View Full Version : Caithness Des Res for £200k

chordie
16-Sep-11, 18:03
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-14933561

Any takers ?

Gronnuck
16-Sep-11, 18:18
Any takers ?

You've got to be jokling! A new owner would be caught up in 'red tape' and 'advice' from Highland Council Planning Department, Historic Scotland and every jobsworth in between. It just wouldn't be worth the aggravation.

Corrie 3
16-Sep-11, 18:30
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-14933561

Any takers ?
£20k and I might just be interested....£200,000.......what an inflated price for a slum!!!!

C3.............:eek::roll:;)

Leanne
16-Sep-11, 18:31
It's not the last inhabited thatched property in caithness - there's one near Lybster :)

Bazeye
16-Sep-11, 20:26
It'd make a good den.

ducati
16-Sep-11, 21:03
Does anyone know why thatch went out of favour in Caithness? It seems to be making a comeback elsware in the UK with many new selfbuild properties being thatched.

Rheghead
16-Sep-11, 21:20
Does anyone know why thatch went out of favour in Caithness? It seems to be making a comeback elsware in the UK with many new selfbuild properties being thatched.

I don't know for certain but I would think it is down to economics. For an area to support a full-time thatcher it would require a critical mass of core work but then came Dounreay and the migration into the atomics and then the dreaded kit housing became the vernacular style of the countryside. The longhouse became the byre and a bit of old corrugated sheeting was good enough for the contents. :)

ducati
16-Sep-11, 21:26
I don't know for certain but I would think it is down to economics. For an area to support a full-time thatcher it would require a critical mass of core work but then came Dounreay and the migration into the atomics and then the dreaded kit housing became the vernacular style of the countryside. The longhouse became the byre and a bit of old corrugated sheeting was good enough for the contents. :)

Its a shame, its very efficient and sustainable. The problem they have down south is they can't get enough Water Reed that is grown (I think) in Norfolk and are having to ship it in from eastern Europe

Dadie
16-Sep-11, 21:33
From the look of the roof at the moment, it would need mowed......
And how much work would need done to the place??
It would make a novel holiday let...but they are asking silly money for the place as it stands(just)!

Rheghead
16-Sep-11, 21:35
Yes it is a shame. There is a different attitude down in places such as Dorset where thatched roofs seem to be the norm rather than the exception. They will all have preservation orders on them I'd imagine in order to preserve the character of the area.

Such thoughts would have escaped the pragmatism of the Caithness Council back in the 1950s and 1960s where probably anything modern was the thing to have given the huge social impact that Dounreay was having on the mindset of Caithnessians and the economy.