PDA

View Full Version : Oh come on!!!!

Corrie 3
07-Sep-11, 16:26
How can a bit of knitted wool cause so much trouble that a Woman is up before the beak?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-14820797

This is political correctness gone mad !!!!

So if I were to show a doll in my window with dark skin, slanting eyes, or draped in a George Cross will I be prosecuted?
And what happens if a black family have a white faced doll in their window, do they go to court also.....Come on, we all have to live together, lets get on with it without this animosity!!!

C3.............:eek::eek:[disgust]

teddybear1873
07-Sep-11, 16:34
I wonder if they still have them on jam jars?

ducati
07-Sep-11, 16:35
How can a bit of knitted wool cause so much trouble that a Woman is up before the beak?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-14820797

This is political correctness gone mad !!!!

So if I were to show a doll in my window with dark skin, slanting eyes, or draped in a George Cross will I be prosecuted?
And what happens if a black family have a white faced doll in their window, do they go to court also.....Come on, we all have to live together, lets get on with it without this animosity!!!

I would say, as they think they can prosicute, then there is a lot more to this story.

Rheghead
07-Sep-11, 17:15

You are comparing apples with oranges here.

The difference being is that golliwog is a derogatory caricature of a black person with overtones of slavery, prejudice and subjugation. I know a pedant will Google and contend that and come up with another origin, it changes nothing, what really matters is what a golliwog represents to many today.

On the other hand if you dressed up a dark-skinned doll which is a real representation of a human being in a Union Jack then I think nobody would bat an eyelid unless it was positioned in an unfavorable manner.

Corrie 3
07-Sep-11, 17:32
Sorry Rheg but I used to sleep with a Golly, I loved it to bits and wouldn't go to bed without it. I didn't see it as a symbol of slavery etc, I saw it as a friend who used to comfort me while I was in bed. And I used to love the Golly on Robertson's jam and marmalade and used to collect all the metal badges that they gave away in promotions.
I have no doubt that my Golly ended up on my bedroom windowsill at times..(but my pillow was his favourite place)..I just cant see how a bit of knitted wool can upset anyone let alone be associated to slavery!!!
As the title says..."Oh come on" !!!!!

C3............:eek:[disgust]

Rheghead
07-Sep-11, 17:38
Sorry Rheg but I used to sleep with a Golly, I loved it to bits and wouldn't go to bed without it. I didn't see it as a symbol of slavery etc, I saw it as a friend who used to comfort me while I was in bed. And I used to love the Golly on Robertson's jam and marmalade and used to collect all the metal badges that they gave away in promotions.
I have no doubt that my Golly ended up on my bedroom windowsill at times..(but my pillow was his favourite place)..I just cant see how a bit of knitted wool can upset anyone let alone be associated to slavery!!!
As the title says..."Oh come on" !!!!!

C3............:eek:[disgust]

And so did I, but how I felt towards my golliwog is not what is at issue in this case.

annemarie482
07-Sep-11, 18:18
You are comparing apples with oranges here.

The difference being is that golliwog is a derogatory caricature of a black person with overtones of slavery, prejudice and subjugation. I know a pedant will Google and contend that and come up with another origin, it changes nothing, what really matters is what a golliwog represents to many today.

On the other hand if you dressed up a dark-skinned doll which is a real representation of a human being in a Union Jack then I think nobody would bat an eyelid unless it was positioned in an unfavorable manner.

did you know that the first and last shop in john o groats sells golliwogs?!
i was shocked to see them as i thought they'd been banned.
surely if it was such an issue this wouldnt be allowed?

personally i think we're damned if we do damned if we dont.
race is an issue that will always be questioned, and me being "white" (if i really must be labelled) makes me even less entitiled to speak of it without Persecution.
(a personal view)

orkneycadian
07-Sep-11, 18:20
And what happens if a black family have a white faced doll in their window, do they go to court also

You could set fire to it if you wanted, and no one would bat an eyelid....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Z3IgfzYD0

pat
07-Sep-11, 18:22
Probably find they sell "Gollies" or "Golly" which is acceptable to be politically correct.

annemarie482
07-Sep-11, 18:23
so does that mean its the word rather than the image that is the issue?!

pat
07-Sep-11, 18:32
It is the word usually - know it is unacceptable word for broadcasting.

There must be more to this than appears.

