettin conned again!

lindsaymcc
18-Sep-11, 23:16
I think they are covering themselves by saying "suggested donation" - in other words, minimum of what they say but give more if you can.

ShelleyCowie
18-Sep-11, 23:38
I think they are covering themselves by saying "suggested donation" - in other words, minimum of what they say but give more if you can.

Lol they can suggest, i will take note.....doesnt mean i will give what they suggest though! But hey....weve sorted that ;)

gollach
19-Sep-11, 08:18
Lol they can suggest, i will take note.....doesnt mean i will give what they suggest though! But hey....weve sorted that ;)

Mind that next year when you start girning about the lack of firework display.

Droopy
19-Sep-11, 08:34
Anyways, is this actually donation?! Because when i went last time, we were charged a fee and i wasnt impressed at the cost [disgust] i know, i know...they have to pay for fireworks, but i aint gettin conned again!

Quite right Shelley.....if Dounreay (the taxpayer) or The Government (the taxpayer) arnt paying for something in Thurso, its got to be a con hasnt it ?.......How unfair of the organisers to expect people, who are there to enjoy the display, to pay and cover the costs of the event.......

I think Dounreay should also be made to provide small change (in safe, risk assesed bags) for people to throw on the floats, so that the Thurso Gala night is better too.......?

No goodwill = no fireworks = something more for 'Orgers' to moan/agree about on here.......

Cattach
19-Sep-11, 10:07

You have sorted it OK. You have just proved that you have no idea of the cost and voluntary effort that goes into providing this event for Thurso. Thank goodness there are not many people like you around. Of course, the choice is yours whether to go or not or maybe stand with the small group of cheapskates who position themselves well along the foreshore to avoid paying.

ShelleyCowie
19-Sep-11, 10:09
I can moan if i want, seems that the rest of you seem to do a dam good job of it too. The reason i saw it as a RIP OFF is because i had to pay a few years back when my son was in a pram, fast asleep, really little. He wasnt watching the fireworks, but i had to pay to take him in anyway.

If they said DONATION, i would give a decent sum of money for our family, im not cheap, but if i have my step sons that makes 6 of us (including a 1 year old) so i refuse to pay the suggested donation (just bloody well say its a fee and stop covering asses here) then at least people would know what to bring on the night! I know of at least 3 parents who said they never had enough money to get in because of the "suggested donation"

pinkandglittery2
19-Sep-11, 10:27
personally, i think itd make things clearer if they either charged or didnt.itd be alot fairer and then people could choose to pay the fee or not go.

Spring Flower
19-Sep-11, 11:26
Its great that the fireworks are being organised and I for one will be attending with my family but I do agree with Shelley, why not just say entry fee is £?? rather say suggested donation and not even say what the suggested donation is so that people are aware of how much it is going to cost. I went along last year and parked over at the Caithness Livestock Breeders so my young children could watch from the car. This area was fenced off so we had to pay which I really didn't mind doing but I just had enough to cover the fee, the people in the car in front did not have enough so they had to try and reverse out of the area which held everyone up from getting into the car park. I really don't mind paying as I have said because it is self funding but I do think it is a little unfair not to give the price of the suggested donation................. if the suggested donation is made clear it is up to the individual whether or not they attend.

Thumper
19-Sep-11, 11:55
Surely a "suggested donation" cannot be upheld if people dont not have or want to pay the suggested price? To me suggested means that its what they think you should pay,but not actually a price so therefore people can pay whatever they want? I must admit I have stopped going with the kids as I simply cannot afford it anymore,and would be even less likely to go if I wasnt sure how much I was actually going to be charged,talk about embarrassing being asked to leave because you dont have the amount they have deemed appropriate :eek: Far better they put an actual price on it that covers the amount used to rebuy fireworks etc and be done with it!x

telfordstar
19-Sep-11, 12:10
so glad us wickers watch ours free :)

Dadie
19-Sep-11, 13:30
How much is the suggested donation this year?
I dont mind paying the donation, its nice to know how much money to take with you, to factor in buying glow sticks etc for the kids as well.
And a few trays of chips to eat in the car on the way home:D

