PDA

View Full Version : somewhere to eat near Latheronwheel?

Sheena
05-Sep-11, 20:14
Hi, I'm heading up to Latheronwheel for a day visit next week. I'll be travelling up from Inverness by so will have to catch the 7.35pm back getting me into Inverness after 11pm. I was thinking I'd grab something to eat in the evening but I can't find any info about anywhere to eat. I'll be doing some walking so will not be dressed for anything posh with my big boots. Is there really nowhere to eat within walking distance? Any ideas? I was planning on taking a packed lunch but not enough to tide me over to breakfast the next day!
I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks

Sheena

theone
05-Sep-11, 20:44
Sorry, don't think so, If you had a car you could have headed to Dunbeath or Lybster but I don't think there's anything in Latheronwheel.

Corrie 3
05-Sep-11, 20:47
I could be wrong Sheena but I think the nearest places to eat are at Lybster to the north and Laidhay croft museum tea shop to the south. Neither are really within walking distance..........sorry!!!

C3.............:(:(

Beat Bug
05-Sep-11, 22:51
The nearest place to eat would be the Bay Owl at the northern end of Dunbeath. Used to be called the Inver.

rogermellie
06-Sep-11, 01:07
the only place i can think of at Latheronwheel for your dinner and some Highland hospitality would be Beat Bug's house. ;)

Sheena
06-Sep-11, 07:28
Thanks,
I would class Dunbeath as within walking distance and on the bus route back to Inverness. I plan to visit the museum too so maybe I'll stock up on tea and cakes there so I can save my packed 'lunch' for sitting at the bus stop!

Beat Bug
06-Sep-11, 11:06
the only place i can think of at Latheronwheel for your dinner and some Highland hospitality would be Beat Bug's house. ;)
I'm at Latheron, not Latheronwheel. They're a mile apart.

poppett
06-Sep-11, 14:06
Croft museum cafe and Bay Owl are both nice, in different ways.

Enjoy your time, however you spend it, but remember the museum and cafe close by 5pm.

Moira
06-Sep-11, 19:58
Sheena, why not contact the owners of the BayOwl direct. The contact details are:-
Telephone 01593 731356 or e-mail bayowl@btconnect.com (bayowl@btconnect.com)

I think your mention of "within walking distance" put most of us in mind of a 5/10 minute stroll but you're obviously planning more of a hike!

Whatever you decide to do I hope you enjoy your day in Caithness. :)

Sheena
06-Sep-11, 22:14
Thanks Poppett and Moira,
I'm sure I'll enjoy my day. I am planning to walk up to Buoglass as that's where my great granddad was born. I think there might be an odd stone left of the wall that may have been round the croft, if I can follow the field boundaries...but I'm going to try anyhow! After that I'm walking to the museum for a visit so I'll be as close to Dunbeath as I am to Latheronwheel by then. I am quit happy to walk a few miles, although not quite as enthusiastic as my 75 year old mother who still sets off for about 15 miles at a stretch!