PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Driver who never stopped at an accident

Mik.M.
16-Sep-11, 22:20
Thanks to the taxi driver (you git) who couldn`t be bothered to stop after my girlfriend had an accident on the Castletown to Wick road at the Quoybrae turning tonight. Luckily the people who were going towards Wick stopped to help her out,a big thank you to them and the 2 lads from the farm and the farmer who pulled her car out of the hedge. I hope the Taxi driver gets his Karma. I`d call him some names but we aren`t allowed to swear on here.

chordie
17-Sep-11, 03:58
Thanks to the taxi driver (you git) who couldn`t be bothered to stop after my girlfriend had an accident on the Castletown to Wick road at the Quoybrae turning tonight. Luckily the people who were going towards Wick stopped to help her out,a big thank you to them and the 2 lads from the farm and the farmer who pulled her car out of the hedge. I hope the Taxi driver gets his Karma. I`d call him some names but we aren`t allowed to swear on here.

As a road user I'd be more concerned about the driving behaviour of someone who ends up in a hedge rather than someone who drives on by.

upolian
17-Sep-11, 08:28
I'd be more concerned that she is ok!!

orkneycadian
17-Sep-11, 09:12
Given that taxi drivers don't even slow down at Give Way or Stop signs, asking them to stop at an accident is a pretty tall order....

oldmarine
17-Sep-11, 16:05
Perhaps it eventually will catch up with him.

Mik.M.
17-Sep-11, 16:49
Chordie,bog off,you don`t know the circumstances of the accident but seem to be one of The Org`s resident experts in everything.

chordie
17-Sep-11, 16:51
Chordie,bog off,you don`t know the circumstances of the accident

Enlighten us then. Perhaps that way we will be able to interpret whether it was the taxi driver or the little lady who was 'the git".

Gronnuck
17-Sep-11, 17:30

There could be any number of reasons why a driver didn't stop. If your girlfriend was on her feet and uninjured he might not have wanted to be involved. Sadly these days people are often hesitant to get involved in case there’s an accusation of inappropriate behavior or worse. You won’t know if the taxi driver called his dispatcher to get help. It's a sign of the times unfortunately but if I was on my own I would be very wary about helping anyone on their own, particularly a girl or a small child.
I hope your girlfriend is OK

chordie
17-Sep-11, 17:34
There could be any number of reasons why a driver didn't stop. If your girlfriend was on her feet and uninjured he might not have wanted to be involved. Sadly these days people are often hesitant to get involved in case there’s an accusation of inappropriate behavior or worse. You won’t know if the taxi driver called his dispatcher to get help. It's a sign of the times unfortunately but if I was on my own I would be very wary about helping anyone on their own, particularly a girl or a small child.
I hope your girlfriend is OK

Gronnuck - you're missing a key piece of information here as to what is behind all this. The guy has a personal grudge against the taxi driver.

Gronnuck
17-Sep-11, 17:39
Gronnuck - you're missing a key piece of information here as to what is behind all this. The guy has a personal grudge against the taxi driver.

Ooooo-er then maybe the taxi driver was justified - in case he got accused of something inappropriate. But I still hope the girl is OK.

Maccy
17-Sep-11, 17:46

How do you know all this. Unless you are the taxi driver in question.

The OP is clearly and quite rightly upset at the actions of this person.

Someone else will probably know better than me but I thought it was against the law if you did not stop at the seen of an accident.

celtic lass
17-Sep-11, 23:10
at least shes alright , but if you find out who or what firm NAME them , its not that when they are looking for a tip

Frith
18-Sep-11, 08:18
Its an offence to leave the scene of an accident, or doesn't the highway code apply in caithness.

northener
18-Sep-11, 08:25
Clarification: It is an offence to make off from the scene of an accident you are involved in without leaving details.

Simply witnessing an accident or driving past one doesn't count.

Mike, hope your lass is OK. Unfortunately, there's some ignorant arses out there.

theone
18-Sep-11, 08:28
Its an offence to leave the scene of an accident, or doesn't the highway code apply in caithness.

