PDA

View Full Version : question for all you smart people

brandy
17-Sep-11, 00:59
ok, my 18 year old cousin had this question on a university test... and she and several other classmates missed it.. so did i..
but looking to see what you think the correct answer is and why.. will give you the correct answer tomorrow *G*
question: which of the following is a hypothesis?
a: MY cell phone is too old to function properly.
b: my cell phones not working
c: what is wrong with my cell phone
d; If my cell phone battery is dead and i recharge it, then my phone should work again.
e; my cell phone is dead.

choice the correct answer

shazzap
17-Sep-11, 01:18
D..........................

Leanne
17-Sep-11, 01:48
None of them is right. To have a hypothesis that you can prove to any significance you need a null hypothesis. The null would be that the phone is working properly and your aim is to disprove this.

What would be a better question is. Phone A is working - is phone B is performing the same as phone A?

Rheghead
17-Sep-11, 02:28
ok, my 18 year old cousin had this question on a university test... and she and several other classmates missed it.. so did i..
but looking to see what you think the correct answer is and why.. will give you the correct answer tomorrow *G*
question: which of the following is a hypothesis?
a: MY cell phone is too old to function properly. Is a hypothesis because it sets an explanation due to specified conditions
b: my cell phones not working Just states a phenomenon
c: what is wrong with my cell phone Is a question
d; If my cell phone battery is dead and i recharge it, then my phone should work again. Is a set of instructions to get the battery functioning again, it doesn't explain why the battery is dead
e; my cell phone is dead. same a b

choice the correct answer

A hypothesis is a proposal to explain why something happens due to a set of conditions and only A does this. The phone is not functioning properly, this is the condition, the phone is too old is the proposed explanation.

chordie
17-Sep-11, 03:52
ok, my 18 year old cousin had this question on a university test... and she and several other classmates missed it..

I hypothesis that you are getting other people to do your cousin's university work for them because they can't be bothered to do it themselves.

Kevin Milkins
17-Sep-11, 08:10
I'm not a smart person and wouldn't know what a hypothesis is, however, I do try to be helpful whenever I can and the only practical advice that I could offer is to get your cousin to give these people a call.

www.mazumamobile.com ;)

Walter Ego
17-Sep-11, 08:37
I'm with Reg on this.

'A'.

orkneycadian
17-Sep-11, 09:10
I hypothesis that you are getting other people to do your cousin's university work for them because they can't be bothered to do it themselves.

C'mon Chordie, how else are all the young 'uns gonna maintain the ever increasing levels of exam passes?

Gronnuck
17-Sep-11, 09:14
The question mentions a 'cell-phone' which is an American description of what we in Britain call a mobile phone. So I'm going to assume that the question is set in American-English and we all know that they (North Americans) speak a very different English to us.;).

theone
17-Sep-11, 09:16
A hypothesis is a proposal to explain why something happens due to a set of conditions and only A does this. The phone is not functioning properly, this is the condition, the phone is too old is the proposed explanation.

I would go with that.

orkneycadian
17-Sep-11, 09:19
Renald could buy it?

Torvaig
17-Sep-11, 09:25
I don't think any of them are.....:eek:

Corrie 3
17-Sep-11, 09:30
b) should be.......... "My cell phone is not working.

C3...........:roll:

Kells
17-Sep-11, 10:31
D As being an unproven assumption.

Beat Bug
17-Sep-11, 10:35
According to the dictionary, a hypothesis is: 'A proposition assumed for the purpose of argument'. So I think 'D' is the closest, as A, B & E are statements, and C is a question. Where do I go to collect my degree?!

brandy
17-Sep-11, 11:25
she has already had the test of which she passed, but it peeved her about this one question as she and several other students are disputing the correct answer. she did not at any time ask for help, i just thought it would be interesting to see what answers others came up with as well.

joxville
17-Sep-11, 11:42
My answer is D, but given we are talking about stupid Americans here, they probably don't even possess a phone. [lol]

RecQuery
17-Sep-11, 11:48
If a hypothesis does not generate any observational tests, there is nothing that a scientist can do with it. The only one with a test is D therefore the answer is D. If she really wants a full explanation and analysis I can go into detail.

EDIT: To clarify the only possible correct answers are A and D, however while both A and D can be tested, A is not falsifiable. If the phone fuctions correctly it's possible that it's still too old (battery life, condition of the casing etc)

shazzap
17-Sep-11, 11:50
she has already had the test of which she passed, but it peeved her about this one question as she and several other students are disputing the correct answer. she did not at any time ask for help, i just thought it would be interesting to see what answers others came up with as well.

So what was her answer, Brandy.:)

brandy
17-Sep-11, 11:52
she answered D but it was not the correct answer.. the evidently correct answer was E

shazzap
17-Sep-11, 11:54
I would have to agree with her.

RecQuery
17-Sep-11, 12:03
she answered D but it was not the correct answer.. the evidently correct answer was E

Okay that makes no sense. Did she ask for clarification or reasoning? Is she doing some humanities related course?

What makes a statement a scientific hypothesis, rather than just an interesting speculation is that a scientific hypothesis must meet 2 requirements: A scientific hypothesis must be testable, and; A scientific hypothesis must be falsifiable.

Torvaig
17-Sep-11, 12:04
My answer is D, but given we are talking about stupid Americans here, they probably don't even possess a phone. [lol]

That is just plain rude Jox; go to jail!

brandy
17-Sep-11, 12:19
from what i understand its her biology teacher, and it was a question on a test they took.
she did ask in passing but he just said the answer was wrong and the correct one was E
she did say another classmate is sending him an email to query the question but it sounds like the teacher is going by a standard .. q and a sheet and isnt bothered. i hope that they can get a full answer from him though..

ducati
17-Sep-11, 12:29
Ah, so, not so smart people, even ReQuery, who is the smartest person he knows. [lol]

RecQuery
17-Sep-11, 12:39
Ah, so, not so smart people, even ReQuery, who is the smartest person he knows. [lol]

*Yawn*

from what i understand its her biology teacher, and it was a question on a test they took.
she did ask in passing but he just said the answer was wrong and the correct one was E
she did say another classmate is sending him an email to query the question but it sounds like the teacher is going by a standard .. q and a sheet and isnt bothered. i hope that they can get a full answer from him though..

Yeah that was my second guess, it's easy for a D to become an E, the keys are close together, the correct answer was just above it etc. Even though she and others have probably passed while getting that questions wrong they still should query it, for someone else it could mean the difference between passing and failing or mess up their understanding of what a hypothesis is.

brandy
17-Sep-11, 13:17
it would take her grade from a b to an A i think but dont quote me on that one.. not sure..
but i find it hard to see how e is the answer as its just a statement of fact. the phone is dead.. not an idea of why the phone is dead.
so think they should query it.

secrets in symmetry
17-Sep-11, 13:21
I can see why the answer is given as "e".

The statement that the phone is dead is a supposition, not (i.e. not necessarily) a statement of fact, and that's all that's needed.

I don't think it's a very good question though.

chordie
17-Sep-11, 13:25
from what i understand its her biology teacher

Since when has America allowed biology to be taught - I thought there were all ignorant creationists and had banned that sort stuff ?

theone
17-Sep-11, 13:27
it would take her grade from a b to an A i think but dont quote me on that one.. not sure..
but i find it hard to see how e is the answer as its just a statement of fact. the phone is dead.. not an idea of why the phone is dead.
so think they should query it.

I can't understand how 'B' is not one if 'E' is. (apart from the spelling/grammar)

I always thought a hypothesis was a theory to explain an observation. It might be right, wrong, or even impossible to prove.

I think the original question was better suited to a debating or philosophy class than biology!

shazzap
17-Sep-11, 13:34
I thought it meant.
If i do this-----------------Then this will happen.
Or if
This is done---------------Then this will be the outcome.
If you know what i mean.

Example, not a very good one i know.
If i put sugar on my food------------------It will sweeten it.

secrets in symmetry
17-Sep-11, 13:41
I always thought a hypothesis was a theory to explain an observation.No, a hypothesis is very definitely not a theory, possibly even by definition.

The statement that the phone's not working (i.e. b) is a statement of the owner's experience with the phone, he knows it's not working.

The statement that the phone is dead is a hypothesis because the owner doesn't know it's dead, he knows only that it's not working.

theone
17-Sep-11, 13:51
No, a hypothesis is very definitely not a theory, possibly even by definition.

