PDA

View Full Version : so whats the damage.......?!

annemarie482
28-Aug-11, 10:01
look out the window to inspect the damage done by the mini hurricane we're having just now.......
cars still there and in one piece (phew)
bins still in stand with contents (phew)
plants tied to poles all laid flat,
slide half way down the garden on its side,
goal posts on wrong side of garden in a heap (thank god no where near cars!)
garden is full of water too!
oh and my tatties look like they might be picking themselves!
wester loch and burn are burst
tv signal is awful
but we have still power i suppose!

got a feeling i might have got off lightly
then again, i havent checked to see if the garden shed's still there yet :eek:

cherokee
28-Aug-11, 10:07
LOL annemarie !!

Glad you got off "lightly", hope everyone else is OK as well. Pretty wild winds though and especially the "ert" its coming in from !

Beat Bug
28-Aug-11, 10:22
I have one of those mini greenhouses, which I use as a potting shed. This morning it had uprooted it's self from the back of the house, and is now collapsed outside my front door. The contents are strewn all over both the front and back gardens! Tall plants are all lying flat against the ground. Front lawn is covered in twigs and leaves. Haven't been outside to see if I stll have a greenhouse! And the dog refuses to go for a walk. Can you blame him!

Tugmistress
28-Aug-11, 10:23
So far got off more lightly than you annemarie lol,
both wheelie bins on their sides
box we use for post in the lane is now roofless
windy thing flat lined (been out and put a spare one up on the fence but it still not working so must be the main sensor unit and got soaked and blown around for nothing :( )

all in all not too bad for up here lol

i promise when i get paid i will be ordering a new station - unless anyone wants to help with a donation? lol it's on offer at £100 last time i looked ;)

robglysen
28-Aug-11, 10:43
Just got sky sports put back on so I can watch the footy, and sure enough, the day after, the dish has died, I hope its just cos its soaking wet and it'll come back to life later.
Luckily i've got a lappy plugged into the telly for Sky Go so can still watch the match.

However I do feel my troubles will be miniscule compared to what others are going to get.

Also, gutted for the relay for life cut short, but well done you're all heroes! : )

shazzap
28-Aug-11, 11:41
It's windy here today, too.
Could it be a knock on effect, from Hurricane Irene.
Or is that too far away?? Just a thought.

Tugmistress
28-Aug-11, 11:44
It's a totally separate low pressure system, the centre is somewhere over the NE of orkney or just out to sea from there.

Allthatglitters
28-Aug-11, 12:58
I am in Halkirk and outside my window where the road usually is, there is a pond. Firemen pumping water in the field at the back of the house and me trying to keep on top of the water that is coming into my shower base through the waste pipe. So much rain. If it would just stop for an hour it would be great. Still, I have had about 6 firemen in the house today so far..mmm!

annemarie482
28-Aug-11, 13:04
theres an awful lot of water falling thats for sure.
sitting in my living room watching the auckhorn burn rising rapidly!
since this morning i can hardly believe the change! its even cutting its own shorter route to the loch now.
very deep and swelling fast.
considering it usually not much more than a trickle.
as for the loch, it's creeping closer! lol

lindsaymcc
28-Aug-11, 13:12
Actually really surprised we havent lost the trampoline yet! Wheelie Bins still upright..... although its blowing a gale out there, we seem to be doing ok!

billmoseley
28-Aug-11, 13:18
gutting off the seaward side of the house, cloch ripped to pieces, chickens staying in bed and wife fallen down the stairs so not such a good day so far. she is ok ish by the way

poppett
28-Aug-11, 14:27
two wheelie bins blew out of their sheltered corner and round onto the path at the side of the house, effectively blocking the path. Wrestled them back where they belonged and jammed them in tighter, but not sure they will stay there.

stekar
28-Aug-11, 16:15
Garden gnomes have committed suicide....laid on their backs with their feet up in the air.

annmarie
28-Aug-11, 21:03
tell me whole croft under water

cherokee
28-Aug-11, 21:11
Just noticed that you're still "on" Tuggs .......

please, please, please give us an update on what the weather will be like tomorrow.........think that there are quite a few of us desperate for at least some "dry" weather...........

Thinking of you annemarie.........PM me if you need help lassie !!!

Tugmistress
28-Aug-11, 21:18
Wind should be noticeably eased off by 6am tomorrow morning, chance of showers for most of the week, but also some sunny spells and wind virtually non existent after tuesday for a day or two. Wednesday and thursday are looking quite good :)

Not exactly what we need, sorry :(

cherokee
28-Aug-11, 21:34
Thanks Tuggs !!

So I take it that the N/Nw winds at the strength they have been in the last 24 hours will at, the very least, die off ?

I dinna mind rain and I dinna mind a wee breeze, but ma hoose (nor ma kitchen floor now !) just canna take the two together when we're talking 20/30 mile an 'oor win' !!!

Maccy
28-Aug-11, 21:49
Thanks Tuggs !!

So I take it that the N/Nw winds at the strength they have been in the last 24 hours will at, the very least, die off ?

I dinna mind rain and I dinna mind a wee breeze, but ma hoose (nor ma kitchen floor now !) just canna take the two together when we're talking 20/30 mile an 'oor win' !!!

If your hoose canna take 20/30 mile an hour winds its about time to move out of your tent. lol.

Tugmistress
28-Aug-11, 21:50
yes it'll die off to better levels through the night now, and altogether by late tuesday evening i should think :)

cherokee
28-Aug-11, 21:55
yes it'll die off to better levels through the night now, and altogether by late tuesday evening i should think :)

Thanks Tuggs !! :)

NLP
28-Aug-11, 22:42
Actually really surprised we havent lost the trampoline yet! Wheelie Bins still upright..... although its blowing a gale out there, we seem to be doing ok!

Trampoline landed on the swing and bashed 2 poles so it's out of action until dad can fix it.

Torvaig
29-Aug-11, 00:25
Can't help but think that you should have taken your trampolines down the minute you heard there was going to be high winds! They are really a danger if they do take off...... and this weather didn't exactly creep up on us.

Good luck with keeping a hold of them!

annemarie482
29-Aug-11, 00:43
mine was taken down a couple weeks ago during the last bad wind,
dont think there's anything that'd stop them flying, except putting away! lol

Metalattakk
29-Aug-11, 02:40
Got off lightly, two wheelie-bins had a wee bit of a lie doon, that was all.

demac-artist
29-Aug-11, 17:34
Crapped falling down the chimney so had firemen out to unblock it as its an open chute all the way up the rain poured in and wet all the soot and landed down at the bottom so got off lightly with a smoke filled room - i only swept the chimney in july and I am told by the council guy that we were not the only ones on Sunday to have this problem hope nobody got any worse than a little smoke - fingers crossed hoping.