PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies for little boy

JWM
11-Sep-11, 07:52
Hi was just looking for some advice as to what's available for young pre-school boys in Wick? Is there any waiting lists and who to contact! Any advice would be gratefully received thanks :)

Droopy
11-Sep-11, 09:31
Hi was just looking for some advice as to what's available for young pre-school boys in Wick? Is there any waiting lists and who to contact! Any advice would be gratefully received thanks :) Well..theres the Bignold Park, The Green Rd Park, The Grizzly Park and The Riverside. No waiting lists. No contacts needed. You can use them whenever you like for free.....

trinkie
11-Sep-11, 11:03
I agree with Droopy, take him outdoors to play and meet with other children. That will help social skills.
Reading will open many doors. There are so many wonderful books for you to read to him - teach him to read at the same time.
Check with your local Library what they do for young children, sometimes they have a Reading and Singing time.
Dont forget to sing with your child at home, that can be great fun .
Playing with a ball in the park attracts other children which leads to all kinds of fun.
Most of all help him to develop a sense of humour - he will need that when he starts school.

Good luck and enjoy !!
Trinkie

Dadie
11-Sep-11, 12:32
There is kids story time/crafts/puppets sort of things, in the library, but you will have to go in and ask when it is.
There is loads of mother and toddler groups and nurseries, depending on his age...the health visitors have a list of them all.
There might even be messy play sessions like there is in Bower or music sessions!
The wick family centre has a wrap around care service where you can put him for a while....They have some great activities....just depends whats on.
The pool might have baby/toddler swimming lessons on..but again ask...I think Thurso pool had them..(I couldnt use them as I would be over the child:adult ratio)
Most activities like football, scout groups, jam cub etc are for school age kids so things for pre schoolers are things you have to stay with them.

orkneycadian
11-Sep-11, 12:53
Can't he just go outside and play?

JWM
11-Sep-11, 14:50
My kids are out a lot and we have them doing as much activities as possible to try and bring on their social skills. My daughter was able to go to the highland dancing and majorettes before she started school but there doesnt seem to be anything for wee boys.
No wonder people are sick of the org when you cant ask a simple question without people being sarcastic.

starfish
11-Sep-11, 15:04
My kids are out a lot and we have them doing as much activities as possible to try and bring on their social skills. My daughter was able to go to the highland dancing and majorettes before she started school but there doesnt seem to be anything for wee boys.
No wonder people are sick of the org when you cant ask a simple question without people being sarcastic. totally agree with you jwm

Mr P Cannop
11-Sep-11, 15:27
totally agree with you jwm

i agree too

Spongeboab
11-Sep-11, 15:31
on the Thurso side our 4 year old has joined Kook Sool and football, might be worth checking out the Wick Kook Sool ...
http://sport.caithness.org/group.php?id=89 and East End football training ... http://sites.google.com/site/eastendboysclub/home

hope you find something

orkneycadian
11-Sep-11, 18:03
My daughter was able to go to the highland dancing and majorettes before she started school but there doesnt seem to be anything for wee boys.

Alas, it seems that nothing passes for entertainment these days unless it is organised by others or comes via a screen... :(

I guess I could suggest a vast list of things to do (as I recall from my youth!) ranging from racing sticks / boats / ducks down a burn or a river (Will e Week river be good for that?) to looking under stones for slatericks, but I guess all will be deemed "old fashioned" or "incompliant with modern elf and safety thinking"

I don't think when we were peedie, that we went to anything organised, other than Sunday School and BB's once a week! The rest of the time, it was home made entertainment. Boats were carved out of wood for burn racing, guns and bows/arrows made similarly for cowboys/indians/cops/robbers or whatever (wood was a favourite for making things from....), rabbits were chased on foot to see if putting salt on their tails really did mean you could catch it (not sure how many miles I must have ran to try out that theory.... Cost 2 parents for days of entertainment = small bag of salt...), fish were caught of the pier using limpets and other bait scavenged off the shore....(cost to parents = 1 bamboo cane from garden centre, half a dozen hooks and some twine!)

Sign of the times I guess..... :(

JWM
11-Sep-11, 18:20
Alas, it seems that nothing passes for entertainment these days unless it is organised by others or comes via a screen... :(

I guess I could suggest a vast list of things to do (as I recall from my youth!) ranging from racing sticks / boats / ducks down a burn or a river (Will e Week river be good for that?) to looking under stones for slatericks, but I guess all will be deemed "old fashioned" or "incompliant with modern elf and safety thinking"

I don't think when we were peedie, that we went to anything organised, other than Sunday School and BB's once a week! The rest of the time, it was home made entertainment. Boats were carved out of wood for burn racing, guns and bows/arrows made similarly for cowboys/indians/cops/robbers or whatever (wood was a favourite for making things from....), rabbits were chased on foot to see if putting salt on their tails really did mean you could catch it (not sure how many miles I must have ran to try out that theory.... Cost 2 parents for days of entertainment = small bag of salt...), fish were caught of the pier using limpets and other bait scavenged off the shore....(cost to parents = 1 bamboo cane from garden centre, half a dozen hooks and some twine!)

Sign of the times I guess..... :(

MMM Not sure how to reply. Think i would prefer my kids to go to something that had been checked out and adults had been screened rather than running wild.

Each to their own i suppose but kinda getting off topic think ill just leave the org for asking questions from now on.

annemarie482
11-Sep-11, 18:45
theres rushdance classes for boys and girls from age 3!

my son used to go, but just didnt have the attention span for it.
its kinda street/breakdancing.

changilass
11-Sep-11, 18:57
Wee boys can do highland dancing too, very good for their coordination, builds up their muscles ready for footy lol

JWM
11-Sep-11, 19:06
theres rushdance classes for boys and girls from age 3!

my son used to go, but just didnt have the attention span for it.
its kinda street/breakdancing.

Thanks for that will look into it