The statement that the phone's not working (i.e. b) is a statement of the owner's experience with the phone, he knows it's not working.

The statement that the phone is dead is a hypothesis because the owner doesn't know it's dead, he knows only that it's not working.

Mmmm, now I am confused.

Surely his theory is that the phone is dead?

<EDIT - Sorry, a theory must be 'well tested'. OK, I'll change my original statement to "I always thought a hypothesis was a proposed explanation for an observation" >

theone
17-Sep-11, 13:53

And how do we know, that he doesn't know, it's dead?

secrets in symmetry
17-Sep-11, 14:06
We don't know that he doesn't know that it's dead, and we also don't know that he does know that it's dead, therefore, given the absence of further information, we can't make a definite statement either way.

The statement that the phone isn't working is different. There we do know that he knows that it isn't working (assuming he's telling the truth.)

Classical logic works with definite statements.

I still don't think it's a very good question, partly because of the point you make.

oldmarine
17-Sep-11, 16:00
It's all over my head so it looks like that all leaves me out of this one!

Torvaig
17-Sep-11, 16:37
It's all over my head so it looks like that all leaves me out of this one!

You're not alone Oldmarine; definitely (with 2 x i and not an a) not alone! :lol:

secrets in symmetry
17-Sep-11, 16:59
None of them is right. To have a hypothesis that you can prove to any significance you need a null hypothesis. The null would be that the phone is working properly and your aim is to disprove this.I suspect you are thinking of hypothesis testing in statistical inference, which is not quite the same as in Logic. However, Brandy says the question was from a Biology test, so you might be right in this case!

secrets in symmetry
17-Sep-11, 18:15
You're not alone Oldmarine; definitely (with 2 x i and not an a) not alone! :lol:
Torvaig, you definitely might like this. (http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/)

Torvaig
17-Sep-11, 19:58
Torvaig, you definitely might like this. (http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/)

I definitely did enjoy it! A particular bugbear of mine (not that I am a perfect linguist in any way) and some people even pronounce the word definately.... I would admit I am a pedant but some people could then think I am a paedo so I won't go there!

secrets in symmetry
17-Sep-11, 20:36
The offending word is often pronounced definettly in this area (with the emphasis on the ett) - especially by what feels like an infinette number of teenagers....

Dog-eared
17-Sep-11, 20:44
"The One " said " I always thought a hypothesis was a theory to explain an observation. It might be right, wrong, or even impossible to prove."
I'm with that.
Anyone read " A Hunting Hypothesis " by Robert Ardrey ?

secrets in symmetry
17-Sep-11, 20:47
Dog-eared, a hypothesis is an unproven postulate to explain an observation. A theory actually explains it.

Kells
17-Sep-11, 22:26
I agree with you SIS, this has bugged me all night. The statement was making the assumption of the phone being dead when it is simply not working.

sandyr1
17-Sep-11, 22:27

Cheezeeeeeee Jox....All Yanks...North Americans aren't stoooopid. Canada is North America and who were the 'Founding Fathers'....You lot! So they must have taken it over with them!

golach
17-Sep-11, 22:34
Cheezeeeeeee Jox....All Yanks...North Americans aren't stoooopid. Canada is North America and who were the 'Founding Fathers'....You lot! So they must have taken it over with them!
Oh Mr R, what have you done? Saying that Canadians are Americans, even I know never to do that, only two things worse Sandy, calling an Ozzie a Kiwi or vice versa, or calling me English [lol]

sandyr1
17-Sep-11, 22:57
Oh Mr R, what have you done? Saying that Canadians are Americans, even I know never to do that, only two things worse Sandy, calling an Ozzie a Kiwi or vice versa, or calling me English [lol]

Cheeses..... you are nearly in England!!! haha.
We in Canada are called North Americans! And we brought the 'stupidity with us . Guess from where??

golach
17-Sep-11, 23:05
Cheeses..... you are nearly in England!!! haha.
Me? nearly in England???? even if i lived in England I would still be a Scot, the only "North American" Canadians I ever met were the natives, not the white settlers such as yourself lol

sandyr1
17-Sep-11, 23:12
You win...in a sense...but we are North Americans...not Native Americans....I'm sure it is just a play on words/ America is the Continent methinks..Anyway I am glad you are on the ball!

canadagirl
18-Sep-11, 00:42
I have to ask the obvious- how can an inanimate object be "dead" ?

joxville
18-Sep-11, 01:09

Not 'You lot' Sandy, don't blame me, I wasn't born when the Founding Fathers went on a day trip to Calais and got lost. Nor do I class Canada as North American any more than I class Scotland as North British, (isn't there a North British hotel somewhere? I'm sure Golach could enlighten me).

