PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else got experience with a baby developing "flat head syndrome"?

GuitarHero
18-Sep-11, 18:29
My sisters baby is about 7 months old and has started to develop a big flat spot on the back of her head and my sister is getting worried about it especially with possibility of it not going away and then the bairn being teased about it at school for example. I read that flat head syndrome is becoming really common since "putting the baby on their back to sleep" is the new thing to be done now. I don't know much else about flat head syndrome and my sister says her health visitor has been little to no help for her about it so has anyone on here had experience with a baby with flat head? Did it go away itself or was there a treatment involved to round out the head? Any help or advice would be good thanks as sisters really worried.

beetlecrusher
18-Sep-11, 18:49
Babies with flat heads are very common now - sometimes flat at the back and sometimes on either side. It is as a result of babies spending too much time on their backs and not having enough "tummy time". Babies also spend alot of time in car seats - long after they've been removed from the car. Babies skull bones are very soft and very quickly mould into a shape if in a position for too long.

The recommendation about putting babies to sleep on their backs is not a new thing - it's been that way for around 20 years or so, to prevent cot death.

The jury is out on treatment for this - there is no evidence to show that anything would help. In fact, once the baby's hair has grown it is likely that you wouldn't even see it.

Your sister really should speak to a health visitor about this - just for reassurance if nothing else.

kgs
18-Sep-11, 19:14
have a look at this link, you might find it a help

https://www.thebabycatalogue.com/products/health/lovenest-baby-head-pillow/K0243YELLOW/

candycanegirl
18-Sep-11, 19:19
Hi there- my son started to develop this at 3 weeks. The health visitor was very useful on this and suggested making a 'doughnut' out of a small thin towel which to rest their head on. She also suggested taking him to a baby cranial osteopath in inverness (works out of fairfield medical practise) for 3 sessions-this helped enormously with his head and also temperament etc. If your sisters baby is 7 months old now, I don't know how much help she'll be as by that stage they are holding their own heads and turning in their sleep etc, but worth a try.

kerry9316
18-Sep-11, 19:52
Hi

Just to reassure you as I dont know any medical information etc but 3 out of my 4 children had/have this, the other one didnt as he was in special care and they ironically sleep them on their front despite the advice we get as new mums and I can reassure you that the 2 older ones who are 11 and 7 you would not even know like the other post said once theyre older with longer hair etc you cant even notice it, it sort of evens itself out. Plus my eldests is a boy and has had his hair very short on occasions and you wouldnt have noticed! Soon enough they will be sleeping all sorts of wierd positions that you wouldnt be able to control how long they spent on their back anyway!

Hope it this helps :)

GuitarHero
18-Sep-11, 21:51
Thanks all for the advice will let her know, reassures me aswell. I think she was worried because there has been no improvement in months despite her keeping the baby off it's back a lot and being told that it would start to show improvement by now.

achingale
20-Sep-11, 13:01
I wouldn't worry too much about it but if in doubt the best person to ask is the health visitor.

JSutherland
20-Sep-11, 17:41
Hi my little girl had flat head syndrome at 4 months. The back of her head was totally flat, myself and my husband were also very worried about this and looked into everything regarding it. Eventually we were advised that it would run its course and it would correct itself. We started to sit her up more with a pillow or something behind her and let her lie on her side to sleep, as advised. This is now a very common problem due to the fact of lying them on there backs to sleep. My daughters head started to correct itself when she was approx 18 months.Hope this is of some help to you and your sister

orkneycadian
23-Sep-11, 23:55
Popping a table tennis ball that has gotten squashed and has a flat bit in it into very hot water usually fixes it. Might be worth a try....

Moira
24-Sep-11, 00:02
I think Orkney doesn't have an active online forum which is why "orkneycadian" is frustrated and needs to post this bile here.

Shame on him.

yorkshire lassie
24-Sep-11, 07:06
You can try chatting to this lady.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Phoebes-page-for-Plagiochephaly-Brachychephaly-and-Torticollis/126648410697449 (http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Phoebes-page-for-Plagiochephaly-Brachychephaly-and-Torticollis/126648410697449)

http://www.phoebespage.co.uk/home

She's not an expert but is a mother with experience.

squidge
24-Sep-11, 08:44
My sisters little girl had this and you can't tell now. She is 8. Now your baby is 7 months they will start to move around themselves in bed. Are you using a sleeping bag? If you are then it might be an idea not to. I think they restrict movement and stop little ones from turning over. The doughnut thing is worth a try too. If your baby uses a dummy then you maybe will feel more relaxed about putting baby to sleep on their side as their is some evidence that dummies help to prevent SIDS too. When your wee one naps during the day try putting them down on their side if you aren't too anxious. Mainly though don't worry.

Rheghead
24-Sep-11, 12:07
Don't worry about it so long as the wee one wants to turn over and crawl in the next few weeks then the flat will grow out.

GuitarHero
24-Sep-11, 22:02
Wow how classy, making sarcastic comments in a post about a baby...Put your own head in very hot water for a LONG time and shut the hole in your face at the same time you total idiot!