Spring Flower
19-Sep-11, 14:08
Surely a "suggested donation" cannot be upheld if people dont not have or want to pay the suggested price? To me suggested means that its what they think you should pay,but not actually a price so therefore people can pay whatever they want? I must admit I have stopped going with the kids as I simply cannot afford it anymore,and would be even less likely to go if I wasnt sure how much I was actually going to be charged,talk about embarrassing being asked to leave because you dont have the amount they have deemed appropriate :eek: Far better they put an actual price on it that covers the amount used to rebuy fireworks etc and be done with it!x

totally agree - the car in front of us didn't have enough for the 5 inside so they were not allowed in. think there was a thread on this last year as there was some confusion - think some people let people decide on an amount, others were strict with you either pay or you don't get in.

ShelleyCowie
19-Sep-11, 14:12
Exactly! Imagine the disappointment in some kids when mum and dad turn round and say "sorry, they wont let us in because the money we have doesnt cover what they want"

I say set it to a FEE to stop all confusion and disappointment. And not a ridiculously over priced fee either. Im pretty sure if you have a slightly lower price, chances are you will get more people wanting to come which in the end makes enough money?!

Out of curiosity how much would parents mind paying? What would you say is reasonable?

pat
19-Sep-11, 14:21
Thank goodness there are folk willing to organise a firework night or any of the other voluntarily organised events in your community.

If you do not want to pay to watch the fireworks - fine do not expect there to be a firework display or anything organised by "Willing Volunteers" in your community - a community only works when folk participate in community events.

Surely do not expect the people organising it to pay for the fireworks out of their own pockets so you can watch the display - come on Thurso get your hands into your pockets and support your localFire Works Display.

lindsaymcc
19-Sep-11, 14:25
No-one is disputing PAYING for the display, it is more to do with their wording of "suggested donation"..... which isnt publicised before the event.

Say for example, a family of 5 arrive on the night with £15 in their possesion. On the signs it says £5 per adult £3 per child...... thats £19 so would be refused entry.

All we are asking is that the organisers advertise the "suggested donation" prior to the event in order people can plan, unlike last year which was to be fair, a bit of a farce and depended entirely on who was taking money at the gate.

balto
19-Sep-11, 14:37
the only reason they have a suggested donation, is so you get there on the night unsure what you have to pay only to be hit with say £3 per person , now most people wont want to dissapoint their kids by refusing to pay this, its the same with everything they aim it allat the kids as they know parents dont want any upset, mayby they should do some fundraising throughout the year so that people can just give a donation of what they can afford.

Corrie 3
19-Sep-11, 14:50
You wouldn't walk into a shop and buy something that you don't know the price of would you? It's crazy not putting a price on this event so that everyone is fully informed of what they have to pay on the night. Personally if it were me and I had only taken £15 and the entrance fee asked was £19 I would give them the £15 and walk in and let them try and stop me!!!
It's actually a scandal and very poor indeed.

C3...............[disgust]:roll:

Droopy
19-Sep-11, 15:03
To all the Thurso Round Table who volunteer and organise the fireworks.
Please take no notice of the virtual village idiots who live in a virtual/facebook bubble here on the Org.

Everyone l speak to speaks so highly of the firework display, and if Shelley knows 3 people who wernt happy she must have been standing beside the minority who wont, or grudge paying.

Its worth remembering that probably 50% of Caithness doesnt know this forum exsists. Out of the remainder, 80% are lurkers , ie not members with a user name. (Work and dont have time to post 1000's) 15% are members, but dont post, and with the final 5% of posters, only half of them fall into the virtual village idiot category. So in reality only 1.25% of Caithness have a problem with paying a donation to the fireworks.

The other 98.75% of Caithness realise you cant charge a set fee as then youd never be able to have the event due to all the health and safety/public liability/litigation that would be required if you set a 'charge' rather than a donation.

So please.....we do appreciate what you do for the county and if large famillies cant afford the entry......it was their choice to procreate!!

Well done Thurso Round Table, and please dont take the 'Org' as a yardstick off public opinion..

lindsaymcc
19-Sep-11, 15:16
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DROOPY!!!!

No-one is disputing paying for the display! We would just like to know HOW MUCH their "suggested donation" is BEFORE we take the family down.

