PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Parking at Tesco, Wick

secretsquirrel
04-Sep-11, 00:07
I thought I would start this tread to see what other peoples experiences of the diaabled parking at Tesco where like.

Being wheelchair bound it really annoys me when I do my shopping at Tesco, Wick the number of non disabled people who use these spaces. I frequently find non-diabled persons using them. Also people with children using them, although Tesco have actual parking area for Mother/Child.

I also find it amazing that some people who qualify for Blue Badges can walk without a stick or other means from the disabled parking all the way round Tesco pushing a trolley and then go back to their car. What is the criteria for a badge? as some people are certainly abusing it.

To end on a good note I must praise some of Tesco's staff who are very helpful when I am shopping along with offering to help me both from and to my car.

dx100uk
04-Sep-11, 01:15
any markings on a private carpark surface are purely graffitti and hold no legal standings

not nice though!

dx

Aaldtimer
04-Sep-11, 03:41
"I also find it amazing that some people who qualify for Blue Badges can walk without a stick or other means from the disabled parking all the way round Tesco pushing a trolley and then go back to their car. What is the criteria for a badge? as some people are certainly abusing it."...

Well, excuse me all to hell Squirrel. I have a blue badge...yes I can manage to walk without a stick, but not for more than about 20 yards before my muscles cramp up, even to use a supermarket trolley like a wheeled walking aid whilst accompanying my wife shopping...slowly.
It gets me out of the house occassionaly...sorry for the inconvenience![disgust]

Walter Ego
04-Sep-11, 08:22
I thought I would start this tread to see what other peoples experiences of the diaabled parking at Tesco where like.

Being wheelchair bound it really annoys me when I do my shopping at Tesco, Wick the number of non disabled people who use these spaces. I frequently find non-diabled persons using them. Also people with children using them, although Tesco have actual parking area for Mother/Child.

Moan like stink at the duty manager in Tescos, the only way Tesco will do anything is if they think they are being seen in a bad light by enough people.

I also find it amazing that some people who qualify for Blue Badges can walk without a stick or other means from the disabled parking all the way round Tesco pushing a trolley and then go back to their car. What is the criteria for a badge? as some people are certainly abusing it......

You don't know the criteria for a Blue Badge and yet you have one? How odd. I'd read up before accusing people.....

TopCat
04-Sep-11, 09:20

I also find it amazing that some people who qualify for Blue Badges can walk without a stick or other means from the disabled parking all the way round Tesco pushing a trolley and then go back to their car. What is the criteria for a badge? as some people are certainly abusing it.

To end on a good note I must praise some of Tesco's staff who are very helpful when I am shopping along with offering to help me both from and to my car.YYYou do not know me,therefore you have no right to question why I have a blue badge and no sticks if it was not for car and badge I would pretty much be stuck in the house,there are many people like me,we do not all carry sticks,I was offered them by doctor was told I would get extra pension if I carried them,thats my thanks for not takeing more money off the goverment We do not all abuse it

Corrie 3
04-Sep-11, 09:36
My Doctor and Highland Council both agree that I qualify for a blue badge and that's good enough for me. Your post actually sickens me, just remember one thing.....Just because a person doesn't have a plaster cast doesn't mean their leg isn't broken, ie, what you see doesn't always tell the full story!!!!!!!! I tell you what, I will start using my sticks when I visit Tesco in future just to stop you whinging!!!!

C3...................:mad::mad:[disgust]

Beat Bug
04-Sep-11, 11:01
Anyone who parks inconsiderately, whether blocking a car with or without a disabled sticker, doesn't deserve to have a driving licence. Some years ago I had a left hand drive car, and someone reversed to park beside my parked car while I was attending outpatients. It was only a few inches away from me, and I had to wait ages for them to come back, resulting in me having to pay higher car parking charges.