It is only an offence to leave the scene of an accident if you were involved in that accident.

You are well within your rights to drive past one you were not involved in.

Highway code rule 260.

Frith
18-Sep-11, 08:32
It is only an offence to leave the scene of an accident if you were involved in that accident.

You are well within your rights to drive past one you were not involved in.

Highway code rule 260.

So if the car in front of me leaves the road and bursts into flames, I can just drive off whistling? That's awful.

Gronnuck
18-Sep-11, 08:33

Road Traffic Act 1988 and Road Traffic Act 1991. If you and your vehicle are not directly involved in the incident/accident you have no obligation to stop and/or assist.
It can only be an offence if you and your vehicle were involved.

theone
18-Sep-11, 08:51
So if the car in front of me leaves the road and bursts into flames, I can just drive off whistling? That's awful.

But it's not illegal.

I think in Germany you have to provide assistance to somebody in need, but not here.

I actually remember reading somewhere that women travelling alone are discouraged from stopping to provide assistance.

billmoseley
18-Sep-11, 11:41
i'm pretty sure the highway code doesn't apply up here at times anyway judging by the way some people drive and surely if you witness an accident you always stop to check people are ok no matter what. it's only morally right.

Gronnuck
18-Sep-11, 12:07
surely if you witness an accident you always stop to check people are ok no matter what. it's only morally right.

It might be morally right in your view but that might not stop you becoming embroiled in a situation involving accusations of inappropriate behaviour and litigation.

ducati
18-Sep-11, 12:38
Nothing to stop you stopping and 'phoning the police. That's what mobile phones are for.

Droopy
18-Sep-11, 13:13

Could I ask what caused the accident?
And did the taxi driver witness the accident? and/or did he know that the people going to Wick had already stopped to help?

ShelleyCowie
18-Sep-11, 13:20
As a road user I'd be more concerned about the driving behaviour of someone who ends up in a hedge rather than someone who drives on by.

Thats just dam rude! Is there no such thing as an accident? [disgust] Stop acting an arse and get facts first!

ducati
18-Sep-11, 16:12
Thats just dam rude! Is there no such thing as an accident? [disgust] Stop acting an arse and get facts first!

It is rude Shelley, but no, road accidents are always someone's fault.

kgs
18-Sep-11, 18:49
FACTS
Driver left the road (cannot comment on exact reason why, it was dark and distance did not allow me to clearly see the cause), car travelling immediately behind it carried on driving without stopping. Car was off the road, driver still inside, engine on, lights on, no sign of movement.

NickInTheNorth
18-Sep-11, 18:57
FACTS
Driver left the road (cannot comment on exact reason why, it was dark and distance did not allow me to clearly see the cause), car travelling immediately behind it carried on driving without stopping. Car was off the road, driver still inside, engine on, lights on, no sign of movement.

and you can supply FACTS because...

kgs
18-Sep-11, 18:58
I was the one who did stop!

Doreen
18-Sep-11, 19:42
I was the one who did stop!Well done KGS i would have done the same it does not cost anything to help someone in trouble.

Bazeye
18-Sep-11, 20:19
If that had have been me in the taxi, I wouldnt have tipped him.

Doreen
18-Sep-11, 20:31
If that had have been me in the taxi, I wouldnt have tipped him.Dont you think thats a bit rash saying that what sort of person says that it could have been serious sorry think your sad. slate me all you want i dont mind think your trying to wind up people on here especialy the thread about flat head syndrome get a life .

Droopy
18-Sep-11, 21:22
FACTS

Was the lady turning off the road when she crashed, or did she come off the road on the straight at the Quoybrae turn-off?

Koi
19-Sep-11, 00:38
i'm pretty sure the highway code doesn't apply up here at times anyway judging by the way some people drive and surely if you witness an accident you always stop to check people are ok no matter what. it's only morally right.

Has anyone also thought that perhaps the taxi driver was on the way to a job? She/He's getting paid to drive and needs to get to his/her customer on time otherwise he/she loses out on money. He/she properly felt bad about not stopping but time is money. How do you know that she/he didn't phone the police and report it?

