PDA

View Full Version : Magic cures.

cuddlepop
07-Oct-06, 16:16
We.re suppose to be travelling down to my mothers today for the school break but I dont feel brilliant.Its like a cold but it feels like flu.Spent yesterday in bed so feel a little better today.We have to go down tomorrow or all hell will break lose.Daughter number1 skint and needs a loan:lol: Mum up to high dough acusing me of all sorts so...
Suggestions please,how do you shift this.Its doing its rounds :roll:

Kingetter
07-Oct-06, 16:20
Old recipe - sweat it out with hot toddy & paracetamol. Hot toddy might well contain some of that "good water" they improve on 'magically' in Skye and elsewhere, and include honey and lemon.
I use same formula but my water's from Islay.

sapphire
07-Oct-06, 16:24
We.re suppose to be travelling down to my mothers today for the school break but I dont feel brilliant.Its like a cold but it feels like flu.Spent yesterday in bed so feel a little better today.We have to go down tomorrow or all hell will break lose.Daughter number1 skint and needs a loan:lol: Mum up to high dough acusing me of all sorts so...
Suggestions please,how do you shift this.Its doing its rounds :roll:

I wish I could offer some advice and believe me if I had a magic cure I would be only too happy to share it.Unfortunately I am one of these people who works with the public and it seems that I am willing to accept whatever germs they throw at me, only for me to end up in a worse state than them!

Still I hope you feel better soon!!

henry20
07-Oct-06, 16:24
I would suggest a rum toddy with blackcurrant in it - I'm not a big fan of rum to be honest (give me vodka any day :lol:) but its worked for me in the past :)

Ann
07-Oct-06, 16:26
Go back to bed for another day or so and let the rest get on with it! After all, what is the point of spreading your bug around? ;)

Imagine, you'll be getting the whole house to yourself if hubby and kids go to Grannies! Slainthe :)

cuddlepop
07-Oct-06, 16:30
Problem Kingetter, I dont like whisky,somehow a gin toddy doesnt have the same effect:lol:
I work with the public too and as there's been a few of us off with it and i can guess where i picked this up.You'd thing that over the years working in hostels,schools,nursing homes and hospitals I'd have caught everything but know I still catch whats going round must be a welcome host:lol:

cuddlepop
07-Oct-06, 16:35
Anne,trust me I would gladly send the crew to grannys but I'd have to keep my dog Connie she goes everywhere with me,I'd be lost without her.
My mum would go into a serious huff if Connie didn't come down .You should have seen the petted lip last time i appeard with no dog:lol: The only reason she was left behind is that daughter number 1 was taking the kitchen sink with her to the halls (well it seemed like that)[lol]

Kingetter
07-Oct-06, 16:36
Problem Kingetter, I dont like whisky,somehow a gin toddy doesnt have the same effect:lol:
I work with the public too and as there's been a few of us off with it and i can guess where i picked this up.You'd thing that over the years working in hostels,schools,nursing homes and hospitals I'd have caught everything but know I still catch whats going round must be a welcome host:lol:
No whisky, but lost in the honey and lemon? No? Does the same apply to Brandy?

saffy100
07-Oct-06, 16:37
I don't like whisky either, but with honey and lemon in hot water, it's bearable....i have to say i have never come across anything better, take your toddy to bed and pile on the duvets....drink it as hot as poss and then sweat it out, give it a go.
Hope you feel better soon

saffy100

Billy Boy
07-Oct-06, 16:40
dont want to put a dampner on things cuddlepop, but i find that with these things you just have to let them run there course :(

cuddlepop
07-Oct-06, 16:40
Now that is drunk with babychame wonder if you heated that up with the honey and lemon would it taste weird.
Had a toddy made with Glayva and it was gorgeous.Expensive cure[lol]

Kingetter
07-Oct-06, 16:46
From Saffy -"I don't like whisky either, but with honey and lemon in hot water, it's bearable....i have to say i have never come across anything better, take your toddy to bed and pile on the duvets....drink it as hot as poss and then sweat it out, give it a go.
Hope you feel better soon"

I missed out the hot water of course, but yes just as Saffy says - and as hot as you can manage, but take it when you are in bed, not before!!
James.

cuddlepop
07-Oct-06, 17:12
In bed before a hangover now thats novel.:lol:
Mr Cp made me a curry that he swears will make me feel better,eat that then back to bed armed with my honey and lemon made with our very own Skye water.
Might send him out for a bottle of Glayva,mhhh remembering how lovely that tasted.:D