Rheghead
07-Sep-11, 18:40
did you know that the first and last shop in john o groats sells golliwogs?!
i was shocked to see them as i thought they'd been banned.
surely if it was such an issue this wouldnt be allowed?

personally i think we're damned if we do damned if we dont.
race is an issue that will always be questioned, and me being "white" (if i really must be labelled) makes me even less entitiled to speak of it without Persecution.
(a personal view)

I don't use the John O'Groats shops for my yardstick on racial harmony but if you were shocked to see them being sold, imagine how someone who would feel if they find golliwogs offensive.

RecQuery
07-Sep-11, 18:46
So should I be offended (read butt-hurt) if somone puts a doll or action figure in their window? just because I'm a white man that doesn't mean my opinions are to be ignored in favour of minorities or members of groups who have victim complexes, that in itself would be bigotry.

orkneycadian
07-Sep-11, 18:51
I feel quite aggrieved that the window did not contain a fair cross section of the ethnic spread of this country. Whilst there was a black doll, I understand there were no whites, asians, Latinos, Aborigines, gay or disabled dolls and will be writing to my MP to complain....

Corrie 3
07-Sep-11, 19:04
so does that mean its the word rather than the image that is the issue?!
Yes Annemarie it does.
I was always taught that WOG was a Westernised Oriental Gentleman and not a negro but more like Arab, this was told to me from someone who came back from WW2 with tails of WOGS from his time in N.Africa.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/christopherhowse/8288667/golliwog_is_not_connected_with_wog/

This is why I am struggling to come to terms with anyone being offended by the Golliwog which to me is a wooly knitted friend!!

C3..............:eek::roll:

mi16
07-Sep-11, 19:06
As someone posted earlier, IMO there is much more to this than meets the eye.
Probably waving at some coloured folks outside or something.

Walter Ego
07-Sep-11, 19:08
I am outraged by ginger 'Jimmy' wigs as a stereotype of a Scotchman. No-one in my family is a ginger...we've made sure of that.....

Corrie 3
07-Sep-11, 19:19
I am outraged by ginger 'Jimmy' wigs as a stereotype of a Scotchman. No-one in my family is a ginger...we've made sure of that.....
Is your Milkman a blonde then Walter???

C3.............:eek::roll:;)

mi16
07-Sep-11, 19:38
Milkperson Corrie
dont be so sexist

Corrie 3
07-Sep-11, 19:46
Milkperson Corrie
dont be so sexist
Sorry mi16, it's one of my failings, not being PC......lol

C3................:roll::roll:;)

ducati
07-Sep-11, 22:15
It's my understanding that attidudes and perceptions change over the years. We develop as a society. It is not a virtue if yours haven't in 50 years :roll:

Walter Ego
08-Sep-11, 08:11
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8743065/Tourist-complains-about-sight-of-fish-in-harbour.html

Corrie 3
08-Sep-11, 08:27
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8743065/Tourist-complains-about-sight-of-fish-in-harbour.html
Sounds a bit fishy to me Walter!!!

C3............;)

Corrie 3
08-Sep-11, 08:30
It's my understanding that attidudes and perceptions change over the years. We develop as a society. It is not a virtue if yours haven't in 50 years :roll:
As someone stated earlier Duke, why not just call them Golly's. Why should thousands of children be deprived of this popular figure just because someone gets upset at the word Wog!!!
I am not sure that it's myself that wants to change, it's all the hand wringing lilly livered PC idiots that are ruining this country!!

C3............;)

ducati
08-Sep-11, 08:33
As someone stated earlier Duke, why not just call them Golly's. Why should thousands of children be deprived of this popular figure just because someone gets upset at the word Wog!!!
I am not sure that it's myself that wants to change, it's all the hand wringing lilly livered PC idiots that are ruining this country!!

C3............;)

I'm sure these items were always offensive. But we have developed as a society and now understand this. It used to be good sport to shoot fuzzy wuzzys.

Oh and C3. Of course you don't want to change, why shouldn't the world accommodate you? That is kind of my point.

George Brims
08-Sep-11, 21:11
I'm outraged that a third-rate English comedian made all that money off them.

Corrie 3
24-Oct-11, 12:50
Seem's like common sense prevailed in this case...quite right too!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-15429369

C3................:roll:

mi16
24-Oct-11, 14:02
looked like a lack of evidence to me