Kells
19-Sep-11, 18:29
Has anyone also thought that perhaps the taxi driver was on the way to a job? She/He's getting paid to drive and needs to get to his/her customer on time otherwise he/she loses out on money. He/she properly felt bad about not stopping but time is money. How do you know that she/he didn't phone the police and report it?

Time might be money but money can be replaced a life when gone is gone forever.

stiggy
19-Sep-11, 18:52

How can you say Mik M has a personal grudge against the taxi driver when he doesn't say who it was. Didn't realise you were Psychic Chordie

stiggy
19-Sep-11, 18:59
It is rude Shelley, but no, road accidents are always someone's fault.

How can you say a road accident is always someone's fault. So a greasy road surface that someone slides on at 8 miles an hour going round a corner and totals the car who's fault is that, is that the councils for not coming out and shampooing the road to remove the grease after a dry spell.

billmoseley
19-Sep-11, 19:09
maybe he was on his way to pick someone up but i still think he should have stopped. if i had been driving my bus and seen it i would have stopped and i'm passengers would have understood

domino
19-Sep-11, 20:19
Being a Good Samaritan, and in some countries it is a written and unwritten rule, can get one in a lot of bother. Think carefully before rushing in

sids
19-Sep-11, 20:27
I'm dying to hear what the "inappropriate behaviour" with accident victims actually is.

toffee_pie
19-Sep-11, 20:34
taxi driver was not at the 'scene' of an accident, he merely passed by.

he was under no obligation to stop at all.

ducati
21-Sep-11, 01:37
How can you say a road accident is always someone's fault. So a greasy road surface that someone slides on at 8 miles an hour going round a corner and totals the car who's fault is that, is that the councils for not coming out and shampooing the road to remove the grease after a dry spell.

Sorry, too fast for the conditions, lack of attention etc. (otherwise every single car would do the same thing, AND IF YOU CAME UPON A HUNDRED CRASHED CARS IT WOULD CERTAINLY GIVE YOU PAUSE :lol:) There is no scenario you can come up with that isn't someone's fault...I challenge you.

Bazeye
21-Sep-11, 01:41
Dont you think thats a bit rash saying that what sort of person says that it could have been serious sorry think your sad. slate me all you want i dont mind think your trying to wind up people on here especialy the thread about flat head syndrome get a life .

And breathe.......

linnie612
21-Sep-11, 21:18

An accident is just that. Not an 'on purpose.'

Walter Ego
21-Sep-11, 21:28

I'd say that in most cases, the crash could have been avoided had someone taken a more appropriate course of action....... and coming off the road at "8mph" after a dry spell? Don't make me laugh.

Bazeye
22-Sep-11, 00:45
What about a deer or some other creature jumping out in front of you. Is that the deers fault? Assuming of course the deer is in a place where there arent usually any, so no warning signs.

ducati
22-Sep-11, 07:30
What about a deer or some other creature jumping out in front of you. Is that the deers fault? Assuming of course the deer is in a place where there arent usually any, so no warning signs.

No its your fault. Here is a rule of thumb. Never go faster than you can stop in the distance you can see. Simple rule and if adhered to and attention paid then there would be very few 'Accidents'. As for the deer you have to think. If you are driving past a wood at night whether there are signs or not, there will be deer.

ducati
22-Sep-11, 07:41
An accident is just that. Not an 'on purpose.'

Don't take my word for it, just ask a traffic cop or a driving instructor.

If you take fatalistic view of accidents "well they just happen" then you absolve yourself of the responsibility to avoid them.

Corrie 3
22-Sep-11, 08:48
Don't take my word for it, just ask a traffic cop or a driving instructor.

If you take fatalistic view of accidents "well they just happen" then you absolve yourself of the responsibility to avoid them.
Very true Duke, it's surprising how many drivers actually blame the car for the accident...ie, "The tyres lost grip as I was going round the bend"!!!...."The brakes didn't respond in time"
Accidents dont just happen, they are caused by human failings!!

C3..............:eek::roll: