PDA

View Full Version : This is.............

Commore
14-Sep-11, 12:46
This is B----Y ridiculous, when did Caithness or any other northern area become a seperate entity?
National should mean National and stories like this one http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Caithness-bus-pass-aid-bid-14092011.htm
really get my goat!

It is not bad enough that the hauliers, couriers and even the Royal Mail Parcel Force hold the northerners to ransom over costs of delivery, now our pensioners are being told they may not travel free on the buses!

If anything North of Inverness is to be considered as alien then surely the highland council could put something in place to compensate people for missing out on a "National level"?

Yet another council cop out!

I am seething,

RecQuery
14-Sep-11, 12:58
It's because we're a rural Scottish area, Scottish being the keyword there. I suppose all you can do is refuse to do business with such companies and complain to MPs.

starfish
14-Sep-11, 13:00
i have used crt on many occassion as part of my job. it was the only way of getting them from a to b , it may seem non important to some people to get your hair done or go for a coffee with a freind , but when you are stuck at home every day not seeing a sole some days this service really matter, coreen and her team work very hard to keep this service going. but some person that has every thing has put on block on the funding for this important service . wonder how they would manage with out transport and company for days on end i think they should try it then see what they think about this cut in service i agree with commore i to am annoyed to say the least

Duncansby
14-Sep-11, 13:34
Heck, when I first read your post Conmore I thought the bus pass was being withdrawn from Highlanders! However, after reading the Groat article I realise your comments are about the lack of public transport in the Highlands rather than our folk having their bus passes taken off them.

It's not a problem that is unique to the Highlands though, many rural areas all over the UK rely on community transport initiatives like CRT. Unfortunately, because of the change in funding and the drive for charities and similar organisations to become more sustainable, funding is harder and harder to get. But some organisations are always going to have to rely on some level of funding due to the nature of their activities - which are focused on delivering social benefits rather than economic ones.

Commore
14-Sep-11, 14:37
Well I still think our old aged pensioners have a rum deal.
These bus companies, the bigger companies could do more to help subsidise the smaller rural companies I think.

Bazeye
14-Sep-11, 18:09
These bus companies, the bigger companies could do more to help subsidise the smaller rural companies I think.

And eat into their profits, are you serious?

Commore
14-Sep-11, 18:22
And eat into their profits, are you serious?
Yes, they make enough in profits, they should be made to donate to smaller rural services, or provide services in rural areas, after all they too are subsidised aren't they,

Rheghead
14-Sep-11, 20:12
So Caithness Rural Transport have had their budget cut and as a result people won't get about like they used to do. Seems like this is a classic example where David Cameron's Big Society jumps to the rescue.

George Brims
14-Sep-11, 20:58
Cameron's Big Society seems to me a lot of hot air. It reminds me of the first President Bush and his "Thousand Points of Light". As Senator Barbara Boxer famously remarked during the LA riots, the points of light turned out to be fires.

Commore
15-Sep-11, 09:58
So Caithness Rural Transport have had their budget cut and as a result people won't get about like they used to do. Seems like this is a classic example where David Cameron's Big Society jumps to the rescue.
Cameron? god forbid.

RecQuery
15-Sep-11, 10:21
Perhaps people should protest at the Big Society Headquarters

http://i.imgur.com/fnyPd.jpg

weezer 316
15-Sep-11, 10:48
Get lost mate!! Companies arent here to subsidise you or me, or anyone! They aint charities. You dont have a god given right to have things which patently cost more money to supply up here at the same price.

Basic stuff guys.

weezer 316
15-Sep-11, 10:50
It's because we're a rural Scottish area, Scottish being the keyword there. I suppose all you can do is refuse to do business with such companies and complain to MPs.

Utter tosh. You know why it is. I dont know why you purport such nonsense, your not stupid.

RecQuery
15-Sep-11, 10:59
My rural Scotland comment was specifically about the cost of postage and delivery times up here I should probably have qualified that. As for subsidising stuff, lots of things are subsidised. People don't seem to care about subsidising cities but they throw a fit when rural areas want it.

theone
15-Sep-11, 11:07
My rural Scotland comment was specifically about the cost of postage and delivery times up here

We've been blessed in the past by a nationalised postage system, where price was the same, regardless of distance.

