PDA

View Full Version : Simple old mashed potato livened up

Kingetter
08-Oct-06, 19:29
When making mashed potato, add (to taste) a (generous?) measure of grain mustard - fairly enhances it and is so so simple.

sjr014
08-Oct-06, 20:21
Or add some butter and cheddar cheese.....mmmmm

Wish
08-Oct-06, 21:27
Or add some cooked shredded cabbage, or chives:cool:

Piglet
10-Oct-06, 15:27
or add some philadelphia :)

kids love it.

aileenmac
10-Oct-06, 19:20
or add some chopped onion and lots of pepper

connieb19
10-Oct-06, 19:26
Add some Shwartz garlic and herb seasoning..yummy!!

wifie
20-Oct-06, 14:34
Try using olive oil and some milk instead of butter and milk when making a creamy mash. Twist of black pepper too - superb!

recipe_hunter
22-Nov-06, 17:30
cook the potatoes in good quality vegetable stock for extra flavour (but don't add any extra salt for cooking as the stock will have plenty)

Saveman
15-Dec-06, 12:40
chopped up spring onions, butter and a wee droppy of milk........that's called "champ" as in the well known phrase: "that loon is thick as champ"

scotsboy
16-Dec-06, 18:53
Champ is class!!

sassylass
17-Dec-06, 18:30
mmmm I am champing at the bit for some of that mmmm

Tristan
20-Dec-06, 08:43
While boiling 4-6 tatties add one sweet potato. Makes a nice sunshine mash.

Saveman
20-Dec-06, 12:33
Champ is class!!

It certainly is....and can help to reduce calorie intake as part of a calorie controlled diet.....

dirdyweeker
20-Dec-06, 13:02
loved the 'champ' and 'mustard' tatties. Will be added to my favourites now. Thanks

emb123
31-Dec-06, 14:10
one of the supermarket freebie magazines a while back mentioned adding a small amount of a sharp tasting apple (i.e. bramley or granny smith) that has been cooked/microwaved.

Also a dash of lemon juice and some seasoning and herbs.

(A good spice list depending on what it's to go with might include marjoram, basil, oregano, parsely, ginger, clover, paprika, garlic granules etc).

Stumurf
04-Jan-07, 18:09
my favourite has always been cabbage (pretty much equal amount to potato), squeeze of lemon juice,, good crunch of black pepper, knob of butter and dollop of mayonaise....

then at the last moment some chopped spring onion, (or any onion really, i have also been known to put celery in when i am out or low on onion... its just for the texture)

my variation on the colcannon theme...