PDA

View Full Version : Printer Problem on XP Service Pack 2

WeeBurd
06-Oct-06, 14:37
I don't know when it happened... I don't use the printer often... anyhoo, one day, I go to use it, and boom, it's not working. The document is sent to the printer, the printer makes a noisy attempt at printing, but nowt, no error or nothing, nowt. SO, I try changing the ink, you know, maybe it's dried out...

Couple of cartridges later, still nowt. So I get a different printer, try setting that up. Still nowt.

Ended up going through the Help Centre, and even hitting the Microsoft KB in a search for an answer, but nothing. I keep stumbling across something about a 16bit program conflict or something similar which can happen when running XP Service Pack 2 (which I think we are).

It's been so long (months), and so many attempts at getting it working now, that I may have missed bits out, so apologies.

Has anyone else experienced this, or has anyone got any suggestions as to resolving the issue? Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Thank you in advance fellow Orgers!

Kingetter
06-Oct-06, 14:47
Only a guess but I'd think maybe driver problems. Have you tried uninstalling printer and then reinstalling it? Can't hurt to try. Also, check online with printer company's site for info/updates?

blueivy
06-Oct-06, 15:34
I don't know when it happened... I don't use the printer often... anyhoo, one day, I go to use it, and boom, it's not working. The document is sent to the printer, the printer makes a noisy attempt at printing, but nowt, no error or nothing, nowt. SO, I try changing the ink, you know, maybe it's dried out...

Couple of cartridges later, still nowt. So I get a different printer, try setting that up. Still nowt.

Ended up going through the Help Centre, and even hitting the Microsoft KB in a search for an answer, but nothing. I keep stumbling across something about a 16bit program conflict or something similar which can happen when running XP Service Pack 2 (which I think we are).

It's been so long (months), and so many attempts at getting it working now, that I may have missed bits out, so apologies.

Has anyone else experienced this, or has anyone got any suggestions as to resolving the issue? Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Thank you in advance fellow Orgers!

What printers have you tried?

WeeBurd
07-Oct-06, 10:47
Only a guess but I'd think maybe driver problems. Have you tried uninstalling printer and then reinstalling it? Can't hurt to try. Also, check online with printer company's site for info/updates?

Thanks Kingetter, that was one of my first moves. Got the latest driver and un/re-installed, but alas to no avail...

What printers have you tried?

My original printer is a Lexmark Z605, worked fine previously on this PC.

I then tried an Epson C20 (ancient thing, I was given by a friend as the ink cartridges are cheaper, lol), had to buy a new cable off t'internet for that old thing, but it still didn't work either.

Kingetter
07-Oct-06, 10:56
Just as a by the way, is printer usb or parallel? Can it run on either?

WeeBurd
07-Oct-06, 13:55
Just as a by the way, is printer usb or parallel? Can it run on either?

The Lexmark is USB, the prehistoric one is parallel [lol] (hence I had to purchase an alternative cable).

BTW, thank you very much for trying to help, Gents!

Kingetter
07-Oct-06, 15:30
The Lexmark is USB, the prehistoric one is parallel [lol] (hence I had to purchase an alternative cable).

Well I'm fresh out of ideas for now I'm afraid.
Help is something we all need to give each other when the need arises I feel.
James.

blueivy
08-Oct-06, 14:27

Hi weeburd,

When you say nowt for the Epson (ie. the second on you tried) what do you mean? Did it do exactly the same as Lexmark (made some noises, moved the heads and then printed nothing)?

Did the paper get fed through normally (ie. it didn't just fly through the printer it went through at a speed like it was trying to print)?

Do the heads move like it's trying to print (ie. it doesn't just fling them about make a grinding noise - it moves back and forward making a constant noise)?