PDA

View Full Version : Is this genuine or a scam?

Miss Dizzy
29-Aug-11, 17:50
Today at lunchtime I received a phone call from Windows Support Online. The woman said that they had received warning messages over the last fortnight about my computer. "Not all anti-virus programs protect against all viruses" she said. I got quite rattled as she shouldn't have our number as we are registered with the TPS. "But your computer does use a windows operating system" she said, "we have everyone's contact details". At this point I said it wasn't a convenient time to discuss it, could I ring back later? She gave me a Manchester number (although on my caller display it was an International call I had received) and said they were open betweeen 11 and 6 pm. I'm reluctant to call back unless I know it's legitimate. Can anyone tell me if they've had dealings with them or it is a scam, thanks:confused

starfish
29-Aug-11, 17:52
think its a scam there was something on here a few weeks back about a scam and windows

annemarie482
29-Aug-11, 17:57
it'll be a scam, if you computer had issues it'd bee screaming at you with little click boxes all over your screen and YOU would call someone for help.
DO NOT PHONE!!!

shazzap
29-Aug-11, 18:03
Had this call, numerous times of the day. Scam.
What was the Manchester number she gave you. It would be interesting to know this.

groater
29-Aug-11, 18:06
had this same call 3 times last friday

ASmith5517
29-Aug-11, 19:02
Please see the email which I received below from the Clydesdale,

Clydesdale Bank would like to alert you to a new emerging scam. Please be wary of contact from any individuals who claim to be calling from PC security firms. They will call to advise that your PC has been affected by a malware attack. This is an attempt to gain (remote) access to your PC. If you do provide any information it is possible malware may be installed on your PC which could allow access to sensitive information, including passwords and security details. If you do receive a contact like this never provide any information or allow access to your pc. Always ensure your PC is fully protected against virus, threats and malware at all times.

Miss Dizzy
30-Aug-11, 06:13
Thank you everyone for all your help. The alarm bells were ringing with me and luckily I did not pass on any information. Hopefully this thread will serve as a warning to anyone who may be sucked in by these evil people. When I ran a full scan 23 tracking cookies were found and repaired. I am not technically minded but assume these could cause a lot of problems! Again thank you everyone!

RecQuery
30-Aug-11, 09:17
It's a really old scam that just won't die, I've seen like 20 posts on here alone about it, check here (http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/supportonclick-systemrecure-scam) for more details.

In the words of the Admiral: "It's a trap"

http://i.imgur.com/0amXu.jpg

poppett
30-Aug-11, 09:58
I always ask how they came by a private ex-directory landline number first and it is amazing how often these cowboys terminate the call at that point.

As for scams, emails are flying just now supposedly from the RBS.......look quite genuine but asking for information they should have, and calling addressee "Dear customer" not by their given name.

spurtle
30-Aug-11, 10:47
Apparently they get into your computer and plant a virus in it then charge you to remove it

katarina
30-Aug-11, 11:27
I have had two of those calls and promptly hung up. I have had a further two on Skype, both times I blocked the caller - and what happened? today I recieve a third, same words, different caller.
The latest couple of phone calls I have had is an asian accent, calling themselves by an English name, asking for some one I've never heard of. when i say, politely, you must have a wrong number, they say, Is this the householder, Yes, say I, stupidly. 'Then maybe you can help me, do not worry I am not selling anything today .... At that point I hang up, so what that particular scam is I do not know. Different callers asking for different people both times.

orkneycadian
05-Sep-11, 15:30
Finally in to catch this phone call myself today! Had some poor gentleman of foreign persuaion trying to talk me through doing something on my computer.... ;)

http://www.vavasour.ca/jeff/ts1000/

" (http://www.vavasour.ca/jeff/ts1000/)Can you see Start Button Sir? In Bottom Left of screen....?"

"Nope - Just the K Cursor!"

"What kind of Windows you have sir?"

"PVC - Double Glazed...."

He gave up in exasperation eventually! Hope I have wasted some of his day! Was fun whilst it lasted! Needless to say, he had never heard of the Sinclair ZX81!