PDA

View Full Version : Gas and Electricity Prices

lindsaymcc
17-Sep-11, 15:49
Afternoon all!

Wondered if anyone would mind sharing their monthly gas and electric bills with me! We are a family of 5, currently on pre-payment meters, and I hate them! Would love to switch to monthly billing, but wondered if it was cost effective.

So, how much per month do you spend?

theone
17-Sep-11, 15:52
My bills wouldn't be comparable with yours but I'm pretty sure monthly direct debit deals are a lot better than those you get on pre-pay meters.

Commore
17-Sep-11, 16:04
Afternoon all!

Wondered if anyone would mind sharing their monthly gas and electric bills with me! We are a family of 5, currently on pre-payment meters, and I hate them! Would love to switch to monthly billing, but wondered if it was cost effective.

So, how much per month do you spend?

From past experience, pre-payment meters never give you value for monthly, as you are charged for the cost of the meter, the cost of the supply and any arrears you may have before they start charging you for the electricty you are using, in addition any time that you are not using power your card continues to run down as though you are, I was told after being away for a fortnight that the charge was for power that I would normally have used, and I was not entitled to a refund.
Of course this wa many years ago, their policies may have changed, however, I think that if you are on the grid, a running meter is essential and you have a choice of various methods in which to pay, weekly, fortnightly, monthly payment by book at the post office or electricity shop, etc.

My mother has a pre-payment meter and she is averaging £120 a month, give or take a little. She is on one of those schemes whereby she has her gas & electricty from one provider, hope this helps.

teddybear1873
17-Sep-11, 16:04
Too damn much. I live in a different country that needs air condition 7 months out the year. At the moment I'm paying $400 per month and in the winter, it's down to around $260 per month.

On top of that, I have to stick with one gas and electric company, there is no monopoly to choose from.

theone
17-Sep-11, 16:07
On top of that, I have to stick with one gas and electric company, there is no monopoly to choose from.

I think you've just given us the definition of a monopoly!

oldmarine
17-Sep-11, 16:15
Auto gas. Arizona & Tucson for quite a spell had the lowest price in the nation. The last time I read the news that was no longer true. Oh well! Roll with the punches!!!

lindsaymcc
17-Sep-11, 16:23
We currently pay £20 a week electric and £10 a week gas. So, depending on how many weeks in the month, it is quite expensive.

Im just worried that going into winter, the gas is going to double, at least, and with no outside drying of clothes, the electric will increase also.

Last winter we averaged £50 a week!

orkneycadian
17-Sep-11, 16:42
Between £50 and £70 a quarter on electricity and about 500 litres a year of oil for heating, hot water and cooking, so around about £300 a year for that depending what the oil price is like.

We no have gas here and peats and firewood are free!

Edited to add - Electricity on quarterly account - Paid cash at local Hydro Electric Shop. Oil billed after delivery, paid cheque.

lindsaymcc
17-Sep-11, 16:56
Just called British Gas - apparently those on meters dont pay any more than those on monthly DD for their gas or electric. The only way it is slightly cheaper is by having the reduction for paying by DD.

Looks like Ill just stay as I am, and review the consumption!

theone
17-Sep-11, 17:18
Just called British Gas - apparently those on meters dont pay any more than those on monthly DD for their gas or electric. The only way it is slightly cheaper is by having the reduction for paying by DD.

Going by their website a "typical" household pay £107 month on prepay, but £94 per month by direct debit. That's £156 a year more. Slightly cheaper?.......

sandyr1
17-Sep-11, 18:19
Unfortunately it seems we are all in the same boat. Our electricity prices are going up quite a bit due to....wait for it...Solar and wind generation!
I pay on equal billing, approx $60per month on elecricity and $125.00 per month for natural gas..Heating a 3 bed/ 2 bathhome....
Perhaps there is not a real comparison here as we get down to 30 below zero in the winter and 25+ in a few of the summer months, BUT we don't have the North of Scotland wind... Bloody wind!

Dialyser
18-Sep-11, 11:26
We are also a family of five. We pay £84 a month for electricity by DD and £140 a month for oil also DD.

weezer 316
18-Sep-11, 11:48
Just me and my little brother here (and my cat), 2 bedroom house. I pay £100 for month gas and electricity. Its probably about 50% more in wintert and 50% less in summer so it works ou even, roughly £1200 a year for fuel.

lindsaymcc
18-Sep-11, 11:54
Thanks all. Having read Tuggs thread about electricity too, I think I need to review consumption. The computer is on 24/7 when it doesnt need to be, and the TV seems to be on a lot too.

Need to look into one of those readers so I can see whats using the most!

weezer 316
18-Sep-11, 12:05
As a general rule, the bigger it is, the more electricity it uses (bar washing machine if its relativly modern). Tumble dryers, diswashers and electirc cookers are an absolte killer usually.

dragonfly
18-Sep-11, 12:12
we're gas and electric with british gas, similar house to yours, with an extra bedroom & garage converted to utility room, paying £80 for gas (cooking/heating/hot water) and £50 for electric a month but with me being a home worker now expect the consumption to rise significantly, even over the summer the heating was not off completely like normal. Clothes get dried on airers wherever possible as tumble dryer too heavy on consumption, never in that much of a rush for an article of clothing and if I am I shove it on a radiator in the morning. Laptop is on 18/7, but I do shut down overnight otherwise my editing programme runs slower.

Plan for winter is to wear more layers in the house and use one of the many throws I have lying around to keep warm, can't afford the gas to be on all day and night.

ShelleyCowie
18-Sep-11, 13:30
Family of 6, 3 bedroom house. The worst insulated house ever! But, we have Pentland Energy advisors doing an assessment on Tuesday to get us new insulation, check windows and doors to make sure they are sealed etc etc....you can do that Lindsay!

Our heating is £40 a month (gas) but we are always in credit, use it in winter, cancels out again etc etc. Then the leccy, we are £10 a week or there abouts. And i use my tumbly very regularly (every day for about an hour)

So maybe get in contact with Pentland housing, get them to refer you to their energy advisors. Our advisor has also said they will check our bills if we want to see where we can save. They will find the cheapest providers for us. :Razz

poppett
18-Sep-11, 16:47
Ormlie Heat checked out our fuel consumption and got us on energyplus with Scottish Hydro Electric for both gas and electricity. Discount for paying by direct debit monthly and another discount for dual fuel. Could not find anywhere cheaper even with the latest price increases.