PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Carrier Bags Conundrum

Niall Fernie
06-Oct-06, 17:23
I've been asked by Nick Gellatly from Tesco to put up this poll to help them decide what to do with their carrier bags.

The new Tesco store in Wick (which opens on 27th November) is the company's first timber-framed environmental store and that means they're looking to do the right thing for the environment once the store opens too.

Since launching green Clubcard points a few weeks ago, Tesco customers are using 10 million fewer carrier bags every week across the UK. What do you think about carrier bags?

Should Tesco put them at the end of the checkouts so you can help yourself to as many as you want or only give them out when you ask for one? You're votes will make the decision for them.
As usual, I'm sure your comments will be more than welcome...

_Ju_
06-Oct-06, 17:28
If they are there, you tend to make no effort to ration use. If you ask for them you are thinking about what you are using and why they are not there.:D

Piglet
06-Oct-06, 17:30
-I think ask for them as they are trying to promote green points so you will automaticly get them unless you ask for bags.

George Brims
06-Oct-06, 17:32
Do Tesco offer
(a) re-usable cloth bags for a small charge, similar to the ones you can get at, for instance, M&S?
(b) a bin into which you can place carrier bags for recycling, once you've built up such a collection of them you can't shut the cabinet door under the sink?

Billy Boy
06-Oct-06, 17:32
we should ask for them if we need them, then maybe we wouldnt see so many lying about on the streets

Tristan
06-Oct-06, 17:37
I think the idea of green bag points is good BUT there are so many other more damaging examples of excess packaging that need to be looked at if the scheme is not to be seen as a PR stunt.

Ann
06-Oct-06, 17:38
Do Tesco offer
(a) re-usable cloth bags for a small charge, similar to the ones you can get at, for instance, M&S?
(b) a bin into which you can place carrier bags for recycling, once you've built up such a collection of them you can't shut the cabinet door under the sink?
George, Get a dog then you can use up your carrier bags as poo picker uppers! ;)

Think it is about time I started up a shopping bag factory for all us green minded shoppers.

lassieinfife
06-Oct-06, 18:53
Everyone should be using lifetime bags anyway..... the cheep free ones just tear and you tend to use more for doubling up

Max
06-Oct-06, 19:00
I think you should have to ask for them, however once the internet shopping is up and running in Jan I intend to shop on my computer - I can hardly wait!!!!

changilass
06-Oct-06, 19:32
We reuse our bags as doggy poo bags, but I still think it would be better to have to ask for them, maybe they could have a stand somewhere in store for folks to pick up the free poo bags whilst in store:D

Dreadnought
06-Oct-06, 19:50
How about option 3? Charge 3p each for them. Aldi do this and it works, people use far fewer bags, and the majority buy the hard wearing reusable bags.

molly
06-Oct-06, 21:03
If people were to ask for bags they would use fewer. I also think bags should always be free. People would rather pay a 1p more on some items than have to pay for each bag. I know it is a silly way of thinking but it is very true. The amount of people coming out of lidls carrying shopping in their arms is proof that they would do this rather than pay for a bag

northener
06-Oct-06, 21:21
I believe that they have 'outlawed' freebie bags in Eire. Does anyone know if this is having a positive impact?

Fran
06-Oct-06, 21:31
Tesco also do the bag for life for 10p, if it breaks you get another one. I think this is sufficient, though I always hand in my carrier bags to the charity shops.

Bakerbhoy
06-Oct-06, 21:34
They certainly have stopped free carriers, instead I think you pay something like 10 or 15p for them, my aunty was over on holiday in july and went home with her case fill of old carriers that we didn't use. Why don't stores put out their old cartons for customers to use, mind years ago they used to have a stack in places like the coop and one box would do all your shopping. Then you just had to put it in the boot for your next trip!!!

WeeBurd
06-Oct-06, 21:41
They certainly have stopped free carriers, instead I think you pay something like 10 or 15p for them, my aunty was over on holiday in july and went home with her case fill of old carriers that we didn't use. Why don't stores put out their old cartons for customers to use, mind years ago they used to have a stack in places like the coop and one box would do all your shopping. Then you just had to put it in the boot for your next trip!!!

Yep, I have a sturdy veg box from Lidls that is used to collect our paper for recycling during the week. Come the weekend, we take the full box to Lidls, recycle the papers in the bank there, and use our box for the shopping, and so the cycle begins again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for conveniece (I use the free bags in the Co-Op/Somerfields), but when the option is taken away from me (Lidls), then I use the green option. So I'd say, no free bags at the checkout.