Torvaig
04-Sep-11, 11:02
I thought I would start this tread to see what other peoples experiences of the diaabled parking at Tesco where like. Probably the same as your own. There are selfish people everywhere but there are also people who have a badge who cannot walk far without some sort of support. A trolley makes a great support and means you don't have to cope with sticks as well.

Being wheelchair bound it really annoys me when I do my shopping at Tesco, Wick the number of non disabled people who use these spaces. I frequently find non-diabled persons using them. Also people with children using them, although Tesco have actual parking area for Mother/Child. Complain, complain, complain. Tescos won't want their disabled patrons having to park in ordinary bays whilst these places are full and being abused. Write to them as well as talk to them. Writing begs an official reply and they won't be able to ignore your complaint.

I also find it amazing that some people who qualify for Blue Badges can walk without a stick or other means from the disabled parking all the way round Tesco pushing a trolley and then go back to their car. What is the criteria for a badge? as some people are certainly abusing it. You should have been given documentation as to the rules when you were awarded the disabled badge. Again, complain, complain, complain until you get them.

To end on a good note I must praise some of Tesco's staff who are very helpful when I am shopping along with offering to help me both from and to my car. There you are now, having a wheelchair is a good thing when disabled, you get all those kind people paying you attention and helping you. There are angels out there....

Torvaig
04-Sep-11, 11:06
Anyone who parks inconsiderately, whether blocking a car with or without a disabled sticker, doesn't deserve to have a driving licence. Some years ago I had a left hand drive car, and someone reversed to park beside my parked car while I was attending outpatients. It was only a few inches away from me, and I had to wait ages for them to come back, resulting in me having to pay higher car parking charges.

Would be handy at those times to have the spikes on your wheels (just like the Roman chariots) then they would keep their distance! ;)

Also, if those designing car parks would use their common sense and their tape measures and make parking bays wider and longer to keep up with the design of the cars using them. They are way behind the times!

pretty green eyes
04-Sep-11, 15:32
I have a child who has a blue badge, yet he doesnt need sticks or a wheelchair. Im one of those parents who gets those dirty looks and tuts and thats fine as its a great way of teaching my son ignorance. Why people think they have the right to judge i'll never know! I will continue to use the disabled bay with him as its safer in his circimstance.

Torvaig
04-Sep-11, 15:40
I have a child who has a blue badge, yet he doesnt need sticks or a wheelchair. Im one of those parents who gets those dirty looks and tuts and thats fine as its a great way of teaching my son ignorance. Why people think they have the right to judge i'll never know! I will continue to use the disabled bay with him as its safer in his circimstance.

You are quite right; his safety comes first!

pat
04-Sep-11, 17:36
Seems as if 1 person on here who has a blue disabled badge thinks they have the right to judge anyone and everyone and their disabilities too - get a grip on reality secretsquirrel.
Many people are disabled without showing any visible signs or symptoms just because you have a visible form of disability ie the use of a wheelchair do not assume that every disabled person has your disability.
If you have any problems with disability equality and not being given the priority you feel you require for parking you can contact Keith Robertson who is the Access Development Officer of Scottish Disability Equality Forum tel 01786473152 or email keith.robertson@sdef.org.uk and he will be more than willing to listen and help you with your personal situation.

orkneycadian
04-Sep-11, 18:20
I'm sure Mr Robertson will be delighted that his email address has been placed on a public forum where it can be harvested by spambots!

cherokee
04-Sep-11, 20:54
I have a family member with a "blue badge" actually.

This person is perfectly capable of walking into and also out of Tescos; but as various other orgers on here have pointed out, the fact that they have a "blue badge" should never be discretionised by those who think they should know as to why someone has been given said badge !!

My relative suffers from various medical conditions, and, as I've previously stated, can normally walk without any aids (thank God!), but, they're general medical health, which as been ascertained by their GP and also the local Council, gives said person requirement of a "blue badge " !

Any questions, then please feel free to PM me; I'm more than willing to expand on this discussion....?

