PDA

View Full Version : Colin 'killer' McRae

chordie
06-Sep-11, 15:41
Now that the inquiry has finally concluded what we all knew, that Colin McRae was to blame for killing his young son and others by illegal and irresponsible actions, will the apologists for this idiot now acknowledge that if he had lived he would have stood trial for manslaughter ?

davem
06-Sep-11, 15:44
Trolling is against the rules - as you well know. Get back under your bridge.

sandyr1
06-Sep-11, 15:55
Great people take chances/ whether it is on the track, in the air or doing other things....
Yes he could/would be charged..Of course.

golach
06-Sep-11, 16:32
Its to easy to speak ill of the dead, from a keyboard, regardless of the result of the inquiry

mi16
06-Sep-11, 19:24
Now that the inquiry has finally concluded what we all knew, that Colin McRae was to blame for killing his young son and others by illegal and irresponsible actions, will the apologists for this idiot now acknowledge that if he had lived he would have stood trial for manslaughter ?

You are the idiot chordie.
Let the dead rest!!!

joxville
06-Sep-11, 20:10
I agree he should never have flown the helicopter, nor taken passengers on board because he wasn't fully licenced, but without a flight recorder to show what really happened it's too easy to blame the pilot for the crash when he isn't here to defend himself or his actions.

almo
06-Sep-11, 20:29
Wow, so twisted.

Moira
06-Sep-11, 20:55

Oh dear, what a bitter post.

With hindsight we would all be perfect

Even trolls, who are more perfect than the rest of us.

mi16
06-Sep-11, 20:56
I agree he should never have flown the helicopter, nor taken passengers on board because he wasn't fully licenced, but without a flight recorder to show what really happened it's too easy to blame the pilot for the crash when he isn't here to defend himself or his actions.

His liscence and medical had expired, yes it should have been renewed but he was well respected as an extremely talented pilot.
However regardless of the crash causes, it left 4 dead.
Lets not discect things further, none of us know the real reasons and we never will.

chordie
06-Sep-11, 23:15
but he was well respected as an extremely talented pilot.

Aviation experts and the legal system have proved that to not be the case. The inquiry concludes....

"For a private pilot such as Mr McRae, lacking the necessary training, experience or requirement to do so, embarking upon such demanding, low-level flying in such difficult terrain, was imprudent, unreasonable and contrary to the principles of good airmanship."

No license, no training, no experience, no capability. An egotistical idiot who murdered two young children.

Phill
06-Sep-11, 23:48
I wouldn't go so far as murdered.

Moira
06-Sep-11, 23:51
You were obviously there chordie.

How did you escape?

carasmam
07-Sep-11, 00:29
Whats done is done, no amount of analysing on caithness.org will bring any of them back - let them rest in peace for goodness sake. :(

mi16
07-Sep-11, 07:11
You were obviously there chordie.

How did you escape?

I believe the huge chip on the shoulder was used as an improvised glider, which proved invaluable in this instance.

"But she stated an "unknown occurrence" caused the aircraft to change its path and crash"

If you have a drivers liscence and the photocard has passed its renewal period, you licence is invalid, I dont consider that because a bit of paper has expired then all your years of previous experience are out of the window.

Bobinovich
07-Sep-11, 09:43
Whats done is done, no amount of analysing on caithness.org will bring any of them back - let them rest in peace for goodness sake. :(

Hear hear! Apart from establishing if there was a failure on the helicopter itself (for safety of the rest of the range) I don't see the need in pointing fingers. It was a tragic accident which could have been avoided - there isn't an FAI for every fatal car crash that occurs is there?

Phill
07-Sep-11, 09:57
For all us armchair pilots, I would suggest reading the AAIB (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/Eurocopter%20AS350B2%20Squirrel,%20G-CBHL%2002-09.pdf) report. Builds an interesting picture.

It's in the public domain and there are lessons to be learnt. What the guy did over a number of years showed a lack of discipline, airmanship and disregard for the law. Egotistical fits nicely, he, for whatever reasons, held an opinion of himself that was greater than his ability. It's one thing on a racetrack but very different in an aircraft.