I'm a Scot living in England, I've spent a good deal of my life here but I'll always be Scottish; heaven forbid I develop an English accent :eek:

sandyr1
18-Sep-11, 02:14
Not 'You lot' Sandy, don't blame me, I wasn't born when the Founding Fathers went on a day trip to Calais and got lost. Nor do I class Canada as North American any more than I class Scotland as North British, (isn't there a North British hotel somewhere? I'm sure Golach could enlighten me).

I'm a Scot living in England, I've spent a good deal of my life here but I'll always be Scottish; heaven forbid I develop an English accent :eek:

Actually Jox, they left from Ullapool..Loch Broom to come to the New Land.....I left from London Heathrow and landed in Canada in the 2nd 747 to land there.......

Of course in conjunction with other threads...The Queen's English is spoken just North of Inverness.....darn near Caithness I would say!!! And
I shall keep my 'slight' Scottish Accent .....The Queens English......Of course the English call Canada ...Canada(r). Am I correct.....I am sure I will get a reply.

And Mz Canadagirl....there is such a 'play on words' these days......how are things?? s

joxville
18-Sep-11, 02:29
Thanks Sandy, I was unaware of the Ullapool connection.

You're right about the English and their pronunciation, they do tend to add an 'r' on to words; my brother-in-law adds an 'r' to my niece's name, which is Paula. He is also fond of bananars. :)

I don't know if it's most of England or just a Southern England affliction, but certainly gives me cause for amusement at work when they tell me to speak English!

sandyr1
18-Sep-11, 02:40
But I have to say...The English arn't bad people!!! They gave me a couple of jobs when I was there.. Loved London/ a wee bitty different than Lybster......
Yes bananars.......too funny....

theone
18-Sep-11, 06:42
I have to ask the obvious- how can an inanimate object be "dead" ?

Exactly.

And how do we know that it wasn't working? Maybe he wasn't using it correctly.

I do believe SIS has given us the right reason for the answer, but again I think it's a question better suited to a debating class than a biology one!

golach
18-Sep-11, 12:32
Nor do I class Canada as North American any more than I class Scotland as North British, (isn't there a North British hotel somewhere? I'm sure Golach could enlighten me).

There used to be a major hotel in Edinburgh called the North British, built by the North British Railway Company in about 1833, that company develped the railways from Aberdeen, via Dundee, Edinburgh and Galashiels on to Berwick on Tweed where it joined up with the North Eastern Railway eventually becoming the GNER.
The NB hotel was renamed the Barmoral Hotel in the late 1980's a 5* establishment.
And Mr R, my reading of the history of your adopted country is that the first Europeans to delevlop Canada were the French from 1534 to 1763 and it was know to the French as New France, the Brits took over in 1763.

joxville
18-Sep-11, 13:03
Thanks Golach, I'm glad my just-home-from-the-pub brain wasn't too befuddled. :)

sandyr1
18-Sep-11, 15:00
And Mr R, my reading of the history of your adopted country is that the first Europeans to delevlop Canada were the French from 1534 to 1763 and it was know to the French as New France, the Brits took over in 1763.[/QUOTE]

Yes so true, but when they arrived they couldn't speak any English and to this day Quebec is quite ignorant about English, so we must have had the Brits teaching us/// joking really...
But the British North America Act was signed in 1867 and that is what formed our Constitution. See, here we go again with North America.
And then Quebec wanted to leave 'Canada' and nearly did some years ago, in fact it was rumoured that they either wanted to be on their own or join the United States.
We have a wonderful Country here but there is Always someone wanting to spoil a good thing.
I keep chuckling over the Bananers/ well done Jox for reminding me!

Bazeye
18-Sep-11, 15:16
What was the question again?

sandyr1
18-Sep-11, 15:32
What was the question again?