Please READ what people have written, no-one has said they dont want to pay.

lindsaymcc
19-Sep-11, 15:18
The other 98.75% of Caithness realise you cant charge a set fee as then youd never be able to have the event due to all the health and safety/public liability/litigation that would be required if you set a 'charge' rather than a donation.

So why not say in advertising "suggested donation of £X per person" ????

ShelleyCowie
19-Sep-11, 15:21
To all the Thurso Round Table who volunteer and organise the fireworks.
Please take no notice of the virtual village idiots who live in a virtual/facebook bubble here on the Org.

Everyone l speak to speaks so highly of the firework display, and if Shelley knows 3 people who wernt happy she must have been standing beside the minority who wont pay.

Its worth remembering that probably 50% of Caithness doesnt know this forum exsists. Out of the remainder, 80% are lurkers , ie not members with a user name. (Work and dont have time to post 1000's) 15% are members, but dont post, and with the final 5% of posters, only half of them fall into the virtual village idiot category. So in reality only 1.25% of Caithness have a problem with paying a donation to the fireworks.

So please.....we do appreciate what you do for the county and if large famillies cant afford the entry......it was their choice to procreate!!

Well done Thurso Round Table, and please dont take the 'Org' as a yardstick off public opinion..

What an arsehole! Read the dam thread! Of course they can charge a set fee, £2.50 for kids, £4 for adults. WOW look at what i done there, i came up with a suggestion! Holy sh1t i didnt know people could do that!

the 50% of the people who dont know about this forum are dam lucky to not have come across complete twats like you.

Get a f'ing grip! Yes i took the bite, but you piss me off so much that getting banned makes me laugh! At least i can tell you what a jumped up little pr1ck you are and go down telling it!

Wow i feel so much better! I guess this post is gonna do me no good so ta hell with it ;) f'ing arse!

scoobyc
19-Sep-11, 15:27
lol, looks like the thread might be more entertaining than the display if this keeps up!
(runs away and hides a suitable distance :) )

joxville
19-Sep-11, 15:29
I'm sure the majority of people,(and orgers), appreciate the fact it is organised and run by volunteers, but in this current economic climate where Caithnessians in particular are hit hard by the lack of work and run their house to a tight budget then an advertised 'suggested donation price' would help them plan accordingly, and perhaps make it free for the under 5's.

I think Balto has a good idea in collecting it throughout the year, local shops could have a charity box next to the till for shoppers to donate loose change, a few pence donated every day isn't going to be missed.

alanabain
19-Sep-11, 15:30
What an arsehole! Read the dam thread! Of course they can charge a set fee, £2.50 for kids, £4 for adults. WOW look at what i done there, i came up with a suggestion! Holy sh1t i didnt know people could do that!

the 50% of the people who dont know about this forum are dam lucky to not have come across complete twats like you.

Get a f'ing grip! Yes i took the bite, but you piss me off so much that getting banned makes me laugh! At least i can tell you what a jumped up little pr1ck you are and go down telling it!

Wow i feel so much better! I guess this post is gonna do me no good so ta hell with it ;) f'ing arse!

Agreed :D

And LMFAO Shelley!! Hahahahaha

Droopy
19-Sep-11, 15:31

So under 20 quid is too expensive for a family of six for a nights entertainment your suggesting.......? How cheap would you like it?

ShelleyCowie
19-Sep-11, 15:32
Agreed :D

And LMFAO Shelley!! Hahahahaha

I know, cant be assed anymore so just gonna stop biting my tongue! U proud?! ;)

So under 20 quid is too expensive for a family of six for a nights entertainment your suggesting.......? How cheap would you like it?

it was an example you plonk! Sheesh.....and people wonder if i have 2 brain cells to rub together, im guessing ur looking for even one

alanabain
19-Sep-11, 15:38
[QUOTE=ShelleyCowie;888907]I know, cant be assed anymore so just gonna stop biting my tongue! U proud?! ;)

hell yea little sis!! :D

pinkandglittery2
19-Sep-11, 15:38
this is exactly why i dont post on here often!!! people can be so nasty...and i dont mean you shelley!! everyone's allowed an opinion!!

lindsaymcc
19-Sep-11, 15:39

did she say ANYWHERE about it being too expensive?