I don't believe he had any intentions that day of harming anyone but, my opinion, is that he pushed himself and his aircraft beyond the safe and legal limits of his capabilities (showing off) and it went terribly wrong.

Had he paid more attention to the rules and regulations, taken the check flights he required, he might just have thought twice about what he was doing.

There is a time and a place to 'push the limits' i.e. on a racetrack. It's a controlled environment with various safety measures / responses available. If you want to fling an aircraft about you need height, and lots of it.

orkneycadian
07-Sep-11, 10:51
It was a tragic accident which could have been avoided

Future accidents can only be avoided if lessons are learned from previous ones. Saying "S**t happens" or "It wasn't really anyones fault" means that no-one will learn from it, and future accidents may not be prevented. The AAIB report does make interesting reading and appears to validate what the BBC report says.

Had a car accident been caused by a drunk driver, there would have been an outrage (locally at least). There might even be a campaign to raise awareness of drink driving dangers, and possibly even an anonymous telephone number to shop anyone who may be considering doing it. Seems that reckless flying carries similar risks to drink driving, but without the social stigma that is attached to it.

Walter Ego
07-Sep-11, 12:05
For all us armchair pilots, I would suggest reading the AAIB (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/Eurocopter AS350B2 Squirrel, G-CBHL 02-09.pdf) report. Builds an interesting picture.

It's in the public domain and there are lessons to be learnt. What the guy did over a number of years showed a lack of discipline, airmanship and disregard for the law. Egotistical fits nicely, he, for whatever reasons, held an opinion of himself that was greater than his ability. It's one thing on a racetrack but very different in an aircraft.

I don't believe he had any intentions that day of harming anyone but, my opinion, is that he pushed himself and his aircraft beyond the safe and legal limits of his capabilities (showing off) and it went terribly wrong.

Had he paid more attention to the rules and regulations, taken the check flights he required, he might just have thought twice about what he was doing.

There is a time and a place to 'push the limits' i.e. on a racetrack. It's a controlled environment with various safety measures / responses available. If you want to fling an aircraft about you need height, and lots of it.

Good post.

It would appear from the report that Mr McRae was out of his depth (and out of height...)

Best leave that sort of flying to the Junglies.

sandyr1
07-Sep-11, 15:38
For all us armchair pilots, I would suggest reading the AAIB (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/Eurocopter AS350B2 Squirrel, G-CBHL 02-09.pdf) report. Builds an interesting picture.

Read the entire report......And well said Phil!

linnie612
07-Sep-11, 21:55

Its pretty much the same old story - 'need for speed'. How many 'good' drivers think they will always be ok, regardless of who else is on the road

mi16
08-Sep-11, 07:33
Its pretty much the same old story - 'need for speed'. How many 'good' drivers think they will always be ok, regardless of who else is on the road

I dont care what anyone says speed does NOT kill.

Its the sudden stop that gets you.

Walter Ego
08-Sep-11, 08:08
Wow, so twisted.

Oh, I don't now. You're not bad at being an 'expert' on accidents yourself......

linnie612
08-Sep-11, 08:50
Oh, I don't now.

Glad you've given it up;)

ducati
08-Sep-11, 09:58
There is a theory that that there is no accident in any activity or event that could not have been avoided. When all are analysed, there will be a series of events where people either did somthing they shouldn't or didn't do something they should.

But mostly, if you hear the words watch this! Get outa there!

mi16
08-Sep-11, 10:05
Very true, no such thing as an accident only a sequence of events.
The thing with humans is that we all make mistakes or errors of judgement, some folks errors of judgement have very serious consequences others do not.
In this case however we have no idea why the aircraft came down but we do know the consequences of the incident.

upolian
08-Sep-11, 11:14
He will always be a legend

mi16
08-Sep-11, 11:36
More of a cult hero I think, I truly thought he was a fantastic WRC competitor but he wasnt a patch on the Loeb or Solberg or today.
He was a genuinely decent bloke also (as far as murderers go anyway)