PDA

View Full Version : Driving Tests in Thurso

L33M
07-Sep-11, 17:22
Is anyone else having problems booking a test in Thurso?? There seems to be plenty for Wick but very very few in Thurso......

dragonfly
07-Sep-11, 17:28
my son had one booked for next week but had to cancel as away on course with work, next available date is December.....could have got October in Wick but he's not used to driving round there and doesn't know the test route, certainly seems to be a longer waiting list for Thurso than Wick - is it due to more people sitting their tests in Thurso or less days available to sit them?

mi16
07-Sep-11, 18:07
my son had one booked for next week but had to cancel as away on course with work, next available date is December.....could have got October in Wick but he's not used to driving round there and doesn't know the test route, certainly seems to be a longer waiting list for Thurso than Wick - is it due to more people sitting their tests in Thurso or less days available to sit them?

Does the driving test only qualify you to utilise the roads in the town of passing?
If youare suitable to meet the standard for unaccompanied driving you should surely be able to drive in the metropalis of Wick.
Pity help him if he decides to go to Brora on a jaunt when qualified!!

dragonfly
07-Sep-11, 18:14
of course not but do you not remember being nervous on your test??

mi16
07-Sep-11, 18:51
of course not but do you not remember being nervous on your test??

nope............

dragonfly
07-Sep-11, 19:01
nope............

good for you! now instead of picking fault with my son for wanting to sit his test in the town where he has been learning to drive and jumping to unsubstantiated conclusions, you might want to get back onto the subject raised by OP?

Walter Ego
07-Sep-11, 19:04
Doesn't know "the test route?"

Is he learning to drive or how to follow a set route? I'd change driving instructors for a proper one if I were him.

And I think there's more than one 'route'......

dragonfly
07-Sep-11, 19:09
get back on topic! the org at its best instead of posting anything helpful its lets attack when they show a sign of weakness........forum bullying at its best, hope you're all feeling suitably smug at being able to sit on your bums and snipe away in comfort

Walter Ego
07-Sep-11, 19:10
Ok.

I haven't got a clue.....:Razz

mi16
07-Sep-11, 19:15
Sorry I have no idea about the backlog, here is a cunning plan..tell him to man up and set the bleeding test in Wick.

dragonfly
07-Sep-11, 19:18
thanks for the advice.......now go find another thread where you can sit up on your high horse and look down at the minions

Corrie 3
07-Sep-11, 19:24
Lo and behold if everyone up here had to go and sit their test in Glasgow......no one would pass!!!!

Get him to Wick, it will be a change for him from driving around Thurso and will set him up for a good future in driving skills which he will need when he passes and wants to branch out!!!

C3.............:roll:;)

golach
07-Sep-11, 19:25
Ffs get back on topic! the org at its best instead of posting anything helpful its lets attack when they show a sign of weakness........forum bullying at its best, hope you're all feeling suitably smug at being able to sit on your bums and snipe away in comfort
A question dragonfly? What do those first 3 letters of you post mean? I hope they were not a form of masking swear words....that can earn you infractions :eek:

dragonfly
07-Sep-11, 19:26
and so does trolling! FFS for your information is for flips sake.......unless you know another meaning Golach?

dragonfly
07-Sep-11, 19:30
any more for any more? might as well turn this thread into a lets get Dragonfly to flip thread.......had infraction points before, not at all bothered, more important things in life going on than a slap on the wrist on a forum

mi16
07-Sep-11, 19:36
Oh no not an INFRACTION

Corrie 3
07-Sep-11, 19:44
Lad sticks to having his test in Thurso, passes first time, now thinks he is Sterling Moss and is invincible. Gets Mum and Dad to buy his first car and pay for large amount of Insurance...now he is free, off into the big wide world with his new motor with loud exhaust and go-faster stripes. Picks up his teen girlfriend, go for a pint and he starts showing off...but he is invincible..........................see were I am going?????
Get him off to Wick and get some more experience under his belt before this scenario becomes reality..

C3.................:eek::eek::roll:

mi16
07-Sep-11, 19:48
Lad sticks to having his test in Thurso, passes first time, now thinks he is Sterling Moss and is invincible. Gets Mum and Dad to buy his first car and pay for large amount of Insurance...now he is free, off into the big wide world with his new motor with loud exhaust and go-faster stripes. Picks up his teen girlfriend, go for a pint and he starts showing off...but he is invincible..........................see were I am going?????
Get him off to Wick and get some more experience under his belt before this scenario becomes reality..