Seriously, is it too much arse-ache for the powers that be that organise the event to publicise in advance how much their suggested donation is?

Invisible
19-Sep-11, 15:41
Mind that next year when you start girning about the lack of firework display.

Mind that next time when you try to make a funny comment that obviously isnt :Razz

balto
19-Sep-11, 15:42
So under 20 quid is too expensive for a family of six for a nights entertainment your suggesting.......? How cheap would you like it?seriously when has a night been 20 to 30 mins long my god seriously, not forgetting all the other rip of bits you have to pay for when you get in, collect all year round do a bit of fundraising, my god thurso gala do it the whole year round to cover the cost of things , why cant the round table,.. oh shelley you are so spot on it is unreal, high time someone but these busybody crowd in their place who dont have much else to do.

teddybear1873
19-Sep-11, 15:44
Thought I'd just pop in and see the fireworks.............Best display in years :)

I see someone lit the fuse on Shelley's tampon, Go Shelley, Go Shelley.

alanabain
19-Sep-11, 15:48
Thought I'd just pop in and see the fireworks.............Best display in years :)

I see someone lit the fuse on Shelley's tampon, Go Shelley, Go Shelley.

Excellent post!! 2nd to Shelleys one! lol

ShelleyCowie
19-Sep-11, 15:49
F'ing hell am still goin?!

Bout time i said what everyone felt tho, those arses who think they own this place can continue to sit and dictate, degrade and be plain dam mean if they want! Bloody loosers!

Dadie
19-Sep-11, 15:51
A "suggested donation" would be good to know, as last year some people were turned away for not having enough money to cover the "donation".
Which in turn really makes it a price!
It makes life easier if you know how much of a donation is expected.
And if babies in buggies have to "donate" the same as an adult.
It would help me to know in advance, the amount needed for my family to go!

I know in years past there used to be really a really big turn out, with people with collecting buckets for change, and people used to think it was ok to only chuck in a few coppers, now I know thats not an ideal way to cover costs and fund the next years display.
More money has to be generated at the display from the people going to watch, but, if people dont know what the suggested donation is, it may put people off going incase they get turned away.

dragonfly
19-Sep-11, 15:53
OOh Shelley, you've been reported.......just wait for the kicking out. Glad I saw who reported it tho no doubts as to who would do it, if it were up to him we'd all be off and he could have his perfect cliquey org back to the way it was when he was a boy!

ShelleyCowie
19-Sep-11, 15:54
OOh Shelley, you've been reported.......just wait for the kicking out. Glad I saw who reported it tho no doubts as to who would do it, if it were up to him we'd all be off and he could have his perfect cliquey org back to the way it was when he was a boy!

Haha i will go down kicking and screaming :p And yeah, i could of guessed who would get a stick up their arse before i typed it!

Back to the clique, but trust me....this aint the last of me! :D

ShelleyCowie
19-Sep-11, 15:56
Just to add before i go down to MODS and ADMIN, see how many people came to post here in my defence and these are people who dont post anymore because of the idiotic ways this forum has gotten its self into!

Does that not tell you something?! Rep is flying around more than it ever has! The support and messages i have gotten is "good on you shelley"

So take note, this place isnt what you dreamed when you made it. Its a forum for people to bully and sit behind usernames! Well everyone knows my name and am PROUD o that!

balto
19-Sep-11, 15:57
oh surprise surprice shelley you have upset the pc brigade

lisagrace
19-Sep-11, 15:58
It is good that people wish to run it but i do get pissed off that our public beach is out of bounds during the display, my aunt lives in Pentland Crescent and I was refused entry to her house one year (WTF?) so how does a voluntary organisation get to dictate people's movements and then saying that people standing further up are cheap, people can stand wherever they like, I can see it from my window - should I shut my eyes when its going on? perhaps it should be held in a field somewhere and then there would be no misunderstandings about who paid or whatever. And how come the fireworks in inverness are run by the council and entry is free, we all pay the same council tax but there is no equity in service.

Droopy
19-Sep-11, 16:00
F'ing hell am still goin?!

Bout time i said what everyone felt tho, those arses who think they own this place can continue to sit and dictate, degrade and be plain dam mean if they want! Bloody loosers!

