PDA

View Full Version : applying for jobs

tonkatojo
30-Aug-11, 12:16
A few of my friends are in the situation of applying for jobs, in some cases hundreds of applications are made and very few get a acknowledgement, most times no replies received . Should it not be law to give a reply or even a text/email to every applicant. The ignorance of employers is beyond contempt. :(

Tugmistress
30-Aug-11, 12:23
Again it's nothing new :( when i left school in the early 1980's i lost count of the amount of letters i sent applying for jobs and i reckon i could have counted on one hand the number of acknowledgements i got back :(
and yes i agree it is pure ignorance on the companies that don't reply, i know they will get hundreds of applications but most peoplle offer up an email address for contact so a quick reply via email would cost the company nothing but a little time to draft a standard 'application received' email and send it.

tonkatojo
30-Aug-11, 12:30
Again it's nothing new :( when i left school in the early 1980's i lost count of the amount of letters i sent applying for jobs and i reckon i could have counted on one hand the number of acknowledgements i got back :(
and yes i agree it is pure ignorance on the companies that don't reply, i know they will get hundreds of applications but most peoplle offer up an email address for contact so a quick reply via email would cost the company nothing but a little time to draft a standard 'application received' email and send it.

The apathy of the kids applying is sad, knowing you haven't got a bloody hope must be soul destroying. When I left school the job exchange was awash with jobs, people could change jobs in the afternoon six days a week then if unhappy, I am not saying that is a correct formula but how times have changed.

ducati
30-Aug-11, 12:30
Was going to say the same thing Tugs except with me it was the 70s. We didn't have email then :lol:

Tugmistress
30-Aug-11, 12:40
lol neither did i at the time ducati, but nowadays there are not many people that don't (yes i know of a few personally that don't own a computer but i would guess about 80% of the population do).

Tugmistress
30-Aug-11, 12:43
The apathy of the kids applying is sad, knowing you haven't got a bloody hope must be soul destroying. When I left school the job exchange was awash with jobs, people could change jobs in the afternoon six days a week then if unhappy, I am not saying that is a correct formula but how times have changed.

it wasn't quite awash with jobs when i left school, but it only took me a couple of weeks to secure a training course on the old YTS malarky lol
what gets me is there are jobs out there, ok on basic wage and maybe not what you want to do, but it's a start and kids don't seem to understand that once you have a job it is often easier to change to something better rather than sat on the dole waiting for the ideal job :(

mi16
30-Aug-11, 12:48
If I were on the brew I would do anything, and I mean anything at all to make ends meet and work for a living.
On the subject of acknowledgement emails or letters, I agree it is annoying but to respond to each applicant would be fairly time consuming for no gain to the company.

ducati
30-Aug-11, 12:50
Thinking back my first three jobs were 1) from work experience, offered on the spot (do they still do that?)

2) Via a family friend

3) Via my dad's friend

Doesn't everyone (School leaver) have that sort of opportunity? It always used to work that way.

tonkatojo
30-Aug-11, 13:03
Thinking back my first three jobs were 1) from work experience, offered on the spot (do they still do that?)

2) Via a family friend

3) Via my dad's friend

Doesn't everyone (School leaver) have that sort of opportunity? It always used to work that way.

I can relate to that, my first job was from a friend of my father the second was the army third was my own application fourth was self employed then sadly unemployed disabled.

mi16 the time of people applying should also be considered hence my suggestion it should be law.

Aye Tugs any job is worth while and a routine of going to work would work wonders for most kids, but my point is with so few jobs going a reply would encourage the kids to re-apply time and again instad of giving up and staying in bed and the likes.

