PDA

View Full Version : terror

highland red
11-Sep-11, 16:20
In this time to the terror attacks of 9/11 and the current crisis that is enduring in Libya. I would like to ask you very tolerant people a question.

Colonel Ghaddafi and the Libyan Government made financial reparations to The USA for the well reported terrorist action that cost all the lives on PanAm 103 and people of Lockerbie.

Whilst I applaud that decision and the spirit in which it was made, I have to ask the question: if Libya made those financial reparations for the funding of terrorism and they were accepted, should The USA not make the like reparations to the family members of members of The British Armed Forces that have been murdered and dreadfully wounded funded from well established sources within The USA?

I really don't see that there is any difference here.

theone
11-Sep-11, 16:31
I assume you're referring to the IRA?

I find it ironic that the city which experienced the biggest attacks of 9/11, those which started a "war on terror", was the same one that priovided the IRA with much of their money for years.

"Funding for the cause" used to be popular in New York. Nowadays terrorism isn't "cool", and isn't something that happens elsewhere. I think 9/11 had a bigger effect on ceasefires in Ulster than any negotiations or political agreements.

In respose to your question, I suppose the big difference there would be that the Lockerbie bombing was apparently state sanctioned, whereas IRA funding in the USA did not come directly from the government.

highland red
11-Sep-11, 16:50
It certainly wasn't just The IRA, but generally yes. Interesting that The US Government made pretty pathetic attempts to bring this to book. I'm not sure that doing nothing to stop this funding constitutes "State sponsorship". I get the impression these days that if you are not "for" The USA, the you are "against them".

It was very interesting to hear Dr Swire state this week that: (in spite of the pathetic furore that The Scottish Parliament endured) that "he was convinced that
Al-Megrahi (typo) was NOT responsible for the death of his daughter in the Lockerbie disaster.

theone
11-Sep-11, 17:00
I've no idea what made Dr Swire come to that opinion, or even if Megrahi was guilty.

But I do think the hero's welcome he got when he returned to Lybia speaks a thousand words.

Walter Ego
11-Sep-11, 17:09
I wouldn't read too much into Megrahis 'reception', it was stage managed. Megrahi hardly registers with Libyans on the whole.

Regarding the US attitude towards terrorism in Ireland, once they'd seen first hand exactly what it's like to be on the receiving end of a large-scale attack they decided that maybe they ought to review their naive idea that PIRA were some sort of romantic freedom fighters back in the 'old country'.

9/11 woke a lot of people up. I'm just surprised that the US had got away for so long without suffering some large-scale terrorist incident.......

Regarding financial reparations. No. It would re-ignite a lot of old tensions and accusations, best to move on.

golach
11-Sep-11, 17:10
Great Idea, take the US to task, whats wrong with claiming compensation closer to home, How about the Dail Eireann in Dublin? Not to mention all the fund raising in Irish pubs in the UK

theone
11-Sep-11, 17:14
Not to mention all the fund raising in Irish pubs in the UK

I wouldn't have believed that happened had I not seen it for myself in Glasgow.

mi16
11-Sep-11, 17:44
Not forgetting the 60,000 or so singing "Oh Ah Up the Ra" each week in the East of Glasgow

joxville
11-Sep-11, 17:52
All I've ever known since I was born 46 years ago and became aware of the wider world around me is that there is a 'war' going on somewhere on Earth; there's always been those unhappy with their lot, there's always been those who feel the need to tell others how they should live, and there's always been those that need more and will never get it. I honestly feel the best thing that could happen to Earth is mankind wiping itself out, we don't deserve to live on this planet, then nature can be left to nourish the surviving and deserving species.

highland red
11-Sep-11, 18:04
I wouldn't read too much into Megrahis 'reception', it was stage managed. Megrahi hardly registers with Libyans on the whole.

Regarding the US attitude towards terrorism in Ireland, once they'd seen first hand exactly what it's like to be on the receiving end of a large-scale attack they decided that maybe they ought to review their naive idea that PIRA were some sort of romantic freedom fighters back in the 'old country'.

9/11 woke a lot of people up. I'm just surprised that the US had got away for so long without suffering some large-scale terrorist incident.......

Regarding financial reparations. No. It would re-ignite a lot of old tensions and accusations, best to move on.

I agree entirely. Can we believe that the the release(s) of John Mcarthy Brian Keenan, Terry Waite and so on were NOT "stage managed" by the western media: and that when these releases happened, how they were perceived and manipulated by our good old (and totally truthful) media?

I had heard that during Megrahi's trial that a witness stated that he/she could positively state just "WHO" was responsible for the bombing: but was not allowed to state this in court.

What a bloody sad world.

orkneycadian
11-Sep-11, 18:04
And alas, much of the wars that are waged are based on religious beliefs.

Angel
11-Sep-11, 22:16
Totally agree Jox... This is something I have always believed...

Angel...