PDA

View Full Version : Wick Christmas Lights

robin_1991
21-Nov-04, 18:04
I just want to say that im glad that the Christmas lights in Wick are much better than last years.

KitKat
21-Nov-04, 18:56
Yeah, a lot of hard work was put in getting them ready by a team of UNPAID volunteers, and this morning in alll that rain another band of unsung heroes put them up. By now I expect there are a few carping about the lights that don't work. Well they will be fixed, but these people have jobs to go to so have to do all this in their spare time. Please be patient!!

Ps Thanks Moarag and co from the team for the coffee, butties etc to warm the volunteers on such a cold day.

Fran
22-Nov-04, 02:54
:lol: Well done to all the volunteers who have brought joy to the wick people by putting up the Christmas lights, thankyou to them all. there are some new ones too, it looks lovely. I was told, and misinformed, that Wick wasnt getting lights this year. If it wsnt for the volunteers maybe we would have been without lights, so thankyou again. :lol:

JAWS
22-Nov-04, 20:30
I too thought the Council put the Lights up but once again I find out that it is left for public minded individuals to do it for them in order to "Promote" the Town.
Like the new ones!

But it does beg the question, "Just what do the Councils do to promote anything in Caithness?" Does anybody know?

SPECKLED HEN
22-Nov-04, 20:55
eh christmas lights are far better this year but would they no have looked better if they had put a flashing one at each end rather than both in the same place :lol:

KitKat
22-Nov-04, 21:51
Well Speckled Hen, come and volunteer your services next year and then you can have your say......

robin_1991
23-Nov-04, 18:42
When are they supposed to be putting this blanket of lights up??

KitKat
23-Nov-04, 22:41
Jaws

The hanging baskets and flower troughs in summer, the Christmas lights in winter and the town events on Saturdays are all organised by volunteers. In fact, if the council provide any services these committees are CHARGED for them. I may be wrong but I think it cost a few thousand pounds to get the council gardeners to water the baskets this year. I must stress this is not the fault of the local gardeners who do a wonderful job, but their paymasters in Inverness. If the local committees block off the streets to hold an event, the council charges for this too!

Our local officials do try to help but often their hands are tied by Highland Council officialdom.

Now you thought your council tax covered everything.........

JAWS
24-Nov-04, 00:07
No, I thought that might be the case.

I take it the same didn't apply before the Highland Con-men (OOPS, Sorry) Council got their hands on it!

LENSMAN
24-Nov-04, 23:10
Why are the Christmas Lights in Thurso paid for and looked after by the council but Wick has to do it themselves.

girnigoe
25-Nov-04, 00:21
Well I must say that Wick lights look a lot better than last years lights by far.

Though still not a piece on Thursos. Why is there such a big difference between the two? Do they come from a different budget? Also as Robin_1991 says what about this "ceiling of lights" that was supposed to be happening in the precinct area??

Chick
25-Nov-04, 12:02
Yea are we getting the ceiling i lights in e street??????? does any1 no?????? if we are they will have to do it soon as the funday is on sat!!!!!!!! xxxxxx

wick_boy
25-Nov-04, 19:36
Some of the lights on the lamp posts either dont work properly or dont work at all. It was the same last year and the year before. When r they goin to get them fixed. I also want to say that when I was passing a house in Henrietta St (i think) there was a house all lit up with loads and loads of lights, It looked great.

LENSMAN
25-Nov-04, 22:35
Well wick boy, how would you like to become one of "they" who fix the lights?
It is not rocket science, if you can wire a plug you can fix a light.
I can assure you that all the lights were working when they left the workshop, they are only bulbs and can break easily.
Also Girnigoe the big difference between Wick and Thurso is the council funding, why I don' know.
I take it you both contributed handsomely to the fund raising events?
So instead of moaning why don't you volunteer to help like I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Godfather
26-Nov-04, 00:05
Why does Thurso's look far better than Wick's?
Nothing to do with volounteers, they do a great job. Thurso looks really pritty when you drive across the bridge and into the centre. Wick just looks like a run down old dump with some lights chucked in.

gravedigga
26-Nov-04, 00:21
Why does Thurso's look far better than Wick's?
Nothing to do with volounteers, they do a great job. Thurso looks really pritty when you drive across the bridge and into the centre. Wick just looks like a run down old dump with some lights chucked in.