RecQuery
30-Aug-11, 13:26
I hate nepotism and cronyism, it's grossly unfair - if I relative of mine applied for something and someone exactly equal to them but not related to me also applied, I'd hire the unrelated guy. Anyway obviously depending on the type and level of the job, this advice may vary:

Customise your CV and cover letter to each position, don't just spam people with the same copy of your CV and a generic cover letter.
If you need experience in your field do some volunteer work in a relevant area.
Rather than sitting unemployed consider studying something, most colleges have access courses etc and it looks better on a CV. Even if you don't do an SQA qualification there are various short courses and professional certifications, this is also a good way of possibly networking with people.
Consider joining a professional organisation or club related to your field for networking.
If possible and depending on the field put together a website or blog to raise awareness.
It's easier to get a job when you've got one so take anything.
Try to avoid listing duties for jobs and instead list achievements.
Don't list interests and hobbies on a CV or include a photo, people are looking for reasons not to hire you.
Don't write rambling sentences, keep it to short and snappy bullet points if possible.
Don't use Comic Sans or any other casual script font for your CV or cover letter.
Don't lie on your CV I've seen people claim 5 years experience on a technology that was just invented a year ago. If you don't know say so, then hazard a guess or tell them what you'd do to find out.

I also think that replying would be nice even if it's just quick or automated.

mi16
30-Aug-11, 13:43
To be honest I think the government have better things to discuss than passing a new law on replying to job applicants. Like possible our finances and world affairs.

ducati
30-Aug-11, 14:09
I hate nepotism and cronyism, it's grossly unfair - if I relative of mine applied for something and someone exactly equal to them but not related to me also applied, I'd hire the unrelated guy.

It was a different world then RecQuery, the whole formal application thing is quite a recent movement. The thing about personal reputations and recommedations, was you knew who you were taking on and you knew where to go if it didn't work out. Is that such a bad thing?

I'd add that unlike these days with facetube etc. people were careful who they impressed and the reverse.

RecQuery
30-Aug-11, 14:19
It was a different world then RecQuery, the whole formal application thing is quite a recent movement. The thing about personal reputations and recommedations, was you knew who you were taking on and you knew where to go if it didn't work out. Is that such a bad thing?

I'd add that unlike these days with facetube etc. people were careful who they impressed and the reverse.

I've got nothing against recommendations, that's basically what networking is in this context. I just don't like that people get extra interview points or consideration for it, it doesn't happen in every situation but does in some. I've had the 'you're overqualified' thing thrown at me in the past, which basically meant: you're better than the person we want to hire so this is a way for us to discount you and not technically break the law. If you already have someone in mind then why advertise the job and waste everyones time.

ducati
30-Aug-11, 14:21
I've got nothing against recommendations, that's basically what networking is in this context. I just don't like that people get extra interview points or consideration for it, it doesn't happen in every situation but does in some. I've had the 'you're overqualified' thing thrown at me in the past, which basically meant: you're better than the person we want to hire so this is a way for us to discount you and not technically break the law. If you already have someone in mind then why advertise the job and waste everyones time.

Fair comment but the right person is so much more than the qualification.

RecQuery
30-Aug-11, 15:45
Fair comment but the right person is so much more than the qualification.

I'm counting relevant experience in that, not just qualification; over qualified is just the term they use and is not necessarily indicative of an actual qualification.

ducati
30-Aug-11, 15:57
I'm counting relevant experience in that, not just qualification; over qualified is just the term they use and is not necessarily indicative of an actual qualification.

Bad news Req, overqualified can mean pretentious (insert) that no one wants to work with :eek:

RecQuery
30-Aug-11, 16:00
Bad news Req, overqualified can mean pretentious (insert) that no one wants to work with :eek:

Possibly, I'm not denying there are many reasons to use it, and I've never had problems gaining employment I just think it's a bogus excuse and that people should be honest.

mi16
30-Aug-11, 17:37
There is the argument that you may become bored in a position that is beneath your capabilities and then leave the job.
hiring folk is not a cheap process.

tonkatojo
30-Aug-11, 19:17
There is the argument that you may become bored in a position that is beneath your capabilities and then leave the job.
hiring folk is not a cheap process.