C3.................:eek::eek::roll:

And the 1st prize for jumping to conclusions 2011 goes to.....................................

Corrie 3
07-Sep-11, 19:52
And the 1st prize for jumping to conclusions 2011 goes to.....................................

Wow, that could be any member on here but my money has to go on Walter!!!

C3...............:roll:;);)

orkneycadian
07-Sep-11, 19:55
my son had one booked for next week but had to cancel as away on course with work, next available date is December.....

Tell him not to bother..... If Colin McRae can fly a helicopter without a valid or current pilots licence, then providing you son knows which seat in the car to sit in, he should be fine....

dragonfly
07-Sep-11, 19:58
oh sorry are you feeling left out that I didn't react to your 1st post C3?

He has plenty experience driving in and around the county and up and down to Inverness, his car is a 1lt corsa bought out of his own money from his job where he puts in over 40 hours a week to pay for the insurance himself which is over £1000 a year. where he chooses to sit his test and when is entirely up to him and having input all his own money I'm sure he will think twice before hammering it like Sterling Moss........not that a 1lt Corsa has that much pith to start with and now you're suggesting he's going to be a drink driver? OMG (thats oh my god Golach) what will happen when he gets the teenage girl into the car, will he give her ketomine so he can have his wicked way with her.........???? all because I replied to the OP on his question about why do you have to wait longer for a test in Thurso??

seriously guys - get a life, look in the mirror and see your own imperfections cos you have them like everyone else!

dragonfly
07-Sep-11, 20:01
Tell him not to bother..... If Colin McRae can fly a helicopter without a valid or current pilots licence, then providing you son knows which seat in the car to seat in, he should be fine....

lol, thanks for the laugh Orkneycadian!

Doreen
07-Sep-11, 20:29
Oh dear this is an intresting thread my lips are zipped lol:lol:

northener
07-Sep-11, 20:34
There has always been a bias towards tests being carried out in Wick in my experience.

Doreen
07-Sep-11, 20:41
Well im gonna say if your ready to sit your driving test does it matter where you sit it because if your not confident to sit your test somewhere else maybe your not ready.

dragonfly
07-Sep-11, 20:43
...........????

mirandarainbow
07-Sep-11, 21:41
Dragonfly, Good luck to your son, I'm sure he'll do fine (: x

orkneycadian
07-Sep-11, 21:50
And as Colin MacRae and that other great arborologist, Marc Bolan said, "Watch out for e trees".....

Corrie 3
07-Sep-11, 21:53
And as Colin MacRae and that other great arborologist, Marc Bolan said, "Watch out for e trees".....
And truckers tanked up on Vodka!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-14824092

C3..................:eek::eek::eek:

golach
07-Sep-11, 22:16
and so does trolling! FFS for your information is for flips sake.......unless you know another meaning Golach?
Thank you for your explanation dragonfly, I believe you......Aye Right!!!!!

dragonfly
07-Sep-11, 22:24
Thank you for your explanation dragonfly, I believe you......Aye Right!!!!!

whether you believe me or not is of no concern to me

golach
07-Sep-11, 22:29
whether you believe me or not is of no concern to me

The feeling is mutual

mi16
08-Sep-11, 07:15
Tell him not to bother..... If Colin McRae can fly a helicopter without a valid or current pilots licence, then providing you son knows which seat in the car to sit in, he should be fine....

That depends very much on if you would like him to die in a ball of flames taking his son and a couple of others with him then being branded a murderer.

mi16
08-Sep-11, 07:20
oh sorry are you feeling left out that I didn't react to your 1st post C3?

He has plenty experience driving in and around the county and up and down to Inverness, his car is a 1lt corsa bought out of his own money from his job where he puts in over 40 hours a week to pay for the insurance himself which is over £1000 a year. where he chooses to sit his test and when is entirely up to him and having input all his own money I'm sure he will think twice before hammering it like Sterling Moss........not that a 1lt Corsa has that much pith to start with and now you're suggesting he's going to be a drink driver? OMG (thats oh my god Golach) what will happen when he gets the teenage girl into the car, will he give her ketomine so he can have his wicked way with her.........???? all because I replied to the OP on his question about why do you have to wait longer for a test in Thurso??

seriously guys - get a life, look in the mirror and see your own imperfections cos you have them like everyone else!

Id imagine he will go for the old fashioned, tried and tested route of rohypnol. It will be a night she will never remember.

