PDA

View Full Version : Infraction!! Have you have heard of it?

KILTIECAULDBUM
07-Oct-06, 15:42
I have received an "INFRACTION" on this site because I duplicated a thread in 3 different places. I appreciate in hindsite that this may lead to "clogging up of the site to get a point across" but, as I don't post much, and therefore not aware of this 'rule', would it not have been better to just inform me of the 'rule' & remove 2 of the listings, instead of the heavy hand approach & going straight to this "INFRACTION"?[evil]
All I asked was for someone to transport a static caravan on the General, Wanted, & Caravan boards. This was because it is required urgently as the buyer is heading South on Monday. After that all 3 listings could be removed as it would be too late to do anything anyway.
As I said , I don't post much on the site & when I sign in there is always a message to encourage me to do so!! Well I am sorry but, if this is how heavy handed & strict this helpful local site is run, then I don't think I will be taking up the offer.
My apologies though to all Orgers for "clogging up the site" tut tut, due to my ignorance of the "rules".
That is unless there is also some other 'rule' that bans freedom of speech on here & this thread is also removed resulting in a lifetime ban for me being "too outspoken"[lol]

j4bberw0ck
07-Oct-06, 15:43
Well, like the rest of us you're free not to like the rules, and free not to use the boards. :lol:

KILTIECAULDBUM
07-Oct-06, 18:31
Well, like the rest of us you're free not to like the rules, and free not to use the boards.

That is all fair & well. I have nothing against the rules or using the board. The point I was trying to make was the "heavy-handed" approach to tell me I had broken a rule I knew nothing about. It was just a simple oversight, not exactly crime of the century.
Maybe I will be featured on next weeks Crimewatch UK????:lol:
Even in employment if you make a mistake you get warned verbally first!!
If this is what happens in an instance like this, what do you get for a serious infringement? THE FIRING SQUAD!![lol]

Ricco
07-Oct-06, 18:39
That is all fair & well. I have nothing against the rules or using the board. The point I was trying to make was the "heavy-handed" approach to tell me I had broken a rule I knew nothing about. It was just a simple oversight, not exactly crime of the century.
If this is what happens in an instance like this, what do you get for a serious infringement? THE FIRING SQUAD!![lol]

Sounds like you did get a verbal warning to me. I thought the rules were quite clear, but it can still be easy to go astray occasionally. Try to accept it as one of those things and let it go.

Billy Boy
07-Oct-06, 18:58
i think it was a little harsh,would it not of been better to pm him to let him know he was in the wrong and tell him to delete two of the post's and it would be a lesson learnt, or is that the point of the infaction:confused:

Sandra
07-Oct-06, 19:01
The rules state that users should get verbal warnings (yellow card) before they get the infraction (red card).

Fluff
07-Oct-06, 21:56
is it not the users resbonbility to check the rules etc..?

golach
07-Oct-06, 23:01
Whats all the fuss about, its a new system, you broke the rules and got a telling off, big deal, I'm a Moderator and I have an infraction too, am I crying about it? NO. I diddna throw my toys out of the pram either, I did wrong so I got a slap, not a problem.

percy toboggan
07-Oct-06, 23:13
I've had an infraction to, not the cardiac type mercifully, or is that an infarction. What's the difference?
Confused? you might be. I am.Mine was for word masking. I know someone who got a months ban for doing that so I know when I'm well off.

Jeid
08-Oct-06, 01:30
http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/images/smilies/woohoo.gif

Read the rules http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/images/smilies/rockon.gif

Kaishowing
08-Oct-06, 01:52
Had the same treatment for word masking...(although I wasn't aware that it was that bad an infringment)...also an entire thread that I created did a Houdini and vanished.
The word masking offence I got notified with an explanation...the thread vanishing, I didn't.
I meant no offence, but apparently I broke the rules in someone's opinion, so I consider myself lucky still to be here.

jinglejangle
08-Oct-06, 10:19
whats word masking?

dragonfly
08-Oct-06, 10:21
covering up a "bad word" with asterisks or other symbols, would show you but I'd get an infringement :lol:

jinglejangle
08-Oct-06, 10:32
cheers dragonfly!

Rheghead
08-Oct-06, 13:34
A breach of the rules is no longer now a prerequisite action to gain an infraction, rather, if sufficient numbers of reports of a bad post are made to moderators then that is sufficient grounds for an infraction. Mob justice is in place and the new moderators are felt obliged to act upon them.

Niall Fernie
08-Oct-06, 14:28
A breach of the rules is no longer now a prerequisite action to gain an infraction, rather, if sufficient numbers of reports of a bad post are made to moderators then that is sufficient grounds for an infraction. Mob justice is in place and the new moderators are felt obliged to act upon them.

What makes you think that?

Would people rather that we went back to the old suspension system?

From what I can see here there has been a clear breach of the forum rules and a ONE point infraction has been given (10 are required for a suspension). The point will be deducted after a set amount of time and in the meantime the poster is still able to access and post on the forum.

Infractions are private and can only be seen by the user in question and the mods/admin so I really don't understand what the big fuss is about. However if you wish to point out that you really do not understand the rules and think we should rewrite the one on duplicate posting then feel free to send me a PM with the changes you would like to see. I'll discuss them with the other mods/admins to see if they agree.

saxovtr
08-Oct-06, 14:47
read the rules and the admin would not need to inform you off them!!

