PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Warning

changilass
06-Oct-06, 16:34
Chaos reigns at the safeway traffic lights in Thurso.

It took me 45 mins to get from Castletown to Lidlle in Thurso.

This was made worse by the fact that an old woman in a white car missed driving into the side of my car by inches.

Everyone is trying to get out and don't give a damn if they block the road in the process.

I phoned the police to tell them about the scary droving of some folk and to suggest monitoring or traffic control to be told they are aware of the situation and do not have anyone spare to deal with it, and that the traffic warden is not on duty at the moment.

I would hate to see the added chaos caused should someone get bumped.[disgust]

I have still not calmed down, so I won't say that this is my rant over just yet.

the charlatans
06-Oct-06, 16:38
ach let rip changilass it'll make you feel better, nobody can drive up thurso way anyway.

;)

gollach
just passed though Thurso centre and the chaos I had heard about wasn't there.

footie chick
It's gone mental ever since they changed the lights system never seen traffic so bad. Glad its not just me was begining to think my car was invisible :eek:

unicorn
06-Oct-06, 16:42
I noticed a poor bride trying to get through all that chaos I hope she made it to the church on time.

Tugmistress
06-Oct-06, 17:10
were the temporary lights still at the janet street junction? it took me 30 minutes early to get from the bottom of spring park to scrabster watching umpteen changes in the safeway lights and not moving :(
gollach, it didn't seem to be affecting the traffic from the scrabster end heading out towards safeway, just the other way.

Billy Boy
06-Oct-06, 17:26
it took me 20 minutes to get from spring park to sir archibald road this afternoon when i went to pick up mr billy boy,wont be going that way tomorrow, typical of the council to start digging up the road at lunch time on a friday :mad:

Moby
06-Oct-06, 17:28
Saw this thread and decided to head off early - absolutely no problem going south over the bridge, I didn't know what all the fuss was about. Then I tried to get back over from the Springpark side...............what a complete nightmare!!!

Violetsky
06-Oct-06, 17:49
I was in the 5 o clock rush - it was horrendous - and there was a near miss at the safeway junction - what a combination! roadworks and the current setting of the traffic lights - hope the roadworks are gone by Monday

concerned resident
06-Oct-06, 17:56
I was caught up in the traffic congestion myself, and when i arrived at the road works, and the four way lights, nobody was working, they were all in a lorry cab,
green light for janet street (no traffic), green light for few cars going south, green light for riverside road (1 car) then green light, and i moved forward 100foot to red traffic light at post office. If i obstructed a public highway like this, i guarantee the police would find a spare police officer some where, and the Highland Council must be at fault, as they must have to put plans in for permission.

acameron
06-Oct-06, 18:06
Ventured out from the top of springpark to give my son a lift doon e street because it was raining - got to the bottom of Mount Pleasant Road and told him to get out and walk "cause I aint driving through that"

I had driving in Edinburgh city centre driving flashbacks

Whos the clever clogs who planned this one?

Billy Boy
06-Oct-06, 18:46
http://www.welaf.com/resources/files/1151854768.jpg

hobbes1962
06-Oct-06, 19:46
The problems do seem to be trying to come into town at Somerfields and seems to being caused by inconsiderate drivers blocking the road.

Why is this a council problem? The roadworks are on the A9 which is a road covered by Transerve.

Blazing Sporrans
07-Oct-06, 01:48
It's my humble understanding that the temporary traffic lights will be gone by Monday morning. What a palava though...

Apparently the gas people did warn transerve about this weeks ago and tried to get them along to look at the traffic management issue, however no-one from transerve could find the time to have a look! Well done transerve - hope your road-gritting programme runs more smoothly when winter descends...

Jeid
07-Oct-06, 08:40
I don't drive, but it's a nightmare for pedestrians as well. cars coming and trying to move in all directions, I never know if I'm coming or going with these traffic lights.

If only common sense would prevail and roads wouldn't be dug up over the weekend. I can't believe that the traffic lights will be gone on Monday morning. They could just not be there right now and that'd be that.

henry20
07-Oct-06, 09:16
I read this thread before going home from work last night and thought it was a big fuss over how badly timed the 'real' traffic lights were - that was until I got to the lights at Somerfield and saw several light changes before I got through - I assume the same happened to the women at somerfields who banged her fist on her steering wheel as the lights went back to red and she'd only moved the car the length of itself.

With the queues of traffic in all directions, I'd hate to see how an emergency vehicle would cope in getting past :(

sam
07-Oct-06, 09:24
you would think that they would of had the sense to get the traffic lights switched off and get someone to direct the traffic manualy, but there again that would be to simple :confused

unicorn
07-Oct-06, 09:35
hubby just took half an hour to go from springpark through town and back and he said main problem was from springpark, hardly any cars from town side and the workers were just watching it instead of manually working the lights to ease the problem :(

Royster1911
07-Oct-06, 10:06
It has started again. Traffic backed up on castletown road as far as Mount Pleasant School:~(

moncur
07-Oct-06, 12:03
I think that people should perhaps walk if their journey doesnt involve carrying too much shopping. For example if you live in Ormlie and are going to visit Ethel who lives in Springpark, take advantage of the fact that its dry outside and get some exercise.