Yes you are correct/ we shud b in CHAT....

poppett
18-Sep-11, 16:43
I would have thought D was hypothetical, E is stating a fact.

sandyr1
18-Sep-11, 17:20
Perhaps those who said the language is a bit different are correct...I am not an 'American' but live in Canada and we, over the years, have taken on an American way of life and their ideas/slang etc., etc. And of course 'interpretation' is the key.

An example....Quite a number of years ago I wrote a 'test report' and by my knowledge I used the word 'Kerb' when describing the edge of the roadway.
As it was a test piece, I was advised that the proper word was 'Curb' which is used in the US....I challenged this, and yes I was correct according to the Oxford Dictionary, but one can win a battle but now win the war! When in Rome...we know the rest.

I would have said 'd' and those around me agree.....sometimes a matter of interpretation. Obviously it was a 'North American' question, thus the name Cell Phone which, really means that the signal is sent out by a Tower in a cell and as one moves the signal moves from Cell to Cell. Yes it is a Mobile, but that is a general description, whereas Cell is more definitive....Again my humble opinion.

Kells
18-Sep-11, 19:19
I would have thought D was hypothetical, E is stating a fact.

I struggled with that as well but the statement would have applied if it was said that the phone was not working instead of saying that it was dead. The assumption being made was that it was beyond repair. I could not see this until I read the explanation. lol

Bazeye
18-Sep-11, 20:05
When in Rome...we know the rest..

Unless you happen to live in Tower Hamlets, Luton, Longsight, Boston etc...etc...

secrets in symmetry
18-Sep-11, 22:22
I do believe SIS has given us the right reason for the answer, but again I think it's a question better suited to a debating class than a biology one!

I struggled with that as well but the statement would have applied if it was said that the phone was not working instead of saying that it was dead. The assumption being made was that it was beyond repair. I could not see this until I read the explanation. lolPhew, it's nice to see at least two people agreeing with my interpretation. Thanks, theone and Kells!

Kells
18-Sep-11, 23:09
Phew, it's nice to see at least two people agreeing with my interpretation. Thanks, theone and Kells!

Your welcome lol Looked at D again and would say now that it is a Supposition based on knowledge of the known facts. Therefore no assumption is being made and cannot be classed as an Hypothesis.

sandyr1
18-Sep-11, 23:15
I have been following this thread....The Q was North American, thus Dead meant only that the battery was flat....
What sayeth u?

Angel
18-Sep-11, 23:40
a: MY cell phone is too old to function properly. - So it works but cannot cope with the latest technology!
b: my cell phones not working - could be one of many reasons!
c: what is wrong with my cell phone - maybe its tuned to the American networking system!
d; If my cell phone battery is dead and i recharge it, then my phone should work again. Only if the battery comes back to 'life'!
e; my cell phone is dead. Be thankful it died in an instant and did not suffer. Because if it was the battery then you would have been aware of it getting weaker!
The person making any of these statements has been given no gender status!

Angel...

secrets in symmetry
19-Sep-11, 00:08
Your welcome lol Looked at D again and would say now that it is a Supposition based on knowledge of the known facts. Therefore no assumption is being made and cannot be classed as an Hypothesis.How long has it taken us to come to this conclusion? I hope the other questions were easier, or none of us would have passed the exam!

Rheghead
19-Sep-11, 01:15
Where is DrSzin when you need him? :confused

Kells
19-Sep-11, 01:42
I have been following this thread....The Q was North American, thus Dead meant only that the battery was flat....
What sayeth u?

D stated the battery was flat and could be recharged that was a supposition that the fault was known and could be dealt with. E simply states the phone was dead and that is a hypothetical conclusion, You referring to the battery being the cause is in itself is hypothetical as you do not know if the battery is flat.
Ah the simplicity of spelling and grammer mistakes. lol

Kells
19-Sep-11, 01:45
How long has it taken us to come to this conclusion? I hope the other questions were easier, or none of us would have passed the exam!

I wonder what level this test if for? one thing for sure I would not have passed that exam if all the questions were the same.

sandyr1
19-Sep-11, 02:36
d stated the battery was flat and could be recharged that was a supposition that the fault was known and could be dealt with. E simply states the phone was dead and that is a hypothetical conclusion, you referring to the battery being the cause is in itself is hypothetical as you do not know if the battery is flat.
Ah the simplicity of spelling and grammer mistakes. Lol

ty...........................................