PDA

View Full Version : Robin Hood

brokencross
08-Oct-06, 13:11
Just wondering if anyone watched the new series of Robin Hood on BBC1 last night and what they thought of it.

I enjoyed it, a little bit of lightsome, inoffensive TV for early on a Saturday evening. Nothing like other depictions of RH but who cares.

mccaugm
08-Oct-06, 15:32
I watched it as well, and like you say it was light entertainment for the whole family. Something that is sorely lacking on T.V. these days.

Have to say I loved the original series with Michael Praed (swoon) and Jason Connery (double swoon). Think it was on late eighties early nineties.

Hubby thought it was the film that was coming on and I don't think he could stomach the theme tune.:cool:

golach
08-Oct-06, 15:36
Just wondering if anyone watched the new series of Robin Hood on BBC1 last night and what they thought of it.

I enjoyed it, a little bit of lightsome, inoffensive TV for early on a Saturday evening. Nothing like other depictions of RH but who cares.

I thought the production was good entertainment, Action, Humour and a storyline we all know. A perfect tea time show.

sapphire
08-Oct-06, 15:52
I watched it and enjoyed it!

And isn't the guy who plays Robin cute or what? ;)

PS Don't tell my better half I said so!!! [lol]

obiron
08-Oct-06, 19:16
i really liked it. missed ant and dec so i could watch it. the guy who plays robin is yum. looking forward to next sat nite

loo-b-loo
08-Oct-06, 21:17
[quote=mccaugm;144026] Have to say I loved the original series with Michael Praed (swoon) and Jason Connery (double swoon). Think it was on late eighties early nineties.

I thought it was great but you can't beat Michael Praed - i agree with you totally with the swoon factor... Yummy!!;)

sweetpea
09-Oct-06, 01:44
I missed it but heard good reports going to watch it next week. Who plays robin?

brokencross
09-Oct-06, 07:01
sweetpea, the first episode was repeated last night on BBC3, never fear it is repeated again this coming Friday on BBC3 at 2100, so it will give you a chance to catch up before Ep.2.

loo-b-loo
09-Oct-06, 09:25
The only comment that I would make that althought Robin was cute I didn't feel he was quite "manly" enough - possibly a bit too young. What a shame they got rid of Tuck as well - he always adds a bit of humour!

percy toboggan
09-Oct-06, 17:04
So, why no Friar Tuck? Is it because he was Christian, or fat? or maybe both!
Our heritage and legends are being re-written. Although at least an acknowledgement that Robin had been killing 'the Turks' for the last four years was muttered.

Wenches with mascara , perfect teeth etc. did little for any pretence of realism. Robin and his sidekick didn't look as though they's last five minutes against any hardened enemy - a pair of soft looking lads both way too young. Apart from all this negativity it was allright, and a pleasant distraction on a saturday evening, so pleasant in fact I feel asleep halfway through.
Good hokum for kids though, but my Robin is monochrome - Richard Greene c.1950's.

Tiger Jones
09-Oct-06, 17:20
I enjoyed it and gave myself up to the ripping yarn but had a wee cringe when Robin shot the last two hangman ropes with two arrows in a single shot. A bigger cringe when he chucked the sword (from about 2 miles away) at the two guards holding Much and clattered both heads with it. He must have learned some neat tricks abroad LOL

Although Richard Greene was good, my favourite Robin is the one in Shrek :cool:

sapphire
09-Oct-06, 17:28
Lets not loose sight of the fact that this is a little bit of fantasy made for 'families' to enjoy on a Saturday evening.It is not a great retelling of a 'Classic' masterpiece....Just a little fun!

Oh by the way my personal favourite Robin is and always will be Errol Flynn.
But the new guy...if only I was 10.......ok 20..........alright 25 years younger!!

Now I'm off to lie down in a darkened room cos' Ive just depressed myself![lol]

percy toboggan
09-Oct-06, 19:07
Lets not loose sight of the fact that this is a little bit of fantasy made for 'families' to enjoy on a Saturday evening.It is not a great retelling of a 'Classic' masterpiece....Just a little fun!

I understand where you are coming from sapphire, but have we dumbed down so much as a society that 'classic masterpieces' cannot be faithfully re-told & screened as 'fun' for all the family?

sapphire
09-Oct-06, 19:14
I understand where you are coming from sppahire, but have we dumbed down so much as a society that 'classic masterpieces' cannot be faithfully re-told & screened as 'fun' for all the family?

Of course they can,but most 'Classics' are fairly heavy going and would take a bit of rewriting and even tongue in cheek to make them attractive to a Saturday night audience. :D