The Big Fish
07-Oct-06, 12:12
Barring anything unexpected the works will have crossed the road by sunday night. This is essential replacement of old cast Iron gas pipes with new synthetic material which will make the Town safer for us all, Well those of us who don't die of frustration in the jams this weekend. All being well it will be removed for work on monday morning, if not have a lie in and blame the traffic! Alternatively take your partner out for a drive around the town center today and be happy that for the first time in weeks you actually understand what they are moaning about!

unicorn
07-Oct-06, 12:47
The police were doing a fantastic job earlier directing the traffic but they are gone again now.

hobbes1962
07-Oct-06, 12:52
Surely you can't expect the police to be there all the time

unicorn
07-Oct-06, 12:53
I never said I did, did I??

davem
07-Oct-06, 13:08
40 minutes for a trip from mountpleasant school to Ormlie.
Yes the Police should have sorted it if there was no problem from the thurso or mount vernon side then the timing was wrong and needed changing.
What about all the GP's and people trying to get to appointments, I set off 10 mins early and arr. 35 mins late.

bosco
07-Oct-06, 13:22
Since yous have pleny time on your hands up their, why not take it in turns and direct the traffic yourselfs, That way it will get you out the house and plenty fresh air so the local police can carry on with other duties, also wave to your friends when they go bye:lol: :D

Billy Boy
07-Oct-06, 16:04
Not to worry folks, i was passing the above mentioned roadworks earlier this afternoon and councellor Donny Mackay was on the job standing with hands in pockets looking in the hole, so no doubt with immediate effect the problem will be resolved[lol] [lol]

cuddlepop
07-Oct-06, 16:09
Whats your traffic warden doing?When we've got a situation like that here ours directs the traffic.Seen them in Inverness doing the same when the lights are down or at a particularly bad roundabout.

henry20
07-Oct-06, 16:18
In all fairness - when the traffic warden is on duty, he does direct traffic when lights are on the blink - even when there is a large funeral allowing people to get to cemetry quicker.

But, lets face it, if the normal traffic lights were better, there probably wouldn't be so much congestion. I've never seen such badly timed traffic lights. If I am behind a lorry at skinandis traffic lights, by the time we have both negotiated the corner the next lights are already on green!! :roll:

canuck
08-Oct-06, 04:21
Chaos reigns at the safeway traffic lights in Thurso.

It took me 45 mins to get from Castletown to Lidlle in Thurso.

Changilass, thanks for the heads up. I shall try avoiding that street. I do hope that it gets fixed up by next weekend. I wouldn't want to have to deal with road works and making the car go down the wrong side of the road. I would hate to fall into the mighty pit and disappear forever. Everytime I go to Caithness my family wonders if they will ever see me again. They know how tempted I am to stay.

Tristan
08-Oct-06, 13:29
Changilass, thanks for the heads up. I shall try avoiding that street. I do hope that it gets fixed up by next weekend. I wouldn't want to have to deal with road works and making the car go down the wrong side of the road. I would hate to fall into the mighty pit and disappear forever. Everytime I go to Caithness my family wonders if they will ever see me again. They know how tempted I am to stay.

Hard to avoid that street getting into Thurso Canuck.
They were working on it today so they should be done soon. As long as you don't try and get across during Dounreay traffic you should be fine.
Hope the weather is good for you when you come up.

Tristan

saxovtr
08-Oct-06, 15:34
you lot cant drive out of caithness then?have you tried inverness or edingburgh/glasgow now thats a nightmare!!!!

changilass
08-Oct-06, 17:43
you lot cant drive out of caithness then?have you tried inverness or edingburgh/glasgow now thats a nightmare!!!!

I passed my test in Leeds a number of years ago, so I do know what it is like driving in city centres. The traffic involved was expected, the fact that we don't have many problems here with traffic makes it worth mentioning.

JAWS
08-Oct-06, 17:49
Whats your traffic warden doing?When we've got a situation like that here ours directs the traffic.Seen them in Inverness doing the same when the lights are down or at a particularly bad roundabout.Traffic Warden? During a weekend? Don't be silly, they are all ESSO Men!

saxovtr
08-Oct-06, 19:55
I passed my test in Leeds a number of years ago, so I do know what it is like driving in city centres. The traffic involved was expected, the fact that we don't have many problems here with traffic makes it worth mentioning.

or nothing else to gossip about

changilass
08-Oct-06, 19:59
Don't start having a go at me just cos folk are having a go at you on another thread, it won't work[disgust]

The_man_from_del_monte
08-Oct-06, 20:03
If you think that's bad please never take your car down to London ;)

Tristan
09-Oct-06, 08:10
No sympathy for people in cities. It may not always be practical to use but most have reasonable public transport and cheaper fuel.
Up here the only practical way to get around is in your car because there is no real public transport up here and to add insult to injury higher fuel prices.