Kells
04-Sep-11, 22:51

To end on a good note I must praise some of Tesco's staff who are very helpful when I am shopping along with offering to help me both from and to my car.

You appear to have a problem parking wherever you go, so suggest you use some of your disability allowance and take a taxi.

If you are getting so upset and find it so difficult to do your shopping I suggest you do so on-line and get it delivered. That will stop you bothering staff when you do not take your carer with you for shopping. It will also relieve you of the burden of being annoyed that perhaps there are other people who might have even bigger problems than you.

nightowl
04-Sep-11, 23:24
http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/advice-and-guidance/guidance-for-service-users-pre-october-2010/transport/using-your-own-transport/off-street-disabled-parking-bays-such-as-supermarkets/ (http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/advice-and-guidance/guidance-for-service-users-pre-october-2010/transport/using-your-own-transport/off-street-disabled-parking-bays-such-as-supermarkets/)
It appears that the Blue Badge only applies legally to the public highway and not “off road” parking, including supermarket car parks, where you can be asked to vacate a bay by the staff but they have no legal rights to insist you do.
To me that seems very sensible as often people can be temporarily disabled following illness, surgery, or maybe with broken bones, and to be able to use a disabled bay must be a great relief for these people, without the fear that they are breaking the law.

manloveswife
04-Sep-11, 23:30
On a lighter note, I parked the car in the disabled spaces at tesco the other week to take the wife shopping (her badge, not mine), then whilst she kindly went for my bits from the kiosk before tottering back to the car (complete with stick may I add) I took the trolley, unloaded it into the car, while a fancy new sports car pulled into the disabled space beside me. Out jumps a young lad and his fancy lass who set off swaggering full of health into Tescos, No blue badge, not disabled etc but the wider spaces will protect his pride and joy.....surely thats what they are really there for....

So, putting trolley into trolley park, the trolley in front had a gift from God, a Tesco "disabled parking space warning to non disabled people notice", the devil popped up on my left shoulder so picked it up, slipped it under his wiper blade just as he comes back out from buying his bits. I could bearly keep a straight face as I sat beside his car whilst the air turned blue, how dare they, the ******** he was bemoning whilst turning red, thought he might need a badge himself if his blood pressure got any higher.

Its the simple pleasures that seem to be most fun.....

linnie612
04-Sep-11, 23:41
get your own baccy;)

manloveswife
04-Sep-11, 23:49
get your own baccy;)

There has to be some perk to all that trolley pushing and bag carrying surely:lol:

manloveswife
04-Sep-11, 23:55
And insult to injury, the good lady packed up the fags even though her illness isn't smoking related, and she still gets my bits, an angel I got when she fell from heaven.:D

secretsquirrel
05-Sep-11, 01:10
here are some replies as some people have misread the post I think.

aaldtimer - ~"yes I can manage to walk without a stick, but not for more than about 20 yards before my muscles cramp up" How can you walk round Tesco's then if you can only walk 20 yards?

Walter ego - Yes I know the criteria for a blue badge and I am sorry being able to walk from the car park then around Tesco and back then someone may not be telling the truth to their GP and the Council.

Topcat - "You do not know me,therefore you have no right to question why I have a blue badge and no sticks if it was not for car and badge I would pretty much be stuck in the house,there are many people like me,we do not all carry sticks,I was offered them by doctor was told I would get extra pension if I carried them,thats my thanks for not takeing more money off the goverment We do not all abuse it " ~ If I read this as written - you say you cannot leave your house without a car, so if you cannot leave your house without a car how are you able to walk round Tesco? I am not saying anything about those people who are genuine but come on we all know people who have a Blue Badge with a "bad back syndrome" and those that tell their GP how hard it is to walk then you find them walking 500 plus yards with heavy bags no problems. I personally cannot comment about "taking more money off the goverment" as I purely live on a private income and because of its level will not claim from the Goverment - lets be Honest Disability Living Allowance for example being a Universal Benefit which does not depend on income, really needs to be looked at and targetted at those on benefit and low income, which is what a benefit system in a Country is supposed to be for.