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding...............JACKPOT!!!!

BTW.....How can anyone 'own this place'? its virtual....explain that to your mates and big sis!.....;)

ShelleyCowie
19-Sep-11, 16:01
ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding...............JACKPOT!!!!

BTW.....How can anyone 'own this place'? its virtual....explain that to your mates and big sis!.....;)

LMAO! Thats the best you can come up with?! hahahahaha feck...thats just genius! I was sitting in suspense waiting for a well thought reply and thats it! GTFO!

Dadie
19-Sep-11, 16:04
Oh
Forgot to say I love the big displays of fireworks.
And think that organised displays are the way to go, with the amount of injuries caused by people "doing their own" displays or acting like eejits with fireworks.
And as for the amount let off on the run up to bonfire night ...starting before halloween and scaring pets and livestock without any warning ..GRRR

lindsaymcc
19-Sep-11, 16:05
At the end of the day, there are a lot of orgers out there wanting the same thing.

TO KNOW THE PRICE

its not rocket science, its economical sense. Times are tough for EVERYONE, and to be able to plan ahead, knowing that we will need £X for the fireworks and all the gubbins that goes with it, is not something people should be protesting at.

Not everyone in this town has buckets of cash to throw around willy nilly (aware that a lot do though) so I make my apologies now for being financially savvy and budgeting.

pinkandglittery2
19-Sep-11, 16:05
maybe what shelley means by 'own this place' is that people who use the page think this is there own little world,and that said people think they can control and bully 'outsiders' who have an opinion that doesn't match theirs until they get reported to the 'king of the land' and are stopped having the freedom to express their opinion by being banned!!! tbh my experience of .org is not a good one, it seems to be full of bullys!

alanabain
19-Sep-11, 16:06

Eh keep me out of it! Never have i ever mentioned about people owning the org! Nor do i care [disgust]

Thumper
19-Sep-11, 16:07
Oh for god sake Droopy,get a grip!I cannot remember one post when you havent moaned,griped or bitched TBH!What people are saying is CAN THE ROUND TABLE NOT ACTUALLY PUT A PRICE OR EVEN SAY SUGGESTED DONATION IS X AMOUNT, AND WITHOUT DONATING THAT MINIMUM YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED ACCESS....now sorry for shouting (infractions here I come too) but jee whizz,all anyone wants to know is how much its gonna cost to save them some embarrassment on the night!
I also think that lower prices WOULD attract more people,not everyone has a spare £20 to spend but maybe would have £10 or whatever price they actually decide on!x

pat
19-Sep-11, 16:22
As someone says - why not save up all year but with you own money, yourselves in your own pocket - that way Roundtable or whatever organisation would not have to go to the expense of getting collecting tins and seeing to them being emptied etc.
Each year there are rough set dates for functions - Gala, Fireworks. Hogmanay, so you know these dates and should be prepared to put your hand in your own pocket without someone else having to go to the bother of collecting cans, buying them, ensuring they are emptied, counting the monies, yourself seeong collecting cans at the checkouts until you are sick of the sight of them for everything under the sun.
Would not be surprised if anyone from some of the events in Caithness give up in total dispair after reading all the minor complaints on here and leave the moaners to organise an event for everyone - how many events will occur with the bunch of moaners on here? Very few in my estimation.

lindsaymcc
19-Sep-11, 16:25
The Gala fundraise all year, and there isnt a "watching fee" to attend the procession. All prices for activities during Gala week are advertised prior to the event.

Hogmanay is a choice, and most with young children dont go out.

Fireworks is an optional extra in my book, but this is what I want to do - budget for it, but how can I budget if I dont know how much it will cost?

ShelleyCowie
19-Sep-11, 16:28
The Gala fundraise all year, and there isnt a "watching fee" to attend the procession. All prices for activities during Gala week are advertised prior to the event.

Hogmanay is a choice, and most with young children dont go out.

Fireworks is an optional extra in my book, but this is what I want to do - budget for it, but how can I budget if I dont know how much it will cost?

Your right! If they would give us a price, at least then i can set aside money (as dadie said for wee novelty things and chips too)

Niall Fernie
19-Sep-11, 17:15
Locking this thread as it seems to have got out of hand.