PDA

View Full Version : Slate Fireplace

Ali
07-Oct-06, 08:53
Hi,
I've just finished building a slate hearth etc for my fire and was wondering whats the best to clean it up with, some say sour milk and some say linseed oil, does anybody have experience of either? The slate is riven, natural, rough or whatever, not polished.

cheers
Ali

Naefearjustbeer
07-Oct-06, 08:53
Black boot polish will make it look nice

sweetpea
07-Oct-06, 09:15
Hi Ali

I had this carry on with a slate fireplace once. Everyone kept telling me different things, although mine was polished. I used boot polish but it required a lot of elbow grease. The milk just left what looked like water marks.:)

sam
07-Oct-06, 09:32
we had one years ago when i was younger and i mind my dad using boot polish, but like sweetpea says it takes a lot of elbow grease.
does come up nice though

Moby
07-Oct-06, 09:39
We had a rough slate hearth a number of years ago. We tried the milk - it stunk. We tried the oil - bit sticky especially with young kids around. Eventually we settled with the boot polish and elbow grease - perfect!

We now have a slate floor and have not done anything yet for fear of the boot polish being trailled through the house - anyone got any suggestions??? Please not the milk, I can't stand the smell.

Ann
07-Oct-06, 09:40
What's wrong with just washing it and leaving it natural?

emszxr
07-Oct-06, 09:41
hiya, you can get a product, although more expensive than boot polish, that will clean any dirt and marks off your natural stone fireplace . then you can get another product that will seal the stone as it is porous, so it will be easier to clean and will stop it getting water marks on it.
although not cheap it is very good

emszxr
07-Oct-06, 09:43
What's wrong with just washing it and leaving it natural?

i find this leaves water marks with being a porous stone

Ann
07-Oct-06, 09:48
Ah, I see. There were flagstone floors was in my Grannie's but an' ben and as a kid I wouldn't notice things like that. I remember her down on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor; no fancy mops in them days. :) Cheers.

riggerboy
07-Oct-06, 09:56
baby oil works wonderful

unicorn
07-Oct-06, 09:57
I was just going to say baby oil lol.

connieb19
07-Oct-06, 10:12
I buy slate oil from Macdonalds who do the gravestones but if I run out i use cooking oil.

highlander
07-Oct-06, 12:44
We have not polished our slate fireplace, left it looking natural, good wash and buff up with dry cloth, i find the highly polished stone so false

marlyn
07-Oct-06, 13:06
we used Johnsons 'Klear' floor polish which leaves a really nice shine, and not too much elbow grease is required (always good)

highlander
07-Oct-06, 13:43
2/3 of real turps and raw linsed oil, that will darken the fireplace, but put in on very thinly, brush on, wipe off excess thourly. Plz make sure its real turps you use.

paris
07-Oct-06, 14:08
Done many an old brick fire place and have always used PVA glue. Looks like milk when put on but dry`s brill with no marks. jan x:D

rainbow
07-Oct-06, 17:56
I use orange oil polish that I bought in TESCO'S. It is called orange glo wood cleaner and polish. Works a treat, and you get a lovely smell too. I use it after I have cleaned out the fire, or weekly over the summer when the fire is not on.

Lavenderblue2
07-Oct-06, 18:49
I use black boot polish - over time you get a 'glass shine'.

Lovely!

LB

Ali
07-Oct-06, 20:06
Cheers guys / gals,
I'm gonna try the linseed oil and turps option, boot polish sounds like too hard a work. Thanks for all your help.

cheers
Ali

saffy100
07-Oct-06, 20:32
Hey ya lightweight........get that boot polish out!!!!!!....lol

ice box
08-Oct-06, 00:21
Try kleer floor polish get it in the super markets works wonders on the old combat boots

loo-b-loo
09-Oct-06, 09:57
WD40 is meant to be really good and easy to do as it has a spray bottle. My mum was recomended it by the gas guy when he serviced her fire. She has been using it ever since.

bythefireside
01-Sep-08, 12:27
Hi,
I've just finished building a slate hearth etc for my fire and was wondering whats the best to clean it up with, some say sour milk and some say linseed oil, does anybody have experience of either? The slate is riven, natural, rough or whatever, not polished.

cheers
Ali

Hi Ali,

I was reading your post and although it has been quite some time since you posted it, I feel that the following information could still help in the future and also hopefully may help some other people who also need this answered!

Ok... :Razz

A. Boot Polish - My opinion it would leave quite a mess!

B. Sour milk - the effects will diminish in a couple of days, so you will have to keep applying... Imagine the smell... Especially on a hot day! ;)

C. Linseed oil is a bit too thick for the purpose and also can leave an unpleasant odour...

My method

1. First you need to wash and clean your slate hearth (unless this has already been done).

2. Allow the slate to dry completely... (And I mean bone dry! Or stone dry as the case may be :lol:)

3. Apply teak oil (this is normally available in large diy stores) - Teak oil is the right thickness and is virtually odourless!

As a note; apply first time, then once more in 2 weeks after this and then apply every few months, or when needed!

I hope this is helpful!

Buck

Welcomefamily
01-Sep-08, 12:42
This method does work so does teak oil.

2/3 of real turps and raw linsed oil, that will darken the fireplace, but put in on very thinly, brush on, wipe off excess thourly. Plz make sure its real turps you use.

teenybash
01-Sep-08, 18:25
Boot Polish.....get those elbows going..................put on some fav music and let that rythm slide down those arms and polish to the beat....;)

thebigman
02-Sep-08, 12:48
i find this leaves water marks with being a porous stone

If it's slate it's certainly not porous. Used to be used for damp proof membranes as well as roof coverings.