Spoiled is probably a better word.

A train ticket from Thurso to London costs more than a train ticket from Birmingham to London. Should they cost the same?

theone
15-Sep-11, 11:08
As for subsidising stuff, lots of things are subsidised.

But subsidies normally come from government.

I think what was suggested here is that the bus company should pay for the service out of its profit.

weezer 316
15-Sep-11, 11:55
Yes I wasnt happy at the point that the bus company should put its hand in its pocket to provide services here. They are a private company. If the council wishes to provide a subsidy, fine, but the company has every right to charge what is economical for it to provide the service. You choose to live her after all, no one forces you too.

Duncansby
15-Sep-11, 13:23
I agree with you Weerzer 316 no private company should be forced to subsidise community transport - that's for the local government and communities to sort out. But as Starfish points out community transport initiatives provide a valuable service to those who do not have access to private or public transport and we need to support these.

As you say no one is forced to live here but why should they be forced to leave due to a lack of transport? I belong to Caithness and I was 'forced' to leave to pursue a further education, I was 'exiled' in order to find work and now that I'm back in the Highlands I do not want to be 'forced' back to the city in my old age because I become a prisoner in my own home due to a lack of public or community transport.

weezer 316
15-Sep-11, 13:30
I agree with you Weerzer 316 no private company should be forced to subsidise community transport - that's for the local government and communities to sort out. But as Starfish points out community transport initiatives provide a valuable service to those who do not have access to private or public transport and we need to support these.

As you say no one is forced to live here but why should they be forced to leave due to a lack of transport? I belong to Caithness and I was 'forced' to leave to pursue a further education, I was 'exiled' in order to find work and now that I'm back in the Highlands I do not want to be 'forced' back to the city in my old age because I become a prisoner in my own home due to a lack of public or community transport.

Right well if thats the theme then no one forced you to seek higher education and no one forced you to wrk elsewhere. You chose too. Thats not real issue though. This issue is some things are not viable econmically up here and require additional help. You simply cannot expect or even hope that you will have world class higher education and jobs here no matter how much you might love living here. im sure you agree, and thats the point.

We should start a thread pointing out all the things we benefit from up here that the folk in cities dont have, like clean air, wonderful housing at half the cost, very low crime etc. Alot of it money literally cant buy, and like anything else in life there are pro's and cons.

Geo
15-Sep-11, 13:37
So is there still free travel on the main bus routes?

Duncansby
15-Sep-11, 13:41
I don't think we're disputing that extra help is required to provide services and the provision of such services are a lot more expensive in rural areas than they are in more populated ones. My point is though, that we need to look after our folk and it is unreasonable to suggest they have a choice. Yes in the logical sense they do, they could leave but why should the have too? And your right I did have a choice, I made that choice to leave but I didn't have to because l couldn't get the help I needed in order to survive.

You simply cannot expect or even hope that you will have world class higher education and jobs here.

Why not? What makes the Highlands and such things exclusive?

Duncansby
15-Sep-11, 13:42
So is there still free travel on the main bus routes?

Yes there is

Commore
15-Sep-11, 14:43
Right well if thats the theme then no one forced you to seek higher education and no one forced you to wrk elsewhere. You chose too. Thats not real issue though. This issue is some things are not viable econmically up here and require additional help. You simply cannot expect or even hope that you will have world class higher education and jobs here no matter how much you might love living here. im sure you agree, and thats the point.

We should start a thread pointing out all the things we benefit from up here that the folk in cities dont have, like clean air, wonderful housing at half the cost, very low crime etc. Alot of it money literally cant buy, and like anything else in life there are pro's and cons.

"This issue is some things are not viable econmically up here and require additional help."

My understanding of the above is this, the Scottish government have gone all out to promote the highlands and islands, they are and have been for a great many years worried about the depopulation statistics and have sought to make Caithness & Sutherland areas, a priority area by providing much needed funding to the highland council and other interested parties.
In my opinion, taking a much needed bus service off the road or removing it altogether is a crime especially where so many people depend on it.

I think that the council are just cutting costs where they can but the bus service is an essential service and I do not believe the council should cut corners here,
I think it is county wide disgrace, and they are in my opinion punishing those who are the most vulnerable people in our society.