Corrie3 - "Just because a person doesn't have a plaster cast doesn't mean their leg isn't broken" - good for you if you can walk unaided with a broken leg!!!

Pretty Green eyes - you use a Blue Badge which you I assume display??? It is not your type of mother/child I am speaking about it is those who park their car then their children get out and start running about etc You obviously need the extra space these spaces give you.

Kells - I do not claim disability living allowance because of my income. You are obviously someone who has never used a Taxi in wick when you are wheelchair bound. There are certainly a few taxi drivers who I would never use. Excuse my ignorance but i thought the org was someplace where people can express opinions ????? even if others do not agree.

manloveswife - " while a fancy new sports car pulled into the disabled space beside me. Out jumps a young lad and his fancy lass who set off swaggering full of health into Tescos, No blue badge, not disabled etc but the wider spaces will protect his pride and joy.....surely thats what they are really there for...." there you go a perfect example of there misuse.

again I have no problem with that

As a general comment I am fully aware that people can suffer from disabilities which do not show (I do myself along with one the shows), but not all disabilities qualify you for a blue badge.

As Nightowl says "To me that seems very sensible as often people can be temporarily disabled following illness, surgery, or maybe with broken bones, and to be able to use a disabled bay must be a great relief for these people" again I have no problem with that

I would love to be able to walk but with two "dead" legs I have no choice.

I would refer everyone to the : http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/road/policy/blue-badge-scheme

Blue Badge SchemeThe Blue Badge Scheme operates throughout the UK and is for people with severe mobility problems, enabling badge holders to park close to where they need to go.
The scheme is administered by local authorities who deal with applications and issue badges. It is designed to help people who are unable to walk, or who are virtually unable to walk, to travel independently, as either a driver or as a passenger, by allowing them to park close to their destination.
Registered blind people and people with very severe upper limb disabilities who drive a vehicle but cannot turn a steering wheel by hand are also covered by the scheme
The scheme gives concessions to badge holders when they park on-street. Badge holders may also benefit from special parking bays and other concessions when they park in off-street parking areas but this is not part of the Blue Badge scheme "help people who are unable to walk, or who are virtually unable to walk, to travel independently, as either a driver or as a passenger, by allowing them to park close to their destination" I am sorry if people on the org do not like it but if you can walk round Tesco how does this apply???

"Registered blind people and people with very severe upper limb disabilities " - you can spot someone who is blind they donot normally drive cars!! and again you can observe people with upper limb disabilities

secretsquirrel
05-Sep-11, 01:32
as a quick response to dx100uk - suggest you read http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/files/documents/roads/Tackling_the_Abuse_of_Off-Street_Parking_for_People_with_Disabilities_in_Sco tland_-_Main_Findings.pdf before making further statements

manloveswife
05-Sep-11, 01:46
Hi again, try as I may to be light hearted but..........

"If you can walk round tesco", well, the badge scheme applies to people who can not walk 50 metres without the need to stop before suffering severe discomfort, simply put, if you can not walk above 50 meters without having to stop to rest then you are disabled and entitled to a badge. This is the criteria for "virtually unable to walk"

Whilst the silly bunch at the dwp have decided that if you can go to a supermarket you can walk 800 meters, have you ever seen ANYONE walk 50 meters in a supermarket without stopping.

I'm sorry, but having a wheelchair does not give exclusive rights on disability, indeed a wheelchair user can be reltatively pain free, whilst a person able to walk less than 50 yards may not be. A wheelchair is an aid, it does not give exclusive rights to mobility problems, and anyone who thinks that it is a god given that someone with the use of their legs MUST SIMPLY be o.k should probably seek a little counselling.

If you want to p.m me for a full list of the wifes medical complaints then feel free to do so, or go get a job with the dwp, atos are keen to employ people with the beliefs you show.

I'm sorry, but for someone with a disability you seem to show a complete lack of understanding for anyone with a disability outside of your immediate boundaries.