NickInTheNorth
08-Sep-11, 08:15
Totally off topic, but I really do think that the flippant attitude expressed to drug induced date rape is totally disgusting, and you all should take a long hard look at yourselves.

Rape is never a joke!

mi16
08-Sep-11, 08:35
Besides yourself, who mentioned rape?

NickInTheNorth
08-Sep-11, 09:08
Besides yourself, who mentioned rape?

Id imagine he will go for the old fashioned, tried and tested route of rohypnol. It will be a night she will never remember.

You, whether you know it or not!

mi16
08-Sep-11, 09:32
You, whether you know it or not!

My goodness you have a sick, sick (and twisted) mind.
I never suggested he rape the lass, rohypnol is used by ravers and the like to produce euphoric and relaxing effects (as well as date raping scumbags).
I would never condone anything other than consensual relations between human beings (or aliens for that matter).

L33M
08-Sep-11, 18:31
Back to the initial question Driving Tests in Thurso!!I've recently been told that Thurso is classed as a remote driving test centre so qualifies the same as Bettyhill!!Also if you have Thurso instructor you are only allowed to get a test in Thurso as applying for anywhere else is frowned apon!!Is this because the tester lives in Wick and can't be bothered coming up more to Thurso!?!?

lindsaymcc
08-Sep-11, 21:17
Hope S gets on OK with his test Dragonfly. I dont blame him in the slightest for wanting to take his test in familiar surroundings. When I learnt, I was in a large town and had I been asked to go to the next town just to sit my test sooner, I would have declined also. We had about 10 "test routes" in our town, and my instructor for my last 10 lessons, took me on every single one so I would be prepared. You wouldnt just get in a car a drive into a town you didnt know without say Sat Nav or at least having studied a map first, to be prepared.

Anyway, cant help on the delay in timings for Thurso, but good luck to any upcoming test sitters.

mi16
08-Sep-11, 21:27
Hope S gets on OK with his test Dragonfly. I dont blame him in the slightest for wanting to take his test in familiar surroundings. When I learnt, I was in a large town and had I been asked to go to the next town just to sit my test sooner, I would have declined also. We had about 10 "test routes" in our town, and my instructor for my last 10 lessons, took me on every single one so I would be prepared. You wouldnt just get in a car a drive into a town you didnt know without say Sat Nav or at least having studied a map first, to be prepared.

Anyway, cant help on the delay in timings for Thurso, but good luck to any upcoming test sitters.

The tester tells you where to go, so you cant really get lost and I am sure the lad has been to Wick before.

northener
08-Sep-11, 21:51
Back to the initial question Driving Tests in Thurso!!I've recently been told that Thurso is classed as a remote driving test centre so qualifies the same as Bettyhill!!Also if you have Thurso instructor you are only allowed to get a test in Thurso as applying for anywhere else is frowned apon!!Is this because the tester lives in Wick and can't be bothered coming up more to Thurso!?!?

No it's not.

The Driving Examiners job is based in Wick. Wick is the administrative centre for the area, it also has the facility to do motorcycle Part 1 & 2 and up until recently was the centre for HGV tests too. The DE covers Thurso and Orkney as well. Not 'being bothered' doesn't come into it. The DE does not have some little book in which he makes up his own working day and calender, the DSA booking service are responsible for that - the Examiner has very little input. And where he happens to live is not anyones concern except his.

Also, Wick has roundabouts and the facility to do the bay park excersise - neither of which are possible in Thurso. In fact you can pass your test in Thurso without ever having negotiated a roundabout......

mi16
08-Sep-11, 22:04
No it's not.

The Driving Examiners job is based in Wick. Wick is the administrative centre for the area, it also has the facility to do motorcycle Part 1 & 2 and up until recently was the centre for HGV tests too. The DE covers Thurso and Orkney as well. Not 'being bothered' doesn't come into it. The DE does not have some little book in which he makes up his own working day and calender, the DSA booking service are responsible for that - the Examiner has very little input. And where he happens to live is not anyones concern except his.

Also, Wick has roundabouts and the facility to do the bay park excersise - neither of which are possible in Thurso. In fact you can pass your test in Thurso without ever having negotiated a roundabout......

Indeed you can, you can pass your test in Bettyhill without meeting another car

gingernut
08-Sep-11, 22:20
No it's not.

