PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know....

Gus
04-Oct-06, 23:44
....what the law is concerning the sale of home-made or home-baked goods at boot-fairs, table-sales and the like?

At what point in one's table-sale career does a licence to cook (without poisoning folk), or some other governmental interference, come into play?

Where, for instance, does the noble Women's Institute stand?

Just as an example, you understand... would, say, my cakes, jams and chutneys be more credible if I were to join?

Sigh.

Bureaucracy flies over my head (as, most likely, does my spelling) leaving me blissfully ignorant.

Till now.

Thanks.

(Mrs Gus)

Maclady483
05-Oct-06, 12:31
Not sure about the law, but when we lived in Aberdeen my daughters school stopped the sale of home baking sales, I was involved in the Brownies, scouts etc. and home baking etc. was not welcome!

trinkie
05-Oct-06, 12:34
There are laws about selling home made food.
I think it varies from place to place.
Why dont you contact the Catering College in Thurso - they should be able to help you.
T.

badger
05-Oct-06, 17:21
I've been wondering how much longer home-baking stalls are going to be allowed. Shame as they're usually so delicious. Apparently you're no longer allowed to take cakes into care homes etc. Also the days of making up nice boxes of fruit and veg. for Harvest Festival in churches to be taken later to local elderly in need are over. Not allowed any more. Not sure you can even collect tins etc. as we used to so in our church we just had a money collection.

All these rules taking the fun out of life. When did anyone get sick eating bought home made cake? How long before the thought police start inspecting our kitchens for our home cooking?

henry20
05-Oct-06, 17:24
I think its ridiculous that you can't sell home-baking on stalls anymore. Its usually so much better than my own :lol: and better than anything in the supermarkets and often better than the bakers.

Too much dotting of i's and crossing of t's going on :(

I'm pretty sure they used to sell baking entered into competition at the county show, but this all stopped too. It really is such a shame. I bought home-baking not that long ago at a boot sale, but they possibly didn't know they shouldn't be selling it - luckily for me, it went down a treat!

Gus
05-Oct-06, 17:58
Thanks all.

I guess I'll stop when someone stops me or bangs me up.

My principles are developing more strongly the longer these rules keep coming..

badger
05-Oct-06, 19:02
Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know what exactly the current law is?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Oct-06, 21:41
Thought it was alright for homebaking,thought all the paperwork was to do with things getting cooked at the stall?

connieb19
05-Oct-06, 21:47
I thought it was ok as long as you listed the ingredients.

Kingetter
05-Oct-06, 21:49
Some, though maybe not all of the regulations can be checked out through the Council I believe, as byelaws are involved. Mostly, things get 'overlooked', but this is bound to come to an end with "Health and Safety" expanding its remit.

Buttercup
05-Oct-06, 21:57
Coffee Mornings in Thurso still have baking stalls. :)
Info about what you can and can't do can be obtained from the Food Standards agency.

scorrie
05-Oct-06, 22:08
According to the ancient, and mostly forgotten, legal term "Marketus Continentalus", it is perfectly OK to sell home made goods, so long as they contain copious quantities of wasps, bluebottles and/or "flechs"

connieb19
05-Oct-06, 22:23
According to the ancient, and mostly forgotten, legal term "Marketus Continentalus", it is perfectly OK to sell home made goods, so long as they contain copious quantities of wasps, bluebottles and/or "flechs"Don't forget on the dog hairs and fag ash to season lol.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Oct-06, 22:27
According to the ancient, and mostly forgotten, legal term "Marketus Continentalus", it is perfectly OK to sell home made goods, so long as they contain copious quantities of wasps, bluebottles and/or "flechs"

Ahhhhh!!!Scorrie the life before all they fancy toppings ye get these days!!!:lol: :lol: