PDA

View Full Version : Fulmars Ashore

r.rackstraw
28-Aug-11, 16:24
Looks like there has been a big wreck of fulmars judging by the numbers grounded on Dunnet Links this morning. Sometimes happens when we get a severe onshore gale at this time of year. I suppose they are young birds that have just left the nest and cannot fly in these conditions.
Will they find their way back to the sea or will they perish?

dogsbody
28-Aug-11, 18:53
It was quite distressing to see even when it is momma nature at work. I walked the dogs there this morning and tried to 'rescue' some from the surf that were drowning and put them on the safety of the dunes. Unfortunately i also had to despatch a couple that were so badly injured (broken wings, legs and head injuries) it would have been cruel to walk past. On my return home i did phone the the sspca who told me he was in inverness and could not do anything.

We counted at least 30/40 in trouble. I was interested however to note that they were the only bird in trouble, no oystercatchers or other seabirds seemed to be getting injured.

I hope the ones that made it to the dune line dried off a little, rested and will make it back! And yes my hands now stink!

domino
28-Aug-11, 21:15
pleased tto see that someone cares. I believe that was a very gracious act. I know that some say we should not interfere with nature , but, hey!!

dogsbody
28-Aug-11, 23:30
Momma nature is a very cruel beast at times and im usually all for leaving nature alone ie would never interfere with say a stoat hunting a bunny etc etc but wouldve been a poor heartless soul to just walk a foot past a drowning bird and ignore it i reckon.

Been to the beach on countless stormy days and never seen the like before. OH was a fisherman and liked the fulmars always said they were cool wee birds.

And moi and the dogs were having hard enough time walking on the beach today so the birds must have been exhausted.

r.rackstraw
29-Aug-11, 16:57
I counted 8 squashed fulmars on the Dunnet Links road today.
What a shame. How much driving skill does it take to avoid a grounded fulmar for goodness sake?

SunnyChick
30-Aug-11, 16:44
So sad, poor wee creatures.

I can't help but think that most of them must have been hit during the worst of the storm? It was nothing short of a white knuckle driving experience getting home on Sunday via that road, and I doubt that I've have swerved for them because there'd be a good chance of putting my car off the road. :O(

Nettie
10-Sep-11, 09:45
So distressing to see all those birds in trouble. I picked one up from the middle of the road and took it to Castletown harbour where I met an SSPCA lady who told me that Fulmars are unable to 'take off' unless they are in water so I was pleased to see this one returned to the harbour where it paddled back out to sea very quickly ... it did not appear to be injured in any way and it was so cross when I picked it up!!!