That's true, and remember the carry on in Wick when they first introduced the roundabout!! Not that long ago either.

telfordstar
08-Sep-11, 22:28
Having just passed my test in past 6 months and living in wick there would be no way I would even consider "manning up" and taking test in a different town. I find this thread quite pathetic the way its turned, once again the "numptys" of this forum are out in force yet again!

mi16
09-Sep-11, 07:08
That's true, and remember the carry on in Wick when they first introduced the roundabout!! Not that long ago either.

which one?

mi16
09-Sep-11, 07:09
Having just passed my test in past 6 months and living in wick there would be no way I would even consider "manning up" and taking test in a different town. I find this thread quite pathetic the way its turned, once again the "numptys" of this forum are out in force yet again!

OK so from your (presumably) recent experience, how did you get on with your first trip to Thurso?
Was is capitulation, mayhem and tears or plain sailing?

Corrie 3
09-Sep-11, 09:17
And the poor driving skills up here tell me that everyone should be sent to Inverness to take their test, no practice run's, no dummy run's. That would sort out the real drivers from the ones that only know how to behave and be tested on one stretch of road in Wick or Thurso...(or even Bettyhill). No wonder so many youngsters have a crash within a short time of "passing" their tests!
And its amazing how soon after passing that they forget what indicators are for!!!

C3...............:eek::roll:

mi16
09-Sep-11, 09:25
And the poor driving skills up here tell me that everyone should be sent to Inverness to take their test, no practice run's, no dummy run's. That would sort out the real drivers from the ones that only know how to behave and be tested on one stretch of road in Wick or Thurso...(or even Bettyhill). No wonder so many youngsters have a crash within a short time of "passing" their tests!
And its amazing how soon after passing that they forget what indicators are for!!!

C3...............:eek::roll:

I dont think the driving skills up here are any worst than anywhere else to be honest.
Take a city person out on a single track country land and they are worse than useless.
I dont think your Inverness plan is workable, how do you expect someone to negociate larger roundabouts and dual carridgeways without ever having driven on them before?
Also how would you stop folk going to Inverness with their folks and taking dummy runs?

Indicators are they not for acknowledging your mates once you have passed them on the road.

Corrie 3
09-Sep-11, 09:32
I dont think the driving skills up here are any worst than anywhere else to be honest.
Take a city person out on a single track country land and they are worse than useless.
I dont think your Inverness plan is workable, how do you expect someone to negociate larger roundabouts and dual carridgeways without ever having driven on them before?
Also how would you stop folk going to Inverness with their folks and taking dummy runs?

Indicators are they not for acknowledging your mates once you have passed them on the road.
My point exactly mi16, at some stage they are going to have to negotiate those large roundabouts and endless traffic lights and multi-lanes, better if they can do all that before they pass their test when they have someone in the car with them. At some stage in their life they are going to have to face them, to me the test is a farce and driving schools only teach the pupils how to pass the test, not how to drive properly!!
Someone who takes their test in a city is going to make the better/safer driver in my book.

C3...........;)

NickInTheNorth
09-Sep-11, 09:33

No, that's just plain silly. You ought to go and take your test again if that's what you think!

Indicators should ONLY be used by pressing the hazard warning button. This then makes parking in the middle of the road next to a parked car legal while you head into the shop, chat to your mates or whatever else takes your fancy.

mi16
09-Sep-11, 09:40
My point exactly mi16, at some stage they are going to have to negotiate those large roundabouts and endless traffic lights and multi-lanes, better if they can do all that before they pass their test when they have someone in the car with them. At some stage in their life they are going to have to face them, to me the test is a farce and driving schools only teach the pupils how to pass the test, not how to drive properly!!
Someone who takes their test in a city is going to make the better/safer driver in my book.

C3...........;)

What if you take the city boy out of the one way and dual carridgeway methods of cities and slap them on a A road at midnight with frost, they dont cope so well then.
How could you expect a 17 year old to be able to afford to take the driver training and test at a location over 100 miles away, makes things extremely costly

Corrie 3
09-Sep-11, 09:46
How could you expect a 17 year old to be able to afford to take the driver training and test at a location over 100 miles away, makes things extremely costly
Not as costly as losing a loved one mi16.
The figures for accidents involving young men and women are staggering and a stricter test would help I feel. Dont forget, most youngsters pass their tests and then they feel invincible and see themselves as the best driver in the world.....sadly this is not the case!!!