Bobinovich
06-Oct-06, 21:55
Definately don't make carrier bags freely available - keep your bags for life and plenty of folding boxes in store at a permanently reasonable price and people will buy and use them instead. They're so useful for everyday use anyway and are easy to store in the back of the car for future visits.

_Ju_
06-Oct-06, 22:41
Do Tesco offer

a)Like other supermarkets they have the bag for life scheme (you buy the first, when it breaks you can exchange free of charge for new).
b) I have noticed collection bins for recycling bags outside of several tescos, including the one in Dingwall.

nightowl
07-Oct-06, 01:18
I think they should go "the whole hog" and charge for the carriers. IKEA now offer the big blue bags for 25 pence and biodegradeable corn starch carriers for 10 pence - no more plastic bags from them. Hopefully, Tesco will soon follow suit. I'm sure it wouldn't take long for us all to get into the habit of taking re-usables when we go shopping.

j4bberw0ck
07-Oct-06, 08:08
The Irish introduced a European-style Bag Tax and there have been proposals to do the same in Scotland. I realise no one's said the T word here, yet, but there's an interesting counter-view from the Scottish Retail Consortium >>>here<<< (http://forum.caithness.org/www.brc.org.uk/Downloads/SRCResponsePlastic%20Bags19Mar04.doc) (downloadable Word doc).

Assuming that the customer reaction to charging for bags by the shopkeeper is the same as reaction to paying a government tax, the effects of charging for bags on theft levels, and on sales of heavier-gauge (so more environmentally damaging) plastic bags, are interesting.

Mind you, if you can wrap it up in "saving the planet" language, people will become very irrational, very quickly. Personally, I'd much rather see additional charges levied on fast food sellers for clearing up the mess their customers make every weekend, and every lunchtime (when the kids are in school).

unicorn
07-Oct-06, 09:51
I use the plastic folding boxes, I just store them in the car so they are always at hand.

elaine
07-Oct-06, 11:27
I voted for the "ask for them" option.
I try to remember to take my own bags to Tescos and I love the green points system! Sometimes though, I inevitably forget and need to use carriers (I wouldn't mind paying for them though and would feel better about it if they were biodegradable). I'm sure they will have a re-cycle bin for used ones - our one has that.

Why can't they make biodegradable bin-liners? Bin-liners are my biggest guilt purchase because I use the cheapy ones to line the cat litter try so end up going through loads! Ohhh, the shame.............(*skulks off*)

The Big Fish
07-Oct-06, 12:38
We have to look at reducing plastics and now is the time with a new store. It is simple the more something costs the more you look after it. Ive seen neds buying their usual nutritional pie lunches from shops and the first thing to hit the ground is the FREE carrier bag shortly followed by the wrappers. How many of us have cleared the cupboard of 50 bags because we have had too many and they go in the bin just so we can start collecting again. Plastic bags have littered our seas for years and cross the world where they are eaten by turtles who think they are squid , they cannot digest them and die. don't think I've ever seen a turtle in Caithness but it might be worth checking doon l e harbour just in case! Seriously ....

CHARGE LOADS FOR BAGS AND WE WILL REUSE THEM![evil]

Liz
07-Oct-06, 13:44
I have voted for them to be only given when asked for but it would be much better if people used the 'bag for life' or something similar as even if the bag is biodegradable(which is a really good thing) they still pose a threat to animals if they are thrown away.
I know someone whose Goat died after eating a carrier bag!

I've also seen them entangled in hedges and trees![mad]

Plastics in general should be reduced ie unnecessary packaging.

Dreadnought
07-Oct-06, 13:46
Ive seen neds buying their usual nutritional pie lunches from shops and the first thing to hit the ground is the FREE carrier bag shortly followed by the wrappers.

Maybe part of the answer is to tackle the morons who throw their litter in the street.

Liz
07-Oct-06, 13:46
Why can't they make biodegradable bin-liners? Bin-liners are my biggest guilt purchase because I use the cheapy ones to line the cat litter try so end up going through loads! Ohhh, the shame.............(*skulks off*)

Elaine you can get biodegradable bin liners from www.goodnessdirect.co.uk

They also have biodegradable freezer bags.