Such a positive attitude :eek: NOT!

Why can't you just be grateful for what we've got?? I think they look nice twinkling along Bridge Street.

Viva Diva
26-Nov-04, 00:34
I was always under the impression that the new lights were paid for out of Thurso Town Improvements fundraising money like from the gala. I'm sure the Bridge lights were anyway. Could be wrong just what I heard.

Moira
26-Nov-04, 01:42
The lights are looking really good. I came into the town tonight after being away for a couple of days & I was well impressed - the new lights are lovely.

Just like a few more here I thought the Council paid for the upkeep & the putting up of the lights etc. I do remember "buying" a light a few years ago - it never worked for more than a day after being put up - but it is burning brightly tonight !! Well done the volunteers who see to all of this.

Is the Wick Community Council responsible for it all now then - Christmas Lights, Street Party, Hanging Baskets etc ?? Do we all need to dig deeper in our pockets to finance these things or does some of it come from the Highland Council. I would dearly love to know.

The Angel Of Death
26-Nov-04, 14:27
If the "BIG" switch on is tomorrow am i not right in thinking we seem to be missing a christmas tree ??? Or we was at half ten this morning

The Godfather
26-Nov-04, 19:11
Why can't you just be grateful for what we've got??

Yes, lets be greatful that the town is going down the tubes. Could be worse, we could live in Iraq.

I think it would look nice if they light up the Acadamy Braes like the trees in the centre of Thurso. Just an idea.

girnigoe
26-Nov-04, 19:19
The Christmas tree is going up as I type!! I noticed it about 10 minutes ago. Its a bit later going up this year.

Fran
27-Nov-04, 01:52
:eek: Why do they call it "the switching on " of the christmas lights ceremony when they have been on for a week already????????

girnigoe
27-Nov-04, 02:09
Yeah! I noticed that this year. The lights have been on since last Sunday! Why is that? The never used to be lit until fun day. :confused

LENSMAN
27-Nov-04, 15:03
Fran, please make up your mind.
Last week you were girning that the lights weren't up and on, this week your girning because they are and on,
What's it going to be???????????????
I suspect that the lights are fed from the same supply as the street lights so they go on at the same time.

KitKat
27-Nov-04, 15:11
The reason the tree is so late is because the one originally delivered was dreadful, a wee stumpy thing that you would be ashamed to have in your back yard let alone our town centre. The guy who ordered it thought there was nothing wrong with it and suggested that it was put on some sort of stand to make it taller!! The lady in charge of the Christmas lights committee refused (quite rightly) to accept second best for Wick and stood her ground. The upshot was a tree was delivered by The Forestry people, free of charge I believe, and the council gardeners gave their time for free to put it up. Now that's Community Spirit!
I think the lights are on because they plug into the street lights, and it may be they were plugged in for testing and left on but I honestly don't know.
Wouldn't it be great if every one of the complainers on this thread showed some community spirit too and went along to volunteer their services next year. Think how great the town would be next year!!

2little2late
27-Nov-04, 23:26
The reason the tree is so late is because the one originally delivered was dreadful, a wee stumpy thing that you would be ashamed to have in your back yard let alone our town centre. The guy who ordered it thought there was nothing wrong with it and suggested that it was put on some sort of stand to make it taller!! The lady in charge of the Christmas lights committee refused (quite rightly) to accept second best for Wick and stood her ground. The upshot was a tree was delivered by The Forestry people, free of charge I believe, and the council gardeners gave their time for free to put it up. Now that's Community Spirit!

Doesn't anybody ever think of using a tree from one of the many forests in Caithness.
SURELY THEY ARE THE BEST ONES TO USE.

Just can't get it right can they?
Before you say anything I don't live in Wick anymore so I couldn't volunteer to help

Fran
28-Nov-04, 03:56
:D If there is an award for community work, I think those to be put forward for it should be the volunteers who put up our christmas lights in wick.
If there is an award for the worst council at Christmastime, it should go to the caithnessCouncil (Wickside), for not doing the job themselves. After all what do we pay our taxes for.
I think these volunteers should be named and praised.

girnigoe
28-Nov-04, 04:42
Good on the volunteers!!!!!!!! I wish I had more time to devote!!!!!!! But I was under the impression thats what I paid my council tax for too!!!!!