PDA

View Full Version : The 60 watt light at the end of the tunnel......

Humerous Vegetable
01-Sep-11, 16:32
....has just been switched off. Apparently, from today we will no longer be able to buy 60 watt light bulbs, thanks to a ruling by the EU. The low-energy bulbs we will now be forced to buy are going to cause major problems to folk because 1) they are more expensive to buy 2) they don't give out the same amount of light, so we'll need more of them for the same effect and 3) they contain mercury, which is a toxic substance and no information that I have seen on how we're supposed to dispose of defunct ones.
A greener and more cost-effective strategy might be just to stop electing MEPs to the European parliament. Think of the benefits to the planet of that.....no more fat politicians taking flights here, there and everywhere. No more taxpayers' cash paying for gas-guzzling limos to ferry them around...The list is probably endless.

davem
01-Sep-11, 16:39
No longer manufacturing from today - so we'll still be able to buy them until people have stockpiled them all!

Rheghead
01-Sep-11, 16:42
More expensive?

I remember my first low energy light bulb bought from ASDA in 1990 for £9.99, it went pop last year funnily enough. In that time I would have gone through 10 60W bulbs and the savings would have been £150.

Now I got most of my low energy bulbs free from either CREF freebie offers or home energy inspections and they are still going strong.

Kodiak
01-Sep-11, 17:01
Yes I also get most of my Low Energy Bulbs for Free. Also Tesco quite often have them on offer for 10p each and when they do I buy a few so I always have quite a few in stock.

Personally I have never had any problem with any of the Low Energy Bulbs with the amount of light that they give out. What I do is to use the next rated one up to what I would have used.

To dospose of them all you have to do is to take them to the recycling centre at Janetstown.

Humerous Vegetable
01-Sep-11, 17:03
So, presumably you know how we are supposed to get rid of the dead ones without filling our watercourses with mercury? Do tell.

Kodiak
01-Sep-11, 17:26
Read above where I said you take them to the Recycling Centre at Janetseown.

orkneycadian
01-Sep-11, 18:00
3) they contain mercury, which is a toxic substance and no information that I have seen on how we're supposed to dispose of defunct ones.

Officially, just the same way as you / we have been disposing of defunct fluorescent tubes for 60 or 70 years! The technology is hardly new - I mind when I was peedie, the fluorescent light was almost de rigueur for the modern Orcadian kitchen! (those that had migrated from Tilleys....) Since then, whilst its lost some of its appeal as a kitchen light, its as common as muck in shops, offices, garages, byres and just about everywhere else!

So, theres no sudden problem on disposing of fluorescent lights! Its been something on the go for the best part of a century!

Phill
01-Sep-11, 22:12
I fitted about 17 CFL's in me last kitchen, at 9 watt's apiece. Beats 2 60w likety blubs any day.

ducati
01-Sep-11, 22:16
I set fire to the curtains, was plenty of light but it didn't last long. :~(

Humerous Vegetable
02-Sep-11, 10:05
Officially, just the same way as you / we have been disposing of defunct fluorescent tubes for 60 or 70 years! The technology is hardly new - I mind when I was peedie, the fluorescent light was almost de rigueur for the modern Orcadian kitchen! (those that had migrated from Tilleys....) Since then, whilst its lost some of its appeal as a kitchen light, its as common as muck in shops, offices, garages, byres and just about everywhere else!

So, theres no sudden problem on disposing of fluorescent lights! Its been something on the go for the best part of a century!

I've never owned a fluorescent light in my life, so have never had to dispose of one. How energy-efficient is everybody in Caithness driving to Janetstown with a couple of lightbulbs?

orkneycadian
02-Sep-11, 19:24
I am sure most folk would not drive all over Caithness to dispose of a couple of energy saving bulbs! Rather, I am sure they would add it to all their other recyclates and make 1 trip!

In Orkney, you can dispose of them at all 5 of the recycling centres on the mainland, as well as the ones on the isles. Not exactly difficult! Its not like they take up a lot of room, or get "produced" by the dozen every week!

Fly
02-Sep-11, 23:20
Tried these low energy bulbs then replaced them with the normal ones. I found them to be absolutely useless in the house and I would imagine them to be a complete waste of money in outside lights where there is no street lighting. Must admit I have stockpilled.

orkneycadian
02-Sep-11, 23:28
Have had a low energy outside light for 12 years now - Dumped the old metal light with 100 watt bulb and replaced with a plastic fitting with a 55W low energy tube. Lights up for about 75 yards down to the byre, and only been replaced once, last year! Best thing ever! Aside from that, mostly 20 watt low energy bulbs about the house, and they do just grand. Cant think of any of those that have been replaced in their life, and as much light as any ordinary bulb!