Ricco
08-Oct-06, 15:35
What makes you think that?

Would people rather that we went back to the old suspension system?

From what I can see here there has been a clear breach of the forum rules and a ONE point infraction has been given (10 are required for a suspension). The point will be deducted after a set amount of time and in the meantime the poster is still able to access and post on the forum.

Infractions are private and can only be seen by the user in question and the mods/admin so I really don't understand what the big fuss is about. However if you wish to point out that you really do not understand the rules and think we should rewrite the one on duplicate posting then feel free to send me a PM with the changes you would like to see. I'll discuss them with the other mods/admins to see if they agree.

I would say that it is a case of selective dyslexia, Niall. Anyone who joins the org is advised to read the forum rules. If they fail to do so (you know, they don't bother and just click on 'Accept') then they have no grounds to squeal when they transgress and get a 'smack'. The rules are there to be read - ignorance is no excuse; if someone is caught doing 40mph in a 30 limit it is no use saying you didn't realise that you would get prosecuted, now is it?

Stick with it Niall.

Oh, and by the way... Kiltiecauldbum 'Transgression' person - I am not a moderator.

saxovtr
08-Oct-06, 15:49
selective dsylexia or they believe in the saying 'rules are there to be broken'

Rheghead
08-Oct-06, 15:58
I would say that it is a case of selective dyslexia, Niall. Anyone who joins the org is advised to read the forum rules. If they fail to do so (you know, they don't bother and just click on 'Accept') then they have no grounds to squeal when they transgress and get a 'smack'. The rules are there to be read - ignorance is no excuse; if someone is caught doing 40mph in a 30 limit it is no use saying you didn't realise that you would get prosecuted, now is it?

Stick with it Niall.

Simply reading the rules and obeying them offers no immunity to getting an infraction. When topics like religion, evolution, race, etc etc are being discussed then it opens the door to a wide range of differing opinions. One's honest opinion aired to all and sundry can be interpreted as an attempt to troll or act distastefully and if enough reports are made by a minority then that poster may get an infraction.

There are one or two mods on this forum who frequently use the 'I am disgusted by your comments' or 'I find your views distasteful'. So when someone can at click of a button allow their emotions to effect 'justice' then it is most worrying. Quite frankly, using the 'I am disgusted' tactics actually works in a forum format because it can be compared to a yob who pulls a gun on someone or shouts 'who are you looking at?'. And it makes intelligent people on the receiving end of such abuse to naturally want to negotiate and patch things up so the disgusted party gets their way. But in all honesty, people who pull the 'disgust card' should be treated in the same way as if they had used some other form of weapon in 'real life'.

Gleber2
08-Oct-06, 16:16
Good to see you back in the fray, Rheghead, and strange as it may seem, I am entirely in agreement with your analysis of the present regime. The cut and thrust of past exchanges were the aspects which made this forum so addictively good and although goaded to the point of anger on many occasions, I rarely felt like pulling out like many of those who engaged in this cut and thrust on subjects of weight and interest. What can a poor punter do but grin and bear it or resign?

zappster
08-Oct-06, 16:17
in the good old days it wid've been called a skelped bum

rfr10
08-Oct-06, 16:18
Happy days

golach
08-Oct-06, 16:19
There are one or two mods on this forum who frequently use the 'I am disgusted by your comments' or 'I find your views distasteful'. So when someone can at click of a button allow their emotions to effect 'justice' then it is most worrying. Quite frankly, using the 'I am disgusted' tactics actually works in a forum format because it can be compared to a yob who pulls a gun on someone or shouts 'who are you looking at?'. And it makes intelligent people on the receiving end of such abuse to naturally want to negotiate and patch things up so the disgusted party gets their way. But in all honesty, people who pull the 'disgust card' should be treated in the same way as if they had used some other form of weapon in 'real life'.

Rheghead, I think you will find that the users of the "I am disgusted by your comments" term are made by general members of the forum who report various postings and as Mods/Admin we have to act in accordance.
I personally have stated the views and beliefs or lack of beliefs that I hold, so a minority of Orgers might feel threatened by me being a Mod, but if a posting of any manner that might offend or disgusts me personally, I avoid like the plague and make no moderating decisons on these. There is enough Mods all from various backgrounds who are just like any other Orgers, they are humans and are therfore fallable, but our aim is not to domineer or dictate, but to keep the Org a safe and clean place to visit.

Ricco
08-Oct-06, 16:23

Wa-hey! Rheghead's back! Nice to see you back again. :D

Ricco
08-Oct-06, 16:25
However, that doesn't mean that I disagree with Golach and the others who have commented on the need for stability and social mores. Just nice to see an auld face back again. ;)

Jeid
08-Oct-06, 16:32
Simply reading the rules and obeying them offers no immunity to getting an infraction. When topics like religion, evolution, race, etc etc are being discussed then it opens the door to a wide range of differing opinions. One's honest opinion aired to all and sundry can be interpreted as an attempt to troll or act distastefully and if enough reports are made by a minority then that poster may get an infraction.

Welcome back...

I believe this is yours
http://www.comparte.cl/catalogo/prods/prod_imagen_thumb_19161104765795.jpg

[lol]