PDA

View Full Version : Latheron Wheel

argyle kid
09-Sep-11, 12:53
Hi all,

Does anyone out there know the why the "wheel" came about? I read in a book of Scottish place names that it might be in the old coach days they had to cover the wheels with leather to get past difficult ground in that area.

Look forward to reply . Regards AK.

Errogie
09-Sep-11, 13:31
I was told that the steep hill required the application of a fairly rudimentary brake on the rim of the wheel and the brake pad was leather. Hence the call for leather on wheel!

Moira
09-Sep-11, 17:27
Here's a link which suggests that the name Latheronwheel originated from the Gaelic. The article also mentions the "leather on the wheel" story.

http://www.caithness.org/history/latheronhistory/latheron5.htm

Interesting stuff, Argyle Kid, I'd never really thought about it. :)

cherokee
09-Sep-11, 17:37
This is a really interesting thread argyle kid !

I've lived in this area all my life and have sometimes wondered as to the origin of said place name. Errogie - your definition certainly sounds plausible.

P/S- Thanks Moira too for that very insightful story !

argyle kid
10-Sep-11, 13:13
Hi all.
Before I had seen the post from Moira, was in the club and over a dram mentioned the question. A fellow member took up the story.
He many years ago was in a quiz and a little old lady raised the same question.She of mature age told the company this story.
During the herring days carts and horses were used to transport the fish.The path down to the harbour is very steep in places so leather was wrapped around the wheels to create more drag.This prevented the heavy carts from overrunning the horses on steep bits.
the term "leather on" became changed into latheron wheel thus to put the leather on wheel became changed.

This begs the question where do the people of Latheron put their "leather on" themselves perhaps, bit kinky.

Latheron harbour is a must see place from the brae to the harbour three different walks can be started but that is another story.

Regards AK.

Errogie
11-Sep-11, 08:24
I'm just trying to get my head around how wrapping leather around the wheel of a loaded cart might reduce its momentum down the hill. I can see that it might improve grip and stop an iron rim skidding but the load is still going to be pushing the horse in front of it, but surely the load is going to be herring coming up from the harbour unless they've been put into their barrels somewhere else in the village and are heading back down to be exported Russia or other parts of Europe.

Perhaps somebody else can provide an answer to this one.

embow
11-Sep-11, 09:00
But Latheron just along the road is of Gaelic origin and Latheronwheel is also known as Janetstown. Who was Janet?
Have a wee read of the plaque high up on the side of the ex-Blends hotel next time you pass that way. Quite interesting.

Beat Bug
11-Sep-11, 16:30
I've heard tell that the chap who built the hotel, the first building to be built in Latheronwheel, wanted the village to be named after his wife, Janet.

mi16
11-Sep-11, 17:52
perhaps Janet had a leather fetish
ooh er

argyle kid
12-Sep-11, 13:27
My money is on the old wife's story,she was local to the area and old enough that her grandfather could have been one of those putting "leather on wheels".My old caithness ears tell me that it was pronounced "leatheran wheel"not far of leather on wheel.

What about dunbeath lybster berridale(please excuse spelling) would they require leather there also.

The truth is out there somewhere.
Regards AK

Mosser
12-Sep-11, 15:10
I've heard tell that the chap who built the hotel, the first building to be built in Latheronwheel, wanted the village to be named after his wife, Janet.

Janetstown named after the mother of the village proprietor when it was founded in 1853. Latheron is thought to have Norse roots as "th" is silent in Gaelic and the spelling changed over the centuries; 1275 Lagheryn, 1551 Lathrin, 1561 Letherin, much closer to the pronunciation today. The Wheel element could be Gaelic for a Ford pronounced fuil or Norse Vathll, a wading place

Mosser