Kells
05-Sep-11, 02:23
Kells - I do not claim disability living allowance because of my income. You are obviously someone who has never used a Taxi in wick when you are wheelchair bound. There are certainly a few taxi drivers who I would never use. Excuse my ignorance but i thought the org was someplace where people can express opinions ????? even if others do not agree.

Disability Allowance has nothing to do with income it is directly related to the severity of mobility. You are wrong to make the assumption I have not used a taxi in Wick as a disabled person, not in a wheelchair certainly but as a blind person and with other health problems as well. I cannot praise ALL the taxi drivers enough I used during that time period and found every one both caring and helpful.

No I do not excuse your ignorance, it is unacceptable to me and as you have read, to many others who have much bigger problems than you and do not whine about how other people behave.

You can express your opinion all you wish but when I disagree with your opinion or what you write then I also have a right to express mine.

secretsquirrel
05-Sep-11, 02:30
reply to manlovewife - I am sorry that your wife suffers, I have no problem with genuine sufferers. But I have frequently followed people get out of there cars (with a blue badge) in the disabled places then walk into Tesco and right the way up to the TV section without stopping, while I have had to stop several times due to pain. You ask "have you ever seen ANYONE walk 50 meters in a supermarket without stopping." the answer is Yes people with blue badges who walk from their car into Tesco - 50 metres is not a great distance. I would suggest you take a tape measure and actually measure out the 50 metres from disabled spaces into Tesco

I have a wheelchair and you should try living with the pain I suffer in what is left of my legs plus other areas, I also suffer from other disabilities which do not show, but before having to use a wheelchair my disabilities under the regulations would not have supplied me with a blue badge. I am sure that there are more people in wheelchairs who suffer severe pain than those in wheelchairs who do not. Suggest that you try sitting in a wheelchair and move a distance using your arms, especially over uneven surfaces and a long gentle uphill then make the comments you have made. It is the same for a carer is not used to pushing a wheelchair.

I have a lot of sympathy for genuine disabled people (and even worked with them on a voluntary basis) even before I myself became disabled through no fault of my own - my point is there are a lot of people who claim to be disabled and are able to walk well over 50 metres without stopping, but it only seems to affect them when they go to the GP or when claiming benefits. Sorry you do not like it. I do not claim any benefits because I have a private income which meets my needs.

Aaldtimer
05-Sep-11, 03:22
..."I have a lot of sympathy for genuine disabled people (and even worked with them on a voluntary basis) even before I myself became disabled through no fault of my own - my point is there are a lot of people who claim to be disabled and are able to walk well over 50 metres without stopping, but it only seems to affect them when they go to the GP or when claiming benefits. Sorry you do not like it. I do not claim any benefits because I have a private income which meets my needs."...

Well, bully for you SS...there's an old saying..."When you find yourself in a hole...stop digging".

You are painting with too broad a brush![disgust]

Corrie 3
05-Sep-11, 09:05
Well Squirrel,
You read my post totally wrong, I wish my problem was a broken leg as I would be happy with that!! The point I was trying to make is that unless you can see any form of illness or aids (Wheelchair, sticks, crutches, plaster casts, etc) you have difficulty in realising that someone might be in a great deal of pain. In your eyes if they dont show any of these aids then you automatically think that they are not genuine. In my own case I want to put off using aids for as long as I can for my own sanity....I know the day will come before very long when I have to use sticks full time and will end up in a wheelchair like you but I want to see that as a last resort..(call it pride or stubbornness if you like). When the time comes to be in a wheelchair I just hope I dont end up all bitter and twisted like yourself, get rid of that chip on your shoulder and just be grateful that you can still go shopping, there are plenty that cant!!!!!

C3................[disgust][disgust][disgust]

pat
05-Sep-11, 10:43
Well said Aaldtimer, Corrie3, Kells, manloveswife, TopCat, Torvaig, pretty green eyes, Cherokee - secretsquirrel definitely needs to consider other people in this world, the world does not revolve around secretsquirrel alone.