The WWF online shop also sell them.:D

pat
07-Oct-06, 15:36
Always have IKEA large blue bags in boot of car for shopping but find recycle plastic bin full of packaging (from mainly food) by end of two weeks when it is due for collection. Too much packaging and rewrapping around, buy the smallest thin and shops insist on putting it in a plastic bag even when you ask them not to - they say you must have it for security, I usually say I have my receipt to prove I have paid and give them back the plastic bags - wish I could give them back all the wrapping too.

cuddlepop
07-Oct-06, 18:01
I'd rather not have to ask for them.In our house we use them for dog poo bags too.Any surplus goes to the charity shops.Also use them to line my own waste paper bins.
Maybe we should start another thread.
100 ways to use your carrier bags.:D

danc1ngwitch
07-Oct-06, 18:24
Maybe a small thought . would be great if the girls and guys on the check outs had the ability to pack our bags as they scan items. They do this in Australia and it busts long Q's. And bags get packed properly and without the customer becoming frustrated at being to slow or held back by children. Well just a thought.

Dreadnought
07-Oct-06, 18:29
I'd rather not have to ask for them.In our house we use them for dog poo bags too.Any surplus goes to the charity shops.

I know charity shops need all the help we can give, but what could they possibly want with your surplus dog poo?

cuddlepop
07-Oct-06, 18:37
Foot in mouth,I'm notorious for that and being misunderstood,not being able to spell properly ,being indesisive.Better stop will get my self depressed.
away to practice my mantra.....
I am a wonderful person etc.:Razz

badger
07-Oct-06, 19:06
Interesting that the actual voting is pretty close although most posts seem to be against overuse of bags. I have some very old ones from Waitrose - must be 6 or 7 years old - which are beginning to get a bit tatty but the 10p "bags for life" last quite a long time as well. I only use the store free bags if I've run right out of bin liners but will look at that site for biodegradables - thanks for the link, Liz

Wish the people who do bagpacking for charities would encourage people to use their own bags - not that I like having my bags packed anyway as they don't get sorted as I want. Still give a donation because it's hard to walk past. All they need do is ask.

Lidl have a good system - a selection of differently priced bags.

sweetpea
07-Oct-06, 19:24
I use a cloth bag for my shopping. Other than that I have a big bag for life as well.

Ann
07-Oct-06, 23:37
Maybe a small thought . would be great if the girls and guys on the check outs had the ability to pack our bags as they scan items. They do this in Australia and it busts long Q's. And bags get packed properly and without the customer becoming frustrated at being to slow or held back by children. Well just a thought.

I notice they do just that in the Castletown shop! Much appreciated too!

mccaugm
07-Oct-06, 23:57
I think you should have to ask for them, however once the internet shopping is up and running in Jan I intend to shop on my computer - I can hardly wait!!!!

I hope Tesco staff in Caithness are as well trained and friendly as the chaps (and occasionally ladies) who used to deliver my shopping in Ross-Shire. They could not do enough for you and were generally early as opposed to late. You are given a 2 hour slot of your choosing, when you place an order its kept on file so you can reorder the same stuff the next week should you wish. It so easy...I loved it. There are some items they do not deliver such as clothes. However they will always give you an alternative if an item is out of stock on the day of packing. You are free to refuse the item and are reimbursed quickly. Bring on the deliveries...

airdlass
08-Oct-06, 09:46
Tesco Home delivery also take back all your carrier bags for recycling. Recently I've noticed that they use far less bags for your shopping - it's all loose in the trays which took a bit of getting used to.

robglysen
08-Oct-06, 10:45
Well, we went to somerfields and had big plastic LIDL bags, so we shoved all the shopping back in the trolley and bagged it at the car so as not to cause any hassle.
As long as you can buy big plastic bags at the till and we remember to put them in the car, everyones happy! (as long as you have the right bag for the right supermarket!)

Karen Spruce
08-Oct-06, 15:41
Hi

I have put only when asked for. Why not use strong brown paper carriers, as they would be more environmentally friendly, and customers do need some sort of bag to put their shopping in. Is their any method of making a cellulose bag based on tree fibres.

Best wishes

Karen Spruce

_Ju_
08-Oct-06, 17:51
Well, we went to somerfields and had big plastic LIDL bags, so we shoved all the shopping back in the trolley and bagged it at the car so as not to cause any hassle.
As long as you can buy big plastic bags at the till and we remember to put them in the car, everyones happy! (as long as you have the right bag for the right supermarket!)

LOL, I was just wondering why you bagged only at the car? I don't get it. I use whichever bags I have when I go to which ever supermarket... have I commited the ultimate gaff????

PS: even paper bags are pollutent. You find this out very quickly when living close to a papermill, as I have.

saxovtr
08-Oct-06, 20:11
taking your car there to shop is polluting the enviroment,why be so bothered about bags?home delivery i say.......

Ricco
08-Oct-06, 23:11
I've got some very strong bags from Sainburys that have a reinforced bottom. They are used over and over, so I very rarely use carrier bags any more. Wish more supermarkets did them. Even Sainsbugs have changed to a cheaper one.

