PDA

View Full Version : "scam" calls!!! please be aware!!

angie.a
12-Sep-11, 21:34
I have had loads of calls from "foreign people" telling me they're from Windows Microsoft & that I have a problem with my computer, I know this is a scam & I have told them so, a friend of mine got taken in by this idiots the other day, luckily we were there at the time & my partner told her to switch off the computer immediately, she did & when he went back on too put a new antivirus programme on they were already in her personal files trying to get info. She immediately cancelled all bank cards & has since been in touch with the fraud squad in London who are trying to deal with these people.
I got another one of these calls today I told the "foreigner" that I knew what he was on & told him maybe not too politely to stop phoning & hung up the phone, the phone rang again immediately & when I answered it was the same guy, & in a horrible snarling voice called me a f*****g b*****d b***h gave me my address & postcode & told me he would kill me he then proceeded to call me the same names again & then hung up! I am gobsmacked there is such horrible people.
please be aware of these calls just hang up straight away or just dont answer at all if it comes up as an international number on your phone.

burstbucker
13-Sep-11, 09:12
I've had two of these calls in the past week. Best to hang up straight away. They are very convincing to start with and I can see how easy it is to be scammed by them.

pat
13-Sep-11, 09:24
Maybe its because I run a small business from home, get so many of these calls - pretend to not understand - they are giving me a computer, thank you have not got one of those as cannot afford it, when can it be delivered etc etc - soon gets rid of them but they are convincing.

The other ones I get are rogues sending invoices for advertising, goods provided etc demanding immediate payment by paypal (always a link to paypal so get your passwords too if you link to it and cannot understand why it is not working!!) - I know the companies I deal with and ignore anything else but there are a lot of chancers out there - all wanting your money and information.

I am tired of "I wish to book 7 rooms for 7 priests coming to visit your area, wish to transfer money for payment for all the costs etc" - do not even look at them now, straight in spam but have to check my spam carefully to ensure no genuine bookings are missed.

RecQuery
13-Sep-11, 09:45
Can we please sticky one of these scam call threads. Anyone of the fifteen in the last month would do.

Walter Ego
13-Sep-11, 10:18
There's a simple answer to all this:

Get a phone that displays the callers number - if it comes up with a number you don't recognise (eg:0800, 'witheld', 'international') then just ignore it and let it go onto answerphone. It works a treat, I don't waste my time talking to scammers or cold callers anymore.

rich62_uk
13-Sep-11, 14:18
Just had one on the phone with a very strong Indian accent called Aaron Smith ? I hung up.

Doreen
13-Sep-11, 14:20
Just had one to and hung up.

Duncansby
13-Sep-11, 17:49
I've been getting a few of the windows scam / PC Doctor one's lately - even got one at work this week!

billmoseley
13-Sep-11, 19:08
no one ever rings me :~(

oldmarine
13-Sep-11, 19:13
There's a simple answer to all this:

Get a phone that displays the callers number - if it comes up with a number you don't recognise (eg:0800, 'witheld', 'international') then just ignore it and let it go onto answerphone. It works a treat, I don't waste my time talking to scammers or cold callers anymore.
This one works for me. I also have an answering machine and let such calls go to my answering machine where I can decide whether to answer them or not. I usually choose to ignore such calls.

linnie612
14-Sep-11, 02:41
Can we please sticky one of these scam call threads. Anyone of the fifteen in the last month would do.

Might be a good idea. Scammers continually invent new - well - scams! Most people won't fall for the more obvious ones anymore but there will still be a few who will.

Walter Ego
14-Sep-11, 08:16
no one ever rings me :~(

Give us yer number, then.:Razz