C3................:(

mi16
09-Sep-11, 09:49

C3...........;)

That may not be the case though, I know folk that have never driver further outwith the county lines.
Even by passing your test in Inverness you have still gained no motorway experience or proper big roundabouts akin to Glasgow or Edinburgh, if you pass in Glasgow or Edinburgh it is nothing compared to Manchester or London.

gingernut
09-Sep-11, 09:52
which one?
The one below the hospital.

Corrie 3
09-Sep-11, 09:54
That may not be the case though, I know folk that have never driver further outwith the county lines.
Even by passing your test in Inverness you have still gained no motorway experience or proper big roundabouts akin to Glasgow or Edinburgh, if you pass in Glasgow or Edinburgh it is nothing compared to Manchester or London.
This is true but at least they have some idea what everyday driving is about which is more than the will do by just tootling around Wick or Thurso! I have just read that 1 in 5 of new drivers have a crash within 12 months of passing their test, that just backs up what I am trying to say!!! 110,000 teenagers lost their lives between 2000 and 2010...thats a lot of heartbroken families!!!

Scarybiscuits03
09-Sep-11, 10:00
I booked some lessons in Inverness and sat my test there. I wouldn't feel like a safe driver if I had only ever driven in Thurso and Wick.
People's first experience of dual carriageways and roundabouts shouldn't be after they have passed their tests, this should all be part of the testing process to make sure they are confident enough to deal with these situations.
People should be confident enough to sit their tests anywhere, not only the route they have been practicing repeatedly. If this isn't the case then I would worry as to whether they were ready to be behind a wheel without instruction. :eek:

mi16
09-Sep-11, 10:02
This is true but at least they have some idea what everyday driving is about which is more than the will do by just tootling around Wick or Thurso! I have just read that 1 in 5 of new drivers have a crash within 12 months of passing their test, that just backs up what I am trying to say!!! 110,000 teenagers lost their lives between 2000 and 2010...thats a lot of heartbroken families!!!

How many of those were from isolated rural communities with no city driving experience?

mi16
09-Sep-11, 10:06
I booked some lessons in Inverness and sat my test there. I wouldn't feel like a safe driver if I had only ever driven in Thurso and Wick.
People's first experience of dual carriageways and roundabouts shouldn't be after they have passed their tests, this should all be part of the testing process to make sure they are confident enough to deal with these situations.
People should be confident enough to sit their tests anywhere, not only the route they have been practicing repeatedly. If this isn't the case then I would worry as to whether they were ready to be behind a wheel without instruction. :eek:

In the ideal world ye but that is impracticable, our neares dual carridgeway is over 100 miles away, unless you practice on the Dounreay one.
If you live in Shetland or Orkney this is worse, how about the Western isles. you cannot expect folk to travel such distances to learn to drive.

How to drive on roundabouts, dueal carridgeways and motorways is covered in the theory test, as for the practical then you can only pass water with the equipemnt available to you I am afraid.

Duncansby
09-Sep-11, 10:20
As the majority of road accidents occur on rural roads it's these skills which should be worked on.

Forcing people to sit a test in Inverness will just exclude those who can't afford to do so and for areas like ours which rely so heavily on personal transport it will only act to exclude folk further as they can't access work, education etc.

orkneycadian
09-Sep-11, 10:25
Having just passed my test in past 6 months and living in wick there would be no way I would even consider "manning up" and taking test in a different town.

That would be a bit like sitting highers only if you have seen the paper before hand and knew what the questions could be! Hmmm, hang on, about these ever increasing higher pass rates....

mi16
09-Sep-11, 10:29
That would be a bit like sitting highers only if you have seen the paper before hand and knew what the questions could be! Hmmm, hang on, about these ever increasing higher pass rates....

Well not really the pass criteria is the pass criteria.
You only really learnt to drive once you have passed anyway

Scarybiscuits03
09-Sep-11, 10:40
In the ideal world ye but that is impracticable, our neares dual carridgeway is over 100 miles away, unless you practice on the Dounreay one.
If you live in Shetland or Orkney this is worse, how about the Western isles. you cannot expect folk to travel such distances to learn to drive.

How to drive on roundabouts, dueal carridgeways and motorways is covered in the theory test, as for the practical then you can only pass water with the equipemnt available to you I am afraid.

