PDA

View Full Version : Help please

mrsC2011
10-Sep-11, 21:53
Hi I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem as I am having with my 15 wk old lab puppy. She has been eating her poo of and on since I got her and just to day she has started eating my other dogs poo aswell I no that it's not to do with the fact that she's hungry as they r both feed the same times each day and it's also worrying me that it's not fresh ones it's the ones that I haven't picked up straight away or if I forget to go and clean it up there the ones she eatsSo any advice on how to stop it would be great thanks

mop top
10-Sep-11, 22:01
chop up courgettes and put it in her food the chemical change to them in her stomach will stop her from eating her poo, pineapple also works but dogs dont want to eat it the same whereas courgettes tend to be more palatable. common trait in labradors, she is eating the poo as there is probably undigested food in it so she thinks it is food. Gross but normal in labradors to the best of my knowledge.

mrsC2011
10-Sep-11, 22:59
Thanks will gets some when I go shopping nxt

mirandarainbow
10-Sep-11, 23:34
Hope that works! My collie was awful when he was little - He'd get into the cat litter to eat the poo then throw it up later in the car! It was horrible! :P

Jenni
10-Sep-11, 23:39
My staffy was the same but she just grew out of it. I had never heard any tips about this so just tried to ignore it and as I say, she just stopped it by herself. Unfortunately she still makes a dash for the litter tray. I just have to make sure I get to it first and remove with a poop scoop.

Dadie
11-Sep-11, 12:58
Just keep worming the horror!
If she is eating poo when out in your garden, think about where the poo that she could eat when out on a walk!

Leanne
11-Sep-11, 14:10
What is she being fed on? It can also be a sign of a dietary deficiency. Check the levels of stuff on your puppy food bag - all feeds are not created equally. If you compare to one of the top end food you can see if it has any less of the vitamins/minerals. For example - Bakers is like Macdonalds to dogs - they love it, but nutritionally it is pretty poor. Feeding it can result in hyperactivity, behavioural problems and skin/coat issues.

crustyroll
11-Sep-11, 21:09
I agree, look at what you are feeding her. How many times a day are you feeding her, at 15 weeks I would say she should still be getting fed twice a day, possibly even 3 if she's burning off a lot of energy. You have to tell her off as soon as you catch her doing it and a lot of dogs outgrow it without any intervention from the owner. I wouldn't say its common in Labs, not anymore common than in any other breed of dog. At 15 weeks you should also still be going out into the garden with her or at least watching from the window as this way you can catch her at it, and also praise her when she's done her own toilet and praise her for leaving the poo.... she's still very much a baby. I still go out with my pup that's 14 weeks to make sure she is toileting properly and praising her as they can still have accidents.

mrsC2011
12-Sep-11, 15:57
She is getting fed at breakfast and tea time and she doesn't eat poo when were out walking as she's rarely off her lead she is getting fed wag puppy food and so is my other dog so then they get fed at the same time in the same room my older dog did it but it wasnt as long as this and she's a german shepherd so I no it's no just labs that do it and with 3 kids under 6 it's a tad hard to be in and out the whole time so the bak door is open the whole time when we are in the house so she can go in and out as is needed

Leanne
12-Sep-11, 17:49
She is getting fed at breakfast and tea time and she doesn't eat poo when were out walking as she's rarely off her lead she is getting fed wag puppy food and so is my other dog so then they get fed at the same time in the same room my older dog did it but it wasnt as long as this and she's a german shepherd so I no it's no just labs that do it and with 3 kids under 6 it's a tad hard to be in and out the whole time so the bak door is open the whole time when we are in the house so she can go in and out as is needed

Wagg could be the problem - it's not got the best nutritional content. As far as supervision goes - a puppy is really like a small child and should be supervised to ensure they don't do unwanted behaviours (or chew on/eat anything they shouldn't). If you are not able to monitor the problem you will not get consistency and will not crack the problem. Telling the pup off for it only sporadically could result in a nervous and confused dog. If you are not able to put the time into your pup you can at best hope that a diet change will help and the pup will grow out of it.

You may also find having the back door open all the time can slow house training as your pup isn't learning to 'hold it'.

But whatever works for you. A lot can be critical on how we raise our pups but as long as they are healthy and happy then that's ok :)

mrsC2011
12-Sep-11, 18:31
leanne i was aking about how to stop her eating poo i wasnt asking about hose training her as she is doing very well in the part i have had 2 previous dogs and they were all treated the same as my lab pup has been my gsd is 7 and she was trained the same so if u want to critisise me then go ahead but please be dont get involved if thats all ur goin to do

as for everyone else thanks for ur help

crustyroll
12-Sep-11, 19:56
Yep, I think Wagg could or should I say, is probably part of the problem. Even though its for puppies, it's not the best quality of dog food. I don't feed dog food, I feed raw but as I know not everyone wants or likes to feed this way, I do try to recommend some of the better quality dog foods for puppies. What you put into them in training applies as well as what you put into them in feeding. I'd try Wainwrights dry or wet trays or tins, James Wellbeloved, nature diet or some of Pets at Homes wet food trays. I have tried my own pup on it to see what she thought and she loved the Pets at Home tray's along with Nature diet and Wainwrights. You should also find that the better quality of food you feed, the less waste you'll get and the less hyperactivity and any possible skins problems surfacing.

Leanne
12-Sep-11, 20:01
leanne i was aking about how to stop her eating poo i wasnt asking about hose training her as she is doing very well in the part i have had 2 previous dogs and they were all treated the same as my lab pup has been my gsd is 7 and she was trained the same so if u want to critisise me then go ahead but please be dont get involved if thats all ur goin to do

as for everyone else thanks for ur help

Please re-read my post - I wasn't being critical - I was just giving my experience (and I have quite a lot with a range of dogs). One thing I have learned is no two dogs are alike and what may work for one might not work for the next. You asked for advice - people have offered it and it is up to you to choose whether to accept it. There is no need though to get defensive against someone who was offering advice about what you asked about. You are the one with the problem and seeking a solution. I am offering my experience for you to learn from if you wish to sort the problem.

dragonfly
12-Sep-11, 20:10
my lab is on burns and still eats poo, I think its more to do with her being a rescue dog and from a puppy farm.....have been told that puppy farm dogs are bad for eating their own. Tried everything, she's not as bad now but she still does it......gross! with a puppy I'd try squirting it with a water gun everytime you see it doing it, they usually react quite well to that and will have an association of getting a soaking with eating poo