Doreen
05-Sep-11, 21:58
Why has wick got so many disabeld parking spaces than anything else it seems to be a big majority of people in wick are disabled .

TopCat
05-Sep-11, 22:33
Secret Squirrel wants to get a life and stop dictating to others,what to do .I do not have a bad back,but if I could give you my lungs I would the
n you would know how much a blue badge helps people,if you would like to have a look at my medical records please let me know,you might not understand them as you seem to be quite ignorant about illness.

linnie612
05-Sep-11, 22:50
reply to manlovewife - I am sorry that your wife suffers, I have no problem with genuine sufferers. But I have frequently followed people get out of there cars (with a blue badge) in the disabled places then walk into Tesco and right the way up to the TV section without stopping, while I have had to stop several times due to pain. You ask "have you ever seen ANYONE walk 50 meters in a supermarket without stopping." the answer is Yes people with blue badges who walk from their car into Tesco - 50 metres is not a great distance. I would suggest you take a tape measure and actually measure out the 50 metres from disabled spaces into Tesco

I have a wheelchair and you should try living with the pain I suffer in what is left of my legs plus other areas, I also suffer from other disabilities which do not show, but before having to use a wheelchair my disabilities under the regulations would not have supplied me with a blue badge. I am sure that there are more people in wheelchairs who suffer severe pain than those in wheelchairs who do not. Suggest that you try sitting in a wheelchair and move a distance using your arms, especially over uneven surfaces and a long gentle uphill then make the comments you have made. It is the same for a carer is not used to pushing a wheelchair.

I have a lot of sympathy for genuine disabled people (and even worked with them on a voluntary basis) even before I myself became disabled through no fault of my own - my point is there are a lot of people who claim to be disabled and are able to walk well over 50 metres without stopping, but it only seems to affect them when they go to the GP or when claiming benefits. Sorry you do not like it. I do not claim any benefits because I have a private income which meets my needs.

See 'Little Britain';)

Fly
05-Sep-11, 23:01
For your information Secret Squirrel I personally know TopCat and can vouch for the fact that TopCat really needs the Blue badge. Not all disabilities are obvious to the eye. Anyway, you only need one parking space out of all the many supplied so what are you making all the fuss about? There are always people who park where they should'nt but I very much doubt that you have never found at least one space.

Kodiak
05-Sep-11, 23:15
The Blue Badge Scheme is not only for people who can hardly walk. It is for people who have Mobility problems for many reasons. If a person receives the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance, this could be for a Congestive Heart Disease, a respiratory Problem or anything that makes Mobility a problem, they automaticly qualify for a Blue Badge.

http://i.imgur.com/GGUpw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cXUFK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2Am36.jpg

Information Source :-

http://www2.dft.gov.uk/adobepdf/259428/281009/bluebadge.pdf

K.

Kodiak
05-Sep-11, 23:56
Why has wick got so many disabeld parking spaces than anything else it seems to be a big majority of people in wick are disabled .

The reason that Tesco is Wick has quite a few Disabled Parking Bays is simple. These are not only for the residents of wick but for all the residents of Caithness and possibly Sutherland as well.

Lots of Disabled people drive into wick just to go to Tesco. They drive in from Thurso, Castletown, Halkirk, Reay, Watten, Bower, Lybster, Dunbeath, etc etc.

That is why there are quite a few Disabled Parking Bays at Tesco Wick.

Corrie 3
06-Sep-11, 09:12
See 'Little Britain';)

Yea I'know.....Want that one !!!!!!.....lol.

C3...................:lol:;)

Moira
06-Sep-11, 22:08

Being the driver of a blue badge holder, I find your assumptions offensive and totally inappropriate. If ever you see me sprinting across the car park, returning the shopping trolleys to their appropriate places, feel free to stop and ask me why my car is parked in a disabled parking space.