It may be impractable but how many young lads and lassies get behind the wheel just after passing their tests and then manage to afford a trip to Inverness? With all their friends packed neatly into the remaining seats - not knowing which lane they should be in for the oncoming roundabout or not checking their blind spot on the dual carriagways.
How many of these P plates would be sure of what lane to be in at the roundabout at Stoneyfield? Very few....
Knowing what to do and putting it into practice are two entirely different things. You dont have time to stop and think like you do in your theory test......

mi16
09-Sep-11, 11:23
It may be impractable but how many young lads and lassies get behind the wheel just after passing their tests and then manage to afford a trip to Inverness? With all their friends packed neatly into the remaining seats - not knowing which lane they should be in for the oncoming roundabout or not checking their blind spot on the dual carriagways.
How many of these P plates would be sure of what lane to be in at the roundabout at Stoneyfield? Very few....
Knowing what to do and putting it into practice are two entirely different things. You dont have time to stop and think like you do in your theory test......

If they dont know the lane they should be in they either A) dont know where they are going or B) cannot read the signage.
Your blind spot is your blind spot, incidentally you do you check a blind spot whilst driving?
Where is Stoneyfield?
Does anyone use P plates

Affording a onew off trip to Inverness is one thing but the average number of lessons in the UK is 40 so to learn in the city you are looking at 40 trips to Inverness, that is nuts. Look at all the people that would go out of business in the process.
As others have stated statistically rurar roads are the worst for fatalaties so why not concentrate on that.

gingernut
09-Sep-11, 12:29
My daughter passed her test in Thurso but is now living in Edinburgh. She has no experience of driving in a city and will probably have to have some driving lessons there before she's safe.
I think there should be a system where learner drivers in rural areas such as Caithness, Sutherland, Western Isles etc. have to have some of their lessons in a city such as Inverness where they'll get experience of dual carriageways, multi-laned roundabouts etc. etc. Similarly city based learners should have to go out onto more rural B roads. These experiences would have to be documented on some sort of record before people can even apply for their test.

mi16
09-Sep-11, 12:40
My daughter passed her test in Thurso but is now living in Edinburgh. She has no experience of driving in a city and will probably have to have some driving lessons there before she's safe.
I think there should be a system where learner drivers in rural areas such as Caithness, Sutherland, Western Isles etc. have to have some of their lessons in a city such as Inverness where they'll get experience of dual carriageways, multi-laned roundabouts etc. etc. Similarly city based learners should have to go out onto more rural B roads. These experiences would have to be documented on some sort of record before people can even apply for their test.

How can you expect a person to go all the way to Inverness to drive on these roads, perhaps a simulator would be the better solution.
I dont think driving school cars are insured for people with a full liscence if I remember correctly, so I dont thionk your daughter could do that. Maybe get an instructer to sit in with her or and advanced motoring tutor.

On a side note I took and advanced driving class at the end of last year, it was very good indeed, well worth it and funnily enough very little of the driving was in the city, he told me to make haste to the country.

Duncansby
09-Sep-11, 12:53
The skills taught by an instructor in Wick or Thurso should be transferable to a more built up area and it may be down to the individual drivers confidence rather than necessarily competence. I have a friend who took a few lessons in Edinburgh as she hadn't driven for a long time and wanted a 'refresher' so it is possible. I passed my test in 1997 but I'm still learning - it tends to be the folk who think of themselves as good drivers that are the least competent as they think they have nothing more to learn.

northener
09-Sep-11, 14:47

C3...............

Unfortunately, your 'idea' would be unworkable. You cannot lug half the population 100 miles South to give them 'big road' experience, just the same as you cannot take the townies out into the sticks to get them used to single track roads/passing places in many places. I reckon I could come up with a list of test centres in inner city areas where students will be lucky if they ever get up to 40mph - let alone deal with high-speed multi-lane situations.

The situation is far from ideal up here, though. Opportunities for coaching overtaking are few and far between - you only have to look at the abysmal overtaking skills of many up here to realise that this is a big problem - and not one that is restricted to younger drivers.

Regarding the crash statistics for younger drivers - yes they are far too high. They are coming down, but you are dealing with drivers who are at an age where they are almost psychologically programmed to risk take and who take enjoyment from 'pushing' themselves to the limit. Lecturing and punitive measures will never eradicate human nature. If they worked - they would have a long time ago.

Going off at a tangent: Generally speaking, it is not 'new drivers' who I see on the road bullying other road users, acting aggressively and making bad decisions - it is invariably older and allegedly more 'experienced' drivers who are the culprits. The younger ones tend to be the ones travelling too quick for their own skill level and the road conditions.