Kingetter
07-Oct-06, 17:16
All sounding good so far but add plenty of onions in your eats - I know yuckk to some, but no self-respecting cold germ seems to like onions.

cuddlepop
07-Oct-06, 17:45
The curry we've just eaten was a special Korma.The last time he tried to shift the cold from me it was a garlic chilli chicken phew was that hot.Found out later he actually put in a bulb of garlic not a few cloves.Cold syptoms gone but left with a dodgy tummy for a few days.
I know its my stress levels that are too high and should seriously do something about them but hey I'm a carer it goes with the territory.:)

Kingetter
07-Oct-06, 17:53
The curry we've just eaten was a special Korma.The last time he tried to shift the cold from me it was a garlic chilli chicken phew was that hot.Found out later he actually put in a bulb of garlic not a few cloves.Cold syptoms gone but left with a dodgy tummy for a few days.
I know its my stress levels that are too high and should seriously do something about them but hey I'm a carer it goes with the territory.:)
Hey! I'd generally rather have a poorly tum than a cold anyday - a cold is too much excuse for 'medicine':lol:

Liz
07-Oct-06, 18:00
Sorry you're not feeling well Cuddlepop.:(

I was advised by a Herbalist to make ginger tea for colds and/flu.
You put one teaspoon of ground ginger in a cup of boiling water and let it sit for five minutes and then strain.
Doesn't taste great though!

Also a mustard foot bath before bedtime can help.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

cuddlepop
07-Oct-06, 18:06
Thanks Liz,
A mustard foot bath sounds interesting,enlighten me please.:D
Kingetter I agree at least with a dodgy tummy your mobile,it was like an instant diet,didn't feel hungry for days.Mayde we should patent the recipe and market it as a slimming aid.[lol]

Liz
07-Oct-06, 18:23
Thanks Liz,
A mustard foot bath sounds interesting,enlighten me please.:D
Kingetter I agree at least with a dodgy tummy your mobile,it was like an instant diet,didn't feel hungry for days.Mayde we should patent the recipe and market it as a slimming aid.[lol]

To make a mustard foot bath put one tablespoon of mustard powder in a basin of hot water and soak your tootsies for about twenty minutes before bedtime.

You can have a bath with two or three tablespoons of mustard but don't think it would very nice!

Also if you have eucalyptus oil put it in a carrier oil and rub into your throat and chest. If you don't have eucalyptus try Olbas Oil or Vick.

cuddlepop
07-Oct-06, 18:32
Thanks Liz,Got one of those foot spa's for my Christmas but never used it.Must look it out for tonight.
All these granny cures must work as many a time I remember being given something disgusting by mine so never again did I complain I wasna well:lol:

Wish
08-Oct-06, 23:04
I hope you managed your trip and that your feeling a bit better now:)

I have had a viral infection too, sounds similar, started with sore throat and achey neck, headache, couldn't get out of bed for two days and now have a cough which hurts the top middle of my back when I cough and my chest, I got anti'bs from the Dr which he doesn't give out lightly, so it is a nasty bug thats going around! I couldn't have timed this much worse either, right in the middle of moving house!!

mccaugm
09-Oct-06, 11:45
I wish I could offer some advice and believe me if I had a magic cure I would be only too happy to share it.Unfortunately I am one of these people who works with the public and it seems that I am willing to accept whatever germs they throw at me, only for me to end up in a worse state than them!

Still I hope you feel better soon!!

I worked in an office with the philosphy that if you did not work you did not get paid. I know this seems a logical state of affairs... But, this meant that people came into work with the cold, flu and other various germs. In a warm office environment people just got sicker and sicker, sniffles etc bred like wildfire. No one could afford time off, so it took longer to get well again. If time off was taken you were given a severe reprimand and no pay. Welcome to the "Noughties".

sapphire
09-Oct-06, 14:57
I worked in an office with the philosphy that if you did not work you did not get paid. I know this seems a logical state of affairs... But, this meant that people came into work with the cold, flu and other various germs. In a warm office environment people just got sicker and sicker, sniffles etc bred like wildfire. No one could afford time off, so it took longer to get well again. If time off was taken you were given a severe reprimand and no pay. Welcome to the "Noughties".

Just about the same here!............Doesn't seem fair does it? [disgust]

Fran
10-Oct-06, 01:02
There is a virus doing its rounds just now, cold, hot, sweating,feel sick etc. Just keep warm and take paracetomol . your immune system must be low or are you stressed. Hope you are feeling better and will enjoy your stay away.