Unfortunately neither is applying for a job along with god knows how many others for the same position, look at postage and stationary prices along with inks for printers for CVs. unemployed are meant to apply for jobs whether qualified or not even over qualified knowing they are just that.

mi16
30-Aug-11, 19:39
I dont think a couple of shhets of A4 and some pens etc can be classed the same as running newspaper ads, online campaigns, HR staff, medicals etc etc
There used to be a jobseekers club that gave you free computer, telephone and stationary access for job applications

tonkatojo
30-Aug-11, 19:51
I dont think a couple of shhets of A4 and some pens etc can be classed the same as running newspaper ads, online campaigns, HR staff, medicals etc etc
There used to be a jobseekers club that gave you free computer, telephone and stationary access for job applications

There is also a vast difference in the finances of both applicant and employer, these job seeker clubs were a good idea until they closed the job centres.

mi16
30-Aug-11, 19:56
There is also a vast difference in the finances of both applicant and employer, these job seeker clubs were a good idea until they closed the job centres.

What has anyones finances got to do with it?
I think we still have a job centre in the county dont we?
The jobseekers club used to be in the College if my memory serves me correctly.

tonkatojo
30-Aug-11, 20:11
[QUOTE=mi16;883050]What has anyones finances got to do with it?
The jobseekers club used to be in the College if my memory serves me correctly.[/QUOTE

Finances is every thing if your on the dole money given the cost of living going up weekly even stamps for applications are excessive and with a reply not forthcoming I am saying it is disgusting.
As for job centres did the one and only in Wick not close, I seem to remember something about that but I admit I am not sure. As for the college doubling as a job centre says just about it all to me.

manloveswife
30-Aug-11, 21:11
The saddest thing is the lack of help for youngsters actually getting into work, we loathed the YTS schemes when leaving school, but at least it gave training and in cases like mine actually led to a job and a trade.

Now the goverment don't even seem to run work based schemes to get the kids instilled with the work ethic. My Boy has left school this summer, heart set for as long as hes been able to talk on being a mechanic, helps me with allsorts of car related repairs / restorations as a hobby, hes spent 18 months doing up a dog of a 2a landrover into something pretty nice, he spent today making brake lines and fitting a new diesel tank.

He's keen but can not get a start, Richards were willing to take him in if a scheme was available, but there are none, so off to college for a training for trades course, o.k its something but it isn't work.

A little courtesy from firms acknolwedging an application or enquiry goes a long way, but what we really need is the goverment to bring back schemes that help them get into work, learn to get up early and show up even when it isn't convenient or you don't feel spot on.

With welfare reform coming, I don't see much hope for those looking for work, and not much help either, so yes, a little acknolwedgement and being told to check back from time to time goes a long way, it can't be much to ask.

mi16
30-Aug-11, 22:03
[QUOTE=mi16;883050]What has anyones finances got to do with it?
The jobseekers club used to be in the College if my memory serves me correctly.[/QUOTE

Finances is every thing if your on the dole money given the cost of living going up weekly even stamps for applications are excessive and with a reply not forthcoming I am saying it is disgusting.
As for job centres did the one and only in Wick not close, I seem to remember something about that but I admit I am not sure. As for the college doubling as a job centre says just about it all to me.

Wick jobcentre is still open, you need ot go there to sign on I think
The college was the jobclub not job centre

Leanne
31-Aug-11, 09:28
A few of my friends are in the situation of applying for jobs, in some cases hundreds of applications are made and very few get a acknowledgement, most times no replies received . Should it not be law to give a reply or even a text/email to every applicant. The ignorance of employers is beyond contempt. :(

A lot of employers simply don't have time to reply to all the applications. I was involved in shortlisting in a previous job and there were 247 applicants for one job that met the minimum criteria - many, many more that didn't.

One thing I have found is that a quick phonecall to the contact number listed on the advert to confirm receipt of your application and arrange a 'look around' shows initiative. It also allows you to present yourself in a less pressured manner which can allow you to make an impression that could be hard in interview (if you even got that far).