C3...........;)

I'd withdraw that statement or prove it, if I were you....;)

Corrie 3
09-Sep-11, 14:58
I'd withdraw that statement or prove it, if I were you....;)
I can only go on my own experience and that of others Northerner, my instructor taught me what the examiner would be looking for. He didnt teach me to drive in snow or ice and I wonder how many people pass their tests up here without even overtaking a moving vehicle?

C3............................:roll:;)

northener
09-Sep-11, 15:59
I can only go on my own experience and that of others Northerner, my instructor taught me what the examiner would be looking for. .....

How long ago was that, Corrie? And could you give me some tangible examples of how driving post-test is different to driving on the test? You've stated that students are being taught to 'pass a test' - so using your post test experiences I'd like you to explain where the differences lie.

He didnt teach me to drive in snow or ice and I wonder how many people pass their tests up here without even overtaking a moving vehicle?

Well, it's difficult to teach people how to drive in adverse conditions that aren't there, but certainly it should be at least covered anyway. Regarding passing test without actually overtaking in a live situation? - yes, I know folk who have passed without actually doing it - and it's a worry.

But I also know people who have passed their test without ever having to deal with more than one car on a roundabout - so what can do? Fail someone for something out of their control? If people were failed because the traffic conditions didn't allow a reasonable display of all aspects of driving then there'd be no .... on the road at all!:Razz

Corrie 3
09-Sep-11, 16:39
Northerner,
I think the second part of your post sum's up very nicely the fact that tests ought to be taken in Inverness. If people are taking their tests with only having to deal with one car on a roundabout and have never overtaken moving cars it is a big worry for all concerned.
My own test in 1964 (yes, you might well laugh)!! was typical of the day. My instructor didnt teach me to drive, my Father did that but I kept failing the test (which is no surprise). The examiner told me to get a few lessons and get the instructor to teach me the "fine details" of how to pass! I had 6 lessons and passed and in those 6 lessons my instructor taught me nothing except how to please the examiner. And just to finish off with a smile, my lessons were 15 shillings an hour (75p) and it was £1 to take the test and £1 for your licence.
Nearly 50 years of driving and I am still learning, I think everytime you take your car on the road you learn something new. I have only had one accident (thank goodness) and that was a 50/50 but everytime I go out on the road I am fully aware that my time for a bad accident can increase with every mile I drive. I know that I am as vulnerable as the next person when it comes to having an accident on the roads.
Sorry to go on but I do worry that we are losing far too many youngsters on our roads today and it is all totally unnecessary !!

Safe driving everyone, keep your eyes peeled and easy on the gas!!!

C3........:eek::roll::)

mi16
09-Sep-11, 18:04
A driving simulator is the answer, hers is my proposal.
Take a normal theory and driving test but between the two a one hour driving simulation test could be caried out, there you could experience snow, ice, motorway, single track, blind bends and every hazard imagineable in a safe and controlled manner.
Would be pricey to implement though maybe a couple of hundred quid for every test to cover it.

Corrie 3
10-Sep-11, 09:04
A driving simulator is the answer, hers is my proposal.
Take a normal theory and driving test but between the two a one hour driving simulation test could be caried out, there you could experience snow, ice, motorway, single track, blind bends and every hazard imagineable in a safe and controlled manner.
Would be pricey to implement though maybe a couple of hundred quid for every test to cover it.
Good idea mi16, I agree with you and anything that brings down this terrible death toll has got to be good!!

C3............:)

mi16
10-Sep-11, 09:11
Yes it is a great idea.
Do you fancy funding my cunning plan to get this off the ground?
I could make you rich beyond your wildest dreams, oh yes and the new drivers safer.

Corrie 3
10-Sep-11, 10:15
Yes it is a great idea.
Do you fancy funding my cunning plan to get this off the ground?
I could make you rich beyond your wildest dreams, oh yes and the new drivers safer.
Sorry mi16, I cant afford to finance it as I am only a poor old pensioner.....;) But what I will do is write to the Transport Minister in London with your idea and see what reply I get, it should be interesting.
If/when I get a reply I will post it on the Forum.
Brilliant idea, well done again!!

C3..........................:)

Humerous Vegetable
10-Sep-11, 10:30
;) But what I will do is write to the Transport Minister in London with your idea and see what reply I get, it should be interesting.

I think you'll find that Scotland has it's own transport minister at Holyrood. His name is Keith Brown and you can email him from the Scottish Parliament website.

mi16
10-Sep-11, 12:21
I think you'll find that Scotland has it's own transport minister at Holyrood. His name is Keith Brown and you can email him from the Scottish Parliament website.