The Big Fish
09-Oct-06, 04:19
How about recycling all the local papers into bags cos lets face it for a change it would be nice to find something in the Groat.

saxo - are you recommending home delivery over a 128mph bare nuckle ride to the shops ..........surely not? where's your sense of adventure? if you were to do your own shopping you could burn some rubber as you throw your trolley around the aisles, carefully slowing down if you sight any Watten residents..........maybe even sneak into the trolley bay late into the night and cleverly customise your own trolley with some low profile tyres for the next days racing..............chance to take the scooby driver who is now restricted to a bog standard trolley.......................he shoots.....[lol]

WeeBurd
09-Oct-06, 10:06
Hi

I have put only when asked for. Why not use strong brown paper carriers, as they would be more environmentally friendly, and customers do need some sort of bag to put their shopping in. Is their any method of making a cellulose bag based on tree fibres.

Best wishes

Karen Spruce

Many years ago I worked in a shop which used the large brown paper sacks for a short time - IMO they look great in the movies, but were pretty useless in practice... :confused

jaykay
09-Oct-06, 12:47
I think that the plastic carrier bags should be readily available at the checkouts.

aileenmac
10-Oct-06, 20:21
I think all shops should be made to use bio-degradable bags!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Oct-06, 21:29
Yer own choice.Bring yer own or take some more.Handy for insulating the hoose....saves a fortune.:D

sam
12-Oct-06, 15:53
Many years ago I worked in a shop which used the large brown paper sacks for a short time - IMO they look great in the movies, but were pretty useless in practice... :confused

is that cos when it rains all your left with is a soggy mess and the shopping all over the ground?:roll: they used to use them in some of the supermarket down south

wifie
13-Oct-06, 20:03
Why pay for what is really advertising for the supermarket? Give up the carrier habit! PS Home delivery costs and will you be doing that for just a couple of items?

JAWS
13-Oct-06, 20:32
First invent an imaginary visible problem. Then scream loudly that it is out of control and needs an immediate solution to save whatever is the latest scare. Finally say that the solution is to tax it. Then sit back and watch the pounds roll in happy in the knowledge that the public think it was all for their benefit!

Before anybody thinks that banning plastic bags will solve anything just check how many things just in your living room contain Oil Based Products in them in it's various forms. Find an electrical product in your home which does not contain plastic. Check how many liquid containers you have around which contain no plastic. Check how many articles of clothing you have which do not contain nylon or some similar oil based product.

Banning plastic bags will not make one scrap of difference to the planet and almost all the alternatives involve destroying more and more forests.

The whole nonsense was created as a pretend solution to a non-existent problem by Politicians trying to curry favour.

If you think that plastic bags are a curse on Humanity then don't use them. If people don't use them then the shops cease to provide them and the problem will go away of it's own accord.

Of course there is a draw back to that happening. Nobody in authority will be able to bask in the glory of having "Saved the World" and even worse, there are no votes in that solution.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
13-Oct-06, 20:46
Why pay for what is really advertising for the supermarket? Give up the carrier habit! PS Home delivery costs and will you be doing that for just a couple of items?

I collect carrier bags.I framed my Harrods one.:lol: :lol:

wifie
14-Oct-06, 17:25
To sadly quote Tescos - Every Little Helps Trans: Many a mickle macks a muckle!

wifie
14-Oct-06, 22:39
Was it no use for linin' your walls?

Rheghead
16-Oct-06, 20:50
I have reused carrier bags when I go to a supermarket but I mostly just get new bags each time I go. Mostly because I am forgetful or lazy (honestly who isn't?) but also I find so many uses for them. They make good poo bags for the dog, I would have to buy them otherwise. Also, they can be reused as makeshift bin bags.

Colin Manson
16-Oct-06, 22:14
I'd say that the poll is close enough that bags should be provided at the checkouts without having to ask for them.

My reasoning -

The first group currently at 47% will be happy to have the bags readily available.

The second group wont be adversely affected since they would have happy to ask for them anyway.

I was at the Tesco store in Inverness today and I took 3 bags, the larger items I didn't bother to bag, just put them back into the trolley.

It was quick and easy to get and open the Tesco bags (much nicer that any other supermarkets dispensing system IMHO) extra time would be needed to ask for bags, this would increase the time at the Checkout adding an extra delay that isn't really necessary.

