PDA

View Full Version : Help, My ceeling is leeking!!

jimi1981
28-Aug-11, 09:07
Woke up this morning to find my ceeling leeking. Does anyone know who i can call on a Sunday to come and have a look at this?

NickInTheNorth
28-Aug-11, 09:19
private - council or housing association?

cherokee
28-Aug-11, 09:21
Ha, ha - so's mine !!!!!! AARRGGGHHHHH !! Got a swimming pool where the floor once was !! :eek: :eek:

jimi1981
28-Aug-11, 09:44
Its private but my landlords live in Canada!!

NickInTheNorth
28-Aug-11, 09:47
well in that case you could get a roofer / builder to take a look, but you may end up with the bill. Try and contact the landlord first!

cherokee
28-Aug-11, 09:55
I contacted the company who originally did the roof and I'm just waiting for them to come out - don't know what they can do in this wild weather though....?

Must say they were very helpful considering I phoned them at 9am on a Sunday morning !!

annemarie482
28-Aug-11, 09:59
glad they're coming out to look, but doubt they'll go on the roof until the wind dies down though. its wild out there!

cherokee
28-Aug-11, 10:03
glad they're coming out to look, but doubt they'll go on the roof until the wind dies down though. its wild out there!

I know annemarie !! Doubt if they'll be able to do anything today......should have asked them to take out more basins and towels though, LOL :lol: !!!
(Och, if I dinna laugh aboot it, I'm gonna cry :( !!!!!)

jimi1981
28-Aug-11, 10:07
I contacted the company who originally did the roof and I'm just waiting for them to come out - don't know what they can do in this wild weather though....?

Must say they were very helpful considering I phoned them at 9am on a Sunday morning !!
What company did you phone. Could you give me the number? Thanks.

cherokee
28-Aug-11, 10:08
I'll PM the details to you jimi.......

jimi1981
28-Aug-11, 10:13
Thanks would be a great help :)

annemarie482
28-Aug-11, 10:14
I know annemarie !! Doubt if they'll be able to do anything today......should have asked them to take out more basins and towels though, LOL :lol: !!!
(Och, if I dinna laugh aboot it, I'm gonna cry :( !!!!!)

if you've lost tiles i hope they haven't hit anything!
yeah not good at all, maybe they can plug the hole from the inside of your roof until the weather improves to sort the roof. fingers crossed anyway!
also fingers crossed the wind doesnt lift more either! x

buddy
28-Aug-11, 12:22
Mine too! woke up to find dining room floor flooded, the flat roof is leaking where it joins onto the house. So if anyone knows who fixes flat
roofs in Thurso please let me know mine is a private house. I wouldnt want anyone out in this weather to fix it a pan and towels are doing
the trick for now:)

orkneycadian
28-Aug-11, 12:23
You wont be able to fix your flat roof till its dry anyway! ;)

cherokee
28-Aug-11, 18:46
Well jimi and buddy, I really hope you both managed to get your leaks contained to some degree and that you were as fortunate as me to have someone come and check on your roof's on a Sunday ! :)

A nice wee chap came around this morning, after my phone call and even went up on the roof, in oilskins (:eek:)......to look for any obvious damage.

Nothing that he could see that's obvious, like missing slates etc. Anyways they're coming back out tomorrow when, hopefully, it'll at least be dry enough to sort things out.

Just rotating basin, casserole dishes and towels as and when they get full/soaked, is the only thing I can do for tonight, LOL !! :lol:

buddy
28-Aug-11, 18:51
Ha ha! Yeh ive emptied my pan once so far today so not too bad and towels are doing a great job. Hopefully the rain will stop or
the wind will change soon:)

cherokee
28-Aug-11, 19:09
Ha ha! Yeh ive emptied my pan once so far today so not too bad and towels are doing a great job. Hopefully the rain will stop or
the wind will change soon

Yep, buddy, towels do a great job when your floor is flooded !!
:cool:
Mind you then they all have to be washed and dried afterwards, LOL !!
:eek:
Glad you only emptied your pan once today, my 1ltr glass bowl has been emptied twice and is now about 1/3 full again and the kitchen basin.....well it took over from the 1ltr glass bowl (I found a new home for it about a foot away closer to the oven - guess it was feeling chilly !) about 2.30pm and is now about half full.....and thats with a huge bath towel in it ( to try and stop the "drip, drip, drip" sound, LOL )

I will laugh about this tomorrow.................................mmmmmmmmm m [evil]

kriklah
28-Aug-11, 22:16
leaky roofs and wet towels, hmmmm where've i heard that before? ohh, my house!!! and all before this latest rain started!..

i have 3 flatroofs on this house, one of which has a well established leak through the bathroom ceiling, another roof that we managed to temporarly fix last year, all need major repair/replace and i already have quotes for the job, which no way can i afford this year, so its diy patching till next summer.

strangely enough, the well established leak hasnt put in an appearance with this rain,(touch wood!!) but another, non flatroof related roof leak has reared its ugly head and overflowed the bucket in the attic, and leaked through another ceiling.

prior to this rain, i had a leaking water pipe in the upstairs bathroom which dripped through to the kitchen ceiling, got that one fixed easy, but to really hammer the nail home, my washingmachine sprang a leak a couple of weeks ago and im still waiting on parts, so needless to say, with all the leaking water, the wet towels are becoming a rather soggy issue!!!!

NLP
28-Aug-11, 22:38
Mine to, thankfully the leak is easing as the night is going on.

ss.sv650
31-Aug-11, 01:24
me as well called the ins co and got told it will be 3 to 5 days before anyone can get back to me !! thats some use when ma house is filling up !!!