No lets bypass the monkey and take it to the organ grinder.
No mickey mouse MSP will have any durstiction over the DSA.

mi16
10-Sep-11, 12:22
Sorry mi16, I cant afford to finance it as I am only a poor old pensioner.....;) But what I will do is write to the Transport Minister in London with your idea and see what reply I get, it should be interesting.

C3 you could be a very wealthy OAP though, only for a small outlay of say £35,000

theone
10-Sep-11, 12:33
Northerner,
I think the second part of your post sum's up very nicely the fact that tests ought to be taken in Inverness. If people are taking their tests with only having to deal with one car on a roundabout and have never overtaken moving cars it is a big worry for all concerned.

And by the same token surely we should take the people of Inverness up to Bettyhill to learn how to drive on single track roads with sheep on the carriageway and tour buses which won't use passing spaces....

A test can never show that you can cope with all eventualities. Road conditions, traffic, weather etc are too unpredicatable for that.

All the test can do is prove to an examiner that you can safely drive the car in the prevailing conditions, showing an awareness for other road users and hazards.

There's definately too many accidents caused by young inexperienced drivers, but I don't think the test is the problem or the solution. Experience might give a driver a better appreciation for what speed a corner might safely be taken, but there is no solution to stupidity or reckless behaviour.

mi16
10-Sep-11, 13:02
And by the same token surely we should take the people of Inverness up to Bettyhill to learn how to drive on single track roads with sheep on the carriageway and tour buses which won't use passing spaces....

A test can never show that you can cope with all eventualities. Road conditions, traffic, weather etc are too unpredicatable for that.

All the test can do is prove to an examiner that you can safely drive the car in the prevailing conditions, showing an awareness for other road users and hazards.

There's definately too many accidents caused by young inexperienced drivers, but I don't think the test is the problem or the solution. Experience might give a driver a better appreciation for what speed a corner might safely be taken, but there is no solution to stupidity or reckless behaviour.

Not necessary, there are single track roads around about the Inverness area. Munlochy for example

northener
10-Sep-11, 13:25
Not necessary, there are single track roads around about the Inverness area. Munlochy for example

As I stated earlier, it is difficult for anyone taking a test in a built up area to get up to 40mph in many cases, let alone deal with single-track and rural driving conditions.

Aberdeen, Glasgow and Embra spring to mind. You cannot use one provincial town as a national example.

mi16
10-Sep-11, 17:32
Aberdeen you can be in the sticks maybe not single track but B roads for sure in around 10 mins.
Granted Edinburgh and Glasgow a wee bit longer but not much

But fear not once the mi16 driving simulator goes national you could be on the franch alms in the click of a mouse.

Koi
10-Sep-11, 22:25

Ah yes the circles painted on the ground that noone seems to know how to use!!!

Koi
10-Sep-11, 22:44
I can only go on my own experience and that of others Northerner, my instructor taught me what the examiner would be looking for. He didnt teach me to drive in snow or ice and I wonder how many people pass their tests up here without even overtaking a moving vehicle?

My partner taught me how to overtake and my instructor taught me how to handle a spin in snow. He taught me what not to ie do not use your brakes, use your gears. I am actually terrified of driving in snow after an accident last year in it in which we lost our car. This year our car is better but i am still terrified and will properly refuse to drive in snow. Not the best take but its better that i know my fear and that i could put other people at risk by freaking out behind the wheel. When my instructor taught me how to get out of a spin i was terrified and couldn't do it for very long. I do want to overcome this fear and perhaps this winter i will with some help from my partner who is amazing in snowy conditions. Our car got stuck last year but it got stuck parked. To get it parked my partner laboured for half an hour digging a path in which he could get the car up the road to swing it in doing a handbrake turn. Amazing. As much as he has his bad points as a driver i have to be amazed at his skills. I just hope that this winter with his help i can get over my fear and be able to drive in the snow. With a young son its not ideal to be stuck. I do hope that one day i will have half the skill my partner does. Without my partner and my instructor's teachings i don't think i could even think i could drive in snow. Yes some instructors will not take their students out in the snow if it is bad but then why would you go driving in snow when you are likely to get stuck anyway?

mi16
11-Sep-11, 07:24
Back in the day we used to go out in the snow drifts just to see what we could get through, it was great fun.