Other things I like about Tescos - Fuel available 24 hours, wide range of fruit & vegetables (the only place that I've been able to get plantains north of Aberdeen) Also found the large size of Avocado today, they call it Super Size :D, in Venezuela it's the only size that they have, very nice for salads but probably a bit big for having with prawns. :p

Clothes are great value and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Also, they can be reused as makeshift bin bags.

Agree completely. Saves extra wastage.

Cheers
Colin

JAWS
17-Oct-06, 03:24
Wow Rheghead, I have exactly the same attitude with carrier bags. I use them for stuffing all sorts of bits of rubbish in, I use them as small waste bin liners, I use them when I'm going away for keeping odds and ends together in the car and countless other things.

Those who don't like them have a simple solution, don't use them, nobody will insist that you do.

The problem is one which has been deliberately blown out of all proportion and it was no co-incidence that the Chancellor suggested a 10p tax on them not too long ago, all in the interests of the Environment of course, honest it was.

Metalattakk
17-Oct-06, 03:55
Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a 100% full-scale "Hammer - Nail - Head" interface situation occurring here...

David from Stockport
17-Oct-06, 17:00
Quick question:
They say it takes thousands of years for a Tesco carrier to degrade!!! -which Tesco store participated in that experiment?

MadPict
18-Oct-06, 10:22
My Tesco bags seem to fall apart in a few months - we stick all carrier bags in a carrier bag for reuse - the Tesco ones at bottom have now disintegrated so I think 1000's of years is a bit pessimistic....

elaine
22-Oct-06, 14:55
Slightly off-topic but I have just noticed that Tescos do bio-degradable bin-liners! More expensive to buy every time, but I think I'll use them every 2nd time!

squidge
24-Oct-06, 10:51
Just come back from france where none of the supermarkets i visited gave out free bags. You buy the strong ones and take them every time and thats it

cuddlepop
24-Oct-06, 12:53
I seem to remember my mum and my granny always took a shopping bag with them when we went for the messages.Mum still does this as she prefers her sturdy bag.
Is it a sigh of the times when plastic bags are commen place:eek:

Ann
24-Oct-06, 13:23
Lately I have started taking a basket with me when I go shopping. I just fill it on my way round the shop, empty it at the checkout then fill it up again when through the till. Ok, this is only for a small shop but I now have a few strong Lidl bags which I use for a big shop.

I still use the ordinary bags sometimes as I use them for dog poo instead of the ones issued at council service points but I feel at least I'm doing a bit for the environment.

Highland Laddie
24-Oct-06, 22:40
Just stick all your shopping in a tattie sack, must be user friendly as mine seem to rot quite quickly

Theo C Cupier
26-Oct-06, 14:05
first off, hello orgers.Ive managed to find a nice light topic to dip my toe.
I dont think that anysupermarket should hand out bags willy nilly. we shop at lidls everyweek and it forces us to make a decision about our bags. do we take a few from home ot buy more? if we are setting out from home then we mostly take our own bags but if we decide to go on the spurr of the moment then we usually just buy a couple. i dont mind paying as we alwyas take the big 9p bags that we can use for other things like rubbish bags and sometimes if we dont buy to much then we just carry the stuff out to the car by hand. Places like the coop go mental if they are packing your bags for you,you get double bags for bottles and heavy items and if you buy a chicken yo uget it wrapped in a bag before going ina nother bag why? as if we dont get enouhg packaging as it is. i would be quite happy to ask for any bags i need at tesco and if they go ahead and make it so you have to ask thenm my trips to tesco will be the same as to lidl athough i think that tesco shouls also charge for their bags as a bigger incentive for people to bring their own. Green points are all well and good but im sure that like with lidl people wouldnt mind and it woldl make them think a little more.

weeboyagee
29-Oct-06, 10:49
Hello and welcome Theo. First topic to dip your toe in but there are a lot more that you will find of interest - and just as many that will bore the pants off you! For me it's this one!

50 - 50!!! Cut this poll now - it's not going to change drastically between now and the 5th of November - *sigh*. You have your answer. Move on. Carrier Bags for goodness sake! :eyes

WBG :cool:

wifie
29-Oct-06, 15:40
People against are winning. Get used to it now carrier bags will go eventually.

porshiepoo
30-Oct-06, 00:15
Oh my God, Is this all serious????????? :eek: :lol:

willowbankbear
02-Nov-06, 00:30
Alas, Unfortunately this tedious thread is still here Porshie & the more we lesser mortals post on it, the more it will keep being bumped to the top of the board so please close it, thankyou

wifie
02-Nov-06, 13:00
If ye dinna lek it dinna post on it! If we all had the same taste (or not) boy the world would be a boring place.